The Mirai Nagasu thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by usova94gold, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

She's gotten slower lately. Particularly in the second half of her free skate...

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Do people think it's significant (as in impact on quality) that her reported on-ice training is 14 hours/week while other top ladies report about 20+?

3. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Could be, but maybe that's all she can afford right now. Her mother recently had an expensive illness, IIRC.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What, USFS can't cough up some :bribe: for her training? :rolleyes:

5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That's a good point; maybe she can't afford more than 14 hours of ice time per week. :(
    How much USFS envelope money did Mirai get for this season?

6. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I think Mirai was in envelope C this season so she didn't get add much as in past seasons.

7. mag

mag Well-Known Member

14 hours is probably just her ice time (2 free skates a day, 6 days per week plus a couple of spin sessions.) She probably has another 6 hours of off ice training (one hour per day.) It may just be the way it is being reported. That said, at her age and level I would think she would be doing three sessions a day at least three days per week.

ETA: in my experience it is not the ice cost that is expensive, it is the coaching time. I am sure Mirai is able to train a session without a lesson so the incremental cost of adding a couple of hours a week wouldn't be too much. Now, she may also be very focused during her practice and use the time she has to the maximum. Sometimes more time just ends up being more time spend circling the rink.

8. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I was thinking maybe that was a bit low but it could be due to finances.

I don't care what Mirai's body looks like either - but her skating seems to have suffered somewhat since she matured more. I don't see what the problem is. I think it's relevant. She may be struggling a little because she's not used to her new frame yet. Or it could be she's not getting enough numbers in as far as training hours.

9. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

She was quite the gracious trooper, the way she handled the computer glitch driven delay to the start of her Free skate at NHK.

Was sad for her that she did not then have as strong a skate, but she earned my admiration for having such equanimity and poise about the whole difficult and uncertain situation.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Nagasu is in the Team B envelope this season, like she was in 2012-13, due to having won a Grand Prix medal (2012 NHK bronze) last season.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks. I don't think that Amy Evidente is as expensive as Frank Carroll, right?

12. Sasha'sSpins

It's doubtful. Amy doesn't have nearly the same prestige or success as Frank.

13. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

This is still a rumor but I heard Mura's father, also his coach, offered Mirai to train at their home rink in Okayama, Japan, during the interval weeks between NHK and CoR. It sounded like he offered a help for her. I heard she trained with Mura under Mura's coach there. I've been wondering why he did.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She is no Kwan in 2004. :p

15. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Isn't that photo posted after NHK with Mura and his father?

16. rosewood

Yes. Mirai said her dream came true. It was just a bit surprising so I wondered if it was the only reason. But who knows. Maybe sometime later. ;)

17. Sasha'sSpins

You had to slip Kwan in didn't you? :p

If Mirai realized a dream of training in Japan with Mura it only makes me wish that some benevolent soul would step in and underwrite Mirai's training there 'til Nationals - and maybe beyond. :D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Where is she skating? Ice palace lists $12 for 45 minutes for freestyle. Sure, coaching is a lot more

than that, but that will really add up. (Adding 1 more session 5 days a week adds $3000 to the year! That only gets her to 17 hrs a week not yet 20.)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  19. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Sorry about that mistake. :eek:

20. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Wow! $12 for $45 minutes seems high. Is that a drop in rate? Surely if a skater is buying the session for the whole season they pay a lot less than that. I was thinking about what we pay, but then most of our rinks are in recreation centers that are owned by the City, not privately owned and run facilities.

21. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right- it is the drop in rate, I looked very quickly, didn't mean to be misleading- the contract rate is $10 per 45 minute session.
    http://www.avicepalace.com/Freestyle.html

Youtube tells me that Mirai skates at Pickwick rink.
    http://www.pickwickgardens.com/sqs/dsk.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=44
    There freestyle sessions are walk-on $13 for freestyle, with punchcards available that bring the rate down to $10 (or possibly $8.50 but that said not available).

Neither of the rinks appear to have season passes. The five rinks I've skated at have never offered that, I don't know if it is common in the U.S.
    A high ranking skater like Mirai may be able to get a better deal on ice, but not always. Many skaters will teach LTS in trade for free or reduced ice time for instance. Or a skater may allow the rink to use their name to advertise in exchange for a discount, much like a sponsorship, but this is not always available, especially at rinks with many elite skaters.

The point is just that adding even 1 session a day really adds up. To get the hours others are saying they skate, she'd need to add more than that. It is my understanding Mirai's finances have always been tight, however, that may or may not be the reason she has less on-ice time.

22. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Yes, I shouldn't have assumed. I guess we are very lucky up here. The other thing about ice time is it does depend how it is used. I've watched some elite skaters on their third session of the day, and there is not a lot of work going on. Mirai may find her current schedule gives her the balance she needs. Everyone is different. Hopefully finances are not holding her back, but she seems like a fairly private person so I don't suppose we will ever know.

23. reese

reese Well-Known Member

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ Here's the relevant excerpt:
    Refer also to rosewood's post #343 above.

25. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

willnotgetmyhopesupwillnotgetmyhopesupwillnotgetmyhopesup

26. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Sigh. I've tried this too but I still find myself hoping. Ashley apart, all the other US ladies have looked beatable this year, and there are 3 slots, so...

27. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Considering how improved Mirai looked in Russia, maybe she should consider training in Japan? Would they allow that or is that frowned upon? I don't know if Mirai still has family in Japan but if so it might help with expenses and whatnot. If she can get in a few skating shows this summer in Asia that might help bring in some extra money.

28. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

Wow, everyone said there was something going on between her and her coach. Why oh why didn't she leave sooner.

29. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Right?!

Itsnotlikeshecouldvepickedabettercountryorgroupofskaterstotrainwith...

30. rosewood

IIRC Mirai's grand parents live in Sendai area where people were affected by the Great Earthquakes. Okayama, where Mura and his coach(Mura's father) live, is waaay far from Sendai. I think the reason why Mirai trains there is Mura's family has known her personally for years. Mura moved to Okayama after finishing last season. He belongs to the company managing the rink since this spring. Also supposedly Mura will work as a coach there after retiring from competitions. IIRC no elite level female skater is under Mura's coach in this season. It's still a rumor but Mirai trained during the interval weeks between the two grand prix events in the evening public sessions and also the closed sessions for competitive skaters after the public sessions. I wonder if it's still an occasional situation till the end of this season.

Okayama International Skating Rink:
    http://www.ok-skate.com/
    fee:
    http://www.ok-skate.com/price

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.