The Mirai Nagasu thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by usova94gold, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

2. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I think she is looking good for early August. Love the white boots! hopefully more will follow suit.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Personally, I like the FS better than the SP. The FS has the potential to be amazing. It looked like she was running out of gas during the second half. Interesting that her team is going for two flips and a lutz in the FS.

4. smarts1

I wouldn't be worried at all. Mirai is NOT a strong early seasons skater (ie just like during the 2009-2010 season and every other season she has had as a senior). She normally gets her act together by her second grand prix and the following events, so if she's not in better shape by then... Then I would be worried.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

ITA

Looking at the positive side. Her only glaring errors were a step out of the 1st 3loop. Of course there were probably some UR's and 2 footed landings in the LP but it's good sign to not see her sitting down on the ice. Also, for Mirai fans, the US ladies as of now gunning for #3 spot are not exactly bastions of consistency. We will see how Courtney handles being a new Senior skater and if Agnes can actually complete a clean let alone challenging LP

6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I think it was a decent competition for her. Sure it would've been better if her scores were higher and she didn't make as many mistakes (2-foots, URs) but what she did do I think she did well. The SP is nice and has potential and the FS has a lot of potential.

In order for her to make that FS really stand out she's going to have to bring a lot more attitude and personality to it. It did seem a little slow and incomplete in certain sections but once she trains it up more and starts committing to the music and the character, I think she could have a really nice program. She's going to have to sell it though. Because of the music she will be compared to Yu-Na. Yu-Na really embodied that Bond theme: her expressions, sexy/sultry attitude...she was that femme fatale. If that is the direction Mirai is trying to go for this program then she's going to have to dig a lot deeper.

It's good to see her stay on her feet but she definitely ran out of gas at the end as she usually does. Hopefully she'll continue to work on her stamina. I like what I see in her programs so far but hopefully by the time we see her on the GP the programs will be better and she'll be more relaxed/comfortable with them and will be able to bring them to life better than she did here. And hopefully she will have improved her stamina and will be able to limit some of errors as well.

7. change of edge

change of edge New Member

There are two main concerns I have at this point: 1) Mirai is still UR and 2-footing a lot of jumps, and 2) she does not carry a lot of reputation with American judges at this point. I'm sure if Ashley or Gracie competed here, they would get ridiculously high PCS, but Mirai's PCS was noticably lower than what she's been getting.

8. kwanatic

She is the only one who can change that. If she wants higher PCS then she is going to have to start landing her jumps correctly and delivering outstanding performances. She's not the US #1 or #2...not even 3 or 4. She's in the 5 thru 7 range which means she'll get no help from anyone. The only way she can raise her scores is by building her reputation. It's a very tall order for her but that's the only way she's going to get the PCS necessary to be competitive with the other ladies. It's all gotta come from her. Clean and inspired performances from Mirai can't help but score well. If she starts doing that consistently then her scores will begin to rise. But if the GP starts and she's made no improvements, she has no hope whatsoever of getting the third spot to Sochi.

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

A big problem with Mirai is that she consistently makes silly mistakes on elements that should come easily to her. Case in point, she flubbed the spiral sequence in her most recent LP at Glacier Falls. These constant lapses in focus are not going to go unnoticed by USFSA. She clearly under-rotated 3 jumps in her program (the 3Lutz, the 3loop which she stepped out of, and the 2nd 3flip). I also noticed that she lacked energy and got slower in the second half of the program. She needs to make a noticeable impact early on in the season if she wants to present a case for why she should be on the US team. Her suffering reputation is not going to allow her to just coast into Nationals; she needs to jump out of cruise control and gear into overdrive.

10. smarts1

Like what's been said before... You never know with Mirai. I don't think anyone thought that Mirai would make the Olympic team in 2010 when she skated the way she did at Glacier falls and again at her two GP events. But by the time Nationals came around, she was selling everything and her jumps were much improved. Mirai can come back, even if it's a tall order. It's been done before. Like Frank said in his recent interview, Mirai just has too much emotional baggage to deal with and he thinks that's the reason why she has had so many misses post Vancouver. But it's the Olympic year, and I'm sure she will work harder than before to bring everything together.

11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I didn't like either program.

12. olympic

ITA that Mirai is not going to get favorable PCS from US judges anymore and that she needs to start nailing her elements again to get back the credibility she's lost over the past few seasons. But, she has the natural abilities to do so. It's just a matter of doing it on the ice in competition. Yes, I know. She's not the most stable performer but she seems more determined the past year even if the US ladies' depth has increased between 2010 - 2014. We will see.

Also, don't forget, she starts out slowly as someone pointed out upthread. Last year, she was finally fully rotating the 3t-3t by NHK, so color me hopelessly hopeful :p

13. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Deleted - (Sorry, duplicate post)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  14. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

To me, the FS is another really disappointing choice of music. It is always kind of a loser move to copy a music idea used by a champion in recent memory (the James Bond theme in this case). To make matters worse, the music had really odd cuts, starting with the big sounds then dwindling to tedium instead of starting lighter and building to big. And (strike 3?) the choreo makes no real use of the music. It was so dull that in places it seemed almost as though the music recording had been slowed down. Not a single jump was placed on a musical climax, and the whole thing looked like another one of those programs where you could have dubbed in any music and had it look about the same. This skater can do much, much better than this with the right vehicle.

IMO she needs to dump this program and hire a new choreographer who understands the difference between skating to music and skating through it.

15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Is the Bond music the same as Yuna's from 2010?

16. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Don't like the Bond program. The only good thing about it was Mirai's costume.

