The Shibutanis thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanoverrated, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

If you look at the ages of those who placed above them at the Olympics: 27/26, 24/26, 19/22, 30/33, 24/24, 27/28, 25/27, 21/25; then I think age can be ruled out as a factor for the Shibutani's. None of the people who placed above them are younger then them, and one team was the same age. Ice dance is not singles skating, which is where the age comments seem to come from. The Shibs age is not old in ice dancing- in fact, their world medal they were downright prodigies (and in a bit of a lucky situation for them)

Actually now that the Shibs are older I hope to see their skating mature a bit. Maybe they will win medals, maybe they won't.
    It will be interesting to see how they stack up with the retirements and splits that are taking place this season. And there are certainly new teams who want to take their spot.

2. ripingroar37

ripingroar37 Member

I never said they were old or too old and that is why I didnt think they would win more medals. I dont think they will win more medals since they havent made any progress in awhile and I just dont see it happening. I only dismissed the idea they were too young to be done winning medals. Sumners and Cohen were not too young to be done winning medals. In their case it was because they were surpassed technically. In the Shibutanis it might be more artistically they cant compete, and technically they dont stand out like they used to. Either way it adds to the same thing in the end. We will see in 4 years if they have another world medal. I bet not.

3. Skittl1321

Except again you are comparing them to single skaters careers. It is common for single skaters to finish their careers young. It is common for ice dancers to gain momentum at this age. It's difficult to say what will happen to the Shibs now, but I think comparisions to Sumners and Cohen make no sense.

4. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

Shibs need work on their TES.
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/SEG008.HTM

While they were 6th in TES in the SD portion, they were 14th in TES in the FD (ripingroar37, you are wrong, Shibs were 14th in TES in the FD, not 10th. They got beat by lower placed teams like Zlobina/Sitnikov, Zhiganshina/Gazsi, Hurtado/Diaz, and Guiggnard/Fabri in TES). In both segments they finished 9th and 10th overall respectively, for a 9th place finish.

Worlds 2014: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/SEG007.HTM
    They were 6th in TES in the SD portion and finished 6th in that segment, thanks to I/K's zero credit twizzles. Shibs actually got lower TES than the two teams that placed below them, Z/G and S/Z.
    In the FD they were 6th in TES and finished 6th overall in the FD. But as you can see G/P got the same levels as them and almost tied them in GOE (only 0.08 difference in TES between the two).

At Worlds 2013, in the SD they were 8th in TES and 8th in that segment. In the FD they were 9th in TES and 9th in that segment.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  5. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

I think most concerning is Shibs PCS. All the teams placed higher than Shibs at Worlds and Olympics, other than Chock/Bates, all have PCS that are over a full point more than Shibs in every area (and that is with teams like W/P, C/L, P/B, B/S, I/K). That's a lot. Actually that's more than a lot.

6. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

I love the Shibs. Sometimes I get pissed at the judges scores for them, but then again I am not that technically knowledgable on ice dance, so maybe the scores are fair. I always try be objective regardless who I prefer or who my favorites are, but dance is the sport I feel least knowledgable on in a technical sense so is the hardest to do that. I just know watching the Shibutanis to my untrained eye, I find them being treated by harshly by judges ever since their 2011 worlds. Not saying they deserved any major podiums since then, definitely not, but often deserved higher scores and sometimes placements I felt.

7. The Observer

The Observer New Member

They are certainly not old. They are still one of the youngest ice dance teams in the Top 10. However, over the past few seasons they have been overtaken by teams that they beat back in 2011 (W&P, B&S, I&K, P&B, C&L, etc.) They are also now getting beaten by their American teammates, Chock & Bates. And last a month a couple of newer teams closed in on them (S&Z, G&P). So they have been losing ground.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The good news for them is with the split of I&K they are now by far the youngest team in the top 10 again arent they?

9. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Maia is only 19. But Alex turns 23 this week.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011168.htm

Piper & Paul are both only 22. Paul doesn't turn 23 until November, so Alex is half a year older, and Piper won't be 23 until next January.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034084.htm

So these two teams are close in their overall ages. The aggregate age of The Shibs is youngest, but Alex is older than both Piper & Paul. So it depends on how you look at it, I guess.

3rd youngest is probably Alexandra & Mitchell at 22 & 24.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012269.htm

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  10. judgejudy27

Thanks. Well it does seem like they are overall the youngest against with only the Canadian kids coming close. What are the overall ages of the 2 new russian teams should they pan out to be anything.

11. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

Hubbell/Donohue are also young-He turned 22 in January, she in Feb. It is exciting that many of the up and coming teams will be around for a while!!

12. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Hubbell/Donohue both turned 23 in January & February:

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013466.htm

But yes, many of these ice dance teams coming up are still young! Sometimes it seems like they are older because we've seen some of them competing since they were teens!

13. flippedstargirl

flippedstargirl Member

Alex tweeted earlier today
    Can't wait to see what they have in store!

14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I hope it's not the same excitement that they had for the Michael Jackson FD.

15. grassroots39

grassroots39 Member

The Shibutanis easily have the potential to be the best dance team ever. They could potentially win the next 2 Olympic golds.

16. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that thinks a Cirque Du Soleil program would fit the Shibs wonderfully? Got to thinking about this the other day?

17. flippedstargirl

flippedstargirl Member

I think they would have a lot of fun with a program like that!

18. joubertelegant

joubertelegant Member

The Shibs will proably be the the team to beat in the 2019-2022 quad. This quad will probably be more led by Weaver & Poje, Capellini & Lanotte, and Bobrova & Soloviev though.

19. Xela M

Xela M New Member

Ugh... what a depressing prospect that is :yawn:

20. Skittl1321

That sure is a long time to stick around waiting...

21. keep n spin n

keep n spin n Member

With this past year's Japan SOI, Olympics and Worlds and another year older, I think that we can expect to see amazing progress taken to the next level with even more confidence and strength in competitions in the next year and beyond. They already have the exactness and precision and all of it combined with fresh choreography will make for a winning team. They are truly All-AMerican sweethearts.

22. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

The Shibs need to overtake Chock & Bates and fast if they are to ever win another world medal. Judges wont ever allow more than 2 NA teams on the podium again, and they might be reluctant to let more than 1 in the coming years after 6 years of frusterating NA monopoly on top. Weaver & Poje are obviously NA #1, so Shibs needs to atleast become U.S #1 and try and even then tackle NA #1. They are losing ground to C&B all the time it seems, so if they dont make a move on them soon, they will probably never be U.S #1.

23. The Observer

The Observer New Member

And the rising Canadian dance teams of Gilles/Poirier and Paul/Islam are also beginning to close in on The Shibs. With 2 more NA teams entering the Top 10 at this year's Worlds, it will be interesting to see how that effects the placements next year. G&P almost beat The Shibs in the FD at Worlds, and if P&I can continue improving their consistency, they might have a shot at rivaling The Shibs too.

24. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

Yes I see it more likely the Shibs continue to drop backwards more than anything. Although if C&L split they will be the 3rd highest placed team from worlds last year left, but that doesnt consider Bobrova & Soloviev who would be heavily favored over them.

25. Meoima

Meoima Active Member

I like the Shibs, eventhough they haven't been in their best. Somehow I have the feeling they are undermarked. I hope their programs next season will be great!

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

27. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

28. judgejudy27

If they keep losing to Chock & Bates this season I think I will cry. Not only do I love the Shibs, but C&B just are so zzzzzz in everyway for me, although I recognize they are a quality technical team (although the Shibs also are).

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I know they're attached to school and Michigan, but IMO, they should head to Montreal with Dubreuil, Lauzon, and Haguenauer, who helped to create many great programs for Delobel/Schoenfelder, who, like P/B, were never poster children for sexual tension.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Mainly in New Jersey - Mount Laurel, I believe?

The Shibs are in Japan right now:
    ETA: Maia turned 20 on July 20: http://instagram.com/p/qrAMdBS7ql/

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014