The Sing-Off 2010 (NBC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Dec 7, 2010.

1. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Many of us really enjoyed this show last year. It starts again tonight at 8/7c. Looks like it's going to be the same host and judges as last year, which is a good thing IMO. Who else is watching?

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm bummed this is going up against Skating with the Stars :( Gotta support the skating show first and foremost. But I hope to catch up on eps after the fact.

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'll be switching back and forth. There're 10 teams this time rather than 8. Apparently, the runners up from last year got some work on a Glee single which has sold really well.

4. rfisher

these guys singing Bad Romance are scaring me.

5. LuckyCharm

:lol:It was a fun performance though.

6. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed it last year!

7. rfisher

I'm recording this and will catch up after skating with the stars.

8. LuckyCharm

:wuzrobbed I hate eliminations. And only halfway through the first episode at that. Every group is so good.
    If I had to choose I probably would have axed the high-schoolers.

9. rfisher

Started with the BackBeats. I'll have to watch the recording to catch up with what I missed.

I read there's no autotune for this. What you hear is what they do.

10. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

some of those chicks in purple are rather well endowed and the strutting was unfortunate.

Nick is good looking, but Drew is :swoon:. Too bad we can't have the eye candy brothers as hosts instead just one

11. rfisher

I love Ben Folds. :cheer2: Has Nicole told everyone she's not like other people?

12. LuckyCharm

No but she did tell one guy that she could relate to what it's like having other people "not understanding who you are as an artist.":lol: I wouldn't have thought anything of it if not for DWTS. She's very sweet to all the groups and mostly constructive. She's like Paula Abdul off meds.

13. numbers123

some of the 11th hour look like 6th graders and some of them look like college students or older

14. LuckyCharm

That's how it is in high school.:) I was at the college or older end of the spectrum.

Their lead singer has a great voice, and their performance was cute, but their song just didn't make as much of an impact as some of the other groups. I guess that could just be my BieberBias(TM.):shuffle:

15. rfisher

Musical orgasm. :rofl:

These singers are a thousand times better than those that show up on AI

16. numbers123

Nicole is on whatever those guys are on....

17. LuckyCharm

Again, I hate the fact that any of these groups have to be eliminated, but I think Men of Note will be the ones to go this round. Their performance was nervous and I'm sure they could have done better. I wish everybody could get at least two chances to show their stuff.

18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Was Nick Lachey the leader of a choir group on some other reality show similar to this?

19. LuckyCharm

Yep. Clash of the Choirs. His group did the awesome acapella Flight of the Bumblebee. Musical accompaniment was allowed in that competition though.

20. numbers123

what makes this guys different than the Motown groups of the '60s and '70s?

this yale group sucks big time.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  21. Glide2

Glide2 New Member

I hated the Yalie Poofs too. It was all kinds of wrong. song choice, the lead singer's voice, those white gloves. yikes.

The senior citizens, the guys from Tennessee, and the final guy group, Commited, were very good.

22. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Missed all but I think the last 2 groups. Thought the girl who sang "If I Was a Boy" was in a little bit of trouble in the low notes, Committed was good but I am not interested in hearing each week how hard it is for them to do secular songs (meaning, I hope the show drops that angle - which they won't, of course).

Whenever the camera pans to the judges I have to remind myself that that isn't Kim Kardashian sitting in the middle.

I love Ben Folds. How the hell did he get wrapped up in this? :lol:

That group that got booted? SUCKED. At least on their goodbye song - they had so many keys going on I wanted to call them Alicia.

23. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

24. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

I actually enjoyed the Yale poofs as they were really entertaining. Thought 2nd half groups on the whole were much better than the groups in the 1st half.

25. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

The Whiffenpoofs sound far better live than they do on TV. They tend to give a very nuanced performance which is not as discernable via TV

26. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

The white gloves and tails are very traditional and there is a high degree of irony in many things Yale, not the least, the Whiffenpoofs. Try a typical Yale football game at home if you want to get a sense of what I mean.

27. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

LOL, I just watched the clip of the Whiffenpoofs. The guy during the introduction who talked about continuing the tradition of the uniform is actually a good friend of mine. I had no idea that they were on this program until I got a facebook invitation to come and celebrate their appearance this evening. :lol:

For anyone not used to Yale a capella, I could see how the performance as well as their demeanor would be very off-putting. The whole "we invented a capella" and "I feel inordinately powerful in my tux," as well as the golfing clips, probably did not win them any sympathies off the bat, but those things would just be met with laughter here. I agree that sense of tradition and irony are huge parts to their performance. Mika is a flamboyant singer, and The Whiffenpoofs, in their pressed formal tuxes and gloves, look like they would be anything but. One of the major points is how it looks like they would be breaking character, but by the end of the song, they calmly readjust their ties. There are also moments where they look deadly serious, which is again part of the irony.

I saw that performance a few years ago actually when the lead singer, Brennan, was with The Spizzwinks (a junior acapella group), and it completely brought the house down. By far, my favorite performance that night! However, I think it also had to do with the audience knowing Brennan's personality a little bit (in addition to singing, he's one of the best actors on campus), and this song is really kind of perfect for him. :)

sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I think that's true of a lot of these a capella groups. A lot of a capella groups also use humor in different ways, but their humor is geared to their usual audience and so they might not realize that other people won't quite get it. (The Princeton a capella singers on TAR appealed to some people, but definitely were not appealing to others, so some of it is just a matter of taste, but in a competition like this vocal one, the groups are going to have to deliberately broaden their appeal.) All of the groups need to be aware of the broader audience, whether it's a traditional Ivy a capella group or a group that is used to doing gospel instead of pop.

29. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I really liked the Poofs - they, and the old guys, were the best IMO.

I didn't like the high school ones (her voice was really shaky for half of it), the Beyonce ones (she had a hard time with the low notes), and the 'all about God' group.

Anyone else think that Ben Folds looks a bit like Dana Carvey?

30. numbers123

Maybe the sound better live, however in my opinion each of them was trying to outdo the other in volume and none of the song was understandable. Occasionally I would catch one or two words - like Grace Kelly, but that was it. And very snotty in their demeanor, as if they are gracing you with their presence as they are clearly better than any of their competition.