the TARDIS rides again -- Doctor Who Season 8

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Holy sonic screwdrivers, it's almost time! August 23. Mark your calendars!

Who else is excited for Peter Capaldi?

I also see that they're doing movie-theatre broadcasts of the season premier, "Deep Breath." Since I don't get Space and have to watch online, I might just have to go. Monday Aug 25. In Canada at Cineplex: http://www.cineplex.com/Movie/doctor-who-season-premiere-deep-breath

2. Artemis@BC

3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I'm just hoping that one of these days Doctor Who will wise up and dress appropriately. You know, like exercise wear, instead of a suit and tie? The latter being totally impractical. Sweats would make MUCH more sense ;)

4. Artemis@BC

LOL! Tho I don't imagine 12 will be doing nearly as much running as 10 or 11.

5. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I am so excited. I can't wait. I want my Doctor nooooooow.

6. Artemis@BC

Ooh, goodie, I see that Cineplex has a repeat broadcast scheduled for Saturday the 30th. Good to have options.

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Well, no, but it always gets messy mixing with alien types. Much better to get nasty ectoplasm all over the cheap sweats than the nice tie & suit ;)

8. znachki

znachki Active Member

I am so excited for Capaldi's Doctor. I'm really looking forward to a less "romantic" Doctor. Give me some edges! Not to mention that Capaldi is (IMO) the best actor of the new Whos - possibly of all of them. Let's just hope the scripts serve him well. Four more sleeps!

9. Artemis@BC

10. Artemis@BC

Yes x3! I also hope the older 12 will rub off on Clara and give her a little more substance. And maybe a little more human too.

11. znachki

znachki Active Member

I think the problem with Clara is that she was really designed as a plot device, and not a character. I've never really warmed to her. It would be nice to see some character development.

Also - re Capaldi, I love how excited he is. Much has been made of the fact that he watched from the Hartnell days, and even wrote to the magazine. When he did "Fires of Pompeii", the first thing he wanted to do when he got on set, was seethe TARDIS. But, I think my favorite is a recent interview where he says something like - I wake up and I'm still Doctor Who!

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm not even a Doctor fan, but I loved him in The Musketeers, so will need to check out a few episodes now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SollAeH1YZk

13. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

You should also check out his episodes in "Torchwood: Children of Earth." He was A-MA-ZING.

14. StitchMonkey

StitchMonkey Active Member

As excited as I am for Capaldi, I am going to be very broken hearted if he does not make a comment about not being ginger. I have a ginger significant other I really want to convince to to go to comicon in costume, and if he dies not do the ginger line. . . well the fight is hard enough as is.

Fingers crossed for the ginger tradition!

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Children of Earth is on my list now. Thanks for letting me know!

16. znachki

znachki Active Member

Still getting the hang of the new quote thing. Let's try that again

17. Artemis@BC

That's a very specific request! LOL

If Doctor Who didn't have a significant child audience they could always do a joke about 12 being grey on top but ginger below ... :saint:

StitchMonkey likes this.
  18. znachki

znachki Active Member

Also add "Local Hero", a charming movie from the 1980's and, I think, his first movie role. Oh, and if you watch the third series of "Prime Suspect", the one with Helen Mirren, you'll see a whole different side of him.

Not that I've seen everything he's done...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  19. znachki

znachki Active Member

Really enjoyed that. Must watch again. Loved Capaldi.

20. beepbeep

beepbeep Finally convinced Fabian to shave

I'm going with the rest of the internet and say Madame Vastra, Jenny and Strax need their own show.

21. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I quite like the revised opening theme.

22. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

Capaldi was good, and I too am looking forward to not having to suffer the inappropriate romantic tension between the Doctor and his companions (I am old-school Who - the Doctor should be asexual and all relationships platonic). Just couldn't get into the story though. So not much change from the previous season for me.

Didn't particularly like the whiny revision of the theme music either, or the Star Trek:Next Generation style consoles at the side of the TARDIS control room (did like the line about needing more round things though).

What the hell is it with new-Who and dragging out the regenerations? The phone call thing at the end had me going "Not again!" reminding me of Tennant's ridiculously drawn out saying goodbye scenes).

LilJen likes this.
  23. Artemis@BC

It took me a while to get into this episode -- despite the presence of Vastra-Jenny-Strax, who I always enjoy seeing. I guess I was like Clara, taking a while to warm to the new Doctor, despite my anticipation of him. Makes sense, though -- he's always a bit fuzzy after regeneration.

Anyway, by the end I was very much into it. I'm already seeing improvements in Clara's character.

And I forgave the writers for not writing a regeneration scene because of how great the phone call was at the end -- don't mind admitting I cried at that.

And I love, love, love the new opening titles. All that wonderful timey wimey stuff!

Fave lines:

"I'm Scottish, I can really complain about things."

and

Old guy in alley: "What delviry is this?"
    Doctor: "I don't know, but I blame the English."

24. znachki

znachki Active Member

I was in right away - big surprise right? :D But, I have to say, the scene with half-face guy, when he talked about whether he have to kill him really sealed the deal for me.

I know, right? The scenes with Vastra and the 1/2 face guy are some of the best she's ever had.

And the weird music. Some people didn't like it, but it was more electronic, which reminded me of the old themes.

Lots of Easter eggs for the more obsessive among us, and the call back to Girl in the Fireplace was nice.

I'd give the ep 8/10. Capaldi was terrific, the script was so-so, and maybe the extra long format of the ep did more harm than good.

25. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

The old man in the alley is Elisabeth Sladen's widower, Brian Miller.

Bunny Hop and pollyanna like this.
  26. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Who is the Paradise woman ? I'm already dying to know. ARG.

27. Artemis@BC

I'm assuming that will be this season's continuing mystery thread. :watch:

28. Artemis@BC

BTW, Space has two new specials available: The Ultimate Time Lord and The Ultimate Companion. Both hosted/narrated by Peter Davison. I've watched the Time Lord one -- a bit silly in places but still fun. (Interview with Peter Capaldi was, not surprisingly, the best part.) I'm going to watch the Companion one later.

I'm guessing they were on BBC America as well -- yes?

29. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

On the companion special, I did find it interesting that Sarah Sutton (Nyssa) and Janet Fielding (Teagan) were there but not Matthew Waterhouse... Still no Adric love?

30. znachki

znachki Active Member

Yep - they were. BBCA also did an after show hosted by Chris Harwicke of The Nerdist, guests included, Mark Gatiss and Dan Starkey (Strax) also whofans Wil Wheaton, Natalie Morales, and - Alton Brown. Brown has actually come up with a Fish Fingers and Custard recipe that looks really good. Recipe: The custard isn't sweet, which of course isn't like the original, but heck!

Also in the course of the conversation Hardwicke made a comment that I loved and I think I might make my sig line "The Dalek is the Spirit Animal of the Internet".

Also, found this article that was written before the new season. Article: Funny over all, and a pretty good explanation of Who for the uninitiated. What I really found interesting was the section about Moffat, and the criticism of the way he writes women. Just a snip of it:

Food for thought.