The Mikhail Kolyada appreciation thread

Sylvia

TBD
Kolyada shows different side of Russian skating
Russian silver medalist says he considers himself half artist, half athlete

Posted 2/1/16 by Jean-Christophe Berlot, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/01/30/163359272
On the global scene, Kolyada has managed to create programs that are both technically packed, original and entertaining -- quite a challenging task with the number of elements required in today's skating.

"Well, that's what I try to do, have both a technical and entertaining side to each of my programs. I must admit that I'm not interested in watching programs that all look alike," he said.
"Currently, I would say that my quad is about 60-percent reliable," Kolyada said. "It would be great if it were 100 percent, but I do what I can!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I like him. I saw his LP skate on TV, rather than on my computer (it seems to make a difference).

He has a lot to work on, but I liked his jumps and the overall cleanness of his skating. I didn't feel that he was either slow or superfast, but there is always room to improve. He has good jump technique. He definitely needs a consistent quad (or two) to move up. I see a little of Kulik in him (3A) and a little of Klimkin. He will develop his own style eventually. It was nice to see him do well at the Euros.

About him being half athlete/half artist- how is that different from other Russian skaters? Better still, how is it different from any high level skater? (I have not read the article, just read the headline).

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
With more consistency on the quad and exposure on the international scene, I think Kolyada can pass Kovtun in the ranks. To me he's just much more complete than Kovtun. Kovtun can do difficult jumps, but I've never found them very aesthetically pleasing as he jumps with his back and always seems gangly out on the ice. They are also the same age. Kolyada has tremendous quality in his jumps, especially the 3a and 3lz, and also hits great positions in his spins and excels in steps. He also has charisma and just an overall pleasing/fun presence on the ice, I think with the right programs he can start developing his artistic side more. Hope he can have a good showing at Worlds. I thought his PCS at Euros were a bit low, but with his limited international exposure and nervy SP I understood where they came from. Still, the 5 point PCS gap between him and Kovtun in the FS was not justified IMO. Kolyada had a great skate and even with lowball PCS managed 3rd in that segment.

Mikhail seems like such a great guy, wishing him success in the future!

S

SmallFairy

Great SP! Really a delight, and how cute was he in the K&C being happy with his scores. I love both his programs this season, they both have a very good concept that fits him and make him stand out.

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
I had no idea who he was and then I saw him in practice, landing his stuff & how. So charismatic, superior SS, speed, level 4 everything.

Someone please explain to me why he isn't the number 1 Russian.

:respec: :encore:

Because TAT only has eyes for Kovtun?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Because TAT only has eyes for Kovtun?
Kovtun may be TAT's pet but she is also very very supportive of Kolyada. She praised him a lot after his SP where she compared his jumping ability to Baryshnikov's ("I've never seen a lutz like this. He really HANGS there in the air like Baryshnikov used to do.") and she also said nice things about him at Russian Nats. I have the impression that she is very fond of Mikhail and his coach.

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
Kovtun may be TAT's pet but she is also very very supportive of Kolyada. She praised him a lot after his SP where she compared his jumping ability to Baryshnikov's ("I've never seen a lutz like this. He really HANGS there in the air like Baryshnikov used to do.") and she also said nice things about him at Russian Nats. I have the impression that she is very fond of Mikhail and his coach.

Thank you. I generally have no idea what TAT is saying during her commentaries.

znhurston

That's good to hear but I sure hope TAT keeps her hands off Kolyada!

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
That's good to hear but I sure hope TAT keeps her hands off Kolyada!
There is no need to worry about that. He and his coach have both stated in an interview that a bunch of other coaches had tried to lure him into their groups but Kolyada always declined. He underlined that he is loyal to Chebotareva, so I don't think he will leave her group. Moreover, although his coach and choreographer are barely known, they managed to make such a fabulous skater out of him and in addition to that he is one of the only few Russian guys to have awesome programs this season.
I also can't see him moving to Moscow because he is a real St. Petersburg dude ;)

znhurston

There is no need to worry about that. He and his coach have both stated in an interview that a bunch of other coaches had tried to lure him into their groups but Kolyada always declined. He underlined that he is loyal to Chebotareva, so I don't think he will leave her group. Moreover, although his coach and choreographer are barely known, they managed to make such a fabulous skater out of him and in addition to that he is one of the only few Russian guys to have awesome programs this season.
I also can't see him moving to Moscow because he is a real St. Petersburg dude ;)
That's good to hear, especially the part about him being a "real St. Petersburg dude."

screech

He was absolutely brilliant. His jumps are textbook perfect, and I loved his quirky moves that fit perfectly with the music. Often quirky moves annoy me because they seem 'too much', but his just worked wonderfully. And The Nightmare Before Christmas music could have seemed junior-ish, but he made it work so well.

So happy for him and looking forward to seeing what he does next year!!

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I had seen "Nightmare before Christmas" before at some point, but his skate at Cup of Russia inspired me to watch it again and then I totally understood what his program is about which lead me to ubering him even more :lol:.

bronwynsings

So proud of him! Definitely my favorite discovery of this season, I love that he goes for programs that are outside the box and does things differently. His jumps have such great technique and are so sound as well.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I need to watch Nightmare Before Christmas now. I knew some of the songs at least.

TBH I'm really looking forward to reading Plushy's tweets about him and Kovtun. :rofl:

Why wasn't TAT speaking at all during his skate? After the US broadcast I ran to youtube expecting her to be orgasming and cheering him on and nothing til he was done!

Cachoo

I need to watch Nightmare Before Christmas now. I knew some of the songs at least.

TBH I'm really looking forward to reading Plushy's tweets about him and Kovtun. :rofl:

Why wasn't TAT speaking at all during his skate? After the US broadcast I ran to youtube expecting her to be orgasming and cheering him on and nothing til he was done!

Cherub...your name reminds me of him. He is adorable. And so watchable. Looking forward to seeing him for years...

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
TAT is only very chatty during the programs when she doesn't care about the skater :lol: For the others she sometimes even turns off her microphone or is very quiet indeed.
She praised Misha after his skate though.

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
Who is TAT's sidekick? The guy who sighs all the time and sounds so bored and over-it-all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information