The rise of the Philippines in figure skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by AlexDSSF, Mar 8, 2013.

1. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

We didn't see Ashley Wagner slagging of USFSA or her competitors on facebook/twitter or other media when she was getting best results from all US ladies and then messed up one nationals and missed out on Olympics 2010. Hopefully Melissa Bulanhagui will learn.

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i dont think it is the same situation because of the added complications of changing feds

3. jlai

jlai Title-less

nm

4. jlai

jlai Title-less

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

"Be informed that the President is not inclined to grant you clearance to participate at the forthcoming Philippine Nationals 2013 due to your utter disrespect towards the decisions made by the Philippine Skating Union and due to you subsequent acts inimical to the interest of the Federation"

6. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Well-Known Member

:lol: at the comments below. My personal favorites:
    "They deserved to be disrepected."
    "(To fans/friends) If you want to give the president a piece of your mind email him all you want." From her husband of all people. #Nobodyf*ckswithmywife
    "What disrepect? You should report them to the ISU."

Geez with friends like that how can you go wrong in life? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wow, she and her husband really are behaving like 5-year olds...

8. triple

triple Member

Totally agree! Looks like the philippine skating union has made the right decision. Also, it looks like she is not being sent to the Coupe de Nice either. Guess this is the end of the season for her.

9. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

End of season? I think maybe even end of career. If she continues with what she is doing, she won't be allowed to compete for them even next year and year after that... Is she young enough to change countries again?

10. triple

triple Member

She mentioned switching to pairs with Taylor Toth in an interview (can't find the link), but I'm not sure if she's serious. Other than that, yeah sounds like her career is over. Any chance USFA will take her back?

11. icellist

icellist Member

there's always Azerbaijan :lol::shuffle:

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And she could train with Kristin Fraser/Igor Lukanin at her rink just like the current 'Azerbaijani' junior man! <3

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

PH's first Olympic skater rues lack of gov't support: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-filipino/11/05/13/phs-first-olympic-skater-rues-lack-govt-support
    Excerpt:
    Last week, Martinez scored 197.18 (66.01 SP, 131.17 FS) in placing 4th at the Volvo Open Cup (Senior B) in Riga, Latvia.

I believe Philippine Nationals will take place Nov. 23-24 at the SM Mall Of Asia ice rink in Pasay City, Philippines (will start a competition thread in Kiss and Cry as soon as I can confirm the dates).

14. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

This is too bad, especially now in light of what happened in the Phillipines last week in regards to Super Typhoon Haiyan. :( I doubt many people can afford to contribute, hopefully Michael can secure a sponsor or two here in the States...

This is why I'm always so happy when a skater does get a sponsor, helps with the tremendous cost of skating, and on that note I hope all skaters around the world get at least one sponsor for the upcoming Olympics. :cool:

15. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Has Martinez officially been declared the Olympic entrant then, regardless of Nats against Caluza?

16. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Michael tweeted that he had been informed that he would be going to Sochi by his federation - that was, IIRC, several weeks ago.

17. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

The Philippines does have some home-grown major corporations that could help sponsor him (San Miguel, Jollibee, certain banks) as well as Phils subsidiaries of multinationals. I'm not sure if he's approached any of them for help yet.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes - refer to twicken's post #103.

Fact: Caluza, the current Philippine national champ, has placed ahead of Martinez the last 3 times they have competed head-to-head: Philippine Nationals in November 2012, 2013 Four Continents, and the U.S. International Classic in SLC this past September.

Even so, I can understand why the PHI federation decided to send Martinez to Nebelhorn Trophy due to his excellent showing at 2013 Junior Worlds (5th), consistent triple Axel, his youth (he turned 17 earlier this month), and the fact that he he was born and grew up in the Philippines. Caluza hurt his chances, IMO, when he skated way below par in the SP at 2013 Worlds and did not qualify for the FS.

I admire that Caluza has "let his skating do the talking" so far - he skated very well and won the silver medal in a Senior B in Italy this past September (he set new personal best scores even though they don't count) - from earlier in this thread:

19. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Such a shame about that Worlds SP, that likely was indeed the decider. :(

But Martinez has good potential and is pleasant to watch - I hope he can make the most of the opportunity. And kudos to Caluza for his excellent attitude considering the disappointment.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for Caluza. He is a very special skater, capable of pulling off creative and complex choreography, a lot of transitions, whilst performing with real passion. He should destroy most skaters with quads on those three PCS marks at least.

