The name of the SP music Petrenko used for his 1988 Olympic bronze.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by seabm7, Jun 7, 2013.

1. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Does anyone know the name of the music? I checked wikipedia, but there is no clue in his entry. I listened to a youtube clip of his performance, and it sounded like a classical ballet piece.

2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Carmen, probability 2/3.
    Hahahaaaa
    Just kidding.

gingercat and (deleted member) like this.
  3. lala

lala Well-Known Member

The Carmen was his SP music in 1991 :D

4. Nours

Nours Active Member

Also in 1992 & 1994.

5. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Is it Don Quixote by Minkus? Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes and John Curry also used this music, as well as Ilinykh/Katsalapov in recent times...I'm sure a lot of skaters used this music from the ballet

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  6. lala

lala Well-Known Member

oops, really...I forgot it.

7. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Don Quixote was his LP music in 1988.

8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

9. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

I definitely agree. And he was only 18 at that time.

10. unicorn

unicorn Member

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I loved what Viktor had in 1988 as an 18 year old. He had great speed, lines, elegance. He was a total package. I was a bit disappointed with the way he developed in later years, but he still was my favorite. His 1991 worlds LP is one of my all time favorites. Most of all, watching him live with COI made me really 'feel' the power of his skating. I remember one of the women sitting next to me saying- he has the most expressive body. So true.

12. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Holy smokes. So the boy COULD skate with transitions. Totally impressed.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  13. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

That was my favorite of Petrenko's programs. Amazing skate!

14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

What is he doing now? There were many amazing Russian male skaters. Anyone doing coaching to pass their skills to the younger Russian kids?

15. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I think he coaches Brezina now, a huge unfulfilled talent imo

16. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes, he is working with Brezina and if I remember well, with Johnny Weir in last season, in US.

17. briancoogaert

Exactly my thought.
    His skating was beautiful but I was not fond of his style.
    This SP is totally different from what I remember of him 1991-1994. WOW

18. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    Vash01, falling_dance, gkelly and 3 others like this.
  19. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

20. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Viktor was moon walking long before Plushenko. :cool: And his dramatic flair in programs like Romeo & Juliet show off that wonderful Soviet style with the strong ballet background. Petrenko, like Yagudin, was one of those skaters who could act and tell a story between the jumps. A real gift!

Petrenko is Ukrainian, not Russian. :)

Thank you!!

Viktor was moon walking long before Plushenko. :cool: And his dramatic flair in programs like Romeo & Juliet show off that wonderful Soviet style with the strong ballet background. Petrenko, like Yagudin, was one of those skaters who could act and tell a story between the jumps. A real gift!

One of my all-time favorite Viktor Petrenko performances is when he starred as Clara's godfather Herr Drosselmeier in "Nutcracker on Ice" starring Oksana Baiul.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Vash01

The 6.0 system did not reward transitions much (so most skaters did not invest a lot in those); landing difficult jumps was the most important thing, but Petrenko had it all- the jumps, spins, strong basic skating skills, flair, and presence on the ice. He had versatility too. He could skate an emotional 'Tosca' as well as a fun number like the life-size doll as a prop. I loved his skate to Brian Adams' 'if you really love a woman' at Sergei's memorial.

22. Vash01

In his first two Olympics he skated for the USSR (1988) and the former USSR's team (1992), so in a way he did grow up under the Russian influence. He could have easily moved to Moscow to take advantage of the superior facilities there, after his 1988 Olympic bronze, but he stayed in Odessa. So I don't think he really feels indebted to Russia in any way. He could still coach a Russian male skater, just as he could coach an American skater. I don't know of any strong contenders from Ukraine at this point.

In 1994 he skated for Ukraine, along with Oksana Baiul. I did not particularly care for the Nutcracker on ice; it was OK. Viktor was still pretty good in it.

23. Aussie Willy

24. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Sorry! :)

25. briancoogaert

The fact is that he was able to skate perfect programs with transitions. And other skaters tried so much more demanding programs (Petr Barna had a lot of choreo, transitions...). So, that's a shame that someone as talented as Petrenko didn't care about skating !

26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I don't think that not including a lot of transitions under a system that did not rewards them equals "did not care about skating". Actually, even if the system does reward transitions, it doesn't mean that this should be the top priority for all skaters or the main method of evaluating their merit. There is more to skating than transitions (sometimes I feel like I should have that as auto-text).

27. briancoogaert

I agree that transition is not everything. And I guess it depends on what we like in skating. But really, cross-over from one jump to another is not skating to me. ;)

28. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'd rather watch Elena Berezhnaya do crossovers than many skaters do whatever transitions Lori Nichol/David Wilson/whoever has prescribed. :p

Anyway, nothing but crossovers would indeed be bad, but even the most 6.0ish of skaters don't do that. Also, I think some skaters get overly cute with their TR and element entries/exits and try to do too much, and the quality of the elements and the programs can suffer from it. If a skaters is super-focused on packing in linking footwork, it can distract them from performing and interpreting the music, IMO - and that's assuming those transitions would have worked with the music to begin with, which isn't always the case. Skating isn't just a technical sport, and I think we can all agree that those things do matter.

29. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I have to wonder if Petrenko's lack of transitions was part of what cost him the 1991 World title...even if Browning had an advantage on the jumps, Petrenko clearly had a massive advantage on carriage, line, basic skating, etc. But even in 1991, before Browning had really started developing into an artistic skater, his programs were chock full of transitions. Petrenko's empty programs particularly stuck out there - really too bad he didn't continue in the vein of this program.

30. Aussie Willy

Petrenko's problem was a lack of fitness. His programs just seemed to fizzle out at the end. That is probably what cost him the 91 World title.