The Sing-Off, Season 3 (US, NBC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by UMBS Go Blue, Sep 19, 2011.

1. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Season 3 of The Sing Off begins tonight at 8:00 Eastern/7:00 Central on NBC here in the US.

I was elated to hear that one of the many fine a capella groups from a fabulous school in New Hampshire will be competing this season. :inavoid: :respec:

Link to NBC trailer

Article about New Trier High School (Winnetka, Illinois) alums taking part in the Sing Off as part of collegiate a capella groups from Rochester and Dartmouth:

:cheer2:

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I love the sing off. Which is opposite DWTS. :wuzrobbed: Thank goodness I have 2 DVRs which can record 2 programs at a time. :D I can snark about DWTS on FSU and then enjoy my time with Ben alone.

3. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^^ Hmm ... so DVR's can record more than one show at a time? I may need to look into that as my 4 VCR''s are all starting to die. I'll be watching DWTS, taping The Sing Off, and taping 2.5 Men as well. :lol:

4. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

My newest DirecTV receiver can record two at once. And I can get a 3rd show on my old unit upstairs. :kickass:

5. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Hard night for viewing choices, but I am definitely watching The Sing Off!

6. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I got home late and had neglected to set the DVR for this or DWTS. I can't really decide which to watch so I'm surfing back and forth so far. It's not really working out. I've managed to miss the performances on both and have only seen fluff and judges' commentary.

7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm going back and forth too, but I've managed to see most of both performances. I didn't really care for either group so far.

8. LuckyCharm

I saw that big group of siblings. Meh...

9. LuckyCharm

If Afro-Blue does Mas Que Nada I might die. Is there a theme tonight?

10. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Afro Blue the best so far

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The all girl group that sang Grenade was AMAZING. My favorite, by far.

12. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Delilah doing Grenade was fabulous!

I knew the family would go home out of this group.

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't think I can safely roll my eyes any more than I have during the Mormon groups introduction.

14. LuckyCharm

I enjoyed their performance though.

ETA: Where's Ben?

15. UMBS Go Blue

Finally reviewing my DVR recording, and I was :wuzrobbed that I'd only set it for 1 hour instead of 2.

But apparently only 8 of 16 entrants were on this week, with the Aires coming next week. Phew! :drama:

16. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

The rapping group was awful. I was not impressed with Afro Blue either. They really didn't make that song as fun as it is or at least as light-hearted as it is. It just was dull.

I'm not surprised the groups that got cut were cut. The Branson act :rofl: They were good but so not suited to this sort of show.

My favorite a cappella group is Out of the Blue from Oxford University, followed closely by UVA's the Hullabahoos. THEY should be on this show!

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Liked last night's show and thought the judging was spot on. The family wasn't up to the show's standard and the CPs were doing what sells in Branson, not what appeals to Gleeks. Looking forward to next week.

18. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I agree with the judges' eliminations. Will reserve judgement on the rapping. Initially did not like it, but there was some "interesting" stuff done. (Not musically inclined so can not explain what I mean.) Maybe it came across different in person? Although if this is for a recording contract, I'd have to say no.

19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The rapper and his group were "interesting".
    However, I'm not sure that this is the type of acapella singing that the "Sing Off" intended to promote.

Can they adapt to other styles/material?
    We'll see.

20. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I liked The Yellowjackets and Vocal Point. The others were only mediocre to me.

21. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I also agree with the eliminations. The Cat's Pajama's were more polished than Kindred 9, but Kindred 9 has more potential. I loved their lead vocalist and would really like to hear them attempt Bohemian Rhapsody after they gel more.

22. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I think as a general rule, the more voices you have in your group, the richer the potential sound id, and the better shot you have. Quartets and Quintets have to be THAT much better.

23. rfisher

Just catching up since I DVR'd this. Which allows me to ff through commercials and fluff. Can I say my man Ben is looking fine. The best thing about The Voice and the Sing Off is the fact the judges/mentors actually sing themselves. I like Shawn and Sara also, but Ben :swoon: I haven't read above so I wouldn't be prejudiced. Part One:

Yellowjackets : OK. Not jumping off the sofa. What was with all the flag waving? You know when the judge starts out saying your fluff stuff was really good, then the singing isn't the best.
    Fannin Family: Nice tone but all the same. Lead singer was very good. :rofl: at Ben's description about singing in an Irish pub. He is positive yet still gives excellent critique.
    Afro-Blue: Nice harmonies. I love jazz and would like to hear more jazzy numbers. 'warm butter on grits". One has to be from the South to appreciate that :lol:
    Deliah: A reincarnation from one of last year's early losers. I think she's a little screechy on some of the high notes, but I'd give them another chance. Rubbing seconds sounded so hot from my TV husband.
    Fannin Family out. Maybe they can regroup next season.

Part Two later.

24. LuckyCharm

This repeats tonight on Oxygen, 10/9c, for those who missed most of it like me.

25. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I hope that this show can somehow survive being up against DWTS and Two and a Half Men. I really like the show. Lots of talented singers and arrangers. Plus, IMO, it's the best judging panel on tv.

Did anyone else think that the lead singer from the family group had a voice that sounds a little like Sara Bareilles's voice? The kid was really good. Too bad her siblings weren't as good.

Delilah was my favorite from last night.

26. LuckyCharm

It's not looking good, since it's an hour into this weeks show and I had to go to page 4 of the forum to unbury this thread.:shuffle:

I just got home, missed all the first half's performances, and had screwed up to DVR settings. If anyone was watching a recap would be much appreciated.

27. rfisher

I'm DVR'ing this and Terra Nova. Too many good shows at 8 on Monday!

This is cheap to produce so I'm certain NBC will keep it.

28. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

This group The Collective is horrible. This girl whisper-singing badly... ew ew ew. I would send them home.

29. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

It's a shame that the Collective and the high school kids are in the same group of four. They are the two worst groups so far, imo.

30. UMBS Go Blue

:respec: :40beers: :cheer2: Yes! :cheer2: :40beers: :respec:

The only thing better would be if they'd included the group intro fluff piece that showed the campus in all its breathtaking :swoon: glory.