The Skating Lesson Podcast

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSfan107, Jan 2, 2013.

1. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

The cast of characters behind these podcasts.... helpful? looking for solutions or just controversy/axes to grind? Time will tell I guess.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Hey but stop and think for a minute. Do you realize the time, passion and preparation that is involved in creating the podcasts that Allison Manley singlehandedly and successfully developed? The “they” on the “Manleywoman site” is only Allison Manley and more recently a handful of volunteers who are helping her transcribe highlights from some of the podcasts. The transcriptions make it more convenient for fans to peruse interviews they haven’t had a chance to listen to, or wish to read/ revisit for enjoyment after having listened on an earlier occasion. Possibly you don’t realize the magnitude of the effort it takes to act on an idea or to realize one’s vision. That is what Allison Manley has done with her podcasts.

It takes enormous time and effort, not to mention charm, substance, talent and persuasion to line up the guests manleywoman has interviewed over her now 62 podcast episodes. To have landed Kurt Browning for her debut podcast, that’s what I’d call a coup! It’s not an easy enterprise, so the fact manleywoman has been continuously providing this free service to fans for six long years, is remarkable and commendable. Yes, there can be problems with “microphones,” but manleywoman has not allowed any technical problems, logistics, time constraints, or even personal matters to prevent her from continuing to provide this excellent service. She interviewed Frank Carroll (#14) while he was riding in his car, since that’s the time he had available. She has persevered during difficult interviews where the subjects had limited time and she still managed to engage them in worthy and interesting discussions. She has a fun, free-spirited approach, but she doesn’t shy away from asking probing questions about controversial subjects. You should listen to her interviews with Tim Goebel (#49), Debi Thomas (#30), Leah Adams (#54), Lucinda Ruh (#52), David Kirby (#50), and Norbert Schramm (#61). The podcasts are verbatim and apparently unedited for the most part, and for that reason alone manleywoman deserves many kudos!!! In no way is that easy to finesse.

If you are under the impression that manleywoman did not allow Tai Babilonia “to speak,” you really should go to the manleywoman podcast site and actually listen to episode #28 with Tai Babilonia. Perhaps you are a more visual person and thereby gain more enjoyment from “watching” Tai talk, and that makes you errantly think Dave and Jenny "allowed Tai to speak” more than manleywoman did. I think even Tai herself would be gobsmacked by your comments. :duh: As Tai has admitted, she loves to talk, and I doubt anyone who desires to interview Tai, has any intention or indeed any hope of keeping her from speaking. ;) (The same can probably be said about me. :lol:)

As far as things being “distracting.” Lots of things can be distracting, even while watching and listening to Jenny’s and Dave’s visual podcasts. The thing is whether or not you can appreciate the effort and passion involved in what Dave and Jenny are creating, and in what Allison Manley has pioneered with her podcast interviews. If you have constructive criticisms, why not send them to manleywoman privately. I’m certain she welcomes comments, critiques, suggestions, as well as volunteers to help with transcriptions and in other ways anyone can be supportive, such as with donations.

I believe Jenny majored in Journalism and she does a great job with writing and interviewing. I admire Jenny for how she is giving back, and for how open and honest she has been in talking about "politically incorrect" subjects in the sport of figure skating. I’ve enjoyed Dave’s site, Aunt Joyce’s Ice Cream Stand, and I admire his depth of knowledge and his outspoken critiques about the sport. Likely, Jenny and Dave would be the first to say that manleywoman’s podcast has been inspirational to them. I know it has been very educational and inspirational to me. Jenny Kirk has also been interviewed by manleywoman: podcast #33. Check it out! What Jenny and Dave are doing, while different in approach, is also complimentary as well as complementary to what manleywoman is doing and has done. With the generous time and delightful input provided by her interviewees, manleywoman has deftly and very “professionally” succeeded in excavating the past and making figure skating history come alive in the moment.

I can’t wait to listen to manleywoman’s latest podcast #62 with Carol Heiss Jenkins, Part 1. A big thanks to you Allison Manley, and to all your guests. :cheer:

http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-62-carol-heiss-jenkins-part-1/

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    This!

4. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

And further. It is very hard to be first at anything. Manleywoman pioneered podcasts for us skating fans and has been consistent over years in providing them. When you're first there's no road map. I give her a boatload of credit for that!! That said, the more the better.

I am pleased that Dave Lease appears to have developed a more positive understanding of other skaters' body image issues and eating disorders although I find it late in coming. As recently as Feb 2012 he posted on his Twitter "I miss anorexic Sasha Cohen." (3:44 p.m. Sat, Feb 4) and dismissed readers who were critical of the anorexia comment.

