The Nobunari Oda Cheer/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aemeraldrainc, Sep 6, 2013.

1. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

:encore: :encore: What a wonderful performance, especially given the short prep time & the new boot.

Have confidence Nobu!

And skater your very best at Japanese Nationals.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Thank you for the interview, rosewood!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
    sooooo happy about his skate and result!!! Gosh, his knees are divine. I have absolute faith he can keep it going through nationals and Olympics. You got this, Nobu. <3

3. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Nobu! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

4. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

I'm a bit addicted to following Nobu's adorable episodes. ;)

via TV Asahi's twitter.
    my rough translation
    Nobu:
    I said I wanted to taste Hi-chu yesterday. But now I want to try Ramen. Since Fukuoka is famous for Ramen. I love Ramen, too.

Ramen in Fukuoka
    http://yokanavi.com/eg/bestdishes/

my rough translation
    At the night of the long program I showed the medal to my kids. They said "Wow, how beautiful!." I used to focus on giving my best performances regardless of the medals. But I felt happy to get a medal when I showed it to my family.

Love, love, love Odaddy!! :cheer::inavoid::encore:

5. rosewood

Sports Navi article published on December 17th
    my rough translation

My life as a skater has been a succession of good lucks.
    An interview with Nobunari Oda Part 2

Nobunari Oda(Kansai University) is thankful for his life as a skater. Such as his mother has been one of his coaches, he has been blessed with the environment which allows him to continue participating in the competitions, and he has been able to be one of the leading skaters. Of course he had some unhappy accidents, but "my life as a skater has been the succession of good lucks," said Oda with gentleness on his face. The reason why he chose 'smile' as his theme of this season was from his wish that he wants to show the appreciation for the people who have supported him by finishing his final season skating with smiles. Japanese men's battle for the spots for Sochi Olympics(in February next year) is the hardest one. As he ended up unsatisfactorily in the last Olympics held in 2010, he might be the one who wants to get the spot the most strongly. "I want to appeal to people not only in Japan but also all over the world that the skater(who made a big mistake) can show a very good performance this time," he declared vigorously in the end of this interview.

Thanks to the young skaters I recovered my hungry spirits.

---What did you feel when you came back after recovering from your injury?
    First of all I felt the happiness with skating in a competition again. And at the same time, I felt uneasy about competing to win the spots for Worlds and Olympics again. But I thought it must be a 'complaining about something most people would love'. I also felt thankful with recovering from the injury.

---What do you think about the difference after recovering from your injury?
    I got to make more detailed schedules of my practice, thinking about how to control everything. Such as, what kind of practice you do when you have pains on a certain part of your body, or how you take care of the part when you have a pain, etc. Those are the good side of the things I've got from the injury.

---Did you feel upset when you ended up 4th in last Nationals?
    I was very regretful rather than upset. I felt that appreciating is not enough to win. To win I have to work. If you want to place 1st, you have to win the place at the expense of other skaters. I realized I lacked those hungry spirits. On that day I dropped my head down in my room at the official hotel. :D However, I was scheduled to the National Athletic Meet within three weeks so I recovered my motivation aiming at winning the competition.

---The rise of young skaters is remarkable recently
    Well, however, thanks to the young skaters I recovered the hungry spirits, like I want to be the winner, I want to win at any cost. I think I was lucky because that loss was not in the final trial for the Olympics.

David has never chosen any wrong music.

---Do you enjoy skating your programs in this season?
    As for the long program I was told to skate with cheerful facial expressions during the step sequence. As for the short program also I was told to skate cheerfully, so I pay attention to show the natural cheerful expressions and smiles even in the practices.

---What made you choose 'smile' as the theme?
    I didn't want to finish my final season pensively. I asked the choreographers to choose the enjoyable musics. I decided this theme because I thought I could do my best with it.

---As for the short program it was choreographed by David Wilson. Did you request him because this is your final season?
    David has supported me since I was a junior skater. So I requested him with appreciation. Lori Nichol choreographed my programs in the season when I recovered from the injury. I've been always satisfied with her choreography so I wished to finish my final season with her program.

