The rise of the Philippines in figure skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by AlexDSSF, Mar 8, 2013.

1. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue Member

Injuries could force Michael Christian Martinez’ withdrawal from [Junior] World Championships

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

He's been grinding away since Nebelhorn. :wideeyes: Poor kid.
  3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

It is always a big challenge for skaters living in tropical countries where ice skating is non-existent. This kid is talented to have qualified to skate in Sochi. Unless the government can assist (like Yuna and Ten), it is an uphill battle for skaters in these countries to progress.
  4. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

He's a terrific representative for the Philippines. I would rather see him skate as a long term prospect than risk injuries in a rush to get ready for Worlds.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

But he is not entered for Worlds. :confused:
  6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

From what I have read, Michael is dealing with an injury (painful and problematic ankle) although he is trying to practice. I also read separately that Chris Caluza is on the Worlds team for Philippines. We'll see...
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The entry lists for Worlds are out and Caluza has been entered, not Martinez.
  8. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Good luck to Caluza, hoping that the Philippines can continue the a streak of creditable performances and build further.
  9. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue Member

The original title of the article is missing the word "Junior".

The article says:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  10. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue Member

Michael Martinez pulls out of World Juniors

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That is the big problem with competitive sport. You can't allow yourself to take a break long enough to fully heal and the injuries keep piling up overtime. :(
  12. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Good opportunity for Caluza to deliver a respectable performance without all the 'i wuz robbed' drama. I hope he seizes the day.
  13. redfiretrees

redfiretrees New Member

I'm wondering why Alisson Perticheto didn't compete in the Juniors Worlds Championship. Does anyone know the reason? It was already sad that Michael Martinez was also not been able to take part because of his injuries. It would have been great if he was able to beat his placement last year but we will never know..
  14. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS New Member

Looks like she has been removed from the World Championship list as well.
  15. redfiretrees

redfiretrees New Member

Also just saw the list a few minutes ago. I wonder what happened? She's missed (Junior Worlds) and will be missing another great opportunity to gain international experience. Too bad there isn't an alternate that could replace her so that the PH could have a skater there at the Ladies event.
  16. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS New Member

The other junior skaters didn't make TES mins, and there are no other seniors who have TES mins. She is the only one that qualifies.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She's probably injured.
  18. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS New Member

I suspect so, as someone told me she went to Jr Worlds and did the practice ice, then pulled out. So I think you hit the nail on the head.
  19. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I wonder what the P.S.U. thinks of its decision to put all of its eggs in the Perticheto basket. Melissa Bulanhagui met the SP minimum and narrowly missed the FS minimum. Given another chance (Nebelhorn), she might have made the FS minimum and also qualified a spot for the Olympics.
  20. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

And she might not have, too. But given the hissy fit she threw, I think it is good riddance...
  21. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue Member

No stoppin’ Michael Martinez’s magic carpet ride

Martinez overcomes injuries to win gold at Triglav Trophy

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  22. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

^^^ Chris Caluza congratulated Martinez on Twitter.

Caluza had a good Worlds in Saitama (ETA: 19th was his highest finish in 3 trips to Worlds), setting new ISU personal best scores, FS (128.54) and Total (193.23). Link to his Worlds FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk8qs4Z8Q1A

Results/protocols are posted in the Triglav Trophy competition thread in Kiss and Cry (now open to all): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?91829-Triglav-Trophy-(Slovenia)-April-2-6-2014

Martinez landed 6 triples in his FS, including both 3A. IIRC, he said at the Olympics that his future goals include landing a 3-3 consistently and learning a quad.
  23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Now that the sponsor money is flowing in, thanks to the Olympics exposure, I wonder whether Martinez is going to relocate to the US full-time and who his coach will be. He's also been reported to have had a very good working relationship with Kudriavtsev who praised his work ethic so Moscow would also be an option.
  24. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

With the addition of his Triglav points, Martinez will be in the top 24 on the ISU World Ranking list after the old data is purged. Any chance he will move up to Senior internationally?
  25. Sylvia

Martinez has been competing in Senior B comps for the past 2 years already; I can't see him turning down a Grand Prix invitation.