Nevertheless, I have to agree with the federation's decision. Martinez has a consitent 3axel, which Caluza lacks, is young and seems to be quite consistent.

Having said that, again, just like with Bulanghui vs. Pertricheto, the Filipino federation should have had a clear and transparent nomination process.

21. misskarne

misskarne #408

Martinez's clean 3A and also his fourth place at Junior Worlds, in a very strong field, likely helped his cause.

With that said, I admire Caluza, he has been very classy and respectful through the whole thing. Bulanghui should have followed his example.

22. twicken

twicken New Member

I think there is two reasons why Michael has been has been named before nationals

A. The main sponsor of the PSU is SM malls which owns the ice rinks in the country, and having a skater qualify for the Olympics draws more people to the sport which is good for business

B. So Michael will get enough attention and help him gain sponsorship and especially government support which as far as I know he doesn't get. Which is ridiculous for any country to have an Olympic athlete and not give him/her financial backing.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I assume you mean "homegrown" skater. Do you know if Martinez plans to compete at PHI Nationals this weekend?

SM Skating also supports/sponsors Martinez re-posting these links from earlier in this thread: http://jeepneymanilaph.wordpress.co...-top-filipino-figure-skater-michael-martinez/ and http://enjoyingwonderfulworld.blogspot.com/2013/05/sm-ice-skating-supports-top-filipino.html

The Philippine government's financial support of their Olympic athletes is probably not a priority right now, particularly in light of the recent hurricane disaster in the country.

ETA that @JessicaCalalang tweeted about a fundraiser organized by PHI international competitor Maverick Eguia who's currently based in southern California:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  24. twicken

twicken New Member

Not all is well in the Men's competition either

When I read Caluza's tweet yesterday:

"Don't ever be afraid to lose. There is more respect to actually perform or attempt a task than to just win. It builds great character.Truth!
    "

I thought he meant he was sick and still competed anyways and he was just being proud of himself but actually it seems like a diss to Martinez who had withdrawn because of an inflamed tendons. Well Martinez' mom didn't take it lightly, she posted on her Facebook page which was shared to Martinez Facebook as well

"I apologize to all the friends of my son, Michael Martinez , who couldn't watch him in MOA yesterday because I forced him to withdraw from the competition. He really wanted to compete & perform for all of you even tho’ he was sick of asthma and had tendinitis. With asthma & swollen knee he attended all practices and pushed himself to the limit, EVEN THO’ HE HAS NOTHING MORE TO PROVE IN THE PHILIPPINES . AND, HE WAS NEVER AFRAID OF COMPETING AGAINST ANY SKATER as Mr. 23 years old is implying otherwise. Mr. 23, my young son is just a junior skater whom I rushed to be in Senior level because we have no more money to fund his skating until age 23 and beyond!! Mr. 23, why do you refuse to acknowledge that you had been skating for 16 years- In my son’s lifetime!!! With your 16 yrs of skating , you should be 1600% better than him ! He won his 3 Int’l Novice gold medals at 11 years old. He was an International junior skater at 13 years old , not a first-time old-aged Junior national competitor at 20! At 14, he competed in the First Youth Winter Olympic Games ! He won the first & only Senior Int’l Gold medal for the Phil. at 15 ! He was 3RD place in the Olympic Qualifying event at age 16 , not a 23-year old dead-bottom 34th place finisher!! My young son can still be in Junior level for the next 2 years & not an end-of-the-line skater who had to transfer federation as a short-cut just to go international, then criticize a sick & Injured home-grown skater ! So please cut the crap! For years I never used my FB & I’m sorry , but I can’t take it when my son is wrongly accused & criticized by his Phil. Teammates."

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Wow...

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Don't ever, ever mess with a Dragon Mom and her family. :lol:

I wouldn't want my mom to defend me in that manner.

27. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Oh snap! Mrs. Martinez is a feisty one, LOL. She had some valid points though and she was rightfully defending her son.

28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm not sure what part of that you think was valid. she sounds like a lunatic.

29. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The first two sentences?

But the rest should have been something like "I've seen comments suggesting that my son WD for other considerations and I can assure you that is not the case. He would never miss a competition without good reason. Michael's skating and record speak for themselves".

30. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:watch: