The rise of the Philippines in figure skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by AlexDSSF, Mar 8, 2013.

1. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Was quite impressed with Christopher Caluza's performances at SLC (watched the event by video). There is a great deal of confidence and performance level energy which tends to be rare. At times he displayed a level of bravado with his upper body which reminded me a bit of Paul Wylie.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's a shame that the judges continue to have zero guts and don't score PCS as it's supposed to be scored. Caluza might lack a quad and a triple axel and he doesn't have consistent triple-triple combinations but his PE/EX, CH and IN are one of the best you can see in skating. He easily deserves 7s if not 8s for those.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Wonderful! Caluza is one of those rare skaters who really feels the music and brings emotion to the equation. He can lift and carry a spectator's soul across the ice (for ex., at the 4:20 mark on the above tape). Oh, if only he had skated like this in the SP at last year's Worlds. I also like Martinez a lot but, IMO, Caluza is the true artiste among the two.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

now that cassar is retired, caluza is my favorite american male skater

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I don't like this music choice for him but he seems to be skating with a lot of speed throughout and there is quite a lot of transitions. Most of the jumps are preceded by some connecting steps. Moves in the field and second step sequence are great. All the steps into the second 2axel - wonderful. Just so much WIN in that program.

7. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Now that the 1 Olympic spot has been officially earned, it'll be interesting to monitor Martinez's and Caluza's form in the weeks leading up to Philippine Nationals (Martinez has JGP Estonia in 2 weeks).

8. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

9. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Is Melissa even bothering to skate for them anymore? What she did lacked class and maturity; no matter how disappointed you are.

10. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

Agree. I'd be surprised if she actually shows up and competes. She doesn't seem to be in the frame of mind to do so anymore and the Phils Fed probably sees her as a loose cannon at this point.

11. NadineWhite

This makes it even more intriguing, never thought she would just not show up or that her federation wouldn't send her, hmmm.

Imho one should always let their skating do the talking, and keep one's mouth shut.

"silence is golden"

*ADMIN: PLEASE REFRAIN FROM USING COLOURED FONTS*

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I wonder whether the fed has the thinking of "Bulanhagui got married, she moved to Korea which isn't exactly a skating hotbed [Yu-Na excepted], so she's not really focused on skating, so let's not bother focusing on her"??

13. twicken

twicken New Member

From Michael Martinez' Facebook:

Thanks everyone for your support and prayers.
    Thank you to the Philippine Skating Union for their continued support .
    Thank you to SM Prime Holdings for their financial support.
    Thank you to all my coaches in the U.S. & Philippines !
    It’s official, I will represent the country in the 2014 Winter Olympics
    In Sochi, Russia !

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  14. NadineWhite

Good for you twicken and the Phillipines, and most especially for Michael! :)

IIRC you were giving us all a glimpse inside Phillipine skating a while back. Good to see you were right. :cool:

15. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I really like Martinez, but it seems a bit strange that they've already picked him to go to Sochi ahead of Caluza even though Caluza beat him in their last three(?) meetings: US Classic, 4CCs, and I think the Philippine nationals. I would have thought they'd wait to see how nationals go.

Maybe part of it is that Martinez is six years younger and so they see it as an investment for the future.

16. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

Yes, and he has potential!!! Great for him and the Philippines :cheer:

17. Sylvia

Why would the PHI federation risk it if they want Martinez to go to Sochi? It's the federation's prerogative to select whoever they want based on whatever criteria they have. Unfortunately, smaller federations often do not publish their selection rules and guidelines for all their athletes and world to see, and in this case, I wonder if the fed. notified Caluza of Martinez's official selection ahead of the publicizing of his Facebook post?

Of course this appears to be the most logical reason (having a consistent triple Axel is another), along with the fact that Martinez was born and grew up in the Philippines. Martinez is very talented and has a lot of potential to develop in the years ahead -- I wish him well in Sochi.

18. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

definitely Fed preference here, Martinez is still very young and maybe they are marketing him as a future star for the Philppines
    not to be mean but maybe they think he has more international look and to be successful than Caluza ?

19. Sylvia

20. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Looks like Caluza is intent on continuing on to Pyeongchang (he'll be 27 in 2018)

From twitter this week:

21. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Martinez just medalled at JGP Tallinn :cheer2: First ever for Phillippines

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  22. NadineWhite

Thanks for the great news, siouxdonym! There's nothing like being out with family on a Friday evening and quickly checking my iPhone to see the latest news. Smile.

23. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

24. triple

triple Member

25. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Well this ended up ugly for her-

26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Wow. It's like the little notice we have to post outside every local competition saying Tonya Harding and a few other people are not permitted on the premises. As if they'd come to a local competition.

27. NadineWhite

"silence is golden"

28. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

I was wondering about the Federations reaction towards her remarks. For her to think they wouldn't respond to her tantrum was naive; they've pulled any chance of her competing for them. Her remarks were childish and immature; she should've taken the high road publicly about it. What credentials is she referring to in her Instagram comments? Finishing 10th at nationals 6 years ago? She makes it seemed like she's just so much better than Pertichetto when in reality you can argue that Bulanhagui has underperformed her entire career.

29. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Yikes! I can see why she was upset about not getting a chance to directly prove herself against Alisson Perticheto, but she hasn't generally had results that are better than Alisson's since switching to represent PHI (her ISU PB scores are a little bit better but came 5-7 years ago when she was representing the U.S. and when there were more elements in both programs). Both had comparable free skate scores at minor international events that didn't count for SB. Her comments were very disrespectful toward Alisson as well as toward the federation's decision.

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i wonder what she was told/promised or what she thought she was told/promised when she changed federations
    maybe nothing and she reacted very poorly
    but i have a feeling she was maybe promised or led to believe things would work out differently