The Shibs

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by arakwafan2006, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

Has any brother-sister team ever split up to skate with other partners? I can't name any. And if there is/are, did the new match become more successful?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Madison Hubbell went to her first Worlds last season with Zachary Donohue (ETA: in their first season together). Keiffer Hubbell will make his debut at 2013 Nationals with Anastasia Olson (she skated with an injury in their international debut at Ice Challenge last month).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

one interesting reverse case was tiffany steigler. she skated pairs with her brother and was on the cusp of their potential, but johnnie didnt want to pursue skating anymore and she grew so tall, so she transitioned into ice dancing. she wasnt as successful at it. if only she was paired with a very strong partner and had really good coaching

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Tiffany Stiegler was paired with a very strong partner, but it was too late. When interviewed after the switch, she said as a pair skater, she'd always been envious of the dancers and wished to be one. Unfortunately, she didn't pursue it in time.

The Duschenays won a world bronze, silver, and gold and an Olympic silver medal. When they did "West Side Story," they were Maria and Bernardo.

5. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

I didn't know about that partner change of Tiffany Stiegler's, and it's a pity she couldn't succeed more in ice dancing any more, obviously she would have liked to be an ice dancer. How old was she? Normally, ice dancers experience the height of their carreer later in life than pairs skaters.

The Duchesnay's are my favourite brother-sister team ever, partly because they always stated that they would never skate with anyone else. They had also changed from pairs skating to ice dancing after a serious accident (apart from that Isabelle had become too tall for pairs). West Side Story was a rather strange thing, considering that Maria and Bernardo don't appear together in the musical/stageplay/book (when they skated it at the '92 Olympics, the commentators had to explain to the TV spectators who they were portraying, because everyone is used to the Maria-Tony-relation), but the Duchesnays would have been the perfect cast for these roles, had it been a show on ice. Their other programmes ("Missing" about the disappearance of people under dictatorship, "Reflections" about one person examining themself in a mirror and questioning their identity, "Savage Rites" about two people facing the dangers of the jungle) are interesting examples of non-romantic themes in ice dancing.
    There's such a variety of themes which don't suggest romance, the Shibutanis don't have to fear that they are anyhow limited in their expression.

6. piano18

piano18 New Member

They need to go to a technique coach.
    IMO, their skating skills/basics are not WOW. I always thought of their skills to be a lot closer to their teammates Davis/White, rather than I/K or V/M. Actually, I find them a lot more like an elegant, quieter version of Davis/White.

7. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

that's one apt description

8. missysays

missysays Active Member

I disagree. I find them to be a non-romantic version of Virtue and Moir. Same emphasis on lines and sustained edging and positions.

9. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

What the heck? They're among the best, most skilled technicians out there. What they need, apart from a respite from the anti-NA backlash, is greater emotional depth in their skating. Which is highly attainable, as others have already pointed it with the Duchesnays and even Kerrs.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

There will be a LIVE chat with the "Shib Sibs" on Tuesday, December 11 at 3:30pm EST on the Official Facebook page of the U.S. Olympic Committee: https://www.facebook.com/events/175255905954507/

Alex also tweeted today that he and Maia "will be taping a segment for the @todayshow on Wed. (10 am) at Rockefeller Center that will air on Christmas morning!"

11. missysays

missysays Active Member

Here are the recordings of the chat- sort of cut off at the end of each. But they're so cute!

http://www.livestream.com/usoc/vide...b375&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb
    http://www.livestream.com/usoc/vide...60b4&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

One interesting tidbit- they switched their Mary Poppins SD after Champs Camp because they got feedback that they were outskating it. Also, stay tuned they have another ShibSib video planned.

12. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

They seem like sweet kids but I think their career has already peaked with that World bronze in 2011. Their results might improve a bit after Sochi, but it is not like they will fly back to the top. There are already teams ahead of them now roughly their age. I think they should skate together though, it is not like they do will do any better with anyone else at this stage of their career.

13. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I disagree. They weren't "supposed" to get World bronze in '11, that only happened because P/B faltered. I personally love the Shibs and recognize that they are a very, very talented team. Of course, there are always many factors, but I see no reason they can't be frontrunners after Sochi.

14. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Exactly. And their senior debut package was so perfectly tailored to them that they actually stood out. They had more issues with their programs the second time out, and even a little bit now (although I see great potential in the FD; I enjoy watching it very much, though). They made mistakes at Worlds and Alex has been injured or ill.

The first season had the stars align for them. No reason they can't align again. They're still super young.