The Nobunari Oda Cheer/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aemeraldrainc, Sep 6, 2013.

1. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

HOORAY! For Nobu as commentator!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. irinayunafanatc

irinayunafanatc Member

Reading recently that Takahashi is still feeling pain and it is the main reason he isnt even being considered for the Team Event for Japan makes me even more mad Oda is at home now and not even 1st alternate. Kozuka had one good competition in the last whole year, Nationals this year. Takahashi is still in pain and wont be able to produce his best and might even have to WD or not finish the event. Yet Oda who skated great all year, very good at Nationals, is off the team and not even 1st alternate, in favor of those two. It just isnt fair.

3. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

I am very proud of Nobu for his behaviour when he announced his retirement. It must have been a bitter pill, especially after having such a good season. He is all upbeat and positive, and thinking about how he can continue to make a contribution.

During the 2010 Olympics practice sessions I met some rabid Nobu fans. They presented him with a huge bouquet of roses, which he accepted gratefully. I took photos and sent them to the fans. They were very right to admire Nobu. A true gentleman.

4. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

When I translate his words, I always feel he is classy, using modest and honorific languages in proper occasions when he talks in Japanese. It makes me feel that he is really a man of a respectable family, a descent of Nobunaga Oda. He's a bit different from other young guys.

5. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I sooooooo agree with you!

I'm still not over it... but Nobu's graciousness in retirement and support of the other Japanese skaters is so heartwarming.

6. irinayunafanatc

irinayunafanatc Member

I wonder if Kozuka and Takahashi will miss him though. Arent they good friends of his.

7. rosewood

Interview with Nobu on radio last week.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lG-Sm2qxNM

(my rough translation)
    ---What do you feel now after your retirement?
    Nobu: Mixture of complex feelings, such as being relaxed and emptiness in my heart, sometimes I feel emptiness inside when I remind I used to train very hard at this stage of the season.
    ---What do you do when you feel emptiness?
    Nobu: I spend time with my family. Before I retire it was difficult for me to be relaxed with my family so now I enjoy having good time with them. And also I started working as an assistant coach under my mother. I teach younger skaters now.
    ---Do your sons understand what you're doing at their ages?
    Nobu: My first son is 3 years old and my second son is 1 yo. The older one definitely understands what I'm doing. His boots reached us the day before yesterday, very small one, he's practicing walking in his own boots in our house.
    ---Oh year?
    Nobu: He's going to make a debut on the ice soon.
    ---So he's going to succeed to you just after your retirement.
    Nobu: Well, I made my debut on the ice at the age of 3 too. He says he loves skating. He handles his boots very carefully. I'm looking forward to skating with him very soon.
    ---That sounds nice.
    Nobu: hahaha
    ---You're now 26 years old. General people at the age of 26 don't have many experiences with their jobs. If they failed in entering/graduating from universities, they are around the age of starting their careers as newbies. In contrast, you made up your mind to finish career. What did you think about your retirement?
    Nobu: Hmmmmmmm..... I was coming to my limit considering my age, I was doing very well, iin a very good shape, but considering my age..., younger skaters were rising, I thought I was at the peak of my career.
    ---In the world of figure skating a skater at the age of 26 is a veteran.
    Nobu: Yes, 26 years old skater is considered as a veteran.
    ---Oh, so the 26 years old skater is recognized as an old guy.
    Nobu: I can't complain if someone says so.
    ---At the age of 26? Really?
    ---What about Plushenko-san?
    Nobu: Plushenko-senshu is a legend. He doesn't have any limit. At his age he nails quads. Like "Eh? I have no idea why he makes those jumps." hahaha
    ---He's beyond the matter of age.
    Nobu: Respectful. No other words. He's really really great.
    ---In the figure skating world you finished your career at the age of 26. When did you start thinking about your retirement, or capping your career?
    Nobu: Actually before Vancouver Olympics I had a plan to retire after Vancouver.
    ---Eh? A quad ago?
    Nobu: Yes, a quad ago I thought I was going to leave my life as a competitive skater.
    ---Really? At the age of 22?
    ---why?
    Nobu: I felt competing till Sochi would be too long considering my age. And also I wished to cap my career by doing my best performance in Vancouver Olympics.
    ---You had the boot lace issue.
    Nobu: That experience was very regretful/stressful inside of me, and the regretful/stressful feeling made me continue competing till this season. Now I think that experience was never a bad one(since I continued competing thanks to that experience.)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  8. rosewood

Nobu skated his program in the opening ceremony at a brand new rink yesterday. See the video below. (Hope it's not geoglocked outside of Japan.) :encore:
    http://www.nhk.or.jp/lnews/niigata/1034744781.html?t=1391227777571

I see Nobu on TV/radio/articles frequently these days. He's amusing and polite as always. Daisuke said (around the middle of this month) Nobu was still training and in good shape. Hope he'll be invited to many shows after this season finished, not only in Japan but also around the world. :cheer2:

9. skateboy

10. rosewood

See Nobu's photos on his tweets! He's trying to make Kanako relaxed by showing funny photos, tweeting real time right now. :rofl::rofl:
    https://twitter.com/nobutaro1001

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  11. rosewood

I found the whole program on youtube, his first performance as a pro-skater in the opening event of a new rink in Nigata.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkeRZszQa6U

Nobu is scheduled to visit Sochi as a TV commentator to report the figure skating events. Go Nobu!

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  12. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

OMG, his baby is SO adorable! :)

13. skateboy

Perfect program!

I love and respect Nobu even more now. After the season he had, he has every right to be bitter about not going to the Olympics. But no, he's supporting all his colleagues, just skated lights out for a new ice rink opening in Japan (complete with 4-3!) and has embraced being on the sidelines to act as a commentator for Sochi.

What a guy! :respec::respec:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  14. rosewood

15. skateboy

16. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

17. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

A quad and a triple axel in a show program is pretty amazing.

If this was any indication, it looks as if he will really enjoy the life of a pro skater, and be good at it.

18. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I heard he will perform in the Japanese version of SOI this year. Is that true?

19. rosewood

20. rosewood

According to his twitter Nobu left for Tronto on 25th Feb and now he's back to Japan. Choreographing with Wilson? Maybe?

21. rosewood

Nobu has been on TV in Japan frequently after his retirement. Especially his sense of humor and emotional character are loved by people. His appearances on more entertainment shows than programs related to figure skating are increasing. Happy to see his success on TV.

BTW if you are a Canadian and know him in person, please watch this video. It's kinda short documentary. In it he visits Barrie, Canada to say thank-you and good-bye to people in Canada, who supported him. His retirement was kinda sudden decision so it's his first visit after announcement of his retirement. He's very grateful for the support from people in Canada. If time allowed, he might have seen you and said thank-you and good-bye. ;)
    http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/gSA34oi7XL4/

Last edited: May 4, 2014