1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The rise of the Philippines in figure skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by AlexDSSF, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Gaby Panlilio competed this past week at ISU World Development Trophy in Kuala Lumpur:

Basic Novice A Girls: 4th Place (34.86)

Currently, Gaby is probably the best 12-and-under singles skater in all of South East Asia.
    Hopefully the Philippine federation finds a way to further her development so that she could make some inroads in Junior Competition within the next 2-4 years.

Spun Silver, ERP and Artistic Skaters like this.
  2. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

I can understand why Chris Caluza is still so upset/bitter about the whole thing. I used to see him practice often at rinks around San Diego (I'm not living there now so I don't know if he still skates). He seemed like a nice, humble guy who worked very hard. Must be so tough to work so hard and burn through so much money to get to a high level, only to have your federation not support you or give you a fair chance, when its something that you've lived for all your life.

Maybe it has something to do with cultural differences too. In America we expect a fair and transparent process for things like Olympic selection (not to say that there's no politics at all), whereas in asian cultures it's more about personal connections and 'face'. Maybe Chris offended someone in the Philippines federation at some point without even knowing it.

Of course it's better for his own happiness if he can just let go. But not all young people at that age can be so zen about these things. It's such a shame too, because he was still on an upward trajectory when he quit. He must feel like he could've still achieved more in this sport if his federation would let him compete and if money wasn't such an issue.

I hope as the phillipines federation matures, it can develop more transparent/consistent rules for international assignments. That would definitely help to avoid future cases like chris and Marissa's. it can't be good for the federation to wage war with half of its top athletes. They might end up like Puerto Rico one day (suspended) due to the lack of high level competitors.

triple likes this.
  3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Caluza's social media sniping about Martinez is neither nice nor humble. He's just more subtle about it than Bulanhagui was, but she deserves a lot of credit for owning up to her mistake and apologizing.

At the time of the Nebelhorn assignment, Martinez was higher in the world standings, had a better PB, and was a few months off of a fifth-place finish at JW (where he finished ahead of some pretty good skaters). It made sense to send a younger, local, more promising skater to the Olympic qualifier, and once he'd qualified a spot, it also made sense to select him. American skaters who choose to represent smaller federations should do so with the understanding that assignments may not be done the same way as in the US and Nationals do not have as much weight.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  4. twicken

twicken New Member

I disagree

I don't get how Caluza didn't get support from the Philippine fed or the comparison to the States? He was sent to 3 World while Martinez was not until this year. Caluza was given a chance to get the olympic spot at worlds and he failed placing last. Martinez won the spot at Nebelhorn fair and square and having higher jump difficulty and total score than Caluza internationally was sent to the Olympics. It made much more sense to send Martinez. Just like it made more sense to send Ashley over Mirai in the States.

Talking about fairness Martinez skated his whole life for the Philippines at that time Caluza just switched federation 2 years before. Melissa let out her grievances towards her federation (something a sort of understand) and has since apologized but Caluza lets out his frustration to fellow skaters and continues to. To me its him that needs to mature!

ERP, triple and BrightSkates like this.
  5. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Filipino skater Martinez bags gold in Triglav competition :

http://sports.inquirer.net/178688/filipino-skater-martinez-bags-gold-in-triglav-competition

11-year-old Pinay places fourth in World Development figure skating :

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...ces-fourth-in-world-develoment-figure-skating

Basic articles with their recent competition results, however, I'm glad to see they are continuing to get recognition by the press. Hopefully it will help build some momentum & encourage more skating.

paskatefan, ERP, Josh78 and 1 other person like this.
  6. ERP

ERP New Member

Seerek, thank you for your kind words about Gaby. Are you from PH?

7. Artistic Skaters

*** Martinez bags gold in Triglav Trophy :

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2015/06/23/1469005/martinez-bags-gold-triglav-trophy

8. Artistic Skaters

Some more news articles about Michael Martinez -

*** Martinez working on new routine, quadruple jump :

http://manilastandardtoday.com/2015/06/26/martinez-working-on-new-routine-quadruple-jump/

*** Michael Martinez eyeing gold when figure skating makes SEA Games debut in 2017 :

http://www.spin.ph/winter-sports/ne...skating-kuala-lumpur-malaysia-winter-Olympics

*** WATCH: Michael Martinez puts on figure skating exhibition :

http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/other-sports/97488-michael-martinez-skating-exhibition

9. Sylvia

Sylvia Preparing for U.S. club comp. season!

Re-posting 2 videos from the Programs/Choreographers thread:
    Martinez skated an exhibition of his new free skate (sounds like the music is all from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet) on Thursday, June 25 at SM Megamall in Ortigas, Metro Manila, Philippines - performance starts right after the 3-minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5aQV45M6Os
    I assume Nikolai Morozov choreographed his programs in New Jersey in May/June.

