The Mirai Nagasu thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by usova94gold, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I like that description.

2. purpledream

purpledream New Member

But it can be quite sad to conclude/judge a skater as such isn't it? Like being unfocused, poor work ethic, inconsistent... I mean in life we get frustrated when things don't go our way,and extenuating causes can disrupt our focus. I mean there is a lot of things we don't know about the skater's personal life and their struggles (although now we know about her mum's condition). But it is still not really much publicised and so, I mean it is quite harsh to judge like that? o: and it can be worse if the support/coaching team around her doesn't give her that kind of support as well.

Sighpie. This is certainly not an easy situation for Mirai, and to think it is yet another obstacle in her already tumultuous career.... Flowers for you m'dear :'l

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

In my mind the clear villain is the USFSA, but others may not see it that way.

IMO Mirai is too devastated to do well at 4CC, and when she falters, the boo birds will come out and say- see? We told you, she doesn't belong on the Olympic team if she can't even do well at 4CC. Nice way to ruin the career of a talented young skater, USFSA (sarcasm) and for what?

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh I hope you are wrong about Mirai. When is 4CC? Does she have time to put this behind her?

5. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

That is exactly what will happen if she skates poorly ... even if skaters with "a good work ethic" never do as well as she has done in the past.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Oh, there's a clear villain this time: the USFSA. And Mirai is the victim. (And, as should be clear to anyone who has read the recent thread here about the Whack, rightly or wrongly, victims do get criticized.)

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't see the USFSA as a villain. I see them as an organization that had tried to put together the best team to represent the country. In their opinion, those with a consistent track record in recent seasons, and not just the last competition, have more chance. I've already revisited Max/Jason at Worlds situation, saying that Max is a very recent US champ plus he has consistent quads (I'd still send Jason but OK). Mirai is not anything like this.

Please don't bring up pairs because I have no clue about them. Or bring them up and other could respond. :shuffle:

8. Vash01

Glad to see someone else sees it this way. Right now my general impression is that the media articles are seeing her as the victim, but that could change quickly if and when the USFSA and some skaters/coaches give some kind of explanation, no matter what it is. It's very easy to fool the media.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

That is the sort of thinking that would have resulted in sending Wagner instead of Nagasu to the Olympics in 2010. And does anyone seriously think that Wagner would have done as well as Nagasu then?

10. lulu

lulu New Member

Best of luck to Mirai at the 4CC! :)

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That was 4 years ago, might as well be 400 in figure skating terms. Completely irrelevant to the current situation. Wagner's record then was nothing compared to what it is now. Mirai had been the National Champion just 2 years prior. She was a different skater as was Ashley. Very different from now.

This.

12. Vash01

We made it to 1000- YAY! Time to start a cheer thread for Mirai. Since Rosewood had offered to do it, I won't interfere.

13. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Active Member

LOL at anyone comparing 2010 to 2014. Nagasu was actually the more accomplished skater between she and Ashley at the time. Ashley had the slightly better season pre Nationals as she capatilized on very weak assignments to make the Grand Prix final, but Nagasu was a former U.S Champion vs Ashley who had never finished higher than 3rd in a major event (not even World Juniors). Night and day difference between the two of them vs each other going into 2014 Nationals.

14. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

I started the MIRAI CHEER THREAD.

15. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

She really is. that's the positive in all of this - She sticks on the path she made for herself this year, she will be eventually rewarded and has everybody on her side (probably even judges if she skates well at 4CC). It sets her up perfectly for next season, but she has a difficult off-season decision ahead of her. Really looking forward to 4CC hope she can shake it off quickly! I like the Yuka idea, I think she would help her find her niche and hopefully find music she connects with in her competitive programs like in her exhibitions. She is so musical when it's music she can connect with, like a totally different skater in a lot of ways. Combine that with how her elements looked, there's no limit to what she could do with her skating.

16. Vash01

Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.