---Your short program 'Cotton Club' was choreographed by David Wilson.You won the junior world title in 2005 with his program. So was it a lucky jinx or something to request him again?
    Well, he has never chosen any wrong music. I have an absolute trust in him with his choreography, the whole program. I'm kinda temperamental person, such as I don't go to the rink when I'm reluctant. :D I feel like keeping up with David, including the temper.

photos:
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/all/1314/columnphoto/201312160005-spnavi_1
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/all/1314/columnphoto/201312160005-spnavi_2
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/all/1314/columnphoto/201312160005-spnavi_3

...I'll translate the second half later.

6. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

This is the most motivated I've ever heard Nobu speak. Thanks, rosewood!

7. rosewood

the second half

As for the long program I pay attention not to give up till the end.

---Your long program is 'William Tell Overture. Can you tell me why you chose this music?
    Lori said that it would be easier for me to skate to a music which has a certain character. As for the character William Tell, and the struggle and the conflict between him and his father, "You understand them since you have your family," she said. So those are the reasons.

---William Tell is the hero of Switzerland. What kind of images do you have about him? You are good at playing characters.
    He is a brave man for me. William Tell was a man who fought with courage trying to change his country against the tyranny of Austria. He behaved bravely even in the situation that his son might die. Since he was such a brave man I also try not give up till the end of the program.

---Why do you like to act a character?
    Lori said about me, "When you're skating to a classical music, you do nothing more than skating," and that I interpret nothing. :lol: It's easier for me to act a character for sure. When I skate to a classical music, I have to interpret the music itself. However, when I skate to a music which has a character, I can charm with facial expressions or etc even though I am a bit disconnected to the music. Classical musics are kinda difficult in that sense.

---You often show comical performances. Do you have a strong will to amuse people?
    Yes, I have. I do love to amuse people and make them laugh, not only the audience but also people around me in my daily life.

---Your exhibition number is 'Last Samurai.'
    First of all the reason why I chose the number is that this is my final season. A skater who is fated to Samurai, to greater or lesser extent, plays the 'Last Samurai'.(editor's note: One of Oda's ancestors is Nobunaga Oda, the samurai who lived in the Age of Civil Wars.) I wished it make people interested in this sport and want to see figure skating a bit, even though those people know nothing about our sport. :) If it happens, I feel thankful for it. And also when I skated to a cool music, I got a good response from my fans via letters etc. It's easier for me to skate to a comical one, but I wanted to respond to my fans' request since this is my final season.

---Oda skates to 'Last Samurai.' As I thought, you intended it. :lol:
    Of course. :lol: I expected people pay attention to figure skating and see even gala shows, since this is the Olympic season. I really feel thankful for it. So I chose it.

Knowing hardships as a parent, I feel thankful to her again.

---Your mother is your coach. what kind of person is she?
    When I was a junior high school student, I was in the period of rebelliousness and I resisted her a lot. However, now I have my family and got to know the hardships as a parent. So I feel more thankful to her than before. Since my mental got changed and first of all I trust her as a coach, she is a very important person with whom I can discuss about my skating and other things which I feel uneasy.

---Tell me about the merit and the demerit to have a coach who is your mother.
    The demerit is to be emotional to each other. The merit is she understands me in detail. She understands 100 percent about what I feel hard mentally, and also she knows how to deal with it.

---Do you get emotional still now?
    Yes, I do. I'm kinda short-tempered person. :D For example, she changed my costume a day before NHK Trophy and I was not informed about it at all. I wanted to tell by myself about the design that I wished to be to the designer working at a shop in Shibuya. But my mother decided everything at the shop alone. :duh: Now I understand she wanted to support me by changing my costumes, though. Well, I was able to show a good performance in that costume so I said "It worked well". She answered "So I said before." Then I thought "Oh, your response is not proper." :lol: Well, I think I'm getting over my short-temper after having my family.

---Are there anything else changed after being a father?
    I got to pay attention to other people's children. Or when I eat out in a restaurant, I ask "Would you have another glass of water?" etc. Since I used to be kinda self-centered person, I could't behave as I do now. But now I can pay attention to people around me. Such as when I see a mother with children on the train, I think "Is she OK(standing there)?" I got to think about things from other people's viewpoints.&#12288;So I wonder if I became more gentle than before in that sense.

