The Nobunari Oda Cheer/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aemeraldrainc, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

Oda is a great skater, and sometimes his headcasiness got exaggerated because he was compared against a supertalented field in Japan. In a less competitive country he would be considered a rock.
    Despite his occasional inability to count, I wish he'd get his federation's support a bit more. Other than 2010, he has managed top 7 in four worlds. In my opinion he may not always be a close podium contender but always a dark horse and can be counted on to do a decent amount of jumps

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I agree, but I think it will boil down to how he does the rest of this fall before Nationals. If he can turn out consistent skates the way he has so far, he could be back in the JSF's favor. (Hope... hope...) :swoon:

3. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Definitely. Hope, hope...It would make me the happiest to see Oda do well and possibly win a World medal or who knows, even an Olympic medal...You never know. It would be a dream come true.

4. aemeraldrainc

5. skateboy

From your lips to the skategods' ears!

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I like Nobu, and particularly loved his Totentanz sp & Chaplin lp. What a shame during the Worlds when things didn't go well for him when he did Totentanz (Worlds 2010?)! As a result, he didn't make the cut for the free skate, & we didn't get to see him skate his wonderful Chaplin program. I hope he has a great season and has a chance to compete @ the Olympic/Worlds.

7. aemeraldrainc

http://fsnews.ru/forums-m-posts-id-16370.html

OMG!!! I was literally crossing my fingers and holding my breath for the beginning of the program. I'm loving this program!
    The Brit Eurosport guys seem to really like him! Go NOBU!! GO NOBU!!! (I wonder what his real nickname is. hehe.)

8. aemeraldrainc

:p :cheer2:

9. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Congrats to Oda. Two fantastic skates at Nebelhorn. Can someone ask him what is his secret of looking more like a boy than a father? I need that recipe!:cool:

10. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

WOW! The SP and LP results from Nebelhorn Trophy really show what tremendous potential Nobunari Oda has and there's even more room for scoring potential in the LP given that he omitted a permissible 3-jump combination and tripled his second 4toe attempt. I think it is definitely possible for him to win an Olympic and World medal if he can maintain or better this level of skating and keep his head together in competition. I love the mood and character of his SP and I think he does best with this type of music where he can show his cute side (LOVE his smile!) and lighthearted personality. His Charlie Chaplin LP from 2010 likewise was a terrific vehicle for him and the type of mood that really allows him to shine. GO ODA! Cheering for you to do your best! :cheer2: It is so unfair that Japan can only field 3 male skaters given the talent of their roster with Takahashi, Hanyu, Kozuka, Oda, Mura, and Machida.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  11. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I don't usually post in cheer threads, but super happy for Nobu just now. :) So glad to see him back on track and fingers crossed he does as well on the GP and makes the Final. That would go a long way towards gaining more favor from the JSF.

12. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

OMG he's all kinds of awesome in NT:swoon: He is soooooo gonna give a bloodbath at Japanese Nats!

13. lala

lala Well-Known Member

The Japanese Nats will be very exciting! Congrats to Nobu!!!!

14. aemeraldrainc

15. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Would love to see Nobu in Sochi.

16. inskate

inskate Active Member

Here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkfzOPCFS88

I hope Chris & Nicky didn't jinx Nobu with their commentary :scream:

Yes, but he plans to remain involved with figure skating as a coach. Here's an excerpt from his interview that was posted a few months ago:

(The interview was posted on Tumblr, unfortunately the link seems to be dead now.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

It's going to be a dog fight for the 3 mens spots for Japan. So much talent! Oda had looked like a potential world champion earlier. If he is making a comeback this late in his career, all the best to him.

18. vocal

vocal New Member

That freeskate was fantastic!! Go Nobunari! Go for Sochi.

19. aemeraldrainc

Thank you!! I know!! But it's still nice to hear....
    Thanks for the interview excerpt. Nice to hear him talk!

20. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

22. aemeraldrainc

23. lala

lala Well-Known Member

24. aemeraldrainc

25. skateboy

26. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Awww Love him and his family!! Thanks for sharing this vid.

ETA:
    I translated into English, although my English is kinda mess. Hopefully it can give you the main idea.

3:34
    Mayu(his wife): I say "take it easy" or "rainy days never stay" to him. I'll do my best to support him, hoping he recovers fully, even better than the condition before he injured.

Mayu(to the baby son): Your Dad should challange a bit longer.

Nobu(to the baby son): Say "good luck"!

Nobu: Hopefully my kids see and remember my skating, although they might be still too young.

4:29
    Nobu: In the last Olympics it was the complication of my own skating career, however in this Olympic season I'm with the thoughts of all my family. I want to show good performances, since I can express our(me and my family's) thoughts only by skating.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  27. aemeraldrainc

Your English is great. Thank you, rosewood! You're awesome!

28. aemeraldrainc

29. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Oda did great and I really hope he make the Olympic team! He should have at least a competition that he gets a medal with what he did----Olympic or world. Almost everybody else didn't win because they didn't do enough, Oda because he did too much:).

So I hope Oda stop counting his jumps. If he missed anything, just stick to the plan and it would end up better than trying to make it up.

My advice: Train and do it when it counts, big competitions!

30. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Oda did great and I really hope he make the Olympic team! He should have at least a competition that he gets a medal with what he did----Olympic or world. Almost everybody else didn't win because they didn't do enough, Oda because he did too much:).

So I hope Oda stop counting his jumps. If he missed anything, just stick to the plan and it would end up better than trying to make it up.

My advice: Train and do it when it counts, big competitions!