The Tea thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BlueRidge, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Nan

Nan Just me

For whatever reason, my father's doctor told him not to drink coffee, so he was a tea drinker. There was nothing more special than having a cup of tea with Dad on a Saturday morning. Anytime we had colds, my mother would fix tea with honey and lemon (and a dash of whisky!) and it always made us feel much better.....wonder why? :lol:

I like fruit and spice flavored teas (black, green and white) better than anything with mint and I've never put milk in tea, but I feel like I need to try it at least once. I do drink iced tea (Luzianne is my favorite) with either lemon or a splash of cranberry juice in it.

2. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I only like green tea. My favourite is mint green tea but I also really like the fruity types and plain.

3. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Republic of Tea vanilla almond for me this morning. With Splenda. Tastes creamy even without milk or creamer.

Another point -- I hate the combination of lemon and caffeine. I can't stand lemon in my black tea, either hot or iced, nor when servers put a lemon wedge in my diet Coke.

But a fruity herbal tea with lemon flavoring would be fine. Not usually my favorite, though.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Lemon is gross when it ventures into verbena territory, which to me is the smell and taste of dish soap. My morning's cup today is a blend called Lady Londonderry, which has subtle notes of strawberry and lemon - you can't actually taste either, but the overall effect is light and springy and pretty.

I'll take lemon in iced tea, but never in hot tea.

5. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm, tea! Time to have another one. BRB.
    OK, kettle is on and I'm here with all my teas.

I start my day with a large mug of Tetley regular tea. Not too strong, but with milk and sugar -- just the way both my grandpa and papere gave it to me as a toddler. Yep, been "drinking" tea for over 5 decades now :D

Later in the morning, I sometimes have another tea -- usualy more Tetley. If I have a tea in the afternoon or the evening, I use one of the flavours which my DD (dear daughter) gave to me as a Christmas gift. She goes to school out east and went to some special store where she purchased a box of DavidsTea which are user-friendly, enviro-friendly way to settp our high-quality loose tea. Oh yeah, she also got me five packets of flavour teas cause I do love flavoured teas -- my favourite was also a Tetley tea called Summer Berry. The five teas she got me were
    1) Organiz Razzmatazz. It's an herbal infusion that is supposed to taste like a ripe, juicy berry. Contains rosehips, lemongrass, lemon verbena, hibiscus, rooibos, raspberries, stevia.
    2) Bear Trap. An herbal fruit infusion that is caffeine-free with elderberries, apples, rosehips, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, strawberry leaves, lemon verbena, cherries, blueberries, papaya, black currant & raisins. WOW!
    3) Pineapple oolong. I have NO idea what is oolong but it has fruit so DD got it for me. Contains Tie Kwan Yin oolong, pineapple, apricot.
    4) Organic Blueberry Jam -- a black tea. It contains black team, blueberries, elderberries, pink cornflower petals, stevia. Apparently it's supposed t obe the perfect companion to my morning toast. Too bad I don't do morning toast :p
    and last but not least, my favourite of the five
    Sweet Strawberry. It's a premium grade WHITE tea with strawberries, rosehips, white silver needles, hibiscus, stevia. It says that it's "fresh and fruity blend is like spring in a cup". Ahhhh, I do like spring and I love this tea.

Now when I'm off to a hockey game -- or a figure skating comp -- I like to bring a thermos of tea and since I can't find Summer Berry, hubby has found something that is almost as nice. It's by President's Choice and called Raspberry Thriller. I absolutely love it! I let my Canadians roomie try it and I think she found it OK (right flowerpower?)

Now can you see a general trend here? If you are thinking -- she's fruity, you would be CORRECT!!!!!

Thanks for the wonderful thread. Time to go finish making that cup of Tetley now that I'm sure the kettle has boiled.

6. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

That's how I feel about it.

I do think the tea pyramid shaped bags work pretty well though, its just the traditional bag that really doesn't do it for me.

By dint of personality, I drink the same tea every day and have for years. I order a 2 lb bag of Assam every six months from Choice Organic Teas.

I like lots of other tea but stick with that most of the time.

