The Official FSU New Year's Resolutions Thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I read Michael Pollan's Food Rules, and re-read parts of The Omnivore's Dilemma, so for a host of reasons from health to environmental concerns, I've decided to try having three meatless days a week, at least until my birthday in March. I have no interest in becoming a vegetarian by any means, but I also don't eat enough variety in my day-to-day diet, and the reason isn't even because I'm a picky eater--it's out of habit and convenience.

2. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Good idea! I read 'In Defense of Food' and I really inspired me to eat better.

My resolutions (which are not really resolutions, just goals that I happen to be working on right now):

1. Take ballet classes. I've already signed up and hope to start next week.
    2. Work on my side splits. I'm already close to my forward splits even though I'm a massive couch potato and haven't worked on them at all since high school, but I've never had my side splits, even when I was younger, so I'm not sure that I'll ever have them completely.
    3. Fix my really bad anterior pelvic tilt. The ballet will help with that.
    4. Eat a mostly vegan/vegetarian diet. I don't plan to become completely vegan or vegetarian because I would like to reserve the right to have meat every so often, on special occasions. For example, I had biscuits and sausage gravy for Christmas. :swoon:
    5. Practice mindfullness.
    6. Be nicer to people. I've already started this one, but I hope to get better at it so that it eventually becomes automatic instead of being work.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  3. ElizabethAnne

ElizabethAnne Member

1. Get my will updated.
    2. Stop colouring my hair (somehow without having to shave it down to 1/2 inch).
    3. Start constructing a family tree with all the stuff I have collected.
    4. Have a nice vacation somewhere.
    5. Plant out all my baby trees.

nerdycool and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Start the vegan diet, or an adaptation thereof. Maybe go into it gradually with some lean meat or eggs at first. I visit my doc for annual physical next Friday, and we will work it out. DEFINITELY get my body in better order. I've been collecting recipes, looking up recipes online, etc. I'm really psyched! I actually had to eat at McDonalds yesterday-no choice or starve-and the idea revolted me. (I don't do salads.)

5. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Get relaxed and do whatever I really want to do even when my nature of anxiety tries to stop.

6. GaPeach

GaPeach New Member

1. Unplug from technology one day a week.
    2. Read more about Autism.
    3. Try something new once a month.
    4. Exercise 5 days a week.

7. JumpinBug

JumpinBug New Member

I'd really like to thin out (hee, typed think out) the amount of "stuff" in my home. My grandmother was somewhat of a hoarder (grew up during depression, so everything had to be kept/not wasted). My mom has some of her tendencies, so I'm doing my best to avoid it. I'm overwhelmed by stuff and feel trapped by it, so I need to start shifting more of it.

There's always weight and health... I haven't felt well the last year, so exercise has completely slacked off. Not okay.

Get digital cable and a PVR. I've had enough of programming VCRs and never being able to find what I thought I taped.

Cut back on iPod time... too much time playing Plants vs. Zombies.

8. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Well, let's see. I think I already accomplished my new year's resolution because as of today, I weigh what I set my goal for. I've lost 33 pounds since my birthday, September 10th. I went from 168 to 135. I'm truly not sure if I'm finished losing weight because my normal weight was 129 when I started gaining weight and now there's the fact that my metabolism kicked in when I changed jobs (the best thing that could have ever happened). I do a lot of walking and physical activity with my new job.

In August, I had given up in believing I could lose the weight. I didn't think it would ever happen and went against what I've always known in my heart which was to never believe in the word, impossible.

So, never believing in the word, impossible, is my New Years resolution.

Lizziebeth and (deleted member) like this.
  9. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

Congratulations. :) That's pretty impressive.

I'm aiming for more time on the elliptical. More walking to the store instead of dropping in on the way home from work. And, sadly, less chocolate. :(

10. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Mazel tov!

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

To socialize more.

12. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

1. To lose weight 11 lbs (5 kg)

2. To walk more often in fresh air

13. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

1. Work hard at my MA
    2. Earn some $$

14. Aimless

Aimless New Member

1. To maintain my weight loss. I lost 35 pounds this year, in a healthy and gradual way--just good diet and exercise. Feel and look like a new woman. Overall health is enormously improved.
    2. To use my slow cooker more.
    3. To combine these two resolutions when and if possible.

nerdycool and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

How exactly are you planning to survive on a vegan diet then? ;)

16. Holley Calmes

Legumes, rice, zukes, squash, potatoes, corn, green beans and their friends, all kinds of fruit, whole grains,,,,,and lots of vegan Indian and Thai dishes.

I'm not on it forever. I'm doing 2 weeks and see how I feel, plus I'm getting my annual physical next week and will talk to the doc. I'm thinking about going vegan during the week and then eating small amounts of meat on the weekends.

17. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

vegan? or vegetarian? or semi-vegeterian? or ovo-lacto-vegeterian?

If you are considering eating small amounts of meat, then technically you would be following a vegetarian like diet, but a real vegetarian diet.

ETA: my nephew in law is a vegan. I found this out because I would fix vegetable dishes - and he wouldn't eat them because they might have a beef broth base

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  18. Holley Calmes

OK, whatever the titles, I'm not eating any meat or dairy for 2 weeks. Then, depending on how I feel, I might eat a little meat or dairy on the weekend and see how that goes. I could honestly give up meat. It's the dairy I mourn...and eggs. I love eggs. Call me what you will.....just call me thinner and hopefully healthier.