The Monkees, thoughts, sentiments, favourite story, song, whatever ...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Zokko!, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

The Monkees, part of my childhood, Davy Jones my first love, Peter Tork my favourite character (now), "fairytale" my fav. story plus Liberace destroying a piano in another ... really, REALLY!!! love a few songs from "Head" plus "Daydream Believer" and "Steppin' Stone" ... AND YOU??? :swoon:

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Somebody just gave away how old she is! hehehe The Monkees were a bit before my time but I do remember hearing Daydream Believer all the time on the radio when I was younger. Still love that song! Didn't they also have a comedy tv show as well?

3. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

1966. Everybody trying to cash in on The Beatles success. So the Monkees were assembled for TV. Some wag called them “The Pre-Fab Four." "Pleasant Vally Sunday,” “Saturday’s Child” and “Valleri” are perhaps my favourite tunes. Just slight difference of opinion, Zokko. Paul Revere and The Raiders “Steppin’ Stone” was much more powerful. Listen to Mark Lindsay’s growl of a delivery.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  4. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

My mother never forgave my grandmother for giving away her Monkees sweatshirt.

5. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Yes - they were assembled for TV and really didn't have any intentions of them singing/playing their own songs. Mostly were looking for a Beatles image.
    Davy = Paul M looks, Mike N = George Harrison, Peter Tork, sort out of the ordinary but more to be John Lennon look, Mickey - Ringo.
    FYI - Mike's mother invented White out.
    IIRC - they really weren't allowed to sing as a group until the second season? They had stand ins? Their later albums they had more creativity, I believe

6. znachki

znachki Active Member

I loved the show, but didn't have a crush on any of them. I was only 9 - but I was in love with Robert Wagner...

My favorite Monkee's songs are not the most popular, and thanks to iTunes, I have them on my iPod. Not ashamed to say it... Sometime in the Morning,and Shades of Gray, I also have others, but those were my top two.

Fun fact - the guys had seen this great guitar player and secured him as the opening act on their tour in 1967. Unfortunately - it didn't last. The guitar player? Jimi Hendrix.

7. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I just love them! I've met them numerous times because my aunt would take me when I was little to their concerts. This was in the late 90s when they were broke up though, so I have never seen them all at once. But they were all the nicest people, they really love their fans.

I like Davy best ;)

8. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I have the movie Head. I've always wondered what it would be like to watch it when "not" sober or high on something.

9. BrokenAnkle

BrokenAnkle Active Member

Ahh the Monkees. I think the new Nick show, Big Time Rush is either a rip off or a salute to them; I prefer to think it's the latter.

Favorite song; Goin' Down It's impossible to sing along with, though I do try.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  10. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I watched reruns of the Monkees growing up and had a crush on Mickey :) Love so many of the songs.

11. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

Mickey was my favourite. We still have two of their albums hanging around the house. I think I must have liked drummers because I also liked Ringo best.

12. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I haven't listened to the entire link but that doesn't like "Steppin Stone". However, do you recognize who introduced them, cause it looks like a very, very young Michael Landon.

The Monkees
    Simply crushed on Davy - that accent got me every time even if he was a bit on the short side. He also seemed to be the one that got the girl - at least most of the time.
    Laughed at poor Peter, he just seemed so clueless. Mickey was a bit outrageous and Mike - the sane one.

Favourite song - that's a difficult question to answer cause I liked so many of them. Last Train to Clarksville, A Little Bit A Little Bit You come to mind.

13. cmkrcwi

cmkrcwi New Member

Did you know "Head" was written by Jack Nicholson?

I also love "Goin' Down".

14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

...and Marcia Brady went on a "date" with Davy. :lol:

15. Myskate

Myskate New Member

I loved the Monkees. We watched them every day after school. My favorite Monkees were Mike and Peter. I still listen to their CD's in my car. My family doesn't appreciate them as much as I do. My favorite song is "Words". There were one or two songs on the show that Mike sang lead on. I am trying to remember them--any help would be appreciated.

16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

You might not have had the same experiences as me, but in the '60's I was allowed 1 hour of Television a night. The Monkees was one of my 30 minutes.

17. Myskate

Myskate New Member

My parents worked until 5 every night. We kids 9,10 &12 were home alone for 3 hrs and watched The Three Stooges, The Little Rascals and The Monkees before we had to do our chores. What my parents didn't know, didn't hurt them.

18. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

My sister and I loved The Monkees! We always watched their show and bought their records. Peter and Mickey were my favorites. Mickey has a nice voice, too. Hmmmm, it's hard to just name one song, so here are a few that I really like:

Sometime in the Morning
    She
    Last Train to Clarksville
    Your Aunti Grizelda
    The Girl I knew Somewhere
    Cuddly Toy

19. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I loved the Monkees reruns when I was younger. Just dumb, fun entertainment. Looking back on the show, and on "Head", I am sure the entertainment could be a bit amplified by various pharmaceuticals!

