The Sing-Off, Season 3 (US, NBC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by UMBS Go Blue, Sep 19, 2011.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Member

:( I admit to being a Vocal Point fan (and am biased towards BYU) and am really sad they left. For me, they are every bit as entertaining as the Aires, and I think overall a bit better musically. The Aires do have a superstar lead vocalist in Michael (LOVE him) and that might be lacking in Vocal Point. I might have let Afro Blue go this week - I really like it when they do jazz, but the last few weeks have been pretty weak for me (didn't get the love for their country song last week). I think Pentatonix are absolutely fantastic and so creative and will probably win. Don't have a problem with that at all.

I really love this show because I love a cappella so much. I love to hear singers that you know can sing and don't need to be autotuned!
  2. Sk8Kate

Sk8Kate New Member

I was really sad to see Vocal Point go. I agree that they may not have sold many albums, but they made me smile with every performance and are so dang likeable! I'd have let Afro Blue go, myself. I feel like they, or Urban Method, will be the next ones out. I don't dislike either group, but I feel like they're not on the same level as the others.

That said, I have a collective crush on the Dartmouth Aires and am really hoping they win the whole thing. Michael is unbelievable. I hope that even if the Aires don't win, he's able to get some job offers out of this. (Of course, if the Aires are all bright enough to go to Dartmouth, I imagine they'll all "make it" in life some way or another.) I wouldn't be upset if it goes to Pentatonix as they are definitely impressive, but I think I prefer the fuller sound of a larger group myself.
  3. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Whilst I’m pulling for Local Son, Michael and the Dartmouth Aires, I have a soft spot for both Afro Blue and Pentatonix. Possibly because they remind me of Manhattan Transfer.
  4. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I'm just glad the Aires have made it this far! :cheer2:

While Michael is great, I think the group is relying on him too much to lead the way. I think there have been examples (the Queen medley, and how the group backed up Michael in "Midnight Train to Georgia") where the group as a whole can rise up to the occasion and produce some stunning harmonies in true a cappella style. For example, Ben Folds has been giving the bass section some grief, and, to their credit, they take the criticism constructively and come out swinging in the following performance. I'm also loving how some of the other singers in the group are being rotated in and out through solos and getting their moments in the spotlight. Basically, I'm saying that they all have some degree of talent, and that they have it within themselves to challenge each other and do more. :inavoid:
  5. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I would also probably have sent AfroBlue home, even thought I enjoy their style. They just totally lost it on their second song. But the judges probably wanted a little more variety in the final four, so one of the college groups had to go.
  6. twinsmom

twinsmom Member

Ah, Manhattan Transfer :swoon: Possibly my favorite jazz group ever! Afro Blue reminded me of them so much towards the beginning, but not so much in the last few weeks. I'll be happy for whoever wins, cuz I think they're all great.
  7. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Audience voting starts tonight. Anyone still watching? I got home late and missed the entire first hour.:wall:
  8. indicatoto101

indicatoto101 New Member

Wow. Mitch's voice in "Dog Days are Over" was so gorgeous and enchanting. His pitch was perfect. Couldn't get the cable working so missed the first set of performances. However they performed in the first round, Pentatonix has my votes.
  9. UMBS Go Blue

ZOMG THE AIRES MADE THE FINAL, PLS CALL 877 674 6403 or TEXT 3 to 97979. TEN VOTES ALLOWED. USE ALL THE PHONES YOU CAN. THANKS!!!!! :40beers: :cheer2: :inavoid:
  10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Whoa. I love me some Aires, I really do, but they made a lot of mistakes last night. Afro Blue was spot on in the sing for your life, Aires not so much.

Pentatonix for the win.
  11. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I got bored with the show last night and stopped watching. Also they need a drinking game for whenever Sara says "I'm so proud." She's really grating on my nerves lately for some reason.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Watched the show on DVR. Wrong group sent home. Urban Method should have gone. AfroBlue has more musicality than Method could dream of. Pentatonix should win, as much as I'm pulling for the Aires. And I'd have no problem with that.
  13. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Voted my allotted 10 on the website (you have to provide an email) for Pentatonix! :cheer:
  14. UMBS Go Blue

I'll be grabbing everyone's phones around the Thanksgiving table today and calling 877-674-6403 ten times each. GO AIRES! :inavoid:
  15. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Voted for Aires!
  16. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Pentatonix for the WIN!
  17. UMBS Go Blue

:cheer2: 877-674-6403! :cheer2:
  18. UMBS Go Blue

Lunch with more members of the clan tomorrow = seizing more cell phones to VOTE AIRES! And here's a special message from the Aires themselves. :encore:

By the way, Michael Odokara-Okigbo '12 won the "Dartmouth Idol" when he was a freshman in the spring of 2009. And you can meet the rest of the gang here:

Aires member bios

The Aires, inside and and outside the classroom

Why do the Aires love Dartmouth?

The Aires on their music and friendships

The Aires pack and head for the airport earlier this week to spend Thanksgiving in LA prepping for the finale

An interview with the Aires about their experience on the "Sing-Off"

The Aires' audition video for "The Sing-Off"

Some recognizable faces from the Aires as they perform a few years ago
  19. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

20. UMBS Go Blue

14 more hours to vote for the Aires!

1) Call 877-674-6403 ten times
    2) Text 3 to 97979 ten times
    3) Vote at http://www.nbc.com/sing-off/vote/ ten times

Off to hit up some more pay phones. :skandal
  21. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

UMBS - I can appreciate your alumnus pride. But should school loyalty really outweigh the capabilities of the groups competing? IMHO, only one of the three groups is ready and capable of using the win to push their careers, as well as the art of acapella, to a whole new level. The Aires are cute and they have a great frontman who will surely have a musical career of his own, but as a group they will be a second tier act at best.
  22. UMBS Go Blue

Ultimately, that's your opinion, which you're entitled to, just as others are entitled to theirs. :)
    birdgal and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

True, it is just my opinion. However, in reading your posts, you have gushed more on the Aires being from Dartmouth than on their capabilites, and then went overboard on finding new ways to vote. That's why it appeared to me that your votes were more about school pride than talent, much like all those DWTS votes for Bristol Palin over more talented dancers because of her mother. I would love to hear your opinions on why you think the Aires should win over Pentatonix or Urban Method.
    numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Maybe UMBS just doesn't like the other two groups. I don't. I prefer the Aires.
  25. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Count me in as another who has no vested interest in any of this - Canuck that I am -and I prefer the Aires. No particular reason, I just enjoy them more.
  26. UMBS Go Blue

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wow, talk about being passive-aggressive. Par for the course on this board, I guess.

I'm sorry if I offended your own particular sensibilities and opinions, but everyone has a right to their own opinions as to the many factors that construe "talent." I am also not denigrating the talents and accomplishments of the other groups. If you always get so defensive, threatened, and testy when others' views happen to differ with yours, then may I suggest you get a chill pill or see a shrink. :40beers: :psoty:

In the meantime, congrats in advance to the team that wins tonight. To make it this far speaks well to all three groups' talents. :)
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  27. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I'm not offended. I just want to hear your opinions about the different groups and why you prefer one over the other, rather than just "rah rah team." There could be a number of reasons.

For example, as I've mentioned in previous posts, I like Pentatonix because I'm a sucker for a good bass, and they have one of the best. The Aires are deficient in this area, as Ben has mentioned more than once. I also find Pentatonix more creative in their arrangements. Their lead guy is one of the most versatile in different styles and the tenor's voice is absolutely gorgeous and pure. The Aires are very fun and good entertainers, but they have had more pitch problems, as well as tempo issues. Urban Method is finally catching their stride, but they have been inconsistent throughout the competition and tended to rely too much on the rapper.

And I agree - congratulations to whomever wins. All three groups have talent. It's just my humble opinion that only one group is ready to step directly from the stage to the recording booth, while the other two groups would require some grooming first.
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I appreciate the attention this show brings to acapella music/groups regardless of who wins.
  29. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Amen to that.
  30. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

It's quite all right to prefer the Aires. It's just that every post by UMBS, beginning with the first one before ever even hearing any of the singers, has been all about the Aires and their connection to Dartmouth. That's why I feel it is all about school pride, rather than which group is ready for prime time.

Hopefully, this will evolve into a discussion about the various talents of the different groups.
  31. UMBS Go Blue

:violin:
  32. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Go Aires! Go Dartmouth!

Sorry, I don't watch the show, but I had to get that out. I just can't control that school pride. ;)

Seriously, though, I did watch part of last week's episode (I felt I must after getting so many emails about it :p). Watching the Aires brought back so many memories (especially the Shout and Queen performances), I couldn't be unbiased if I tried, so why try? The Aires simply made me smile much more than the others, although I enjoyed all the groups (at least those I saw) quite a bit.
  33. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

UMBS - thanks for the music. I love violins.

Now can we have a discussion about the talents of the various groups?
  34. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

It's okay, my love of a capella is a distant second to my ubering of Ben Folds for reasons to watch The Sing-Off :p

Speaking of which, I read that Ben is performing Not The Same with the Aires tonight. I've sung it many a times a capella with Ben; definitely one of the highlights of his concerts. :swoon:
  35. screech

screech Well-Known Member

The thing I like about the Aires is that I think they would sell more tickets to live shows than the other groups - they're performers and I'd rather pay to go see a group that is entertaining than one who is more technically perfect.

I like Pentatonix, but really only because of their bass and percussion. I'm not a fan of the girl, and the lead guy - he sings well technically, hitting the notes fine, but I find his voice a bit nasally and lispy. Plus I keep seeing Anthony Michael Hall circa Edward Scissorhands when I look at him.

And rapper from Urban Method: Ditch the group and launch a solo career, please!!
  36. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

hated group # 1's song, seemed to be 20 minutes long

group # 2's song is also irritating
  37. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

that's my reason for watching. :D

and I like Pentatonix best.
    NinjaTurtles likes this.
  38. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

To me, each member of the Pentatonix is equally important.

As for the Aire, the 'star' of the group is obvious. Michael Odokara-Okigbo is the star. Without Michael, the group is just mediocre.

That's why Pentatonix impressed me much more than the Aire, in terms of group performance.

As for individual performance, Michael hands down is the best on the show. He truly overshadows the entire group. Is it a good thing for the group? Probably not. Is it a good thing for Michael? Absolutely!
    Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  39. Era

Era New Member

I was just coming out of lurkdom to say that. :) I can't imagine Pentatonix working without each of the five members. It is only by working together that they create this big cohesive sound. I also love their arrangements of songs. They've even made me like songs that I haven't liked previously.

Michael of the Dartmouth Aires is sort of like Glee's Jesse of Vocal Adrenaline. I enjoy watching the Aires perform, but I tend to think of them as Michael's backup group.
  40. screech

screech Well-Known Member

That is the one thing I really like about Pentatonix- they all are important and it's impressive that with 5 people they do the same things the others do with three times that.

I just want to know when some Broadway show is going to call up Michael - that man was born to perform. Apparently there's going to be a 2012 revival of Jesus Christ Superstar - they need to call him up to play Judas. According to the Aires website he's graduating in 2012 so it's perfect!

But seriously, the resemblance between Pentatonix' Scott and Anthony Michael Hall in Edward Scissorhands is really freaky to me.