The Mirai Nagasu thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by usova94gold, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

That's one thing you can say for Mirai...despite her height/weight gain since her junior days, she hasn't lost any of her flexibility which is pretty impressive IMO.

http://www.charet.com/blog/uploaded_images/Mirai_Nagasu_Spin_2008_Junior_Worlds-798434.jpg

That's from junior worlds in 2008. She can still put her head on her butt today. :)

2. b-man

b-man Active Member

Icenetwork bio says Amy Evidente now primary coach, not Wendy Olsen. Amy was assistant last year. Also, Adam Rippon shown as choreographer for one of her programs. Maybe Mirai has better rapport with Amy and Adam, or maybe budgetary moves, probably both. Anyway, there were many complaints that big budget choreographers didn't give Mirai their best programs the last couple of years, so hopefully Adam's efforts will be just as good.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I believe Rippon has choreographed exhibition numbers for Mirai - I don't see his name listed in her Team USA bio on IN? Yes, Wendy Olson is no longer listed as her coach.

4. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Oh my gosh! I didn't realize which skater was Mirai at first! I thought she was the one with the tights over her boots in the back, before going backwards (before 3.00) and seeing she is now wearing her white skates with nothing over them (woo hoo!). For those of you who were similarly confused, she was the one in the middle.

Mirai looks GREAT and the new boot look REALLY suits her. I hope she keeps this look for competition and it wasn't just for this one event. It really improves her line and makes her skating look 'fresh.'

5. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Really excited about her free skate choice. Sounds like it could be a great vehicle and a huge crowd pleaser!

6. worldsnice12

worldsnice12 Member

Reportedly she landed 3F/3T,3Z and 2A at the Glacier Falls SP.
    I wonder if there were any UR's?Anyway,an ambitious layout for her as she sometimes gets edge calls on her flips and lutzes but I guess it's all or nothing this year!
    I am so happy she ditched the cover boots,I have waited for years!
    Cannot wait to hear more about her programs.

7. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

ITA with all of that. This is her last hoorah more than likely so I say go for broke, balls to the wall, all or nothing, put it all out there, and any other cliche phrase that means don't hold back and go for it. :)

8. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

Her SP .. I think it's lovely :) 3Z scary landing but she looks ready for another Olympics :DDDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJPTTRin2A

Her signature layback looks better now than last season :dog: / Lighter on the ice too

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Where did Mirai's spins go? :drama: But aside from this, she looks wonderful! She's been awfully :sekret: this summer...the focus she has put into her work is evident. :cheer2::cheer:

Mirai 2014 Olympics? ;)

10. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

That spread-eagle into 2A is really gorgeous! So happy to see Mirai lands 3F-3T in August.:cheer:

11. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

12. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Well, her program looks good. Now, if she would just inform her face that this is fun.........................she would be quite spectacular

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

And skate faster.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

That 3lz was because she was too close to the wall.

15. Eris

Eris New Member

??? Should she skate with a smile plastered on her face (like some US team members do) even when the music doesn't imply that? She expresses the music like she sees and feels it.

16. worldsnice12

worldsnice12 Member

Exactly!
    I was happy with the way she expressed this music,especially with her arm and body movements.
    It is an elegant program but then again,I was probably the only one who liked her LP from last season too!

17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Wow. Color me impressed especially this early in the season! The jumps suggest ambition this season - the 3t looked < and she had a little loss of control out of the 3z but I'm happy with what I see. What struck me is that despite any glitches on the jumps, she looked confident landing them, which means (I think) Amy Evidente is probably putting her through some great physical conditioning exercises to make her more solid.

18. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Exactly!

19. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think the complaint is that, recently, her face does neither. It mostly says something more along the lines of "grind it out, kid."

I agree those cardboard Nancy Kerrigan smiled pasted on skaters' faces are not compelling either, but the skater does need to look like what they are doing is effortless.

20. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

To be fair, I think Mirai was putting more effort into expressing the music during the performance and I caught glimpses of her smiling during the performance as well. It was much better than some programs from other seasons where her face was blank the entire time. She appeared to actually enjoy her in the video and that was good to see.

I agree with others who note that she could be faster. I hope that by the time the GP comes, her speed is markedly better.

The layback at the end was :swoon: and that 3F-3T looked good too. The 3T may have been a little < but I'm glad she is trying such a :kickass: combo and looking confident while doing it too. Overall, she looks to be in good shape and focused. I think Olympic seasons must bring out the best in her.

21. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

And spin faster. I am disappointed in the music choice. Kind of a snooze.

22. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

The SP construction was good. I think her combo spin looked slow only because she was thinking about the order of the positions, which is different from the past. Her planned content and level of conditioning/preparation is exactly what it should be. I will need to hear the music on a better recording to form an opinion ... but at least it is not Carmen :p

23. os168

os168 Active Member

Oooo I am getting excited! Mirai choosing BLUE in an Olympic season! Gooo Mirai!!
    She looks sooo good... vast improvement from last 2 seasons Nichol snoozefest. Love she went for the 3:3s! Take that Wagner.

I too am a bit iffy on the music edit, but it has potential if she can hit the phrasing properly. I love that she picked an American classic and not a Russian Composer like everyone else is doing - too cliche!

I am really curious on the FS for Bond now! Can't wait for a clip to become available. One of the best costume I have seen on her.

24. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Marai has such a spark within her. When she let's it shine (through her face as well as her body) (and I don't mean plastered smile) she just lights up the arena. I think she looks bored and robotic (only facially). It is acting, and she has that "it" factor when she turns it on. Haven't seen it "on" in a while.
    Love the LP dress.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  25. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

Honestly, I'm not too crazy about the dresses. :slinkaway

At least when she was with Frank, the dresses looked terrific. Now...they look too much like figure skating costumes to me. :shuffle: Like, ooh, let's add some ombré, oh and don't forget the splattering of silver Swarovski crystals!

Also, I'd like to say that I'm one of Mirai's biggest fans, but the costumes really could be a bit more sophisticated. Love the SP! Super classy and lovely. :gallopin1:gallopin1

26. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Podium blue!!!!!!

27. torren

torren New Member

James bond and Gershwin? uhh... It reminded me a bit of kim's Musics for the 2010 Olympics.. am i the only one?
    By the way I don't think James bond soundtrack would so well fit for Mirai. Besides, olympic is held in Russia... why? I really don't like this choice.
    Anway I wish her best luck for olympic season, get more love from US judges which she deserves

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  28. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Mirai finished 3rd at Glacier falls, 26+ points behind Courtney Hicks and 14+ points behind Polina Edmunds.

Courtney scored 63.39 in the SP and 122.47 in the FS. She is making a STRONG statement!
    Edmunds scored 56.37 in the SP and 117.23 in the FS.
    Mirai scored 56.67 in the SP and 102.32 in the FS --- very similar to what she scored in her first GP last season.

29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I really think that third spot if Gracie and Ashley make the team as we all expect will be between Courtney, Agnes and Christina. Alissa is simply getting to old and injured and Mirai can't seem to clean up her jumps. Younger skaters like Polina and Angela could surprise also.

30. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

That LP score has me worried.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.