This is the kind of comment - this and all the criticism of skaters' body types, that sort of thing - that helps sustain the critical body image culture that many smart people/coaches/parents/former skaters like Tai are trying to address positively. The very nature of figure skating gives rise to body image issues; skating doesn't need people who use those issues as 'material' for uninformed commentary and inappropriate joking because it's all far from funny.

I know that good people in skating are trying hard to deal with these issues in a sensitive and serious manner.

5. aftershocks

^^ Oy vey, re Dave's Sasha Cohen tweet. Dave (Aunt Joyce) is nothing if not irrepressible, but maybe he is learning how to avoid being irresponsible and/ or careless in his remarks, while maintaining his feisty uniqueness. Perhaps Jenny reached out to help educate and enlighten Dave on this issue, and they ended up bonding and joining up to help educate and enlighten others re topics in figure skating that are often kept under wraps, glossed over, or deeply buried behind PC smiles and status quo hype.

Well, obviously none of us are perfect. But there is hope for things to change for the better. Debate is good, and more open communication is key. It takes the passion of everyone who loves the sport of figure skating to make individual and/ or group efforts in unique ways that may contribute toward improving the sport. Figure skating needs to become more accessible and open, so that the fan base can hopefully grow.

6. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Wow aftershocks ((sniff)). Thank you for such a lovely and supportive post. :) I don't know who you are, but I'm impressed you remember so many details of my interviews. I tend to forget what happened after they are over. :lol:

And Willoway, thanks to you too . . . and to everyone who has sent me a note. There have been many. :) I'm doing my best with no training and no journalism background, and I get good feedback, so I think I'm doing okay. Would I love a real producer and more sponsorship so I could do more frequent interviews and delivered better? Of course, but I seem to do alright with the time and resources I have.

Agree 100%. I've been amazed that I've been the only podcast out there for so many years until Audrey Wisiger's Voice America series started this fall, and then Jenny/Dave's soon after. I'm all for more more more, as long as we all keep different enough topics and formats to be complementary and supportive to each other. Mine is simply one way of doing it: Audreys is broader than skating and also includes live callers. Jenny/Dave's is video of course and from the little we can tell so far is about some of the more hushed issues in the sport. There's room for even more formats, I think . . . training videos (though I know the coahing site for iCoach does this, but you have to pay), maybe a skating trivia game, involving younger skaters, etc etc.

Interestingly enough when I was a caller on Audrey's live show with Michael Buckley, he advised me to put my podcasts on YouTube to reach even more listeners. Then BAM, a few weeks later Jenny/Dave were doing just that.

I noticed this too. I'm hoping this means that he's seen the error of his ways on some of those past snarks and is willing to be part of the solution and not the problem.

7. reese

reese Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

8. manleywoman

Why the eye-roll? Knowing how much work a podcast takes to do, I'm SURE that J/D conceived of their podcast before I spoke to Michael Buckley. I meant the comment more in the 'great minds think alike" mode. Also Buckley is friends with both J/D, so he probably had already suggested it to them.

9. alfongsucks

alfongsucks New Member

Manleywoman this may shock you but it is not all about you. I respect your work I think you are very good, but the skaters are the celebrities not you, not I and quite frankly if Jenny and Dave become celebrities, it is totally random. Did you know that there are other podcasts out there? The ice queens do a great podcast that is fueled only by the cost of their microphones, some alcohol and the price of cable tv. Please don't use the fact that you have limited resources as an excuse. That bothers me as much as blade problems. Podcasts are a labor of love. The more competition the better! You will only raise your game in the end.

You also posted that Michael Buckley said to put yourself on youtube, then suddenly they did it. What is interesting is that Michael Buckely was on a video podcast, that went on youtube. IT is not like it was that unique of an idea, and obviously since you have not done it after he suggested it, then it is obviously something that you were not interested in or did not think would be useful.

If you have competition, then compete with them, dont post stuff on here and have people support or slam you, compete with him! Now in the mean time PLEASE post part two of Carole Heiss!

10. manleywoman

Posting Carol Heiss later this month. :) I also didn't ask anyone to post anything for me. I appreciate that they did it, but it was hardly a conspiracy on my part.

And if you look at my past posts on Facebook.Twitter, etc, I've been very supportive of both J/D and Audrey, spreading their podcasts around social media since they debuted. I'm interviewing Audrey next week, as a matter of fact. :) I'm thrilled there are more podcasts, I'm just surprised it took this long. (I know about the Ice Queens, but their format is very different, not interview style). I also agree it will raise everyone;s game. :)

As for Buckley's idea: I do plan on putting my stuff on YouTube. I've been very sick the past month. So nothing "obvious" about it. Clearly it's a great idea, since YouTube has a huge following, so it makes perfect sense. I think Audrey (if Voice America allows) should get hers on YouTube as well, and they all should get theirs on the iTunes Store since it's the largest podcast directory. The more the better.

