The most "unbeloved" Olympic Champion(s) - what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Fandango, Jul 23, 2012.

Most "unbeloved" Olympic Champions, iyho???

Poll closed Aug 2, 2012.
  1. Tara Lipinski - 1998

8.0%
  2. Sarah Hughes - 2002

26.1%
  3. Sale & Pelletier - 2002

25.3%
  4. Totmiannina & Marinin - 2006

4.0%
  5. Gritschuk & Platov - 1994

4.0%
  6. Viktor Petrenko - 1992

0.3%
  7. Alexei Urmanov - 1994

8.0%
  8. Evgeny Plushenko - 2006

4.8%
  9. Evan Lysacek - 2010

13.1%
  10. OTHER! Please state, and please forgive, if I didn't mention someome/somthing remarkable!

6.5%
  1. Fandango

Fandango New Member

No further comment! :cool:

2. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I'll be the first. I chose other and I had Trixi Schuba in mind. Granted, she was the best at figures,otherwise her skating was not remarkable to put it mildly
    She's not admired for her free skating.

3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Urmanov.

I have absolutely nothing against him. But I'm not sure I've ever seen evidence of Urmanov ubers here or elsewhere. No gushing about him. No reminiscing of his programs or anything. He doesn't make anyone's lists of favorite skaters or programs or anything. He is just sort of forgotten.

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I gush about him all the time! He had wonderful style and skating skills as well as picture perfect jumps. Love his musicality.

I also defended him all through the survivor threads until he got voted out!

By the way my vote goes to Hughes for being the most undeserving OGM on the list

5. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

Wolfgang Schwarz. I think he always had the reputation of being the man who won mainly because Emmerich Danzer made a big mistake in the school figures, and he also has a reputation here as the guy who robbed Tim Wood of that very same OGM. Also, as Vagabond pointed out in the men's OGM Survivor thread, he's a convicted human trafficker.

6. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I think that last part ought to be the first reason he's not beloved. :eek:

7. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

I saved the best reason for last.

8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:eek::eek: Such a shameless person!

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Most unbeloved Olympic champion? Oh, this is going to end well. :scream:

10. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go with Sale/Pelletier, Sarah Hughes wasn't my favourite skater, but at least she earned her OGM more fairly than S/P in my eyes...

11. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

OMG!!! I wish this was multiple choice! :lol:

12. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Ita and it boggles the mind why it's not a poll choice other than "other". On second thought, no its not. Most polls at fsu refuse to admit that skating existed before 1988. :lol:

13. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Yeah, this really should be multiple choice. Urmanov is my favorite from the list and I totally don't get what people have against him; he's a much better skater than Stojko and deserved his OGM, IMO.

I'll say other and side with falling_dance against Schwarz as the absolute worst Olympic Champion though.

14. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!

Wow, I think even if Tonya Harding had won the gold medal, he'd still come out on top (or on the bottom).

15. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think Sarah deserved her OGM by the way she skated that night; she just didn't have a skating career to match. The rest of her career was pretty unremarkable for what you would expect and OGM to have.

16. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Yep.

17. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Interesting topic. I had to think -does it mean actively disliked (then Tara gets my vote) or just a skater hardly anyone got excited over (then Hughes gets my vote as most meh OGM). If it means no one likes them much outside their home turf, then I think Sale & Pelletier may get the nod. (I think they were pretty beloved in Canada.)

I guess few folks agreed with Grishuk-P's win in 94, and Canadians didn't think Urmanov deserved the win, but they, and all the others had their fans.

The one who does not belong on this list at all is Viktor Petrenko. He was a hugely popular skater, even in North America. (Was this poll by chance assembled by someone too young to remember the early 1990s very well?)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  18. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I voted Sale and Pelletier. They aren't my favorite, I definitely prefer B/S, but some people speak of them as though they shouldn't have ever qualified for a world championship. :blah:

My personal pic is Evan, though. It's true...I don't love him.

19. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

My mind went to a very bad place, thinking about Tonya, Schwarz, and tops and bottoms. On second thought, maybe someone should've sic'ed (sp?) Tonya on Schwarz like that as punishment for his crimes...? But I digress.

ETA: oh, and I voted for Sale/Pelletier. :p

20. brightphoton

brightphoton New Member

Sale and Pelletier shouldn't even count. Their medal is as earned as the American gymnasts' 2000 bronze medal.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  21. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

How can S/P and Hughes be nearly tied?! At least S/P are greatly beloved in their own country, while in the US , Hughes is criticized more than any other ogm. Hughes for the win (loser)!

22. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

My vote goes for him now, IMO he should have been included on the list over say, Petrenko, whose inclusion on this list makes no sense to me, and for others it seems because he has yet to get a vote.

23. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

He was my first favorite male skater! :)
    (btw, Alexei Yagudin idolized Urmanov)

24. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

That's why I didn't vote for S/P and have some :confused: in my head looking at result:(

25. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I voted Hughes because of the underrotations. I'd have Evan second because of the 3A.

26. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

The question is: Who is the "most unbeloved," and the question is being asked on FSU. The answer is a no-brainer ... "easily S/P," as can be ascertained from all the pairs "survivor" polls on here, not to mention numerous threads debating SLC, and hating on JS. Who's kidding who? I don't think it is about who deserves to be "most unbeloved," but who actually is "most unbeloved" by peeps in these here ramparts. ;)

Urmanov is just another victim of judges' stupidity, shortsightedness, and paralyzed stuck-in-the mud gutlessness. He's a superb skater, IMO better than Plush and Yagudin combined, and obviously loads better than Mishin's current youngster Gachinski. Urmanov never really had the chance to catch on and become popular among fans because he was foolishly and shortsightedly rewarded too soon over Elvis who deserved gold at '94 Olympics.

27. Plusdinfo

Plusdinfo Member

For me, unbeloved doesn't mean disliked but rather lacking love. I think that there are plenty of people who love Salle and Pelletier and Sarah Hughes even if those skaters also have many "haters". However, I think that Alexei Urmanov gets the least amount of love of the people on the list. Rarely does it seem that he is loved or remembered fondly.

28. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I would have put G&G or Yagudin in there. IMHO I loved them far more than most on that list.

29. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Voted for Sale/Pelletier. I dont know why people hate them so much. They deserved their gold medal. In the current system, S/P would have won by a mile. With all other competitions and controversies aside, they skated perfect at Olympics and had a wonderful program.

My next vote would have been Sarah Hughes. People only hate her because she had a small career and she beat Michelle.

30. mossop

mossop New Member

THEY got the GOLD. You got a say in this poll. Which is better?:D