The Pledge....should it be said at Sporting Events?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FSWer, Dec 2, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Ok...there has been a lot of talk about this on the News and Radio. So I thought I'd take a servey about it here. Do you think the Pledge of Alengence (sorry,I can't spell it without looking at it) should be said or recited at Sporting Events along with our National Anthem?

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

No. I think it is definitely appropriate at government meetings and such, but not at a sporting event. The anthem(s) are enough, IMO.

3. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I don't know of any sporting events where The Pledge of Allegiance is spoken...I don't think it's necessary. The Anthems, especially at an international sporting event, are fine.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

ITA with the rest. A national anthem is appropriate but the Pledge of Allegiance is not. Not everyone in attendance has to pledge allegiance to the USA- they could be from different countries- but it is easy to show respect to a national anthem of any country, without any allegiance. When a Canadian sporting team visits (e.g. for an NBA or NHL game) we all show respect to their national anthem, along with ours.

At other international sporting events (Olympics/world championships in various events) also it seems appropriate to recognize the teams from different countries through their national anthems.

I have not seen any sporting event where the pledge is recited.

As a side note, in many Toastmasters clubs in the USA (I belong to a couple of those clubs) the pledge of allegiance is recited at the start of the meeting. I have seen even some non-US citizens say it along with the rest of the members, although they are not required to. However, I think the pledge should be said only if a person actually has allegiance to the USA (I don't know if other countries have something similar; India does not).

5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

6. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

No, no, and no.

7. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I don't know,I do know if they did,I wouldn't have a problem with it.If someone is from another country and doesn't want to pledge to the USA,they don't have to.As long as they do the National Anthem,I'm cool.Hopefully sung properly.

8. feetwerk

feetwerk New Member

I haven't figured out the neccesity for national anthems yet. I mean, really, what does a national anthem or a pledge of allegiance have to do with sports? Other than political or jingoist reasons?

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Not all athletes on American professional sports teams are Americans. Non-Americans should not be forced to pledge allegiance to the US at a sports game. In other circumstances, yes, like if they were becoming US citizens or some other legal/formal occasion, but this IMHO is not one of those circumstances.

I think it's OK to have the national anthem(s) of whatever countries the teams represent, and people who are not citizens of the country whose anthem is being performed can stand respectfully and quietly during the performance.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think our National Anthem is long enough and just drags, no need to also recite the Pledge.

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I'm with feetwerk. I don't even understand why the National Anthem is sung/played at sporting events. It even gets played prior to our rink's dinky Basic Skills competitions. Does anyone know how this tradition got started?

12. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

According to this blog it was started at a baseball game. No idea if it is accurate, but it sounds good.

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

No. I stopped saying the pledge in high school (I stood but wouldn't say it) after I learned that "under God" was inserted as an anti-communism stance in the 1950s. Never got in trouble for it.

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

15. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I've never heard the pledge at any sporting event, and it should remain that way.

16. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

As did I. Also seeing what was happening in the Southern states in the 60s told me there was not “justice for all.” If I have pledge allegiance to something, I would prefer the U. S. Constitution.
    And no, the pledge does not belong at sporting events.

17. JAF

JAF Well-Known Member

Hmm, A War on The Pledge, I'm e-mailing Faux News.
    Only Faux can combat this unpatriotic dis. :lol:

18. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Not so fast there, Swifty. They’ve still got the War on Christmas to wage first. ;)