(Waiting to see if he receives the 250 ISU ranking points for Triglav despite there only being 7 Senior men entered.)

ETA: If he doesn't qualify for a Senior GP invite, then it would make more sense for him, ISU points-wise, to return to the JGP and continue to do Senior B comps.
  26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Where are the requirements documented for the number of skaters/different countries represented, officials, etc. for an event to qualify for WS points?

The definition of an international competition is that at least one foreign member is invited and at least two members participate, but the ISU Constitution only references World Standings WRT start orders.

ETA: Found it: 1629 says points are only earned if there are at least eight entries in singles, six from four members for Dance, and five from three members for Pairs. Martinez should not be awarded points for Triglav, which puts him back in the position before the competition, at #27 on the WS list, if no one is removed. From what I recall, it's up to the Feds to tell the ISU when a skater has retired, which they usually do by the time they submit names for the GP, and only then is the skater removed. There are the potential removals that would impact the Top 24 WS: Abbott, #25 Verner, both of whom have announced retirements, and Takahashi, who has not. Martinez would need all three to be removed before he'd move into Top 24 SB.
  27. Sylvia

I believe this is the most recent ISU Communication (from 2010): http://static.isu.org/media/99358/1629-world-standing-sandp_id.pdf

IIRC, Martinez mentioned in Sochi that he hopes to continue working with both Kulik and Kudriatsev.
  28. twicken

twicken New Member

Can he enter both the Jr. and Sr. Grand Prix? He has a very good chance at qualifying for the GPF at the Jr level, so I would prefer him to do that instead
  29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's not allowed. Pairs were able to do both Junior and Senior Grand Prix at one point and I can't recall whether this is still the case or not.
  30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The rules changed from 2011-12:

to 2012-13:

The Federations submit one list of skaters for GP eligibility and another for JGP eligibility, with no overlap.
  31. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The ISU has in the past awarded points when there are less than 8 skaters participating. The most recent example was Coupe de Printemps, when there were 7 men. Points were awarded to the top 5 men at that competition, so I'd assume they'd be awarded for Triglav as well.
  32. Sylvia

2014 Coupe du Printemps final results listed 2 Senior men as WD (unlike at Triglav) - I wonder if that's why the ISU ranking points were counted?
  33. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

They've update the Ladies WS, but they haven't added points for the men, at least at this point.

If I were an event organizer, I would call my friends in high places and be sure to have some extra entries, even if they were planning to WD.
  34. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Martinez' season may not yet be over - he's considering competing at the UAE (Desert) Open in Dubai (I believe at the end of the month or early May).
  35. Sylvia

I Googled and came up with "Desert Open Figure Skating Championship in Abu Dhabi, Zyed Sport City ice rink on Friday and Saturday 25-26 April 2014." Is there an ISU competition announcement?

ETA that the Desert Open is not an ISU competition - it's the Golden Cup of Dubai (refer to sammyf's links posted below).
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  36. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

37. Sylvia

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  38. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That boy is such a workhorse!
  39. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue Member

Michael Martinez returns home with gold medal

40. redfiretrees

redfiretrees New Member

Update on Michael Martinez.

He's very happy that he won the gold medal at the Triglav Trophy since it was his first time to beat the 2 Japanese skaters who have a better records than him. His injured knees are also doing better.

There was a news report and interview of him (and his mother) saying that he might need to stop skating because his mother said that they are running out of funds to support his skating career for the next four years since in order to get to the next level of skating (like learning/perfecting the quad jump and other skills ) he needs to train in the US. His mother said that training in the US will cost them 10,000 USD per month since the coaches there charge 100-150 USD per hour. BUT his mom is in talks with the SM Group (one of the biggest companies in the Philippines, which owns the malls and the ice skating rinks where Michael trains and learned to skate) and they released a statement that they are committed to supporting him until the 2018 Winter Olympics. No details though on how much money they are willing to sponsor him.

Here is a link to the article and the video. The video is in Tagalog/Filipino but the article is in English.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/04/21/14/sm-vows-support-michael-martinez-olympics-bid
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014