The Mao cheer thread #3 - "For the love of skating"

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I hope Mao will be able to grow really well with her pros for this season. I was so hoping to see them this year live but everything has not gone as what I've wished: no Sapporo stop for The ICE and no Japan Open. And from watching her EX, even the flawed one they showed initially, it's something that made me wish I can really see live.

Do you think there will be a chance she'll go to the Asian Winter Games in February? That's probably the only other chance I got for this season.
I think there are possibilities that she'll be sent to AWG. I'm torn between two thoughts - I wish you'll able to see her in a competition but I wish she'll be able to go to 4CC instead and earn ISU points as well as get a chance to skate at the Olys venue beforehand.

My thoughts posted on the previous thread:
It seems many of her Japanese fans wish her skipping JO this year. Some wish her participating in a B competition to receive ISU points in order to skate in better starting order in SP at Worlds rather than skating in JO where she can't receive any ISU points.

One event I'm truly worrying about this season is Winter Asian Games (Feb 23-26, in Sapporo, Japan). JSF announced they'll respect skaters' wishes due to the tight schedule at the stage of the season. They also said "that said" they wish they'll send top skaters including national champions to WAG. JOC asked every federation to send their top athletes to the event as well. The best scenario for Mao must be winning Nationals and JSF accepting her wish to skip WAG in order to skate at 4CC which is held at the Olympic venue in Korea. The second best must be winning a silver or a bronze at Nationals and JSF send the national champion together with a up-and-coming skater to WAG (two spots for WAG), and Mao will be sent to 4CC together with the other medalist and another up-and-coming skater (three spots for 4CC).

JO (Oct 1, Saitama)
SKAM (Oct 21-23, Chicago)
Trophée de France (Nov 11-13, Paris)
GP final (Dec 8-11, Marseille)
Nationals (Dec 22-25, Sapporo)
4CC (Feb 15-19, Gangneung)
WAG (Feb 23-26, Sapporo)
Worlds (May 29- April 2, Helsinki)

Mao related events updated (she's already entered to the bolded ones)
Finlandia Trophy (Oct 6-10, Espoo, Finland)

Nationals (Dec 22-25, Sapporo Osaka)
WAG (Feb 23-26, Sapporo)

ETA:
Correction: This season's Nationals takes place in Osaka.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I didn't post this on the THE ICE thread in GSD, but during THE ICE tour in Nagoya her sponsor company Arsoa hosted a "special party" - kind of a secret mini ice show where Mao, Mai, Patrick and Shoma skated. Arsoa invited about 4,000 people :eek: from their customers by lottery. Arsoa showed an encouraging video to cheer her up on the start line of this season in the end of the mini show. The crowd held up the hand banners all together that Arsoa prepared for the show. And it made Mao tear up. Awwww Arsoa posted some of the photos from the scene on their FB.
https://www.facebook.com/arsoahonsha/photos/pcb.1096136293755146/1096138433754932/?type=3&theater

It's always nice to see she's loved by her her fans as well as sponsor companies. People inside of the companies are human after all. :) Go Mao!! :cheer: Here we are to root for you!

gotoschool

rosewood, didn't you post that Mao's last performances in The Ice would be aired sometime in September? Did Mao only perform the New Jupiter along with Ritual Dance in these last shows or did she also perform her Bach Cello Suite exhibition? I hope we get to see some more performances from The Ice and at least some in HD quality. It seems that each year it is becoming more and more difficult to see Mao's performances of The Ice. I hope that once Mao retires from competition, it won't be too difficult to see her new performances if she decides to continue skating exhibitions. I imagine Mao doing some of her best performances once she leaves the COP system when she can express herself with more freedom and no hawk eye scrutiny.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
rosewood, didn't you post that Mao's last performances in The Ice would be aired sometime in September? Did Mao only perform the New Jupiter along with Ritual Dance in these last shows or did she also perform her Bach Cello Suite exhibition? I hope we get to see some more performances from The Ice and at least some in HD quality. It seems that each year it is becoming more and more difficult to see Mao's performances of The Ice. I hope that once Mao retires from competition, it won't be too difficult to see her new performances if she decides to continue skating exhibitions. I imagine Mao doing some of her best performances once she leaves the COP system when she can express herself with more freedom and no hawk eye scrutiny.
She skated both Jupiter and Cello Suit in Kitakyushu. Reportedly she skated them well there. So I'm expecting we'll see a good performance of Cello Suit posted on YT or DM (hopefully YT for you gotoschool). Kitakyushu show will be aired on Sept 3.