Listening to Tim's interview with J/D right now and am enjoying it. They also got the fact that the videos now play back to back, so I don't have to restart each one. Nice improvement.

11. alfongsucks

alfongsucks New Member

actually, here is a link to the Tim interview, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHw_wUA39_M&list=PLA9GOAs5v33JWOfsEolAs3L7118lqKL3A&index=1

What is interesting is that for all the controversy of stealing ideas and what not {perceived or inferred or otherwise} it is unique the body language that the different interviews have. What is interesting is that I never watched these on youtube, I always used to just listen to them on my iPod, nice to know I can watch them as well!

12. manleywoman

Again, no controversy here. Please don't create one where there isn't.

Listening to Tim . . . very interesting that he's getting into such detail about the monetary relationship and contract he had with Frank. Wow.

13. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Puhleese. Manleywoman was the original and she has never claimed that Jenny is her competition.
    FWIW, I'm done with the Ice Queens. All they do is complain and have nothing funny to offer anymore. They went to San Jose last year and skipped a major part of the competition to go to the movies or something.
    I like you, Manleywoman. :)

14. aftershocks

What's your point re your "rolleyes," reese? What's your beef exactly? If you have something to say, say it!

Thanks again manleywoman for all you have done and are doing to bring figure skating history alive in the present. It's always a joy and an education listening to your podcasts. :) You deserve all the support and superlatives that come your way for the wonderful contributions you have made and continue to make for love of figure skating. You should receive a Grammy award for your podcasts! And I mean that sincerely! At the least, the work you are doing deserves more widespread publicity and recognition. So Michael Buckley was on the right track with his comments to you, and its either from his inspiration or coincidental timeliness of their own planning that Jenny and Dave made their "BAM" youtube debut shortly afterward. ;) I know Jenny has done some figure-skating related blogging/ reporting previously on youtube. Certainly, Jenny and Dave, Audrey, fs fans, and the entire fs community owe you a huge debt of gratitude.

Please keep on keeping on, manleywoman! Ignore the critics and naysayers who have nothing of value to offer. I admire your proactive way of getting the job done and the way you constantly are looking forward and moving forward without too much looking back to navel gaze. That's probably why you've been able to achieve as much as you have with your invaluable podcast archive. Your podcasts contain a goldmine of detailed information, fascinating and little known anecdotes, and above all a motherlode of evocative memories. There are probably thousands of people who have gravitated to your site and gained inspiration and knowledge. FYI -- Your site was credited (re quotes from some of your guests) in the bibliography of a book entitled, Sporting Sounds: Relationship between sport and music, in reference to its Chapter 4: Music and figure skating, by Glenn S. Harman, Sonia Bianchetti Garbato, and David Forberg. The book is edited by Anthony Bateman and John Bale, and was published in 2009 by Routledge.

Kudos to all those who lead with their heart, act on a dream, persevere, and with a huge leap of faith, accomplish remarkable things that otherwise would remain just a notion.

15. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I'm just grateful that so many people are willing to provide these blogs/podcasts for free. I can imagine the amount of work that goes into the background research, technology, and scheduling. The broadcasters do have day jobs, and in the case of Manleywoman children to take care of as well. It is helpful to make suggestions for improvement but I can't believe people are criticizing. Don't watch it/listen if you don't like that interviewer.

16. skatesindreams

It might be more appropriate if the "FSU Critic's Circle" share their "concerns" with manleywoman, privately.
    Count me as someone who enjoys her approach to interviewing; and the tact and respect shown to her subjects.

I've supported her podcasts since their inception; and will continue to do so.

Certainly, others are welcome to do interviews, and gain their own audience, as well.

FSfan107 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Manleywoman, please don't listen to the negativity of some of the posters. You and your podcasts rock, they're done so professionally. No competition, there's room for everybody.

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  18. aftershocks

Whoa, alfongsucks, take a pill and a breather. And stop making so many assumptions and clueless demands. Apparently you, unlike reese, had something to say and said it, but kinda thoughtlessly. :rolleyes: You seem to arrogantly miss the nuances as well as the positive intentions and possibilities behind some of the comments in this thread. ITA with manleywoman that there's no need to foment controversy where none exists. This may shock you, but mindless bile has a tendency to boomerang and karma can be a b*t*h. That goes for me, for you, and for everyone who forgets to think before they blather.