---How do you get rid of stress other than playing with your sons?
    I enjoy eating in various restaurants. I love eating, it's almost my hobby. Since I love ramen, I went to from one ramen shop to another in Ichijoji, Kyoto the other day. Ichijoji is a town which has many good ramen shops. Of course I don't forget keeping my proper weight. :D

I want to face it with my self confidence.

---You've already announced your retirement after this season. What does Sochi Olympics mean for you?
    I think Sochi is the final biggest stage in my skating life. Although I haven't got the spot, If I get it, I want to make good performances and come back smiling.

---What do you feel looking back your life as a skater, you began skating at the age of seven?
    It's been a succession of good lucks. Such as my mother was a figure skating coach, and also I was blessed with an environment which allowed me to continue skating. As for the competitions, I feel I've been always lucky.

---What was the hardest?
    Day-to-day practices were hard, but I guess I fest the hardest when I was away from skating by injuries.

---What was the happiest?
    When I do every good performance. I always feel "How lucky I am to have been a skater," when it's over.

---Do you have any play after retiring from competitions?
    I've trained at Kansai University Arena since 2007. One of my dreams/goals is to teach skaters who aim at making Olympic teams. other than that, since I wish I'll be active in various fields, I'll challenge various things without turning down the offers as much as possible.

---The battle for the Olympic spots is the hardest ever. Do you have a confidence to win one?
    Yes, I have a confidence. Since I think you can't win, if you don't say "yes." Having confidence and also anxiety, I want to face it believing myself.

---What kind of skating do you want to show, if you make an Sochi team?
    Since I ended up with unsatisfactory performance, I want to appeal that the same skater can show this good performance this time to people not only in Japan but also all over the world.

---Are you aiming at a medal?
    Yes, aiming at a medal I have worked to improve my jumps. If I can show 100% clean performances, I feel I'll achieve close to the medal. So first of all I'll try my best to show my best performances there.

photos:
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/all/1314/columnphoto/201312160005-spnavi_4
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/all/1314/columnphoto/201312160005-spnavi_5
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/all/1314/columnphoto/201312160005-spnavi_6

Go get a spot for Olympics, Nobu. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

8. skateboy

Amen to that! Thanks for the terrific translation, rosewood.

9. rosewood

My pleasure. :)

10. inskate

inskate Active Member

Thanks a lot, rosewood! What a great interview :)

Nobu and Mao should run a cooking TV show someday, their interviews always make me hungry because they go :inavoid: :swoon: about food all the time ;)

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

For Japanese men, I only wished for two to make it to the Olympics: Oda and then Kozuka.

Merry Christmas, everybody.

:(

12. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

(((PeterG))) (((Oda))) (((all his fans)))

13. skateboy

Right with you, PeterG. I'm absolutely crushed by Oda not making the team. In fact, I can't remember when I've been this upset by a FS decision/result. :wuzrobbed

14. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

As much as I like Yuzuru, and Machida, I was hoping that the Olympic/World team would be Dai, Taka, & Nobu! I'm crushed! Wish there were more spots for the incredible Japanese men.

15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I would have loved to see those 3 on another major team together, but after the Grand Prix final everyone had to know there was no chance whatsoever of Hanyu not making the team. Even had he come 12th at Nationals he would have bene placed on the team. I also feel happy for Machida to finally make an Olympic/World team after trying so long. Still his skating does not touch me the way Kozuka's can we skates well, or wow me like Oda's can when he skates well.

I wish Oda would have been sent to Worlds atleast in place of Dai, even if he didnt get picked for the Olympics. He would have had a real shot at that elusive World medal this year. With Worlds in Japan and some skaters not going/not at their best from emotional and physical fatigue from the Games (typical post Olympics) and the way he is skating this year, I think he could have even won gold there.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I will miss watching Oda's 'smooth as butter' landings on jumps

17. judgejudy27

I think he had the best combination of jumping ability and basic skating of anyone today, atleast until Hanyu came along. He is a much better jumper than Chan, especialy factoring in Chans massive consistency issues; and he is a much better basic skater than the other strong jumpers like Fernandez, Reynolds (who doesnt even have quality jumps, just hard ones), Aaron, etc...Kozuka also has excellent basics and very strong jumps when he does them, but is extremely inconsistent.

18. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Oh, Nobunari, I will miss seeing you're skating :wuzrobbed: Thank you for some great moments this year.

19. inskate

inskate Active Member

I just noticed vrnoog2 graciously shared this video:

Nobunari Oda "Once Upon a Time in the West" EX - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9U7-QyHQo
    This is a program Nobunari choreographed for himself and performed only once, at Prince Ice World show. Beautiful, peaceful program, feels almost like a lullaby. Lovely edgework thorough. Very Nobunari-esque, and I hope we'll get to see some more of his choreo in his future show programs and skated by his students :)

20. lala

lala Well-Known Member

:respec:

21. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

You can tell his teammates all love him. Especialy Kozuka, Daisuke, Miki, Akiko, and Mao, who have been with him for years. I wonder if he will keep in touch with them after his retirement.

22. rosewood

23. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

That was a lovely interview. Oda is a class act and I am happy that he will continue to be involved in the skating world.
    Thank you for the translation rosewood.

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I know this is discussed in other threads, but they are quite long and sometimes confusing with people offering personal opinions instead of facts. But since this is an Oda cheer thread, I don't think I'm off-topic. I mean this question in a strictly factual way, it's not an emotional query. So...why is Oda not going to the Olympics? It's my understanding that whoever won the GPF was immediately on the Olympic team. (Congrats, Hanyu!) The second spot was for who won the Japanese nationals. As that was again Hanyu, we have two open spots. Machida had two great grand prix events, goofed at the GPF (not athletically, but strategically, which is not a big problem compared to not being able to do what is necessarily physically) and came in second at nationals. So I understand why he was chosen. So the third spot is what I am wondering about...

Kozuka had a bad GP season, didn't make the GPF but did win a bronze at Nationals. Not enough to make the Olympics.

Takahashi had a good GP season, made the final but was unable to compete there due to injury. An injured skater is not someone you want to go to the Olympics, right? And at nationals, where he could show the injury was behind him...he placed fifth. I'm not sure he'll be ready for the Olympics, but I sure hope so.

That leaves Oda. As good a season as Takahashi, a virtual tie. With the withdrawal, Oda goes to the GPF and wins a bronze, showing he's one of the top skaters out there now. He underperforms at nationals, but he's healthy and has shown he's got what it takes to perform at Sochi.

So...if I was the Japanese skating federation, I would have picked Oda and made Takahashi the alternate - if his injury is 100% behind him. If not, then Kozuka is the alternate. Leaving Dai off the team and alternate spot. :( So what's in the JSF rules that put not only Takahashi ahead of Oda, but put Kozuka in the alternate spot instead of Oda? After the GPF, it was not 100% based on Nationals, otherwise Kozuka would be going to Sochi. So what am I missing? :confused:

25. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

Basically, the criteria system basically downplays Oda's accomplishments this year by design. Not sure if intentional, but it is what it is.

Here's the criteria again.
    1.) Japanese champion
    2.) 2nd or 3rd at Nationals/highest ranking GPF medalist
    3.) 2nd or 3rd at Nationals/Top 3 World Ranking/Top 3 Season's Best.

As you pointed out Hanyu fulfills criteria one and 2(b) (by winning GPF). Machida gets No. 2 spot by ranking 2nd at Nationals.

However it's criteria 3 that basically screws Oda and gives Takahashi the edge.

Kozuka gets third but doesn't meet any of the other criteria in No. 3.

Takahashi however is No. 2 among the Japanese Men in WR and SB.

The top 3 WR as of Japanese Nationals was
    1.) Yuzuru (No. 1)
    2.) Takahashi (No. 3)
    3.) Machida (No. 6)
    ---
    Oda is 10th.

Here's the interesting thing...if they counted SEASON's World Ranking, here is what you got:
    1.) Hanyu 1410
    2.) Oda 1258
    3.) Machida 1233
    15.) Takahashi 692
    25.) Kozuka 560.

Basically Oda wasn't going to be anywhere near the overall World Ranking because he essentially missed two post-GP seasons. He was injured in the second half of 2011-2012 and then he ranked 4th in 2012-2013 and did not send him to 4CC. He has ZERO points for those two ISU championship categories. Machida and Takahashi have, 312 and 1,465 points respectively.

