The Skating Podcast - Upcoming interview with Frank Carroll

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by DBZ, Mar 31, 2013.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

In your world, yes. Elsewhere....probably not so much (or not at all). At least I don't see anyone else jumping to the conclusion that an interview with Frank Carroll is an excuse to attack him because of what happened in 2010.

And I'm not sure how you know what's going to be covered in the interview, since it hasn't been posted yet.

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

So did I read somewhere that the interview with Frank Carroll will be posted on April 16?

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From earlier in the thread:

4. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I can't wait !

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I don't want to rehash the 2010 quad stuff (and would prefer for caseyedwards to drop it, too), but this is simply not true. Lysacek and especially Carroll made all sorts of critical comments about other skaters and about the judging in the year leading up to Vancouver, aggressively so in some cases. This included Carroll discussing Joubert's World Champion bonus; arguing after CoC that the edge calls were the result of French/Russian tech callers trying to look out for their skaters at Lysacek's expense while Evan remarked about the judges' poor eyesight; all sorts of whining about the scoring at 2010 US Nats, how Lysacek was lowballed on PCS compared to the past (not true) and comments that seemed to cheapen Abbott's win; and of course, the business with Plushenko (I'd still love to see a precise transcript of what was said at that Bratislava press conference).

It is easy to be sportsmanlike when you win; it is harder to be sportsmanlike when you don't. And anyway, Jeffrey Buttle did a far better job addressing comments about the relative importance of the quad when he won 2008 Worlds, and he had to do it off the cuff with no time to prepare his response or get friendly journalists to help sell his argument.

I seem to recall Dave having a post back in 2010 about the impressive politikking job Carroll did for Lysacek, though I think it was deleted along with the rest of his original AJ blog some time later. I'd love for Dave and Jenny to discuss something along those lines with him, as well as his fondness for conspiracy theories and other complaints, but it doesn't strike me as that sort of interview.

I was kind of struck by that myself. ;)

More on topic, I wish Dave and Jenny would provide transcripts or at least highlights from their interviews. I don't like watching video interviews, but would be very interested to read some of what they're doing.

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I've never seen someone so obsessed with something relating to skating in my years on this Board.

----------------------------

Anyway, back to FC. So many topics to cover. As stated above. I hope he is candid! -

1.Fratianne - closeness of the relationship; his take on her heartbreaking loss in 1980
    2.Chin- major talent impeded by her mother Marjorie; 3x in practice; Tiffany leaving around 1982 or 1983 and coming back by 1986; what he thinks happened to her jumps along the way where she could only do a 3toe by 1985.
    3.Bowman - drugs sex rock n roll; his deep talent and reportedly terrible work ethic; 'winging it' at important competitions
    4.Kwan- becoming a Senior behind his back in 1992(?); what process effected her transformation from jumping bean in 1995 to elite ice queen; why he thinks she would hold back enough at an Olympics ('98) or choke ('02) enough to let the competition slide by, when that didn't happen at Worlds; of course, parting of ways in an olympic year which was a jarring decision.
    5.Kirk, Nikodinov - ladies that worked with him briefly. General opinions on them.
    6.Nagasu - a lot here, too! Opinion on why a deeply talented skater can never seem to consistently deliver.

7. KCC

KCC Active Member

While I would love to hear his take on the skaters, I am also interested in him. His coaching style, practices, what he considers as his coaching strengths, what he emphasizes, what he sees that others do not, how he motivates others, how he deals with disappointment, etc. I would also like to hear what he thinks needs to change in the judging system, how he works with choreographers, and what he would like his legacy to be. Having never really seen him skate much, I would like to see him do a few elements on the ice.

8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Yeah they are going to interview Carroll and talk about bowman and goebel but not lysacek? That makes sense. He is listed second in the Facebook announcement preview!

Buttle and lysacek just repeated the same stuff as to when it was stojko vs eldredge and it was all it's more than one jump.

What's to be struck by? It was the Olympics! The precious three were won by men who did quads. Plushenko was totally on giving his best performance of the season and one actually better than his 2006 skate because there was no doubling of a jump. Chan fell twice and he was penalized by what about the great record breaking short program?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:wall: I give up. Someone needs to change the name of this thread.

10. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

No, a certain someone just needs to stop hijacking the thread with tangential diatribes that have no real relevance to the topic at hand.

It would also help if others stopped feeding it.

11. caseyedwards

This is relevant. He was the coach. They're his Statments. His student. But no more until the interview is out. Then it can be seen if they even treat the win as controversial. It was controversial and radical system changes were done but theyre both big fans so it may not be even discussed the way it should be! She's a former student of his.

12. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

Awesome; can't wait for this interview!

13. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

The ignore button is your friend. ;)

14. reese

reese Well-Known Member

15. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Jenny said that the interview may be posted as early as tomorrow.

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Ouch on Irina!

17. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Oh boy... :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the whole video though. Among people they interviewed so far, Frank is probably the most high profile one who is still relevant in elite skating?

18. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I spoke to Dave and it will be posted in 2 parts (2 hours total) and part 1 will be posted tomorrow.

19. caseyedwards

If he's still bashing slutskaya so harshly I can imagine what he might do against someone who competed agaisnt a current student who didn't fire him!! Lol!

20. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Well I guess that answers the "will he be candid?" question. :D

Thank god too. I want to hear this man's personal opinions, not a bunch of PC answers and platitudes. Hopefully the rest of the interview plays out as such.

21. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the interview.

22. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Oh please, please, please let it be posted tomorrow.

23. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

24. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Eh, I'd like to see the entire interview already. I'm not interested in teasers.

What is it, a technical-related hold-up?

26. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member