The rise of the Philippines in figure skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by AlexDSSF, Mar 8, 2013.

1. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

And my point is that they should now be able to access more money in the Phils from third parties, since he's the pre-eminent home-grown skater and getting good intl results. Which tends to make up for a lot of whatever financial shortcomings his family feels they have. And regardless of where he trains and competes. Phils companies are no different from those anywhere else, in that they want to get behind a winner. Hopefully Mrs. Martinez is being as proactive about marketing opportunities as she is about posting rants on social media.

2. jlai

jlai Title-less

If Martinez had skated for the US he would still have been eligible for team C funding at the least. Plus some parts of his competition expenses. He might have gotten some local community support too ala Todd E before he got famous. It is not as if he would have been a complete nobody in the US. At the same time, he has yet to warrant huge funding in his home country, and the sport is not popular enough for the federation to be well funded yet. So being a breakthrough skater in a small, poor fed has disadvantages.

Also, while we dunno his financial situatiin, it can come off all forms of wrong if we assume they are just like US skating families financially while they are far from it, esp given the living standard differences. Anyway, it is better to not give generalization as to who is no better off than who as a group or how skating families are in SE Asians as a group. That is a v broad generalization

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  3. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

4. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I have to say I don't have much sympathy.

5. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Interesting that Michael Christian Martinez elected to skate at Skate Helena in Belgrade over the weekend (he was the only senior competitor) rather than Four Continents. I figure logistics between 4CC and Olympics factored in the decision (potential travel costs of having to go to Taipei then to Sochi). Meanwhile, Chris Caluza finished 12th at Four Continents.

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

He's been training in Russia in preparation for the Olympics. Presumably he/his coaching team/the federation figured that a relatively nearby competition would be a better idea than a trip to 4CC.

7. arcuel

arcuel New Member

I saw this on his Facebook fanpage:

"We could not get a Visa to Taipei. We did not receive the invitation ,so we could not process the visa"

8. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

This doesn't quite make sense. Martinez presumably holds a Philippine passport and as he trains part of the year in the USA, also a visa for the USA. As such, he would be entitled to 30 days visa exempted in Taiwan unless competing in an athletic contest (possibly for money prize) puts him in a different category that voids this allowance. That said, I find it hard to believe that the Taiwan organizers did not send Martinez the letter of invitation for this competition since he was on the official ISU roster by the entry deadline. I'm wondering if the LOI went to the Philippines directly to his Federation, and either the ball was dropped there or the time frame to get it to Martinez in Russia just wasn't long enough to deal with getting to the ROC mission in Moscow to get a formal visa processed. Moreover, if Martinez knew he was going to need a visa for Taiwan and knew that he would be in Russia for a spell to train...why wouldn't he or coach have made advance arrangements to deal with this? Hmm.... I'm tempted to conclude that Zemgirl's explanation is the real one, and that recently he/coach/Fed decided that the potential downsides of disrupting training + the travel required to compete at 4CC then back to Sochi, outweighed any potential benefits.

9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Or maybe the written invitation got lost in the mail.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

11. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

I'm inclined to think that the Federation dropped the ball. They still seem to be learning and doing things on the fly as they come up. They seem to be very Azerbaijan-like when it comes to stuff like this. Hopefully they can pull it together.

12. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Filipino figure skater who can't always afford coach turns to prayer

I'm praying for you Michael Martinez!!

The time has come to set aside differences.

I have waited a long time to see the Philippines skate in the Winter Olympics, often wondering if it would ever happen.

Hopefully NBC realizes how many Filipino immigrants & their families will be watching in the US & will not try to commercial break during the entrance of the Philippines in the opening ceremonies.

PINOY PRIDE !!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  13. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Lone Filipino Athlete in the Winter Olympics

14. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

I do not understand the logic behind PSU (Philippine Skating Union) not sending the current defending repeat-National champion to the games. I have nothing against Mrs. Martinez and Michael, but from the very start they were not interested on supporting Bulanhagui & Caluza. Especially when they did not send them to Obersdorf.

15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Martinez qualified the spot at Nebelhorn, is younger, finished fifth at Junior Worlds, has a higher PB than Caluza and probably more long-term potential, and was born and raised in the Philippines. I suspect some combination of these things decided this in his favor. In some countries, international results carry far more weight than Nationals.

Bulanhagui skated poorly last season, so the decision to send Perticheto to Nebelhorn was understandable.

Good luck to Michael and I hope he'll be joined by other Filipino skaters in 2018!

TDsk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

In the case of Caluza, I'd like to think the federation would have considered Caluza as the frontrunner had he qualified the spot outright at the 2013 World Championships. When he didn't make it to the long program at 2013 Worlds, that along with Martinez placing 5th at Junior Worlds were probably the critical factors in determining who would go to Nebelhorn (a decision that was made before any of the summer/early fall 2013-14 competitions).

17. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Well you know enough people in the PSU to ask them directly instead of doing so on a figure skating message board.

18. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Wishing Michael well at the Olympics!

19. ronniev

ronniev New Member

Rude.

20. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue Member

21. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Happy Michael Christian Martinez did so well!
    Yay Michael, start of some really good things...who knows, he could do for Philippines what Denis Ten is doing for Kazhakstan! :)

22. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Now, is his name Michael Christian Martinez or, " ummmmmm Martinez, Christian Michael?"

23. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Would love to figure skaters from traditionally non-skating countries do well. Martinez is pride of Philippines.

24. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue Member

An Exclusive One-on-One with Michael Christian Martinez

25. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue Member

Martinez on Sochi stint: 'We made history'

Senate commends Michael Christian Martinez for historic Olympic campaign

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  26. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

He has a big, big fan in my mom. Ever since she saw him at the Olympics, she's been talking about him a lot during our phone conversations.

27. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I really loved his performances at the Olympics...so much potential! :) I hope that he will continue to find sponsors who will fund his skating.

28. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm amazed he could skate with torn ligaments in his ankles! I hope he gets sufficient support for both medical treatment AND to support his skating.

29. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue Member

30. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member