The most "unbeloved" Olympic Champion(s) - what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Fandango, Jul 23, 2012.

Most "unbeloved" Olympic Champions, iyho???

Poll closed Aug 2, 2012.
  1. Tara Lipinski - 1998

8.0%
  2. Sarah Hughes - 2002

26.1%
  3. Sale & Pelletier - 2002

25.3%
  4. Totmiannina & Marinin - 2006

4.0%
  5. Gritschuk & Platov - 1994

4.0%
  6. Viktor Petrenko - 1992

0.3%
  7. Alexei Urmanov - 1994

8.0%
  8. Evgeny Plushenko - 2006

4.8%
  9. Evan Lysacek - 2010

13.1%
  10. OTHER! Please state, and please forgive, if I didn't mention someome/somthing remarkable!

6.5%
  1. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

:confused: Does not compute :confused:
    The question was not who is loved most, but rather who is (or was?) loved the least. That's why I voted Hughes. I don't dislike her, but she was the most nondescript OGM since Annette Poetsch and very few people got all excited over her, even in her home country.

2. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I have to say I agree S&P are not terribly beloved; however, I think it has more to do with the fact that their off ice antics (nasty comments about other skaters, multiple affairs) have been a major turn-off over the past few years. While was never a big fan of theirs, and will never be convinced they were robbed in SLC , I do think they were stronger skaters than many here give them credit for. They do have a very strong following in Canada from what I can tell.

For me, it’s Sarah Hughes who is the most “unbeloved”. Many consider her a one hit wonder, and there are very few who name her as their favorite skater. Most fans of American Ladies preferred Kwan or Cohen; many European fans thought Slutskaya was robbed. She also never really contributed to the sport the way she should have in order to really reach that beloved status. I remember in 2006, when Arakawa won , really being struck at the difference between the way that she responded to becoming champion as opposed to Sarah Hughes. With so much excitement over her win, Arakawa used that opportunity to perform at as many venues as she could; she did many appearances on Japanese TV. I remember reading that she helped re-open a childhood rink where she had trained . She also was very involved the Tokyo Worlds the next season, did commentary for Japan in 2010…etc.

Sarah won, did a Wheaties ad, showed up out of shape the next season and on SOI , then went to college, and never really capitalized on the initial excitement over her win or promoted the sport. While she had no obligation to do so, it’s not hard to see why she wouldn’t be so beloved as a skater.

Heck, one thing I’ll even say for S&P, is that they were consummate professionals and performers on the ice after their win.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I voted for Tara because her win was so controversial. I do not believe Sarah's win was as controversial, because Michelle faltered that year. In 1998 she did not. Sarah had the best performance that Olys even if she didn't win anything else. So, it was fair. I think that Tara *used to be* less beloved, but as an adult she has "given back" to the sport through her commentating, and people tend to forget how annoying she was as a youngster.

I think S&P are not beloved simply because of all the drama surrounding their personal lives. They did give a good Oly performance, and it wasn't their fault the judge cheated. What happened afterwards, though, makes people not like them.

4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

"Hate" is a pretty strong word.

5. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I will never understand why Sarah did not choose to capitilize on her OGM. It's almost like her "people" tried so hard to make her seem like "just a regular 11th grader" that they missed opportunities for her. She had like zero endorsements and I cannot imagine it was from lack of offers. Anyone know if this is the case, or did she really get little endorsements?

6. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

She was on a soup can and IIRC she did have a contract with GE.

7. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Just realized how tough this poll is. I didn't realize until now that so many OGM's are so unlikable.

8. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

TT/MM were the rightful winners in 2006 but I don't think many people wanted them to get the OGM, compared with other pairs.

9. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Sarah's win was on a 5/4 split while Tara's was a more convincing 6/3, not to mention Sarah's sp ordinals were all over the place and as low as 10th. I think S/P's gold medal was far more controversial than anything else on this poll. I was okay with the original decision but then after La Gougne started running her mouth and sounding all crazy something had to be done...I'm still not sure what the best solution was but I'm not convinced that duplicate gold medals was a good one.

10. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Schwarz.

Why he isn't on the Poll, I have no idea.

1. His medal was very controversial
    2. He is a total criminal scumbag

How is anyone even close?

11. query5

query5 New Member

outside of sarah hughes, and sale and pelletier, i don't have any one

12. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

ITA.

13. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

2002 was more competitive, though, with more potential winners for the judges to waver between, so the outrage over who won was spread out among several skaters' fans. In 1998 "everyone knew it was between Tara and Michelle" so the anger was really put on one person.

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I voted for Hughes because out of everyone on the list and against their respective competitors, she had the least OGM calibre in her actual skating. However, ultimately it somehow worked out that she won and I am fine with that, no matter how much it hurt my eyes to see her do a lutz or flip.

On the other hand, the way S&P conducted themselves before that second set of OGMs were awarded was just disgraceful. However, I am not sure if they were unbeloved just because the crowd was behind them and they emerged from the whole story as the victims.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Awwww, S&P are winning this poll. I'd like to clarify: the least loved by the voter or who is least loved by the general public, in voter's opinion?

16. Proustable

Proustable New Member

On this list? Probably Lysacek or Urmanov.

17. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I went with Sarah Hughes, partly because I stubbornly refuse to include Sale and Pelletier in the category of "Olympic Champions." :shuffle:

18. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I can see that argument, but despite Hughes' SC win earlier that season, I think 2002 was just as much the Slutskaya/Kwan show as 1998 was the Kwan/Lipinski show. I mean, Lipinski had lost to Hubert of all people during her Olympic season. I don't think that made Laetitia a sudden threat for gold in Nagano. The two overwhelming favorites in 98 both delivered (what a great competition!) and in 02 the top two fell a little flat and allowed an underdog to seize the opportunity- and just barely. If Kwan and Lipinksi had both flopped in 98, and an underdog like Bute or Slute had stepped up, I think a an upset win would definitely have been possible just like in 02.

19. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Can anyone refresh my memory?

How did S/P bitch and moan before the IOC made ISU hand out a second set of Gold? I mean they are obviously on the news a lot, so what exactly did they say during the interviews?

I'm a fan of S/P so it may be my selective memory. I can only recall during the K&C where audience booed the result S/P were actually telling the audience to calm down, Sale cried on the podium, giving interviews on how they thought they won, and afterward when it was decided they also would get the Gold, S/P gave interviews on how it was still bittersweet because the cheating judges took away the "moment" of their victory.

it's not like they chucked their medals into the garbage can...

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

:lol:

21. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

OMG they're tied at 61 votes each... Hughes is poised for a come from behind victory, and S&P are poised to finish an unexpected second ,just like in SLC!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Hughes and Sale/Pelletier, I agree with everyone. Both wins were beyond riddiculous.

Apart from this, my personal least loved Olympic champions are Navka/Kostomarov.

23. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

I voted for Sarah Hughes. Yes, she was by far the best in the free skate but in the sp I would not have even placed her in the top six. That's why I don't rate her as high as other Olympic Champions.
    Also, after her Gold she just seemed to fall apart.
    Anyone else here in London finding a parking space?. It's like there is an Olympics about to start :lol:

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  24. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Sale/Pelletier I dislike all their crocodile tears and crying wolf :mad:

25. D&Sfan4ever

D&Sfan4ever Living in a Snark

This.

26. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

For me, they were good but not great Olympic Champions. In 2006, though, there really was no other pair that could touch them, so there wasn't anyone else to root for on merit. I suppose some folks rooted for Shen/Zhao's comeback from injury and of course some folks rooted for their own national favorites, but really, Tot/Mar were in a class of their own in that field.

I completely agree they were rightful winners and the exhibition skate they did on COI that year was especially beautiful and transporting in a G&G way. Still, I think you have a point that they were not hugely loved. I remember a lot of folks (not including me) found them boring.

27. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Boring is an understatement. It also didn't help that Totmianina always seemed like a sour puss and Marinin was completely stoic and emotionless.

28. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Because he's pretty much not on people's radar screens; I have barely even heard of him. Perhaps the poll should say most unbeloved OGM of the modern era.

29. query5

query5 New Member

the reason jamie and david is because i feel they was gifted the ogm --not won,

reason for sarah are many

30. UDelpairs2012

UDelpairs2012 New Member

I said Plushenko. He has a compete lack on respect for his competitors that I find appalling. I just can't get past him stating that he should have won the platinum medal. IT was completely ridiculous. Also I find him completely boring to watch because he has not artistic ability what so ever.