The Poptart Tragedy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by iloveemoticons, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

Actually, it can work that way, depending on how low it drops. (and how quickly)

My sister is diabetic and was at work when it hit her. She could tell she was falling but has no real memory of exactly what happened. Her co-worker found her on the floor. It took her a day to start feeling normal again.

I also had a brother who was diabetic. Once he blacked out behind the wheel of his car in rush hour traffic. Took out a concrete bus bench and hit the corner of a building. I also watched him have a seizure suddenly because of a drop in his blood sugar. It was terrifying to watch.

Ultimately it was a low blood sugar that took him from us. He was found on the floor in a coma and lasted 19 days in a vegetative state before we had to make the decision to remove all support. He passed away within 36 hours after that.

That being said, I did get the joke.

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I didn't think the youtube video was funny because they were overdoing the joke, but the text itself is funny. Think of it as an overdramatic soap opera (in the style of Korean soaps) where outrageous emotional events force viewers to suspend their disbelief while using horrific slang popularized on the internet.

Actually, I think you can categorize this as satire, and we know how difficult satire can be for some people. I have a few people in my FB friends list who do in-fact type similarly to that or "share" overly dramatic stories thinking it's something truly deep or sad when it's really just ridiculous.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I always can feel it when my bloogsugar begins to drop (when it hits around 70) and in my 14 years as a type-1 diabetic have never passed out. Sometimes I forget that other people don't have that same sensitivity and therefore it can be much more dangerous for them. Guess this is just a reminder that, when it comes to this disease, I do have that to be thankful for.

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

What's with the personal attack? In what way did you construe any statement of mine on this thread as being "I'm-too-intellectual"? I admitted to watching Chelsea, hardly an intellectual endeavor. No need to be rude, iloveemoticons. Keep it klassy.

5. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

You are fun.

skatemomaz, DaveRocks, Badams and 3 others like this.
  6. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I am.

7. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Or not.