Another local article on Martinez (typos corrected/bolded in the excerpt by me): http://www.bworldonline.com/content...-for-figure-skater-michael-martinez&id=110808
    Martinez's listed competitions include 2 club competitions in July (Los Angeles Open & Skate Detroit), 1 regular Senior B (Asian Trophy in Bangkok, Aug. 5-8), 3 Challenger Senior B competitions (U.S. Classic, Finlandia Trophy, Golden Spin of Zagreb) and 1 Grand Prix (Cup of China).

Josh78 and Artistic Skaters like this.
  10. Artistic Skaters

Lots of articles about Michael Martinez lately. This one has updates about skates, costumes & even an MRI. :)

*** Martinez sets lofty goals :

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2015/07/04/1473106/martinez-sets-lofty-goals

Sylvia likes this.
  11. Sylvia

feraina likes this.
  12. Artistic Skaters

*** Martinez mulls options after therapy :

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2015/07/12/1476060/martinez-mulls-options-after-therapy

13. Sylvia

Michael Christian Martinez article: http://www.goldenskate.com/2015/09/michael-martinez/
    Excerpts:

Josh78 and Artistic Skaters like this.
  14. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Michael Martinez Finlandia Trophy Results

7th Short Program (65.18)
    9th Long Program (125.36)
    9th Overall (190.54)

He left behind some points with a few pops in the long program, but I think this is about as good as one could hope for Martinez at this point in the season given his limited training time.

I think it would be wise for Martinez to cut back and not do too many Challenger Series events after Cup of China if he's still not above 75-80% by then.

15. Artistic Skaters

Sylvia likes this.
  16. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Interesting that the national championships took place the same week Michael Martinez was at Golden Spin of Zagreb

Summary of Michael Martinez' late fall results:

Cup of China (Grand Prix): 6th (220.36)
    Warsaw Cup (Challenger Series): 4th (206.30)
    Golden Spin of Zagreb (Challenger Series): 7th (202.82)

17. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Michael Christian Martinez - Four Continents Results

Short program
    : 9th
    Long program: 9th
    Overall 9th: (211.59)

I wasn't aware that Peter Kongkasem was Michael's only coach at the moment (Peter competed in both singles and ice dance at the US national level). Michael looking good to make top 24 again this year at Worlds.

Neither Clare Untalan nor Samantha Cabiles had the Four Continents long program technical minimums.

18. Sylvia

Michael Christian Martinez - Worlds & season recap article: http://www.philstar.com/sports/2016/04/17/1573744/martinez-ends-isu-season-high-note

Artistic Skaters likes this.
  19. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

The fact that all of the quotes from the article come from Mother Teresa and not Michael Martinez himself...it doesn't sit well with me to be honest.

And making such a late season coaching change from Kongkasem to Igor Samohin; that's a rather interesting move from a timing perspective (though I tend to agree that a more technical coach is what's needed long-term if Michael's going to have any chance of climbing higher than 19th). I suspect we'll be seeing more and more singles skaters in future move to Ontario, California to seek Samohin's expertise.

20. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Her first name may be Teresa, and she may be his mother, but Mother Teresa she most certainly is not! :p

21. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Somehow I would rather read this evaluation coming from Michael himself rather than his mom. Sigh. But where would skaters be without their skater moms?

22. Artistic Skaters

Obviously most of us would rather read an article that interviews Michael Martinez. But why is it his mother's fault when the journalist Joaquin Henson wrote the lengthy article using only comments from his mother & not seeking comment directly from the athlete via phone, e-mail or other method?

23. Spun Silver

Nobody said that. And how do we know the journalist didn't seek comment directly from the athlete? He probaby tried to get Michael and had to settle for mom (not too many journalists choose parents over athletes). I simply said I would rather hear an athlete's harsh self-evaluation than his parent's harsh evaluation of him. Do you disagree?

24. Artistic Skaters

I don't know that he didn't, but it was the journalist's decision to include only comments from the mother. So I'm not sure why she is being characterized as the overbearing skating mother based on this writer's article, unless she is the news publisher. Most supporters of skaters, whether mother, father or otherwise, are generally amenable to discussing skating & skaters when asked.

25. Spun Silver

I really think you are reading too much into the above comments.

26. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa #Beckywiththebadgrades

I think a lot of people remember her public and quite frankly immature angry rants during the Christopher Caluza/Michael Martinez situation. However, if she's putting a lot on the line for Michael's skating, I can see how she would react that way.