The Mirai Nagasu thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by usova94gold, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mag

mag Well-Known Member

2. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Because... It's probably the same combo spin she's done for the past 2 competitions in both the SP and the LP... And those were all called as Level 4s. And Mirai normally always does way more than the minimum rotations required to get her features.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:shuffle: Details, details.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Can you explain how it is not a level 4 spin?

For Spin Combinations with change of foot all 3 basic positions are mandatory for Levels 2 – 4 in both Short Program and Free Skating. She did camel sit and upright.
    In any spin with change of foot the maximum number of features attained on one foot is two (2). She did a camel variation(1), sit variation(2), change foot different sit variation(1), then upright variation(2).

5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Mirai's SP was pretty good today! The jumps looked a lot better than they have for a while now! Not a terrific score, but very respectable still, and if she can continue to skate solidly her PCS should go up.

Anyways, I think she looks in shape and it's just clear that her body frame/build has become a lot sturdier compared to 2010 when she had just gone through puberty. It's pretty common for girls to fill out into their adult figures in their late teens and early 20s, that's why figure skating can be such a hard sport for girls to survive in, some of them get hit with a double whammy, struggling when they go through puberty and then again a few years later when they mature into their adult bodies. Some people are more genetically blessed in terms of body shape/frame size than others, Mirai has always had broad shoulders so her current build does not surprise me. Anyways, I think she looks as fit as Ashley Wagner and is just a bigger person, as Ashley has quite petite proportions as strong as she is. I hope Mirai can keep it up in the FS, the final Sochi spot looks pretty wide open at this point...

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

She had exactly 2 rotations in a forward catchfoot camel position, but then she pulled her foot at such an angle that it turned into a half beilman of sorts, which I suppose the caller felt was an upright position. If you compare it to NHK, her torso was definitely more upright here. At NHK her torso seemed more parallel to the ice with her head lifted. But this is a really slight difference, imo.

But still...she had (barely) 2 rotations in the camel position. I know you need 2 rotations to get credit for a DV. For the position requirement, it must be more than 2?

7. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I haven't watched this skate so I can't say. I do know it is not unusual to get different levels at different competitions. Just a 1/4 rotation short can make all the difference. I posted up thread the ISU requirements for levels if you are interested. It does say for combination spins she must achieve all three basic positions and the bullet is for all three basic positions on BOTH feet. I believe two rotations are needed to achieve the position and skaters get caught if they let their foot drop when they go for the catch foot camel. If they drop their foot, they need to have held the basic camel position for two full rotations.

8. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

9. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

I saw that too! Amy asks "are you happy with that score?" and Mirai shakes her head "no."

10. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

:lol: Mirai you make me crazy and thank you for proving me wrong :cheer: Now work work work like your life depends on it!

11. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Mirai skated very well today. I think a couple of "<" calls, but she was near-best in TES by tenths of a point to Murakami. The judges are telling her in the PCS that the performance and program are not at the level of the SS. Maybe they feel it does not show off her skating skills enough to get all 7.40-7.60 like her SS.

However, if pulling back on the performance a bit and just skating the program as if it were just another ho-hum run through at home means rotating and landing all the jumps and getting all the levels on the spins, I say do it! Fight for every rotation in jumps and spins and BEND YOUR KNEES more in EVERYTHING, and her PCS and TES will go up, and maybe she won't mentally lose it when the music is on anymore.

Gymnasts do it like this. Maybe she can also to improve her results.

12. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

so happy for her! Finally. :)

13. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Mirai :kickass::40beers:

14. smarts1

Congrats to Mirai on her medal!! And which one of you guys rudely told me off, argued with me saying I was wrong, and told me she was done after NHK? :rolleyes: It's never over till it's over.

And I'm so thrilled that Mirai only got one <! And on a double toe! None of her triples were deemed underrotated!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  15. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Awesome job Mirai! :kickass: Great fight back from NHK! Congrats on winning bronze woo-hoo! :cheer::respec::cheer2:

Now upgrade that 3-3 in the SP, get it back in the LP, rotate rotate rotate and EXPRESS yourself!! It's not over til it's over!

16. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Only one minor > and three level 4 spins for her in the free. Good job!

All she needs is a 2A+3T in the free, a combo she's hit a number of times.

Because in the end, a 2A+3T and 3F is worth the same as a 3F+3T and 2A.

17. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I don't believe I argued with you but I definitely thought she was done after NHK. I am so so so so SO proud of her for coming back fighting!! Way to go Mirai!!

18. smarts1

I don't think it was you, but it was definitely a combination of 2-3 people arguing with me telling me that Mirai was done. I hope you guys learn a lesson not to write people off after one bad performance.

19. os168

os168 Active Member

Rrrrrrrrr ahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......*fists beat chest* Tarzan style...

Meeee Beegfan, You.... Mirai!!

Big massive huuuge pleasant surprise! Sole US lady on the podium at mutha Russia!!! Be proud and be inspired Mirai! A completely unexpected delightful shocker! :swoon: Second highest TES and only 1x UR and 2 e calls? It is Absolut Vodka bloomin' Miraicle!

Please hang onto the mission of 3rd Olympic spot for dear life Mirai, and don't you ever EVER let it go!!! And for Elvis's sake add some grace lightening to your performance, wake up from that Miraicoma, :kickass: some Gracie/Ashley/Agnes ladies soon, you are more talented than many 'contenders' and please for goodness sake give us some proper Bond Thrill! Femme Fatale don't have to be that straight and boring, you are clearly mixing up your genres, this ain't some FBI girl, this iz BOND!!!! [See Yuna Kim Olympic SP 2010] Maybe you were trying your hardest doing your Diane Rigg thespian impression to not crack as smile, but really it need some bang up to date pizazz ala Spice Girls style! DOooooo something wild, mad, fun, spicy and bring that unique Mirai Spice spark you have in you somewhere!!! It ain't over until it is over baby! US Nationals... i will be watching you!!!

20. smarts1

Just watched Mirai's LP. All I can say is wow. All of her triples were fully rotated. Nothing even borderline <. The last time we've seen that was at 2011 4CCs and the 2010 Olympics! She's really putting in the work. It's obvious. They've really worked on making her go into the rotation quicker rather than delaying them as much. Just put more life into your performances Mirai!

What's interesting is her technical score tracker went all they way up to 61.44, but went down to 57.95 by the time her scores came out!

21. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Post of the year! :rofl: :respec: :biggrinbo

Please mail it to her.

22. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I was never rude to you but I was ready to give up on her after NHK and I am happy to eat crow. You were right. I was wrong. Hurray!

You are the one who pointed out her pattern of doing badly at her first GP and medalling at the second, right? Hats off.

23. Jarrett

Maybe the training in Japan really helped. Maybe she can train there until Nationals. lol

24. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Something about the Olympics really lights a fire under her. :D Technically it shouldn't be possible to be THAT MUCH improved in two weeks... But she was. :) The jumps were like an off-season difference in quality. With the way this season is shaping up in the US, she's a contender again for the team. But this next month, every single day, every minute spent in training, REALLY REALLY MATTERS. I love you no matter what Mirai, but gurrrrrl you need to werk. :cheer2:

25. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

In the press conference after Rostelcom, she said "some people" had spoken to her about commitment after NHK and she wanted to show she's committed to the sport.

So, um, to improve that much in 2 weeks means that she was underachieving 2 weeks earlier. But we knew that :)

Good for her, so much to be proud of. Sometimes fighting through when you are not at the top - but used to be - takes more strength than handling the pressure of being #1. I hope she realizes what she achieved this week and is proud of herself.

26. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

^I'm with you, Coco. Especially about what she said in the press conf.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  27. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

'Wake up from the Miraicoma'! Love it!! :rofl: And you're right - it's a Miraicle!!

Please say you'll tweet your post to Mirai - STAT! She'll know it's meant with love! :D

^^^
    THIS!

I'm wondering if Mirai's boot issues just before NHK were resolved and it was a part of why she jumped better at COR? What I mean is, Mirai never really came out and said AFAIK that the new boots which she was trying to break in just a few days before Rostelecom were the reason that she didn't do well at NHK.

I just hope that the USFS gives Mirai a chance if she nails her programs at Nationals. I don't want to see skaters who fall, etc. held up over her if she does great. I'm still afraid it might happen.

os168 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Jarrett

29. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Many congrats to Mirai! :encore:

30. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Just looking at that exhibition, I have to ask, who is skating better than this currently? I read somewhere that Adam Rippon choreographed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.