I don't like herb tea as well because of the lack of body and I can't drink caffeinated drinks past morning so I drink a lot of coffee-substitute stuff like Caffix or Pero.

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Darjeeling. With milk. Twinings. Every morning and throughout the day.

I have a small packet of gold tip Assam, which is wonderful as a special treat, lots of Republic of Tea white teas and green teas, and because it is illegal to live here without a full supply of Celestial Seasonings teas, a drawer full of them. (Blueberry is my current favorite. Can't find the Black Cherry one in the store & must venture over to Celestial's plant to get some.)

The Lady Londonderry sounds lovely. Where do you get it?

My favorite place to go out for tea: http://www.boulderteahouse.com/about-the-teahouse/ I've never been to Tajikistan, but the beautiful building they sent is an incredible visual feast, and their tea menu is a feast for other senses.

8. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Our local tea shop is Capital Teas. They aren't a cafe just a tea shop but they always have samples brewing. And you can order over the internet from them.

9. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I also stick to loose leaf, and prefer robust black teas, either Assam on its own, or English Breakfast/Irish Breakfast/Russian caravan teas. With or without a dash of milk. I also love chai masala (with lots of milk and honey) and the occasional fruity blend, or coconut or vanilla. Heck, as long as it's black loose leaf I'll probably enjoy it. ;)

While I like the taste of floral green tea blends, green tea sometimes makes me nauseated, and while I can handle white tea better it's a little too mild for my tastes. When it's too late in the day for caffeine I stick to herbal teas.

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I've never been much of a black tea fan, except as iced tea. I pretty much only drank it when it was served "at tea time" with my various elderly English relatives. And the last of those just died last month. :(

The only other time I drink black tea is as chai. With or without Indian food.

I like green tea, but don't make it for myself all that often. Mostly I just drink it at Japanese or Chinese or Vietnamese restaurants. I did buy some amazing green tea with sour cherry from Silk Road Tea in Victoria, though -- that's a new favourite.

The only variety of tea that I make for myself with any regularity is roibos. Either plain or flavoured -- my current picks are Tuscan Pear Roibos and Ginger Roibos from the Granville Island Tea Company.

As yummy as David's Teas are, I find most of them to be too kitschy and so full of other stuff to be really called tea. I mean, candy lips? C'mon! But they are tasty!

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

ITA. My very first afternoon tea was at the Brown's hotel in London. Set a nice standard but the Palace Hotel in San Francisco keeps it up nicely. I am constantly looking for excuses to invite a few gal pals for tea. Guys I know generally roll their eyes at this. Their loss, more for me! :D

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I used to be hypersensitive to caffeine and if I had a few cups of black tea in the afternoon, I was guaranteed a sleepless night. Now it seems, I have a bit more tolerance.

As far as avoidance, it depends on how it makes you feel and as long as you don't drink a lot and every day. Everything in moderation. Does it make you feel jittery? Or just gives you a nice boost of energy? Also, I saw a study that depending on your genetic makeup, caffeine can either be your friend or your foe in terms of cardiovascular health. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing one way or another unless you have the genetic test performed. Doubt it's standard of care at the moment, although I think it should be. Could be a great money saver since there many people drinking caffeine and working their way into heart disease. Could be me for all I know.

13. Artemis@BC

Forgot to say ... I wish I could like the taste of matcha! It's so good for you, but to me it tastes like dirty grass. I'll add some if I'm making a smoothie, but I don't make smoothies that often. The only other way I've found to make it palatable is to add so much sweetener and other stuff that it kind of defeats the purpose!

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sorry to hear that, but glad you have the happy memories :) Tea can be something for generations, no? Like professordeb mentioned above in her family?

As kid I read a lot of English school stories, then later Agatha Christie and other novels, and watched all the British series on PBS with my mom. I was obsessed even then with the idea of Afternoon Tea, and I remember a happy two weeks at the family cottage with my mom, sister and our schoolfriends where we made a new cake every afternoon to have with our tea :) When I finally got to have actual Afternoon Tea with all the trimmings, I found heaven.

Also barbk missed your post earlier - I think Lady Londonderry is a known blend, but I get mine at a local tea purveyor that sells Metropolitan Teas (Canadian tea supplier). I think if you search around you might be able to find another supplier in the US for mail order.

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Haven't been to either - would LOVE to do Brown's! - but I always try to have a fancy hotel tea wherever I travel, and have sought out tea rooms wherever I've lived and traveled. There was a simply fabulous tea shop in the neighbourhood where we used to live that sadly closed after about 5 years. The owner did everything right, and before she closed shared her secrets with me - turns out her scones and several sandwiches were from Taking Tea at the Savoy, which I already owned! I've made the scones successfully, but somehow the sandwiches just aren't the same, so I'm continuing to work on that. As anyone in the various FSU food threads knows, I am a collector of cookbooks, and have a shelf devoted to books on tea :)

Anyway, the best Afternoon Tea within reach of most of us that I can very highly recommend is The Pierre in NY. Unlike many hotels that shove guests through in shifts with dry little scones and sandwiches that have seen too much fridge time, The Pierre is completely fresh, and VERY generous with the sandwiches and sweets, in a lovely setting right across from Central Park.

As for excuses to go, I think most of my Afternoon Teas have been on my own - I bring a good book, ask for a cosy corner or window seat, and indulge.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Since you're a fan of the fruity tea I just bought this Republic of Tea Pomegranate Green that might appeal to you.

17. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Thanks. I have a few pomegranate green teas that I like, but I prefer fruity green teas iced rather than hot. For some reason, they're just too sweet when hot. So I guess I'm looking for non fruity green teas?

18. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I love tea as well. I'm a Twinings fan, and love many of their flavors. Years ago, a co-worker turned me on to Black Current tea - it's wonderful! If you've never had it, it's a black tea with fruit, a very nice combo. I'm a decaf drinker as well, so I was glad to find many of the teas I like in decaf versions online.

Mostly I make it from a bag for convenience sake, but nothing beats a lovely weekend morning with tea the proper way - tea pot, tea cups/saucers (bought a nice set on ebay), loose leaf tea, strainers, and lumps of sugar with milk. Wonderful!

19. Artemis@BC

^ Hardly radical, but jasmine green tea is a combo I quite like. The jasmine adds a slight sweetness, but not as much as fruit. They're not all created equal of course -- I think the last box I bought that was good was a Canadian brand so no good to you.

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sounds heavenly! I'm an early riser, so as I sit here at my desk I'm dreaming of the day when it will finally be warm enough to take a nice big mug of tea out to the snow covered deck chair I can see out my window and enjoy that quiet time before the world wakes up.

I love Twinings jasmine tea - I buy it loose, in the pretty purple tin. I love the smell of it while I wait for it to cool down enough to drink.

21. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

22. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I'm primarily a coffee drinker, but I love tea also. My favorite tea is English Breakfast, with about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar but no milk. I also drink black tea unsweetened but prefer it sweetened, but always drink hot green tea unsweetened. I drink decaf tea when I can get it (also decaf coffee whenever I have the choice.)

Dunkin' Donuts has very good iced tea and also hot vanilla chai. My favorite bottled cold tea is Lipton Green Tea with Honey. I love Turkey Hill diet green tea and Arizona's Arnold Palmer zero. I prefer real sugar in hot tea but like the diet iced teas. I used to love Celestial Seasonings Iced Delight tea bags but these seem to have been discontinued. That was so refreshing all by iteself - no sweetener needed.

I've used a number of throat teas and breathe-easy teas, especially Yogi Tea brand. Those are great for when I have a cold or other congestion. Chai is also very good for that.

Something else I love that I don't think anyone else has mentioned - Green Tea Ice Cream! A few of my favorite local Asian restaurants offer that.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  23. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

I do like jasmine green tea. I think I have Twinings right now. That's going to be my afternoon/early evening tea while working late tonight.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Another great way to drink tea - with booze :)

This is a fabulous cocktail by one of NY's top cocktail masters - I've had (um, many) at the Pegu Club, and also made it at home (this is what we drank the evening of Kate and William's wedding!) - ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Earl Grey Martini.

25. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

In north Alabama, the height of tea culture is sickeningly sweet iced tea. Some things are slow to arrive here, thankfully we at least have yoga or I would be mad as a hatter.