Manleywoman's work is being supported and praised independently by fans who enjoy and are inspired by her podcasts, and that ain't no assumption. I only know manleywoman through her podcasts, and through her posts on FSU. I've never met Allison Manley in person, nor ever spoken to her directly, although I would love to and I hope to have the pleasure of doing so sometime soon. :) Thanks again to manleywoman and to all those whose intent is to further advance and contribute to the sport of figure skating. Neither Jenny, Dave, Audrey or Allison have any need of "celebrity," and IMO that doesn't inform what they are doing. If any skater or anyone associated with skating got into it because they wanted to be a "celebrity," I'll betcha they never got very far.

Praise be to God that not everyone in this world is a mindless teenager or infantile adult who aspires to be a "celebrity," or who desires to bask in its frightful, meaningless and unholy "15 minutes of fame" glow.

BTW, no one can get me to say anything I don't want to say. I plead guilty to being opinionated and verbose, but I think and speak for myself, always. That's often what gets me on some people's ignore list here. :lol: Developing and maintaining an open mind and a sharp intellect is something I always try to aspire toward. But again, none of us are perfect, so take a step back and re-read, rethink, modify your tone, and examine your assumptions.

19. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

This^ The Ice Queens hardly ever have anything positive to say and half the time their information is just plain wrong. I unsubscribed to their podcast.

20. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Several of her comments on this thread (a thread not about her or her podcast-- of which there are already about 60 threads) have inserted little passive-aggressive digs at this new, competing podcast. By being passive-aggressive instead of straight forward she can later claim, if confronted, that she was misunderstood. As in "Of course I wasn't implying that J/D stole an idea that was given to me by Michael Buckley! " when, to me, it was pretty clear she was implying just that.

Full disclosure: I love the Manley Woman podcasts and I'm also really enjoying The Skating Lesson. I just don't know why this turned into an Allison Manley appreciation thread when there are already a ton of those on FSU.

21. manleywoman

Actually reese, I have done nothing of the sort. I've made ONE comment you think is passive aggressive. But it is FSU after all, so please feel free to create a conspiracy where there is none. :lol:

And also actually, while I do appreciate the support here, i agree with reese that we should get back on topic to talk about this new podcast of Jenny and Dave's.

22. aftershocks

IMO, and unfortunately, it's the "passive-aggressive" digs by you and a few others here toward manleywoman that have needlessly brewed a tempest in a teapot.

The point is to appreciate whatever is being contributed of a positive nature to advance the sport of figure skating. The negativity and negative assumptions are unwarranted in this thread, IMO. It's not about comparisons in my mind, but about appreciation for what anyone has to offer that benefits the sport and the fans.

ITA! :respec: And apparently, IronLady has started a new thread in GSD to discuss the latest Skating Lesson podcast with Tim Goebel. Of course, the link was already posted here too in #41 post.

Peace everyone, and let's enjoy all the great things that figure skating has to offer. The debates will be endless, but the mindless negativity doesn't have to be.

23. alfongsucks

alfongsucks New Member

honestly I could not have put it better then you did Reese, but I am a bad ass, I dont do nuances. To make it more definite, Manleywoman said that Dave and Jenny put up a podcast and put it on youtube. Manley said that it was her idea [but said it was also Buckleys idea] Then says there is no conspiracy. I agree there are passive attacks and I hate that. Why not just say I am pissed off that I am no longer the only game in town? I guess my in your face attitude and blatant honestly does not go over well. As I said before, compete with them. Compete harder!

24. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

25. aftershocks

^^ :yawn: Blah, hogwash. More like you don't "understand" nuances, and are more into negative misinterpretations. As has already been said ad nauseum, contributing to the sport is not a "competition." Try "harder" to stop making negative assumptions and clueless demands.

Great interview by Jenny and Dave with Tim Goebel. Equally great interview by manleywoman with Tim Goebel. The reason has a lot to do with Tim's openness and honesty. He definitely has interesting takes and insights.

26. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

A little light snark from Goebel: "The people deemed better than you would basically have to go out and do a free dance to not win."

27. manleywoman

Yes. I'm so afraid of having a competing podcast. That's why I helped PJ Kwong set up her new podcast that also recently launched. :rolleyes: She even thanked me today on twitter for the help, if you need proof. :rolleyes:. Not that you'd bother, because if you did you'd see how supportive I have been already to all other podcasters in promoting their endeavors.

Whatever. I made one comment about a timeline of events that points out nothing except that there was a good idea waiting to happen on YouTube, and two posters turn that into "several passive aggressive comments." That's FSU!

I'm glad I'm helping Jenny/Dave get all this press! :lol: The more exposure for all these podcasts, the better. :p

28. skatesindreams

Yay for you, manleywoman!

29. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:cheer2: manleywoman :cheer2:

30. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

manleywoman, thanks for all that you do for the fans and the promotion of the sport.