The resturant where you work for food...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Buzz, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There is a resturant in Spain called La Trobada, in the town of Terrassa near Barcelona where the unemployed work but are not paid, instead they eat for free. I think it is a neat idea although it does not sound like it will last long since it s running at a loss. Spain's unemployment rate is about 27% which sounds like a nightmare scenario for job seekers. I love this story and wish the resturant lots of success.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22916739
  2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

So how are the unemployed supposed to earn money to pay rents, bills, etc. when they're working at the restaurant for free in exchange for food ?
  3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The unemployment rate is over 25%. There is nothing they can do to earn money to pay bills. At least this way, they get to eat...
  4. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

At first, I thought it sounds like exploitation. It reminds me of a segment of the Daily Show where a company exploits homeless people to hold the company's advertisement and only pay them $2 (or some other really low amount) an hour. How many hours of work for how much food? :shuffle:

After watching the clip, this sounds more like a charity where customers who have no money, "pay" the restaurant by working for a couple of hours?
  5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That sounds very nice but I don't see how it could last. Operating at a loss is right. They aren't pulling in any money. Maybe some people will read that article and send in some donations? Unfortunately, with the entire country in such poor condition it will be hard to get donations from within so they will probably need a lot of International donations and I am sure those come in a lot less often. I have wanted to go to Spain for a long time, the pictures are so jaw droppingly beautiful. We plan on going to Europe within a year but I don't think Spain will be a part of this trip but I really hope to make it back to see Spain.