The Mirai Nagasu thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by usova94gold, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I hope Mirai has resolved her boot issues (she was tweeting about them a few days ago, asking for advice on breaking them in asap IIRC). Crossing fingers that she has no URs or mistakes and that she has two great skates! :kickass:

No matter where she places I'll be rooting for Mirai all the way! :cheer2::respec::cheer:

2. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

I think it's sad that the media (most of the articles I have read) seems to be writing Mirai off, and not including her when mentioning potential Olympic team members. I can understand ranking Ashley and Gracie, and even to some degree Christina over her... but I think to mention Agnes and Courtney as possibilities and not include Mirai seems short-sighted.

3. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Agnes has been third at the last 2 Nationals. Courtney has looked pretty sharp so far this season, and much better than Nagasu did at Finlandia. She also placed much higher at Nationals. It makes sense people are giving those skaters more chance than Nagasu right now. It doesnt mean she cant potentially beat them though.

4. toddlj

But Mirai medaled at GPs and senior B's for the last two years, and has generally scored better internationally than Agnes has. Nagasu scored 164 at Finlandia, Agnes scored 147 at CoC, and Hicks scored 162 at SC. I don't see an argument for Agnes and Courtney to be so far ahead of Mirai.

5. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Go for a medal at NHK Trophy! :cheer2::cheer2:

6. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:kickass: :kickass: MIRAI!!!!!!!!!

7. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Go, Mirai! Give it your all! Wishing you a great couple of skates!

8. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realize Mirai's ranking had fallen so much... Now that I think about it, she hasn't been to a major international event since 2011! Even Radionova is ranked ahead of her!

Kick butt Mirai! I still have faith in you!

9. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I hope that it works in her favor, that she can perform without pressure and give great performances and possibly win one of those 3 spots. Notice that I didn't say win the 3rd spot. I, no matter how unpopular the opinion, still feel like 2, if not all 3 spots are up for grabs.

10. toddlj

Two confident programs would go a long way. She doesn't NEED to medal on the GP, just score well and stay in the mix. Gao, Zawadzki and Hicks will (likely) not medal on the GP either.
    Mirai just needs to peak at Nationals.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

Go Mirai

12. change of edge

change of edge New Member

Good luck Mirai! I hope she shows her doubters that she really is still in the mix.

13. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I hope she medals at the NHK.

I was one person who thought Mirai was going to be the leading contender going into Sochi. I thought she would have been World Champion by now. Nothing materialized for her. I just don't think she wanted the attention that comes with being the number one skater in the world.

They say with age comes wisdom. I'm hoping she holds it together this year and puts out some good performances. I do love her SP, but I want her to feel it. I don't want to just watch her chase her jumps. Go Mirai !

14. rosewood

I think to have a family member who was(still is?) seriously sick was really depressing. Moreover her mom was supporting her by driving hours to and back from Caroll's new rink. Mirai was going through puberty as well. So I think it was very hard for her to get things together. Then she changed her coaches/rinks and she started driving to the rinks by herself. I think she's doing very well. I believe she's trying to get things better at least. Hope she shows the good signs at NHK Trophy. Love you, Mirai! :cheer:

15. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I also thought she would be the leading contender for this years Olympics. I didn't think she would be a world champion, but after her performance at the Olympics and then placing 1st in the short program at worlds, I thought she would have Ashley Wagner's career plus a few world medals.

Also I think it was more she could not handle pressure vs not wanting attention.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I really want to see Mirai do very well at the nationals and make the Olympic team, then skate lights out at the Olympics.

17. os168

os168 Active Member

Good luck Mirai... !! I really want her to do well at NHK... really fight for it!!

Knowing where she stood within US Federation against their Golden Girl du jour Gracie here (Vs the Cover Girl Ashley), I'd fully expect her PCS will be moderate or low, and her jumps will get scrutinised like no tomorrow compare to some of the home favs if she put out a decent performance. I question if she'd really have a chance to medal since Akiko and Mao are likely to have priority IN Japan if they both do well and US is very likely to pull for Gracie. It'd be weird to see Frank sitting with Gracie instead of her at Kiss and Cry.
    For her, it is a matter of making sure she lands everything with no UR and put up a worthy Bond Girl fight in presentation and charm the heck out of the audience to get them on her side. ONLY then.... maybe...maybe she will have a fighting chance for that elusive 3rd spot at the Olympics and get a 2nd look by the US Federation. Elena is such a dark horse in this competition. Ideally, Mirai really need to get a medal at this competition, but her chances doesn't appear to be good on paper. I'd consider a 4th finish would be a good finish.... which is annoying. I want her to medal!

Her manner of delivering is almost more important than whatever the final ranking/medal colour she get. She should try to win at least one event, even though she will for sure to have REALLY tough competition at NHK.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  18. rosewood

19. change of edge

change of edge New Member

Mirai :( :( :(

Apparently she had an amazing warmup right before her skate too. Those pesky nerves!

20. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Mirai looked so good in the six minute warm-up, but it fell apart when the music and pressure was on .....

21. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

:( Mirai. I wanted her to do so well here!

22. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Not a good showing for her at all...those < and << are destroying her. She just can't seem to rotate anymore...

23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

She can rotate if no one is keeping score. This is hard to watch.

24. os168

os168 Active Member

Rrrrrrrrr......*fists in the air* scarlett ohara style.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

She nailed her 3-3, 3loop, and 2axel to perfection in the warm up. If she landed those in her sp, she would have been 60+

-.-

26. ManiDani

ManiDani New Member

On the bright side, I noticed Mirai smiling during the program and really completing her movements; I thought her ending position was especially gorgeous. I also liked that they added a transition with the layback Ina Bauer into the 3L.

I didn't watch the warm up, but I wonder why she did a 3-3 when her planned content listed a 3F2T.

27. toddlj

Yeah, I wondered that too; but she definitely did a 3-3 in the warmup. I optimistically thought she might change to a 3-3 because of it, but no. Her jumps looked rock solid in the warmup

28. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Which is usually the case in the warm up for Mirai. But as soon as it's go time she tenses up, backs off and ends up under-rotating...

29. darya_russian

darya_russian Active Member

Do her jumps look more fully rotated in the warm-ups?

30. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Whatever happens I hope Mirai still hangs on a few more years after Sochi. I'm still holding out for a Kostner/Wagner type renaissance in her 20s. Still love Mirai. I hope she pulls it together for the LP and ends up on a good note.

I thought she might have been having boot issues (since she was tweeting for last-minute advice on breaking them in) but that doesn't seem to be the case at all if she had a good warm-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.