The rise of the Philippines in figure skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by AlexDSSF, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Caluza tweeted this last night:
    I know he faced financial challenges in continuing to compete; I wish him all the best in the next chapter of his life.

2. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks for providing the link to his letter, Zemgirl, much appreciated. :)^)

It sounds very sad, especially near the end wherein he states his life is spiraling out of control and he's suffering from a deep depression. :( I pray for him and wish him the very best. It's good that he recognizes where he's at emotionally & mentally and is doing something about it. In my humble opinion God has something special for him in his journey down here on Earth. :saint: Taking time off and traveling the world doing shows sounds absolutely FABULOUS! :)

3. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Definitely a few passive-aggressive digs in there. Also last year during the Olympics he sent out a few passive-aggressive tweets while Martinez was on the ice. A little reminiscent of the Melissa Bulanhagui debacle. It's like these skaters think that their country hopping idea (and the expense associated) entitles them to the Olympic/international assignments and then when someone else has the same idea... well, how dare they!

Josh78 likes this.
  4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Martinez hasn't country-hopped. He was born and grew up in the Philippines and has never represented another Federation.

And Bulanhagui's rival, Alisson Pertichetto, didn't really country-hop either. Although she was born in Switzerland and apparently grew up there, she has never represented Switzerland in international competition, only the Philippines.

5. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, Chris never country hopped either. He never represented the USA in international competitions-- only the Philippines, so his intention was always clear.

6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

He skated at Regionals/Sectionals in the U.S. for a long while (did he make it to Nationals?) before deciding he would have a better chance to compete internationally representing the Philippines. It's more like country shopping than hopping, I guess.

7. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

The competitive landscape the year Christopher Caluza started representing Philippines (2011) was quite different. A 14 year old Michael Martinez had only 1 prior competition on the JGP (2010 JGP Japan) and Maverick Eguia's only senior competition the prior season was the 2011 Asian Winter Games (12th). Maybe this was a case of underestimating how much Martinez would progress in 3 seasons?

8. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

However, if Chris could've stick it out, Martinez might manage to get the Philippines two spots at WC next year. But it would mean almost two years of no intl comps.
    I think it's short sighted of the federation. If Martinez burns our due to injury or something, suddenly the Philippines will go from two senior men to none.

Messalina likes this.
  9. twicken

twicken New Member

I think Michael making the top 12 at worlds will be slim to be honest. Michael will probably be sent to worlds and not Chris and Caluza probably thinks its not worth the time and money the be the feds 2nd choice.

10. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

After personal bests at Warsaw Cup two weeks ago (silver behind Alexander Petrov), Michael Martinez is scheduled for Golden Spin of Zagreb this week. Podium is not out the question, but he'll need to be on his game to place above skaters like Ivan Righini, Grant Hochstein and Konstantin Menshov. Will be a pretty good gauge to see if Martinez is on track to improve on Christopher Caluza's 19th place at 2014 Worlds later in the season (right now, his season's best would have him placing around 17th for 2015 Worlds).

Josh78 and kwanfan1818 like this.
  11. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Just came from the K&C a few minutes ago and was very impressed to see Michael's name in the top 4 (after the SP). :smokin: That's an awesome placement considering some of the big guns there (aka Menshov, Ten, et al).