The Shibutanis thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanoverrated, Mar 30, 2014.

1. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

The USFS would be idiots not to take advantage of the Shibs savvy with social media and getting outside support. I am not saying they need to over score them or hold them up, but the USFS should do something PR wise.

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I love it! Good luck to Maia and Alex in the coming season! It would be so wonderful to see them come out strong and win a U.S. National Championship. :)

4. sylvestercat

sylvestercat Member

I like the Shibs but what would be that interesting about them to market, unless they win some big titles. They aren't controversial, there is no love story to cover, they don't do groundbreaking work.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

And yet they received positive media attention during the Olympics (not bad for the third-ranked ice dance team), other Olympians commented on how excited they were to meet them due to their social media presence, their YT views are consistently high, they are very comfortable in front of the camera, they are media savvy, etc. There are a million ways to sell a story. It does not always have to involve controversy or romance.

6. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

With Capellini/Lanotte announcing their switch to Canton, what will happen to the Shibs? They're getting shafted again, with C/L, Sinitsina/Katsalapov, and to a much lesser extent Aldridge/Eaton all switching to Marina. I'm hoping something good comes of it for the Shibs!

7. jackcrougar

jackcrougar New Member

With C&L going to Marina we can already safely say there is no chance of the Shibutanis being the #1 there. Atleast when it was S&K going there, it was probably undecided as nobody knew how good S&K would be right away, and it was open fight for the Shibutanis to show Marina they were improving and could take that spot. However with reigning world champions there, forget the Shibutanis hopes of being the new #1 with Marina.

8. jackcrougar

jackcrougar New Member

I don't know if they are super marketable but they are easily more marketable than Chock & Bates who are so boring! And Evan's dorky personality will never be a selling point. Chock & Bates would have to win major titles and even dominate to have any marketability. The Shibutanis can be somewhat marketable even not quite doing that well, just winning a few more medals. The problem is even that wont be easy for them to do again.

9. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Alex tweeted that Peter Tchernyshev choreographed their new exhibition program.

10. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. I wondered who had choreographed that program, because it didn't look quite like Zoueva's work to me. I hope this means that Marina is now willing to let her teams (or at least Maia and Alex) work with other choreographers for competition programs too. Mai and Alex especially could use another choreographer as this exhibition program shows - if that wasn't clear already before.

11. RobAlly

RobAlly Member

Another fun new video from Maia and Alex is on their Shibsibs Youtube channel. Backstage and rehearsals from THEICE show in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7BmPQfFEHg
    "Nagano rehearsals, Laughs, Pewpewpew"

12. RobAlly

RobAlly Member

13. leapfrogonice

Maia and Alex announced their music on their Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Maia.AlexShibutani?hc_location=timeline

As usual, a very nicely written update.

For the short dance they have worked again with Corky Ballas. The free dance using Strauss Waltzes should be lovely.
    They talk about how positive it has been with Massimo Scali joining their coaching team, and Charlie White as a mentor.

skateboy likes this.
  14. douglasottawa

douglasottawa New Member

The U.S should want the cute Shibs as U.S #1. Chock & Bates are generic and ordinary pretty much and boring as feck.

skateboy likes this.
  15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's the direct link to their post: https://www.facebook.com/Maia.AlexShibutani/posts/981659455183983

New ShibsSibs video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGpR4ybzO38
    Hopefully we'll get some 2014 Champs Camp videos in the future.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    skateboy likes this.
  16. leapfrogonice

Poaching and re-posting a lovely anecdote from "Binthere" who heard Maia and Alex deliver a speech together at the US Governing Council meeting.
    They seemed to be so capable of handling such opportunities with the kind of polished skills which one doesn't commonly see with athletes. Especially for their young ages. With fan support outside of the Olympic years as weak as it is, it gives me hope to see that there are skaters who can step up to the mike and "represent" in a way which helps make the sport seem like the people involved have something actually going on in their heads.

"In addition to enjoying their skating for what seems like many years now (even though Maia is now just barely out of her teenage years) I really admire how much effort the Shibutanis continually put into being good ambassadors for the sport. They were speakers at the Governing Council annual dinner. I was there with members of my club. It was clear that Maia and Alex had planned to show one of their fun videos with clips from their Olympic experience. Unfortunately, there were technical problems with the hotel's equipment so they couldn't show it.

Without missing a beat, they launched into an incredibly articulate and heartfelt "duet." They took turns speaking eloquently in front of a full ballroom about how their experiences in Sochi inspired them. They also described being students of the history of the sport, and about how they were not pleased about the decline in the popularity of figure skating. They shared how they felt there was a responsibility especially as Olympians, to try to be positive forces, not just within the community of skating fans but to a wider audience. They spoke about their commitment to helping rebuild interest and respect for the sport. They are clearly making the effort.

They were passionate, genuine and funny. They interacted with people in the audience very naturally. They got a well-deserved standing ovation.

Many on "the boards" take great pleasure at being dismissive of Maia and Alex and think they should quit. Many also think of ice dancing from what seems a very narrow or limited perspective on what constitutes excellence. I think they are unique, and that unique is welcome. I enjoy their skating and really appreciate how they go above and beyond, sharing their unique intelligence and passion as athletes in this sport."

skateboy and aftershocks like this.
  17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Source link: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...se-This-Season&p=978432&viewfull=1#post978432

The Shibutanis are helping promote 2015 Nationals single ticket sales in Greensboro, NC today - check out their respective and USFigureSkating's Twitter accounts.

