The Next Iron Chef: Redemption (aka The Return of the Rejected All-Star Chefs)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Nov 3, 2012.

1. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I can't imagine Appelman as an Iron Chef. His personality is just not made for TV. Plus he always seems kind of, um, disturbed and not quite stable.

I didn't watch the season in which Mehta first competed, but I recall something was said at the start of this season about Mehta being "the bad guy" on his first season. I don't care - I like him. Unlike Appelman, he is intense, but serene.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I can't imagine either Appelman or Marcel as an Iron Chef.
    Neither seem to have the range of knowledge, or temperament needed for the job.

I will miss Chef Mehta.

3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Marcel is bright but seems incapable of truly acting graciously whether he wins or loses---maybe they want that cockiness though. I'm still rooting for Alex but the last two weeks shows me that they are not afraid to send great chefs packing.

I had a problem with the challenge this week: I don't watch Iron Chef regularly but I understand it is one ingredient prepared with several variations. In competition the chefs are able to pick their complementary ingredients and I don't think you would see iron chef ever selecting peppermint to go with calimari (for example.) Why not give them one ingredient and then let them select another ingredient to show fusion rather than providing combinations you would never see in competition?

4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

doublepost

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Vigneron may be the bookend to the Next Food Network Star guy: young, interested in the science, original for the audience, etc. He isn't nearly as personable, though.

6. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

There were a few times last night I wanted to punch Marcel in the nads. I'm sure the guy can cook but why would Food Network want someone so unlikeable to be the main focus of a show?? Cocky little bastard needs to be taken down a few thousand notches. His mysogynistic pal Appleman can vanish with him as far as I'm concerned.

Who knew that I'd miss the relative civility of Top Chef Masters after watching this show??

7. skatesindreams

^^^
    This is why I don't think either of them will be the next Iron Chef.
    The producers won't want either one of them to represent the brand/Food Network.

8. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Watch the final be Vigneron vs. Appelman! :lol:

9. duane

duane New Member

Those rooting for Marcel (me being one) or Appleman beg to differ.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The Iron Chef format, though, doesn't make the Iron Chef the main focus of the show. The challenger is equally, if not more, central, and the camera people spend a lot of time filming the sous chefs working. The most screen time the IC gets is when he or she presents the plates to the judges and gives an intro.

11. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite. I never really liked her until she was on this show.

I think that there are a lot of people who can't stand him. Like me. I watch despite his presence. I would never watch an episode of Iron Chef if he were on the episode. He's obnoxious and I think he's more interested in molecular gastronomy than in tasty food. His cooking became boring to me a long time ago.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I don't watch Iron Chef for the Iron Chefs very often: I'm usually watching and rooting for the contestants anyway.

They might be able to spin a badass Iron Chef, one that people root against.

13. skatesindreams

Ding! Ding! Ding!

14. duane

duane New Member

If someone as arrogant and conceited as elitist, know-it-all Zakarian can win, anyone can.

Funny, but I've never watch a complete episode of Iron Chef America, tho I used to watch the original IC religiously.

15. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Same here...I even have the book. :shuffle:

16. duane

duane New Member

Per the reviews, the book sounds cool...more of a behind-the-scenes look than a cookbook.

17. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

It has a run-down of all the episodes, the challengers, The Iron Chefs, and the ingredient(s). Interviews with various people involved. Interesting read for the die-hard fan of the Original IC.

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Will it be Chef A or Chef A? Pins and needles time...

19. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Alex and Amanda are two of my favorites from Chopped, I will be happy to see either of them take it this time :)

20. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My favorite won but I would have been happy either way and was sorry to see Elizabeth F. out of the competition so early. I would love to see all three of these women as iron chefs.

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

How far behind is Canada? I thought it was one week, and that the US saw one of the three eliminated tonight, an episode we'll see in Canada tomorrow night. Did the US see the Kitchen Stadium final tonight?

I'm still sad about Faulkner (and Takashi Yagihashi on Top Chef Masters).

22. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I suspect Freitag was stunned but she is so gracious that we may never know her true feelings. I say this supporting Alex fully but it felt like it was Freitag's to lose as she seemed to be sailing along to the end. I did think one of the judges made a good point about the "melding" ability Alex showed to them. And that dessert looked delicious.

24. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I really like both Amanda and Alex, so I was happy with either one winning.

Amanda is just so perky! Haha.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Thank you, Allstate -- I didn't realize it was a single show with both phases.

26. skatesindreams

I'm very pleased for Alex!
    I'm looking forward to watching her as an Iron Chef.

This time, the judges chose the chef with the best "execution"/tasting dishes.
    They've chosen "creativity" in the past.

It must have been a very close, difficult decision.
    I would have been happy with either one of them as the winner.

27. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I felt bad for Amanda but like Alex too. Are we going to continue to see Chopped judges making it to Iron Chef?