She is SO slow, and she covered only 2/3 of the ice surface. The music cuts are bad and there is no building of tension---it's all at the same level, and not a high level at that. I agree she should ditch it and start over with something else.

17. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

You pretty much summed up what I saw too. I noticed the under-rotations and she looked slow to me. I hope she picks up some stamina.

18. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Ouch

19. kwanatic

Yeah those scores are not helping her case at this point. Mirai has a lot to do in the next couple of months and it's clear she will have an uphill battle. Courtney finished fourth at nationals last year and it's obvious she's starting off her season very strongly. Undoubtedly those scores are going to put her on the USFSA's radar...she might get that SA spot. She's made a really good impression and that is what Mirai needed to do with this competition. Even though it was a solid effort it's still nowhere near the level that it needs to be to be considered for Sochi. Yes it's still very early in the season for Mirai but it's still early in the season for Courtney and even Polina too, yet both were able to make a statement with their performances here. From all indications Mirai is right where she was at the end of last season: no better, no worse. Unfortunately that's been her problem for the last couple of seasons. She's stagnant.

I like that she went for the harder content in the SP but unfortunately the result was still the same. Mid 50s score. Maybe she should stick with the 3T-3T and the 3L. Do what you can do and do it well... that's the way to score high under this system.

Let's just hope she will make some improvements before the GP starts...my fingers are always crossed for her.

20. olympic

I don't think she started fully rotating the 3t-3t until NHK, though. Maybe Team Nagasu believes they can do the 3f-3t by late Fall?

21. kwanatic

I always feel iffy when people have trouble completing the easier stuff yet plan on doing even harder stuff. I'm glad she's trying to challenge herself but Mirai can't afford to "figure it out" on the GP. She has to be firing on all cylinders in every competition; she won't have the luxury skaters like Ashley and Gracie will have when it comes to making mistakes. They have reputation to carry them over a shaky performance...Mirai has nothing which means she'll drop like a rock in the standings.

The 3F isn't as good of a jump for her anymore. She changed her entrance from a 3-turn to a mohawk last season b/c of the edge calls she was getting and it appears to have corrected the edge but (to me at least) it looks like she's sacrificed some of the height and power on that jump. Tacking a 3T to the end of it doesn't seem like a good idea. The 3T-3T is easier but she'll have a much higher success rate than if she goes for the 3F-3T which, let's face it, has a very very small chance of being ratified for her. Her 3T-3T at nationals was fast, covered a lot of ice and was executed nicely. If she does that on the GP she could earn +GOE; same thing with her 3L versus her 3Lz. She'll more than likely get dinged on the 3Lz. I know it's still early in the season but she appeared to struggle with the lutz here (barely hung on in the SP, clearly 2-footed/URed in the FS).

Most likely she'd be looking at a 3F-3T<, 3Lz(e), 2A...that kind of skate would be peppered with -GOEs and leave her with less than she'd earn with a clean 3T-3T, 3L/3F, 2A. She has to play it smart if she wants to move up.

22. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I thought it was worth keeping in mind that Mirai had just returned from a week of touring in Japan. Touring is not training. Japan is like day/night different - so she was getting over jet lag. Good for her for putting her program out there at Glacier.

23. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Agree. It's a new program, start of the season, she just got back from touring Japan. I think it's a good 1st outing for Mirai, she looks quite fit too and determined this season. The surprise is how good Courtney Hicks is at the start of the season, and she'll definitely figure into the 3rd spot contention.

24. kwanatic

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of the way Mirai fought. She went for every jump, didn't bail out of anything, stood up on everything...but the results were not good.

I'd be a lot more inclined to write it off as jet lag/unprepared/etc. if I knew for a fact that this is not her level of skating. If Yu-Na showed up at a summer competition and had a weak skate, people would write it off as just a bad skate. As I said, Mirai doesn't get that benefit of the doubt. Everything she does from now until nationals will be heavily scrutinized because she is not a favorite. She has way more to prove than probably every other person in contention for that 3rd spot to Sochi.

I'm crossing my fingers that she was just tired and that's why she skated that way. I guess we'll have a better idea by her next competition...

25. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

This is all part of Mairai keeping her eye on the prize. You are correct. Touring is not training. The results indicate that she should have been training, not touring.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Touring is an opportunity to earn money for training, which is also very important.

27. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yes, not all skaters come from wealthy families that can easily afford to pay for training.......

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

29. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

THIS. The fact that the Nagasu family is not particularly wealthy has been well-documented.

30. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who provided links!

I'm a huge fan of Mirai's and I want her to get on that Olympic team - but I won't make excuses for her. The moment she stepped on competition ice she should have been prepared. IMO EVERY competition from here through Nationals is desperately important for her to try and gain back her reputation and the PCS scores that she once received. She has to have her jump issues resolved before the GPs. Of course, if she had to tour due to financial reasons there wasn't much she could do about it. But now that she's home I hope she really stays focused and works hard on her technique and improving her PCS.

ITA. Love Mirai, but this is the Olympic season and she doesn't have time to play. She really needed to be strong right out of the gates imo. I know the season's not in full swing yet but I don't like that she STILL has stamina and UR issues. And her scores were just not good.

I like her programs but don't love them - yet. Maybe by Nationals they'll have that special sparkle that only she can bring - when she's on. I'm crossing fingers for Mirai and hoping against the odds that she makes the Sochi Olympic team.

I don't like her SP dress but I do like the FS dress very much.

I do love that Mirai went for a 3f-3t in the SP and the 3lutz. :respec: I couldn't tell - did she take off on a proper edge on that lutz?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.