ETA links to 2 local TV appearances -
    Alex: http://www.wncn.com/story/26449210/us-figure-skating-championship
    Maia: http://centralnc.twcnews.com/conten...4/in-depth--u-s--figure-skating-championship/

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  18. VIETgrlTerifa

That post was beautiful. It eloquently put into words of how I feel about the Shibs and what they give to the sport. I appreciate that they are students of the history of the sport and it's quite clear how much they love skating for skating's sake. I also want to frame the last paragraph because that is how I have felt about people's ideas of what constitutes Ice Dancing for a long time (well, since the success of North American teams and how some people still can't deal with it).

19. Fancypancy

Fancypancy Active Member

I am 100% with you Platov will zoom shibuts to the top... Look what he did for the Brits Coomes / Buck.
    I actually thought I would be reading that change this summer... sad it didn't happen

20. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

21. RobAlly

RobAlly Member

22. VIETgrlTerifa

Their new SD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB-PGp8H4Jo

Any thoughts? I actually enjoyed it a lot, but I am a fan of theirs. Their PCS at Ondrej is probably the highest they received in a long time, though it's not much higher than what they usually get. They received some 8+s in some of the PCS categories, so that's something.

23. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

That SD looks like a total Zoueva program. Nothing's changed. Boring.

24. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding and sharing the SD video. They have some nice flourishes in it and it was a good first effort. I hope this season goes their way.

25. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am going out on a limb and posting that the Shibs could win either gold (hard) or silver (more likely) at worlds in 2015. The ice dance field is rather weak this year, and the Shibs are Marina's best ice dance couple right now. Shrewd as she is, she may recognize this opportunity for her students and promote them. I never thought C&L were that great, but they got lucky at worlds last year and won. Weaver & Poje will be tougher to beat this year, but the Shibs have been around and are well known, with a successful coach. Unless they decide to quit in a year or two, I see a bright future for them.

26. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

Wow that's quite a limb you're going on. I say this as a fan of theirs. And honestly the last thing I want on them is another target on their back because of them stumbling upon a gold/silver medal due to the state of the field.

I honestly think a more realistic target is giving Chock and Bates a run for their money for the Nationals Championship and maybe a solid top 4 or 5 finish. Anything better is a bonus, IMO.

As for the SD itself -- I suggest turning the music off. It gives you a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Basically I agree with others there are some good flourishes. I think their execution of the elements is excellent.

What I think they need more sharpness in movement and I feel they miss on some musical nuances in the music. The music at times overpowers them. tl;dr: More power!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  27. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I don't see any chance at gold or silver for the Shibs this year. Absolute best case is a bronze if they overtake Chock & Bates as U.S #1. I agree pushing C&B and a top 5 at worlds this year would be a success for them. If there is any chance for gold or silver it wont be until when worlds come to the U.S in 2016 if everything goes perfect for them between then and now.

Also the reigning world champions (even if they are weakish ones) C&L are now with Marina, as well as Katsalapov and his new partner, so I highly doubt she considers the Shibutanis her #1 team. Nobody is going to treat a team who hasn't been top 5 at worlds in 4 years as #1 over the reigning World Champions when they are training at the same venue.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  28. Barbara Manatee

Barbara Manatee Well-Known Member

I quite like that short dance - they pulled it off better than I expected they would, considering that dramatic and fiery is so out of character for them. It flowed very well, even if it did look a little small. If they get to the point when they're feeling it instead of so obviously thinking it through, they could to give Chock and Bates a challenge.

29. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I've had the same feeling about the Shibs this season.

For me the paso confirms it, this team is going to be on a major upswing this year and I think if the SD is any indication, they're going to have strong material this year. That was an effective paso, the steps in the serpentine are perfect with the music. Maya has excellent posture when in holds. It's traditional but mature and not a junior program or performance.

I think Maia still needs to sell it more in places and the leg lines need to be sharper, but this is going to be one of the better choreographed and coherent paso's that we'll see this season IMO. They're going to be one of the it teams this year and really have a chance to build up some momentum for their worlds ranking with the PCS, especially with Russia completely on hiatus early season.

C/L with Marina will help C/L but not hurt the Shibs, if anything I think it'll motivate them more than training with D/W and V/M because they've beaten C/L in the past.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  30. VIETgrlTerifa

Watching this after seeing Chock/Bates SD sort of shows just how contrasting the two teams are. Chock/Bates move much easier and more naturally, seem to do a lot more upper-body movements, and seem to cover a lot ice. They also do a lot of big moves as their transitions which require a lot of energy. I also really enjoyed their lift. Although the Shibs' lift looks like a Paso Doble-type cape move, it doesn't really sell a character at the end and is similar (or the same) to the one that they did last season in both dances.

However, C/B not as finessed and they really skate far apart. The Shibs need to skate a bit bigger and add more transitions. That said, I found them to be a lot cleaner in execution, skate really close together, have excellent carriage and posture (whereas Chock gets really sloppy in many of the holds), and they seemed more sure on the actual footwork while C/B sell their sureness better through their expression. I also way preferred the Shibs' music and decision to do a full-out Paso Doble. It reminds me of a OD we would have seen in the 1995-1996 season. C/B's meanwhile was really boring and not sure if it even was a Paso Doble. Chock's showbiz style perk doesn't really fit with the theme.

skateboy likes this.