Top Season's Best in 2013-2014 season
    2.) Hanyu (293.25, GPF)
    3.) Takahashi (268.31 NHK Trophy)
    4.) Machida (265.38 Skate America)
    --
    Oda is 5th (4th among the Japanese men) with 262.98 from Nebelhorn.

So basically despite three 170+ performances in the FS and despite medaling at every event at the GPF (which neither Takahashi or Kozuka did), none of that mattered because Oda basically ranked poorly in certain number crunching scenarios.

However one could argue that Oda should had been in consideration under criteria No. 2b. Since Hanyu already got the spot under criteria one, in theory as the bronze medalist at GPF, Oda should had been considered there. However that is not how JSF interpreted the criteria.

Now people are arguing that "Takahashi WD that's why Oda got to go." Here's what I say to that: Takahashi was able to go because he won NHK Trophy. Takahashi and Oda actually had the same amount of GP points (24) but Takahashi won the tie breaker due to winning NHK Trophy. Under a different judging panel, Oda could had won NHK Trophy and get the GPF spot instead. Had he been at Cup of China, he probably would had won there and get the GPF spot on his own.

That win gave Takahashi not only a GPF spot, but also an edge in SB, which ultimately pushed Oda out. In essence, doing well at that one key event proved more valuable for Takahashi than Oda doing well over three international events.

To be clear I'm not blaming this on Takahashi. That's just how everything worked out.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Thanks so much for that. I'm still sad. I wish Oda hadn't retired right away. I would loved to have seen him win a gold medal at 4CC. And do the Olympics allow a second alternate in case of potential problems with the three assigned to the Olympics (and/or maybe the first alternate)? Takahashi is retiring after the Olympics, right? What if Hanyu were to win Olympic gold and retire? Oda could have gone to Worlds then, right? :(

27. judgejudy27

I dont think they could have made the critiera to favor or go against a certain skater beforehand. It would be way too complicated and impossible to guess how everyone would skate in each given event, and how the breakdown would come out. What I do wonder is knowing the critiera and how Takahashi was likely to skate at Nationals, if Oda was really marked fairly at Nationals, knowing that it would be hard to leave him off the team with a top 3 finish (and Takahashi doing poorly at Nationals).

28. rosewood

It seems Nobu started working as an assistant coach under his mother.
    my rough translation
    i started working as an assistant coach under my mother. Together with my nephew in the photo. He was unwilling to be in the photo but I asked/forced him. :D I'll do my best!

Best wishes for his future!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

...and this present from his fan is so impressive :eek::rofl:
    my rough translation
    Thank you very much for the presents etc. The impressive one among them...Alien? No, it's Nobunari.

this photo must be taken when he walked out from the rink after the announcement of his retirement afte the finale of the gala show, and the message was posted on twitter the day after the retirement
    my rough translation
    I retired from the competitions yesterday. In the end of my life as a competitive skater lots of people cerebrated my retirement. My life as a competitive skater was a really happy one. I truly appreciate for the people who supported me and figure skating fans. From now on I'll do my best aiming at being a person who can support other people.

Nobu must be a coach with impressive tears in the kiss and cry. :rollin:
    Thank you very much for your wonderful skating.:wuzrobbed:cheer2:

ETA:
    Can you see "you can move on" on his nephew's back in the first photo? I assume he wanted to show the words. ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  29. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

Jason Brown talks about competing with Nobunari at Nebelhorn Trophy in his latest blog for Ice Network: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/12/29/66234032/jason-the-dream-browns-life-as-a-senior-begins

30. rosewood

Re-posting from the 4CC thread in K'nC.

Nobu tweeted this during 4CC, for Mura, maybe? (Nobu announced his retirement earlier than planned since he wanted to give the spot for 4CC to a younger skater(=Mura).
    https://twitter.com/nobutaro1001/status/426716456944820224
    (my rough translation)
    As for Nobu's new challenge, he works as a TV commentator during Sochi Olympics.

article http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/20140124/oth14012411300016-n1.html
    photo http://www.sanspo.com/geino/photos/20140124/oth14012411300016-p1.html
    (my rough translation)
    :lol: :cheer2: