The new "Mildred Pierce"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Wyliefan, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Trailer here.

I'm not flipping out over this one the way I do with some remakes. When a film is adapted from a book, I often feel there can legitimately be multiple film versions that interpret it in different ways. (Okay, I'm a hair-splitter.)

That said, it looks to me like this one isn't going to be nearly as good as the Joan Crawford version. JMHO. Veda doesn't seem as snarky or as evil, and no Eve Arden, and no Jack Carson . . . and no shoulder pads! :drama:

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Sacrilege. It was a great flick, although I found Crawford underwhelming in the original - Ann Blyth, Eve Arden and Zachary Scott stole that movie from her. But I lurve Kate Winslet, so I will try to keep an open mind. I think she'll be better than Joan.

3. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Actually I think Rachel Evan Woods is quite an amazing young actress, I think she will make a great Veda.

I hate that mustache on Guy Pearce though. :scream:

The costumes look fab! :swoon:

4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't think the original MP is considered a "classic" among film critics. It probably feel very dated if I was to watch it now. I'm sure Kate will bring extra dimensions to the role that wasn't required of Crawford back then.

5. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I agree about Evan Rachel Wood. She is stunningly awesome. I'll pretty much watch anything she is in, just because she's in it, and she's one of very few actors I can say that about. Kate Winslet is a nice bonus. I've seen the original a couple of times but it's not a film that I'm particularly attached to, so I don't have much problem with a remake, especially since this looks like a high quality effort.

6. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Looking for a classic version of the story? Looking for extra dimensions? Try this and this!

:watch:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am off to find the book! :D

8. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

This new version doesn't look to be any better than the book.

9. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

So the message I'm getting is: You wanna play Mildred Pierce? You'd better have the fiercest eyebrows in the business. :p

10. PEKINGMOO

PEKINGMOO New Member

Can they please cast Faye Dunaway? that I would see....

11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

:lol::lol:

12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

13. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I love Joan Crawford in Mildred Pierce and thoroughly believe she deserved her Oscar. This was the film that would either keep her in Hollywood or drive her out. So much was riding on it. The camp value was high, Veda was perfectly cast, and I think it still holds up (I rented it a few months ago).
    Not crazy about Kate Winslet in this. I just don't think they need to mess with this classic. Sort of like when they remade The Women. Just don't.

14. Wyliefan

The Women remake looked absolutely horrific, and I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial ten-foot pole. I understand how you feel about having your favorites remade, but at least it looks like they put a little more effort into this remake than they did into The Women.

15. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Can you imagine remaking Now Voyager, with all the plastic surgery options available today? You could cast Rosie O'Donnell and Gwyneth Paltry for the same role pre and post "mountain retreat".

Yes I do know it's Paltrow, and what did she call that poor child, kumquat, nashi-pear, dangle berry? Poor poor thing

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'd put a fatwa out on anyone who thought that they could remake Now, Voyager....

17. Wyliefan

You just couldn't. Never mind Bette Davis and Charles Boyer, you couldn't remake it without Claude Rains!!

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  18. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Charles Boyer? Don't you mean Paul Henreid?

19. Wyliefan

Sorry, yes, Paul Henreid.

20. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I really don't mind this as I found the original Mildred Pierce to be underwhelming. Happy Joan got her Oscar and Hollywood comeback and all, but it's not as if the original film was anywhere near a classic. However, the remake of The Women was just sacrilege on every level.

21. Squibble

Squibble New Member

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

23. LuckyCharm

So, I'm getting excited since the premiere only a couple of weeks away now (3/27.) I watched part of the making of special the other night and it looks great. This will be a nice pick-me-up from the end of the skating season blues (assuming Worlds takes place as scheduled.) And I'm sure everyone is excited that none other than Sumi Jo did the singing for Veda!;)

24. duane

duane New Member

These are my sentiments as well. I can see the remake being much better.

25. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I had to cancel my HBO earlier this year, so sadly I'll have to wait for DVD. :(

26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Billboards up for it all over LA, so it is getting some push, but the ads on the side of the buses seem to be for The Borgias.

27. LuckyCharm

Starts tonight, 8 CST.

28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Too bad I don't have HBO. I am sure it will be online within a day or so, just have to do some searching. Maybe Netflix will have it fairly quickly after its run is over.

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The HBO film has been getting mixed reviews. I'm interested to hear what you guys think of it :)

30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

so far, boring is what comes to mind. I don't think I'll watch the 2nd half.