The Newsroom

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Holley Calmes, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I wasn't nearly as impressed by the second episode as I was by the first.

2. icecat

icecat Active Member

There is enough going on politically without getting it from your "entertainment"stations..
    http://tv.yahoo.com/news/hbo-now-targeting-fox-news-roger-ailes-tv-223010108.html
    HBO? not worth the $
    For me the last straw was putting the mock up of President Bush's head on a stake...just imagine if that was our current president's head...it would have been on the front page of every newspaper ( what's left of them) and headlining every news show...but only because it would have been racist, not political. Of course, this was neither..right? :rolleyes:

3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Aren't you in the wrong forum?

4. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

All politics aside...after watching that hideous episode 2, Richard and I said "that was it!" We won't be watching anymore. My big peeve was the absolutely disgusting depiction of the two most prominent women in the show. I have worked in many corporate settings over my years, and those women were the most revolting example of what some men "think" women can be on the job. Just off the wall emotional, hyper, unprofessional, and..well...I was repulsed. How many melt-downs did they experience between them? Professional women do NOT act like that in the work force. And I've been in the work force battling it out for women's rights since I was 14. Sorkin must have issues with women, and if what's being said over on "Television without pity" is correct..there's a lot of smoke.

Bye Newsroom! Lots of luck.

I do love HBO, though, except for this thing. Didn't they create "Deadwood?" I forgot her name, but the little blonde whore on Deadwood should go into the Newsroom office and just kick some ass. I bet she could straighten them all out without blabbering on for 15 minutes.

5. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Same here.....:(... and I don't like the "political lean" of some of the dialogues and monologues on "immigration"... but then i remembered it's HBO, a home for "Bill Maher"... If this show starts leaning "left" and many thousands of Russian immigrants will stop watching.

On the Russian-American forums participants were very excited about the show after the first episode, and after this 2nd episode there is a wave of discontent....:D

6. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I thought liberals/the left/Democrats were generally pro-immigration.

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm not saying goodbye just yet but I do feel like I am watching his first newsroom show because "Sports Night" (title?) had the same sort of romantic entaglements (or soon to be romantic) and I think "Sports Night" actually was better. I see what you are saying about the reaction of the women in the office. I think Sorkin thinks that sort of behavior might be adorable. My concern is that Sorkin has run out of fresh ideas. And that is sad because I like this guy.

8. Holley Calmes

That kind of behavior perpetuates what many men think of women in the workplace, and it pisses me off. Estrogen driven hysteria. Olivia Munn is a beautiful woman, but can she not see how demeaning this is? How silly? OK-I'm being too harsh. Forgive me. But back in the 1970's and 80's, it was tough. I hate seeing women act like this on such a hyped show. I could tell you all stories of demeaning and disgusting behavior that I coukd have sued for in this day and age. And these depictions of women are demeaning to me. Just demeaning. How can this get by in 2012??

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  9. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I don't know--I often wonder what films and shows we would see if most of the writers and producers in Hollywood were female. I am not bashing men---I am merely curious.

10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Tonight's episode was MUCH better than last week. I'm glad we decided to hang in there on this show. I'm optimistic about the trend.

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I liked the Sorkin vs the Koch brothers theme: Go Sorkin!

12. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I agree significantly better episode. I could actually do with less relationship angst, but other than that, I loved it.

13. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Loved that.

Agreed, but I will say that any news outlet I have worked at was practically incestuous with the number of people who had slept with each other or even sources. Even the small town newspapers were bad. Election nights were the worst, as you just knew that people were hooking up as they waited on results.

I quit listening to those things after a while, as it is really hard to do a good interview with someone you've seen photos of and heard lurid details about in regards to the bedroom. It is one of the reasons that my strict policy is that I will not write about sex scandals. There are only so many things you want to know about people.

14. dramagrrl

dramagrrl New Member

Excellent third episode. I love the Neil/Jim bromance and Jim as a character in general. He's such a typical Sorkin earnest guy character - like Sam Seaborn on The West Wing or Tom on Studio 60 - and I always love them all.

15. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

ITA x3. This kind of personal dynamic is the heart of a Sorkin series.

I also really enjoyed, to my surprise, Jane Fonda. I'm not a fan of her normally, but this was a good character for her. And wow does she look good!

We've seen that "ratings are down/don't piss off the sponsors" scene before of course in both Sportsnight and Studio 60, but of course it is a reality for TV land so it does make sense. And I continue to love Sam Waterson's character.

Will's opening monologue was another farfetched-idealism-but-I-don't-care scene. I'm such a sap, I never tire of those.

But ... he's a Republican?!? Really?

16. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I watched all 3 episodes last night, and I really enjoyed it.

I never watched West Wing so it's all new to me!

17. ArtisticFan

She must have learned something during her time with Ted Turner. I thought her performance was very effective. Though I did enjoy her telling of the Jesus/Moses joke. The way she delivered it was well done even if the ending was telegraphed a mile away.

She didn't even speak until that last scene with her. She did quite a bit of reacting.

18. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I could listen to intelligent dialogue all day any day. I don't care if some of it seems recycled, the world would be a better place if people really did talk like this in real life... ;)

19. Holley Calmes

Not in my world. If that incessant yammering happened in my world, I would probably wind up doing harm to someone, and I really don't want that. Maybe it's more about the delivery than the words. Different strokes.

20. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

More rehashing tonight. Mac's lack of understanding of economics and needing a co -worker to explain it to her is a rehash of C.J. seeking Sam out to teach her about the census. And next week's show centers around Will getting a death threat via email and needing security. Same as C.J.

21. Bostonfan

But I still like the show :)

22. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

23. Bostonfan

HILARIOUS!

24. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I have to bow to Sorkin. This is not my favorite show that he has written but I have to hand it to a guy who can tie together the Supreme Court decision regarding Citizen's United, the Koch ties to that and the ties to the efforts to break the unions in Wisconsin. And then talk about Glass/Steagall act, it's repeal in 1999 and the resulting banking mess and still manage to have an enertaining show. That is not easy.

I understand David Koch is an intensely private man. It is one thing to tweak Rush Limbaugh but to display David caught in an alleged lie is something else. Aaron might need to watch his back.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  25. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Watch his back? "Intensely private" does not necessarily translate to "out for vengeance every time someone tweaks you in public," as I'm sure every introvert on this board could tell you.

26. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My apologies Wyliefan--I should have worded it differently. Once upon a time I liked the Koch's as they employ so many in my hometown but stuff happens. And I do worry for Sorkin. I'll just leave it at that.

27. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

This episode got me thinking about whether TMZ actually accepts bribes from people to keep themselves out of TMZ's shows. I hadn't heard that allegation before, but this ep got me thinking that there may be some truth in it.

28. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ This. It is indeed an impressive feat.

Yup, made that connection right away. It was pretty well done though. Even tho CJ not understanding something fairly obscure like the census is more believable than Mac "not getting the economy" ... they way they treated it was still good. Loved the interplay with Sloan -- "I'm the closest thing to a female friend you have" "Does that mean I don't have female friends or you're not entirely female?" :lol:

And am I the only one who cheered when Neal punched the computer monitor with Rush Limbaugh? Who hasn't wanted to do that?

The final scene was cheezy but still good.

So ... now do we start counting down to when Will & Mac get back together? I guess it depends on whether it gets renewed. They had to rush the Danny-Jordan relationship when Studio 60 got cancelled.

29. ArtisticFan

While the death threat thing has been used before, it is still something that does happen in newsrooms more frequently than most people think.

30. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the show and some of the dialogue is pretty sharp, but, like some others on this thread have posted, can't stand the portrayal of women on the show. They are mostly, aside from Olivia Munn's character, whiny and incompetent and I don't like all the scenes of male characters having to teach the female characters something. Really, a war correspondent does not know how to use an e-mail in this day and age? Someone needs to introduce Aaron Sorkin to a actual, real-life woman or maybe he should imagine his female characters as men and write them from that perspective.