_____
ETA:
Re the mini ice show I posted above, people tweeted she skated Cello Suit and Asada sisters' collaboration program to Going Home. She skated the both two pretty well. So it's just the two skates, the first showcase of Cello Suit on the first day of the tour and the first showcase of her new SP where someone shouted just before her take off of the opening axel, that Mao made major mistakes. In all other programs she skated quite well.

Last edited:

roma

I think there are possibilities that she'll be sent to AWG. I'm torn between two thoughts - I wish you'll able to see her in a competition but I wish she'll be able to go to 4CC instead and earn ISU points as well as get a chance to skate at the Olys venue beforehand.

---
Mao related events updated (she's already entered to the bolded ones)
Finlandia Trophy (Oct 6-10, Espoo, Finland)

Nationals (Dec 22-25, Sapporo)
WAG (Feb 23-26, Sapporo)

Nationals will be in Sapporo?!?! omg! If I'm following my usual winter schedule I'm gonna be working till the 24th. 25th and 26th will be my days off. I can go on the 25th!

True, 4CC will earn her ISU points so it will be a good chance for her considering she skipped 4CC last season.

Rosewood, can I ask a favor please... If you know when the tickets for nationals will be released can you please let me know or post it here? お願いします。

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Nationals will be in Sapporo?!?! omg! If I'm following my usual winter schedule I'm gonna be working till the 24th. 25th and 26th will be my days off. I can go on the 25th!

True, 4CC will earn her ISU points so it will be a good chance for her considering she skipped 4CC last season.

Rosewood, can I ask a favor please... If you know when the tickets for nationals will be released can you please let me know or post it here? お願いします。
I'm sorry it was my mistake. Sapporo was last season. This season's Nationals will be held in Osaka. I don't know how I made this silly mistake. Here is JSF's page of Nationals 2016.
http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsnew/detail.php?id=3027&sports_id=2&type=event

ETA:
@roma, maybe it's difficult for you to go to Osaka, but anyways, last season's pre-sale started from October 20th and the general release started from November 7th. I assume they'll start selling around the time when they did last season. Here is 2014-2015 season's announcement from JSF. It's published on Dec 10th. Maybe this season's announcement will be published around the time too.
http://skatingjapan.or.jp/image_dat...e/AllJapan/14AllJapan_summary_information.pdf

Last edited:

tamms

Too bad I'm visiting Japan after Nats. But I am visiting Nagoya during my trip! Does anyone know of any spots in Nagoya or anywhere else in Japan where I can find some Mao-related goods? My friend sent me a Ghana chocolate clear file of Mao, but I'd love to find some more to add to my collection. :)

cohkaix

Too bad I'm visiting Japan after Nats. But I am visiting Nagoya during my trip! Does anyone know of any spots in Nagoya or anywhere else in Japan where I can find some Mao-related goods? My friend sent me a Ghana chocolate clear file of Mao, but I'd love to find some more to add to my collection. :)
I was in Nagoya for The ICE. It was only a short trip but thanks to a friend who's also a Mao fan (and is quite familiar with Nagoya), we had great time visiting some spots that are 'Mao-related', such as this diner famous for 'Mao fried rice' right by Osu Ice rink (where Mao used to train when she was young and also during this summer):
http://tabelog.com/aichi/A2301/A230105/23007778/
There are also several cafes that sell shaved ice, which Mao LOVES! As for Mao-related goods, one thing comes to my mind is the MaoMao brand (such as MaoMao x Arena sportsware). My friend found it on sale at one of the department stores near Nagoya station. As for file folders, I think those might be only for a specific time and not sure if you can still get them from any actual store (perhaps can try to find them online though). But who knows maybe Ghana will come up with some new file folders later on.

tamms

@cohkaix Thanks for the detailed response! I'll be sure to check out Gorakutei, already saw the autographs from Mao and Midori on the site that you linked. *_* Ah, how could I forget MaoMao? Will check that out too. Thanks again!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Kitakyushyu show was just aired. This is the new costume for Cello Suit.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/771941236001341441/pu/vid/1280x720/4Lsu9di-pIqd1zZk.mp4

ETA:
The flip and loop are gorgeous. Kitakyushu rink is bigger than Nagoya's which was almost square.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/771941981622767616/pu/vid/1280x720/UpX-THyCcNmtFrtY.mp4

