The new "Mildred Pierce"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Wyliefan, Sep 13, 2010.

1. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Hmm I've been meaning to actually post in this thread for a while. I'm looking forward to this when it eventually comes to New Zealand (well I'm presuming we'll get it here).

I just can't believe some people in this thread don't believe the Joan Crawford version is a classic. In my mind it's an absolute classic. Forget the story itself though I think they did an amazing job on it. The noir characteristics are what makes it a classic. In my opinion its one of the most defining noir films.

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I don't have HBO, so I am missing it.
    Time said that Winslet's performance was far better than Crawford's. I could believe that - I thought Joan was actually much, much better in Humoresque.

3. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I watched it last night, and so far I am bouncing between bored, and wanting to smack Veda upside the head. Overall it's ok, but it's moving very slow.

4. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I didn't get to sit down and watch it last night. It was mostly playing in the background while I dealt with multiple household disasters. What I saw I wouldn't call boring, but definitely slow-paced. I think it will get much more intense in the next installment when Veda will be older and raising even more hell. I thought Winslet was fantastic (but I always do.)

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Coincidentally (or not?), TCM ran the original this weekend. :) I agree with gingercrush that it's a classic. It may not slavishly follow the book -- or even closely follow the book -- but the story keeps you watching and I think the performances hold up very well. Maybe not Zachary Scott's -- he reminds me of a line from MST3K: "Hi, I'm Bob Evil!" -- but Crawford's, Carson's, Arden's, and Blyth's do.

And it's not like James M. Cain was one of the great masters of literature anyway . . . :shuffle:

Still, I do want to check out the new one when I can.

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Watched it.

Thought it was probably truer to the novel. I guess the fact that it is a mini-series means that it will delve more into the complications of the characters than the movie could.

7. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it.

It's not exciting - much more character based than exciting, but I found myself sucked in. And Kate Winslet is doing a great job, especially since she's in every single scene.

I'm excited for the later episodes to see what Evan Rachel Wood does with Veda. I've heard good things about her performance.

And I think it'll be safe to say that Kate will get the Emmy this year. That will leave her with just a Tony in order to become one of the 11 EGOT holders... (yes, she has a Grammy)

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What's funny is that Kate won a Grammy FIRST. LOL! You would think that would be the last and hardest award for her to get. I think she will win many more Oscars. I think she has the Emmy absolutely locked up. If she ever wants a Tony she will get it, she has the talent, for sure.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I wonder what made Winslet decide to do a cable miniseries.

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Because those HBO miniseries almost always win awards and HBO pays :bribe: to the actors.

11. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

12. Wyliefan

The murder plot in the original was "ridiculous"? Eh, eye of the beholder, I guess. I think it works great.

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Did they do the "my mother, a WAITRESS" scene :lol:? That was my favorite part of the original.

14. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yep they did.

15. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I enjoyed it, but I miss Jack Carson and Eve Arden. This new Wally just doesn't cut it for me.

16. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I made the mistake of watching the original on Saturday night and I prefer it to the new version. There's something about the aloofness of Crawford's version that I just love. I think Winslet is amazing and suspect that I will feel the same about Evan Rachel Wood. However, I agree with Grannyfan that Jack Caron and Eve Arden were much better than their replacements. I think Allison Janney would have been a really good Ida. Mare Winningham is good, but she's playing Ida far too straight, without any humor. James LeGros as Wally is just bad casting in my opinion. Guy Pearce is good, but that mustache is just not well done.

17. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Guy Pearce has an oddly shaped mouth to start with, and that mustache just draws more attention to it. He looks better clean shaven.

18. Wyliefan

Is it just me, or does Winslet look young enough to play Veda instead of Mildred? Maybe she caught Eternal Youth Syndrome from Leo diCaprio.

IMDb says she's my age, so I guess that technically she's old enough to play the mom of a teenager, but she so doesn't look it!

19. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

From the preview, I think they make her look older when Evan Rachel Wood is around.

20. screech

screech Well-Known Member

When I saw Guy Pearce in this I immediately thought his hair resembled Billy Zane's in Titanic.

21. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Watched Parts 1 and 2 yesterday. One word - boring. Make it two words - unbelievably boring. Hate the sound track also; nothing about this is working for me.

22. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I saw part 1 and 2, and thought it was very good. It is different than the original, in style, but very good in its own way.

It’s not slow …. My guess is – such pace and rhythm was intended..

I think there are very few options to effectively remake an A-list classic film headed by bigger-than-life A-list actress (Crawford) and be able to provide a “fertile soil in a theatrical sense” for a modern A-list Oscar material actress (Winslet).

Director/s did not have much choice but to expand each of the characters, make daily routines more detailed in order to offset Winslet’s extreme case of method acting in order to distinguish the production from the original.

Winslet is in a rank where she can’t afford to “copy” Crawford’s theatrical/classic style. She had to do something different yet equally effective (as an A-list actress herself she can’t loose to Crawford) – so Winslet went for “maximum Stanslavsky”….. and to showcase that style the pace of the movie had to be much slower and other characters more detailed…. Plus there are 5 hours to fill….. :D.

Remakes are dangerous for A-list actresses….. Julia Ormond’s career was on the rise after “Legend of the Falls”, and vanished after very awful “Sabrina” remake, even “Semila’s Sense of Snow”, the next film, could not save her from being bumped off the A-list into “TV-movies” land.

I am enjoying every minute of Winslet’s acting, every body movement, every facial expression, just as much as I enjoyed Crawford’s; both are different, and both are good…… Can’t wait to see the rest of the episodes.

23. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Just watched this on DVR. It was very well done. The acting was excellent, and the set-up of time, place, and attitude was superb. Everything was done to perfection.

In other words, I was completely, utterly BORED. :p

I think maybe the perfection was part of the problem--it was methodical to the point it was plodding. It was over-thought and over-produced. The details got to be a little much--we get it. She bakes pie. She's middle class. She's proud. Veda is a brat. I get it, seriously. I don't think anyone watching "Mildred Pierce" is going to be the type of viewer that needs to be hit with the three-ton Acme Clue Anvil. It was like the late 90s Tarasova method of skating translating to film--everything you do well, do it at least three times to make sure everyone gets it. There was no need for that to be two hours and five minutes long--it could easily have been accomplished in an hour and a half--probably a little less.

I'll probably tune in tonight, but if it doesn't move faster, I'll be watching House Hunters instead. :p

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

So...speaking of Acme Clue Anvils: how are you liking Possession? :p

25. Wyliefan

I found someone who's doing recaps of each episode, and though I haven't seen any of the miniseries yet, I have to say they're pretty funny. :lol: The recapper agrees with those of you who think it's boring.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Ooooh, lemon meringue pie! :swoon:

27. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Possession? I know not of what you speak. I am not from your country. No hablo ingles.

:shuffle:

It's spring. Everything is new and shiny and sunny. This is the time of year for madcap car chases, vampires, and bodice-ripping. I've put it on the back-burner and am going to re-start it later. I'm hoping it's going to be like The Poisonwood Bible--it took me three tries to start it, but when I finally was in the right mood, I really enjoyed it.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:lol: I hear ya. You have to be in the mood for this one.

29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

That was my impression as well. I'm watching the premier of The Killing on AMC tonight instead of the rest of this. Not my cup of tea at all.

30. Wyliefan

I ran across Mildred Pierce in the bookstore today, and out of curiosity, I read the ending. It's a very good ending. But I still think the murder story works fine, too.

Honestly, I don't see any reason why they couldn't have used the book's ending in the original film, even in Production Code days. It's not much more salacious than what they did do. With the exception of the Veda-being-naked part, and that's easily solved -- just throw a robe on her. But they don't have the storyline about her becoming an opera singer, and without it, Cain's ending doesn't work. I wonder if they just decided that a murder story was easier and simpler to portray than the opera storyline.