My current favourite is Rishi organic jasmine pearl green tea, prepared in a ceramic teapot with a strainer for the tea balls. I drink it hot in the winter, then over ice in the summer.

No milk, lemon, or sweetener with green tea. With black or white tea, I use a small spoonful of xylitol sweetener or truvia.

Great thread, btw. I've written down a lot of suggestions and have quite a cart going at amazon.com. :swoon:

26. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

My favourite tea right now is a loose black tea flavoured with apple and ginger, from Indiska. I drink it from a bigass mug (this one), infused in an adorable little tea robot. :) I also like Twinings Voyage Indian Chai, as well as their "Söder Te", which I think is called "Tastes of Summer" abroad. It's flavoured with strawberry, orange peel, rose petals, elderberry, elderflowers, marigold petals, and some vanilla, and it's lovely. I have those in regular bags, though. I can't always be bothered with loose leaves. :shuffle:

Also, I have two teapots, one big and one small (both from Indiska), and I rarely use them - but I still think I need this one, too. :swoon:

27. Artemis@BC

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

29. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Okay, my favorites list at the The Tea Table consits of:

1. Bourbon Sunday Blend, which is like dessert in a cup, seriously, particularly sweetened with milk. From TTT: "a black tea blend of tippy Assam teas combined with real Bourbon vanilla pieces, giving it a wonderfully sweet aroma." I used to drink it as a treat on weekends, and stick with my Earl Grey on weekdays. Speaking of which...

2. Earl Grey Cream. "This blend combines the finest black tea along with Earl Grey's signature bergamot flavor. It also boasts a smooth creaminess with vanilla overtones for a special experience in tea flavor."

3. Masala Chai, my winter favorite that I may have already linked to earlier, I can't remember. As soon as the first snow fell in Michigan I'd be drinking Masala Chai with a goood book.

4. Bingo Blueberry, a caffeine-free delicious fruit blend I mostly drank in the summer.

5. Natural Peppermint, my year-round go-to tea. I never get sick of peppermint tea, ever.

6. Apple Cinnamon Tea, my favorite herbal tea in the wintertime, spicy but caffeine-free so I would drink it when it was too late in the afternoon or evening to have another cup of Masala Chai!

7. Casablanca, the best-selling herbal tea on the site. It's not my favorite, incidentally, but it was the tea I would sometimes make when I'd stuck to a routine for a while and wanted something different. "Contains dried apple pieces, hibiscus, rose hip peels, elderberries, raspberry, strawberry, kiwi, and passion fruit pieces, sunflower, cornflower, and rose petals, and natural flavors."

8. Chamomile Mint tea. I adore this chamomile blend so much. It was always my favorite before-bed tea. The only reason I don't drink it as regularly as I like is that there is some herb in it that tends to stick to the sides of whatever infuser or brew basket I am using and is hard to get off :( But it's so delicious sometimes I make it anyway and put up with the scrubbing and any residue that sticks. What I need to get is a separate infuser just for this tea, lol.

Yeah, so those are all my favorite. I miss all of these so much. I brought a selection of the earl grey, peppermint, and the almond tea from the ann arbor tea haus with me but I ran out long ago.

30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wow, you all are inspiring me to try different kinds of teas!

Been a tea drinker since I guess middle/high school and becoming kind of an Anglophile through reading. My usual daily 2-3 cups are some sort of black tea. Lipton if I get desperate; PG Tips or Yukon Gold are definitely better; Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast when I have it in stock (only get to TJ's every few months, as it's a 1.5 hr drive). I do have some loose tea--hubby gave me some excellent Yunnan Gold and Valentine Tea a couple of years back from Adagio. I generally prefer strong teas.

I'll try whatever is the house blend at various Asian restaurants, always, but never remember what they're called. I drink some herbal tea, too--Celestial Seasonings is easy to come by (they used to have something called Citrus C or something like that that was FAB--fruity and strong but not too sweet--but I don't think they carry it any more). Green tea scared me for a while because I read somewhere that it increased your fertility, maybe, and I did NOT want to get pregnant again!! :lol: