The Sing-Off, Season 3 (US, NBC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by UMBS Go Blue, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I thought the Aires were awesome tonight! Those were challenging songs and a really fantastic arrangement.

I thought this was the best Delilah has done since the first week.

I think I probably would have sent home Urban Method. But, at least the Yellow Jackets went out with some fun!

2. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Ben may not have thought about Freddie Mercury.
    However, I think that FM would be pleased by that (even with the minor pitch issues.)

4. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Oh -- I'm the worst Dartmouth alum ever; how can I not be watching and supporting the Aires? Especially with all the alumni e-mail reminders! :drama:
    YouTube and Hulu, here I come.

5. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

That Queen medley was awesome! :cheer2: Go Aires!

6. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I know!

Is there fan voting on this show? If not, then just watching the youtube videos should be sufficient to maintain your alum credibility...

7. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Michael’s a Portland ME native!! Wheeee!

8. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Vocal Point to go next unless Afro Blue implodes.

9. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I can also see Urban Method or Delilah imploding. Both groups have had some great stuff, but have also had some stinkers.

10. UMBS Go Blue

It is being judged for now, but voting will apparently be introduced for the finale. Just happened to find this from my local alumni association, which has already created gatherings/networking/watch party events through the finale, as placeholders (just to be hopeful, as nobody knows how they really did):

11. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think Vocal Point and Urban Method are one-trick ponies. UM has a great rapper, but their vocalists aren't that strong.

And as for VP, does anyone think a bunch of straight-laced, white Mormon boys are going to sell millions of CD's unless their last names are all Osmond? They're cute, but they're bland. The "aw, shucks" mentality they bring to all their songs will get old fast.

Final Four will be Pentatonix, Delilah, Dartmouth Aires, and Afro Blue.

12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

You were right.

To my ears, the only group that nailed both was Pentatonix. I thought the Aires country thing was a train wreck, but their rock was so good it saved them. Sorry to see Delilah go as I thought Afro Blue was just a touch weaker last night that the girls were.

13. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Sorry to see Delilah go as they were soooo good when on, but the other groups brought more fun last night. Their country song was just too blah, IMO. Amy was again amazing on Dream On, though. I hope this gives her career a big boost! I'd take Amy over Katy Perry and Gaga any day of the week...

Loved Dartmouth, Pentatonix, and really all the groups this week. They are all so good now.

Was this all filmed over the summer? This week showed a lot of kids going back to school, seems a little strange in November, no? Perhaps they did all but the finale in the summer and are just making the last show live to trick us into thinking it was quasi-live the whole time?

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

My guess is that the epi we saw last night was taped the week of September 5th. The Aires may have more flexibility than BYU offers.

15. UMBS Go Blue

Yes to all. :)

haribobo and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I think Afro Blue's country song saved them. Anytime you have 2 of the judges standing after one of your performances, you are probably going to stick around another week, even if your other song was subpar. It also helped that their outstanding performance was the 2nd one, while Delilah's better performance was the first one.

17. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Afro Blue - aside from the one girl with the crazy eyes, I don't find their voices that great, especially not the bigger girl that the judges seem to love. And they always try to 'jazz' up the songs. I get that that's their style, but they have to adapt. They are just 'blah' to me.

I LOVE Dartmouth Aires. Every time Michael opens his mouth I picture him as Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar.

Urban Method relies on Myke. I bet he keeps thinking that he should be pursuing a solo rap career, since his awesomeness is really the only reason the group is still around.

I enjoy Vocal Point - they are the best 'performers' of the show, and always make me smile. That's the same reason I loved the Yellowjackets, who really should not have been sent home that week.

Pentatonix are great - and all 5 of them do what they do so well that you can't really imagine the group without any one of them, though I picture Anthony Michael Hall (circa Edward Scissorhands) every time I look at the lead vocalist.

As for Delilah... good riddance. I didn't find them that strong most weeks, and something about them just annoyed the heck out of me.

18. indicatoto101

indicatoto101 New Member

I'm really rooting for Pentatonix. The lead vocalist always sings well regardless of the style, the tenor has a beautiful voice, and the girl is an amazing harmonizer. Of course, the bass and beatboxer are the best in the competition.

The aries are fun to watch but don't impress me from a vocal standpoint. They sound too busy and have amateur sounding arrangements. Though Michael is great and Henry is so damn cute!

19. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Vocal Point out.

20. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Audience voting starts next week. I'll be very surprised if Pentatonix doesn't win it all.

21. twinsmom

twinsmom Member

:( I admit to being a Vocal Point fan (and am biased towards BYU) and am really sad they left. For me, they are every bit as entertaining as the Aires, and I think overall a bit better musically. The Aires do have a superstar lead vocalist in Michael (LOVE him) and that might be lacking in Vocal Point. I might have let Afro Blue go this week - I really like it when they do jazz, but the last few weeks have been pretty weak for me (didn't get the love for their country song last week). I think Pentatonix are absolutely fantastic and so creative and will probably win. Don't have a problem with that at all.

I really love this show because I love a cappella so much. I love to hear singers that you know can sing and don't need to be autotuned!

22. Sk8Kate

Sk8Kate New Member

I was really sad to see Vocal Point go. I agree that they may not have sold many albums, but they made me smile with every performance and are so dang likeable! I'd have let Afro Blue go, myself. I feel like they, or Urban Method, will be the next ones out. I don't dislike either group, but I feel like they're not on the same level as the others.

That said, I have a collective crush on the Dartmouth Aires and am really hoping they win the whole thing. Michael is unbelievable. I hope that even if the Aires don't win, he's able to get some job offers out of this. (Of course, if the Aires are all bright enough to go to Dartmouth, I imagine they'll all "make it" in life some way or another.) I wouldn't be upset if it goes to Pentatonix as they are definitely impressive, but I think I prefer the fuller sound of a larger group myself.

23. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Whilst I’m pulling for Local Son, Michael and the Dartmouth Aires, I have a soft spot for both Afro Blue and Pentatonix. Possibly because they remind me of Manhattan Transfer.

24. UMBS Go Blue

I'm just glad the Aires have made it this far! :cheer2:

While Michael is great, I think the group is relying on him too much to lead the way. I think there have been examples (the Queen medley, and how the group backed up Michael in "Midnight Train to Georgia") where the group as a whole can rise up to the occasion and produce some stunning harmonies in true a cappella style. For example, Ben Folds has been giving the bass section some grief, and, to their credit, they take the criticism constructively and come out swinging in the following performance. I'm also loving how some of the other singers in the group are being rotated in and out through solos and getting their moments in the spotlight. Basically, I'm saying that they all have some degree of talent, and that they have it within themselves to challenge each other and do more. :inavoid:

25. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I would also probably have sent AfroBlue home, even thought I enjoy their style. They just totally lost it on their second song. But the judges probably wanted a little more variety in the final four, so one of the college groups had to go.

26. twinsmom

twinsmom Member

Ah, Manhattan Transfer :swoon: Possibly my favorite jazz group ever! Afro Blue reminded me of them so much towards the beginning, but not so much in the last few weeks. I'll be happy for whoever wins, cuz I think they're all great.

27. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Audience voting starts tonight. Anyone still watching? I got home late and missed the entire first hour.:wall:

28. indicatoto101

indicatoto101 New Member

Wow. Mitch's voice in "Dog Days are Over" was so gorgeous and enchanting. His pitch was perfect. Couldn't get the cable working so missed the first set of performances. However they performed in the first round, Pentatonix has my votes.

29. UMBS Go Blue

ZOMG THE AIRES MADE THE FINAL, PLS CALL 877 674 6403 or TEXT 3 to 97979. TEN VOTES ALLOWED. USE ALL THE PHONES YOU CAN. THANKS!!!!! :40beers: :cheer2: :inavoid:

30. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Whoa. I love me some Aires, I really do, but they made a lot of mistakes last night. Afro Blue was spot on in the sing for your life, Aires not so much.

Pentatonix for the win.