The Matt Savoie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aemeraldrainc, Apr 27, 2012.

1. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Fiance. His name is Brian.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The May issue of SKATING magazine isn't online yet, but should be available in the near future: http://www.usfsa.org/About.asp?id=467

Congratulations to Matt and Brian! :)

ETA link to this ISU educational video that used part of Savoie's 2006 Olympic FS to illustrate the purpose of choreography: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RCrYUskuss

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia for posting that educational video. It was great to see Matt's The Mission used as an example of purposeful choreography, and also Sale & Pelletier's Love Story!

4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I wish Matt had gotten the PCS marks he deserved while competing, could have made a big difference in his accomplishments, he deserved to win more medals in his career than he did IMO. His scores for good skates were almost always lowball, so much to admire about his skating. His 3a put Lysacek's to shame and his posture and flow was just wonderful.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish them much happiness in the years ahead.

Sylvia, thanks for reminding me of the video.

6. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I can't wait to read the article (I'm always in the later half of receiving my Skating Magazine)!

I'm thrilled to learn that his 2005 Short Program is his favorite, as it is my favorite program of his and that particular Nationals performance was so thrilling to watch. I identify Bernstein's "Adagio for Strings" (that music) with his program to this day...

7. jennysk8oboe

jennysk8oboe Active Member

Actually that was Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. Loved Matt's program to that music.

8. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Doh :duh:. You're correct. The version on my iPod is of the New York Philharmonic performing it, lead by Bernstien... so his name is the one that's always popping up on the screen -- and not Barber.

9. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Awww, congrats to Matt on his engagement!

10. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I wish a world of happiness, peace, and love to Matt and Brian. :swoon::D

11. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

:D

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

13. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Oooh, Matt's husband is cute! Congrats to both of them.

14. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was a really lovely celebration!! Many happy years to them!

15. skatesindreams

A long and happy life to them!

16. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Much happiness and success to them :)

17. Eeyora1

Eeyora1 New Member

I had the pleasure of waiting on Matt when he came into my store in Boston. I recognized him but I couldn't believe it was him until I checked his card. I was ecstatic. I may have scared him because I was so excited but he seemed surprised I recognized him because he thought it was so long ago. He was very nice and good looking.

18. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the article link, I hope Matt & his husband have a long & happy marriage. :)

19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Matt and Brian! Thanks for posting the link, Sylvia. What a thoughtful approach they both took to planning their wedding. It must have been such a poignant, joyful, and lovingly intimate occasion. Great to see both Matt and his husband proud of their union and proud of living in a state that honors love and partnership between two human beings, regardless of gender and sexual identity.

Eeyora1, thanks for sharing that story about meeting Matt in your store. He's always seemed to be so modest and understated, but quietly confident in his abilities. Right, it really doesn't seem that long ago that Matt competed (wasn't 2006 Olympics his last season?). I'm certain the memory of Matt's great performances will remain in the hearts and minds of his fans for a very long time. :saint:

20. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Congrats to Matt & Brian! Wishing them many years of happiness!

21. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Cheers to the happy couple! I hope they have a long wonderful life together!

22. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Many happy wishes to the newlyweds! I hope they enjoy many years of married life :)

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Congrats to Matt and his husband.

24. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Matt and Brian!

25. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Matt and Brian!

It's always nice to be reminded of Savoie, one of my favorite US men's skaters. I will always remember his superb Olympic skate.

26. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

I'm so happy I could cry. I remember seeing Matt not once but twice at the hotel after Nats in 06 and professing my love for him (and his skating) lmao. He was gracious. I think I also saw him at Whole Foods and I was too shocked to say anything.

27. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Cross-posted from the Tom Dickson interviews thread. Thanks, Sylvia.

Excerpt:

Q: You have worked with some of the best skaters in the U.S. and World over the years, including Yuna Kim, Jeremy Abbott, Matthew Savoie, Racheal Flatt, Vaughn Chipeur, Parker Pennington and countless others. Who was the most naturally talented skater you ever worked with? The most improved? The funniest?

A: I would have to say that Matt Savoie has to be the most naturally gifted skater I have worked with. His sense of personal expression, aesthetic form and artistry took time to bloom but he was so incredibly gifted physically. He landed the first triple axel he ever tried! He had knees that could do amazing things...like jump! Matt could use his knees like a grasshopper! Matt was also very limber and this enabled him to do many things physically that most men in skating simply cannot. He was and is innately intelligent and intellectual and these traits really helped him flourish in the latter years of his career, as he developed artistically.

28. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:cheer: :cheer2:

29. skatesindreams

Tom spoke the truth!
    Matt's gifts are much missed.

30. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

He was such a beautiful skater. Such great glide, smoothness, elegance, and passionate interpretation of the music. He was way undermarked but after awhile I almost didnt care as long as I got to see his beautiful skating many times over. Since he atleast stayed top 5 in the U.S and got to compete at alot of internationals I did.

It was great he finally made the Olympics and Worlds in his final ever season though. What a great way to go out.