Loved some of the lesser-known songs, as well as "Daydream Believer". I think "Shades of Gray" is my favorite.

20. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Loved the Monkees, as does DH - he has every album, even "Justus." (gak)

DH and I went to a fan convention in Philly - lots of fun. Saw them in concert a few times when we were in our 30's and we were amazed at how many teens knew all the words to their songs. At the time, MTV or VH1 was airing the entire series.

Our favorite memory is of a lunchtime concert at the World Trade Center in Manhattan. The PTB had performers come in to do free concerts on the Plaza. We brought our then-5 year old daughter, who of course knew the songs, to watch Davey and Mickey perform. (Before they reunited)

They signed autographs for a long time afterwards and DH waited with our DD patiently. They were just getting ready to stop signing when Davey said "Just one mo' - the little gurl." She cherishes that autograph to this day!

Mickey Dolenz is my favorite, mainly because I won money from him (well, the show/station) in a call-in contest when he was a DJ on WCBS-FM in NYC. The station changed to Jack-FM format a few weeks later, letting him go unexpectedly, which is a shame. He was a really good morning DJ, once he stopped bragging about himself. He played good songs, had an upbeat attitude, and didn't pick on Mr. G. the weather guy. (I hate that schtick - every other AM-DJ on that station does the stereotype jokes about Mr. G. He's gotta be the impetus.)

21. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

I loved the Monkees.
    Anyone remember "Zilch"

Can't really think of a song I don't like!

I remember that my sister was totally crazy about the show and one night when it was on, our Dad was watching football and would not switch it for the 30 min show. She threw herself on her bed crying. We still laugh :lol: about the "drama" of the moment!!

Also, she and her best friend were in their early teens and still would play with my best friend and I. They played we were their kids (I was 7 years younger than my sister) and our "Dads" were either Paul McCartney & John Lennon or Davy Jones & Mikey Dolenz!

Also, there was another Davy Jones that started using a different stage name so he would not be confused the the Davy Jones of the Monkees...David Bowie.

22. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

and never washed her cheek again. :lol:

I watched the show a few times as a kid, no great memories, but the Brady Bunch episode, yes! I do enjoy their songs.

23. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Oh wow, great thread! At the time I was too young to get most of the jokes (and I didn't think my Mom did either, or she wouldn't have allowed us to watch). Great concept for the show at the time. They always had slapstick going on.
    Now when I watch the reruns I get it. Loved all the songs.
    About a year ago AMC or something ran Head, Help, and Mrs Brown You Have a Lovely Daughter (Peter Noon) and it was about a dog!. Loved it. Other then the Peter Noon one, I think the rest were all writen while someone on asid.

24. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Gosh, I loved "She". Haven't thought about that song for years. I used to play it over and over from the album. I still have a couple Monkees 45s!!! (I'm glad this thread is full of people who know what 45s and albums are!!!) Mickey was my favorite too. On his birthday, we sang "Happy Birthday" and my best friend, Shauna, said she didn't sing the word "dear" before "Mickey" because she liked Davy! Uh, we were like 8 years old?????

25. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I was in jr high. My family was Catholic and I had to go to CCD on the night it was on!

We used to watch it on a Baltimore channel (we lived in DC) which had bumped it to Sat. afternoon.
    It was so fuzzy we could hardly see it.

I still have 2 alblums.

26. GoldenLady

GoldenLady Member

Originally Posted by Sparks
    ...and Marcia Brady went on a "date" with Davy.

Oh, of course! :lol: I think the first time I ever heard of Davey Jones was when I watched this episode of the Brady Bunch.... I didn't know who
    The Monkees were then. Of course I found out more afterwards, but any mention of them still conjures up that episode in my mind.

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Peter Tork was my first TV crush when I was five and The Monkees were on syndicated TV. I of course didn't understand a bloody thing WRT the jokes, but I loved the music.

My exBF and I went and saw them in concert for their first reunion tour in 1986. I figured the turnout at the Omni would have been light, but it was pretty much sold out. The BF and I stood out like sore thumbs as we were in full punk regalia and surrounded by The Future Soccer Moms of America :lol: .

Favorite song? To many to list, but I've always loved Randy Scouse Git just a little more than all of the other ones.

28. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

29. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

When I was a teen back in the late 1980's, I was into 16 Magazine, and Tiger Beat. The Monkees were actually in the color pin-up picture sections and featured in articles, right alongside people like Kirk Cameron, Coreys Feldman and Haim and NKOTB.

30. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Goodness, my cousins were obsessed with them when we were kids and the show was in reruns. I think my favorite song of theirs was "Steppin' Stone" just because every punk band I liked in the 80s did a cover of it.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.