Jupiter ver.2 with Tensho Akama (the only boy) and the same girls from Sendai as she skated with in NHK's special exhibition show for supporting 3.11 disaster victims. I wish they showed more of Tensho so that we can see how he as well as other girls grew since the NHK's show in January.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/771949666644660224/pu/vid/1280x720/3kop50AbmECVLttk.mp4
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/771951226455986176/pu/vid/1280x720/rX7reQ2TMyhx-YM7.mp4
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/771951889181184001/pu/vid/1280x720/hfU_TYA8_XIrrJat.mp4
:swoon::swoon::swoon:

A glimpse of Going Home with the impressive fabric. :inavoid: Using the fabric was Mao's idea. Reportedly she suggested lots of ideas in choreographing this number. I hope someone will post the whole program on somewehre.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/771937652035710976/pu/vid/1280x720/DAx1byxJFm-c7WUB.mp4

Last edited:

gotoschool

I love this new costume and program so much. I think it is a delightful combination of the classic and modern like the new costume which is more beautiful because of the the sleek dress with slits in the skirt giving it a modern look and the pleats giving it a classic look. Plus, It compliments Mao's figure more and gives her more freedom of movement because it looks lighter and looser and her performances matched this because she was more relaxed and had more dynamic range and more acceleration and commitment in her jumps. Every element flowed smoothly and elegantly into one another with no separation. Her movements are incredibly intricate, symmetrical and beautifully refined with completion and full extension. It is like a combination of the best that school figures, rhythmic gymnastics and ballet have to offer all rolled out on the sharp blades of Mao's skates with fine athleticism and aesthetic precision, as she prances through a dazzling array of twirls, pirouettes, illusion spins, precise turns, holds her blade in an arc through an arabesque and throws in a gorgeous triple flip, loop and double axel. The skating skills are stellar. Her arm movements are lovely and refined. One of the most beautiful exhibitions I have ever seen. I think Mao is in her own league.

I saw the link on the last page of Mao's fan thread on goldenskate forum. I didn't want it to get taken down so I am not going to post the link, since it is unlisted.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I love this new costume and program so much. I think it is a delightful combination of the classic and modern like the costume which is more beautiful with the sleek look making it look modern and the pleats giving it a classic look. Plus, It compliments Mao's figure more and gives her more freedom of movement because it looks lighter and looser and her performances matched this because she was more relaxed and had more dynamic range with a slower beginning and more acceleration and through her jumps. Every element flowed smoothly and elegantly into one another with no separation. Her movements are incredibly intricate, symmetrical and beautifully refined with completion and full extension. It is like a combination of the best that school figures, rhythmic gymnastics and ballet have to offer all rolled out on the sharp blades of Mao's skates with fine athleticism and aesthetic precision, as she prances through a dazzling array of twirls, pirouettes, illusion spins and precise turns and holds her blade in an arc through an arabesque. The skating skills are stellar. Her arm movements are lovely and refined. One of the most beautiful exhibitions I have seen.

I saw the link on the last page of Mao's fan thread on goldenskate forum. I didn't want it to get taken down so I am not going to post the link, since it is unlisted.
Yeah. I know a few more videos of Mao's programs from Kitakyushu show uploaded by the same person but they are private so I can't post them here.

alexikeguchi

Guys! It's just announced that next season's GP final which could be Mao's final appearance at GP final takes place in Nagoya, Mao's hometown! Ahhh I. WANT. TO. GO! If only things allow and lucky enough to successfully win a race in the ticketing battle. :shuffle:

I'm so jealous even of a chance to see Mao! I only had the opportunity to see her once live, at Worlds this year, though the beauty of her Madama Butterfly performance will linger for a long time. I hope you succeed in winning the ticket lottery!

clairecloutier

Here's a link to what I consider a very beautiful drawing of Mao: https://yoshtsh.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/mao-asada-2/. It's by figure skating artist Yoshie Shibaike (also known as Yosh-tsh on Twitter).

I feel like this drawing captures the seriousness, the purpose, that Mao shows in practices and warmups, before she competes.

NOTE: This picture must not be used anywhere without the artist's permission.

clairecloutier

While this one looks good... a classic with a modern twist, I think I prefer the old costume despite the frills. For me it went better with what she was trying to portray.

Yes. The original dress relates to the time period in which the music was composed. It may not be exactly period-specific, but certain aspects of the dress echo, or make you think of, that period. The new dress is nice but modern, and therefore doesn't feel connected to the music the way the first dress did. I like the first dress. :)

gotoschool

One of the things I like best about Mao's performances is how they make me think outside the box and see things in an innovative way, which I think is the hallmark of great artistry. I believe Mao specifically said she was aiming for a mix of something modern and classical in her Cello Suite performance. The old costume while really nice seemed strictly classical almost like a period piece to me and I didn't feel as much of Mao's unique character in the new costume or in the first performance I saw. I believe she said something like she wanted to take a musical piece that was a bit lacking in dynamics that made her work to give it her own interpretation and allowed her to fill in her own spaces. Mao loves jazz dance and this reminds me a bit of what a jazz soloist, like a trumpet or saxophone player does when improvising on a rhythm and melody laid down by a piano and giving it their own interpretation that compliments and enhances the original. Though I liked Mao's first performance in in the first costume, it seemed a bit cautious, unlike the second performance in Kitakyushu. I felt Mao really opened up in this performance and gave her own interpretation with more vitality and confidence. Consistence with this, the flow in and out of the jumps, coupled with their great height, distance and elegance created marvelous continuity in between the elements. I am glad that Mao eventually changed her first Puttin on the Ritz costume last season because it seemed like it was constraining her movements too much, which I thought might be causing trouble with her jumps and concentration in her performances (besides the one at Worlds was more beautiful). While the first Cello Suite costume didn't look that heavy, the frilly material looks as if it would create more interference because it is less aerodynamic, whereas I think the light, sleek material in the new outfit gives Mao much more freedom of movement and expression. Besides, Mao looks more youthful and beautiful to me in the new costume.

I didn't think a lot about costumes affecting the quality of Mao's performance until I heard something about Mao's first Rach II costume that she wore at Skate America being a bit stiff, hard to move in, or heavy. I really can't remember which, so Mao wore a black and blue costume, until a new one that looked almost identical to the original blue one was made. I think it may have been a gift from Tatiana Tarasova, but I can't remember. The new costume was one of her most beautiful and gave her the freedom to display some of her greatest quality of skating ever in the Sochi LP and Worlds LP.

Here is a beautiful edit from Mao's Ritual Fire Dance performance:

https://67.media.tumblr.com/2c7350c8f4e26e4bae11426c6a6d4ba0/tumblr_obhyk6Ieiy1qfbp2ao1_540.gif

Last edited:

gotoschool

Here's a link to what I consider a very beautiful drawing of Mao: https://yoshtsh.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/mao-asada-2/. It's by figure skating artist Yoshie Shibaike (also known as Yosh-tsh on Twitter).

I feel like this drawing captures the seriousness, the purpose, that Mao shows in practices and warmups, before she competes.

Here is the photo that inspired the wonderful drawing representing Mao's purpose and commitment which you posted. Thanks to yhmafan who called it Samurai Mao: http://41.media.tumblr.com/7d9b6270fd65e27d5a4ce9e285fa4dd9/tumblr_nt0dhp0kbY1uv57j0o3_r1_540.png

Here is a picture I actually like even more in terms of intensity: http://blog-imgs-51.fc2.com/m/a/q/maquis44/20130428003447511.png

and these two even more: http://www.globaltimes.cn/attachment/100328/bc3186b4df.jpg

http://jto.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/p14-jack-a-20131107.jpg

original post: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38067-Mao-Asada/page121 #1804

Here is also a beautiful photo shoot with Mao with her comments from last year: https://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=Q4emE48BI8E&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mClmwIs8JfQ

And here is Mao's FS when she won Junior Worlds in 2005 at 14 years old. Great combination of power, grace and marvelous skating skills with the first triple axel at Junior Worlds by a woman and a lovely change of edge spiral. Mao displayed a wonderful balance between classical and modern "charm," skill and expression in this performance just as she does in her latest Bach exhibition : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbPbbUeQ3Kw

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Yes. The original dress relates to the time period in which the music was composed. It may not be exactly period-specific, but certain aspects of the dress echo, or make you think of, that period. The new dress is nice but modern, and therefore doesn't feel connected to the music the way the first dress did. I like the first dress. :)
I know what you mean, but the first dress obscured Mao and her movement, while the second obscures the character of the piece. i vote for some sort of practice dress such as Balanchine often used in great classical ballets like Apollo and Concerto Barocco (to Bach's double violin concerto). It is a little more costumey than a leotard but allows the beauty of the classical movement to shine unobscured.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I know what you mean, but the first dress obscured Mao and her movement, while the second obscures the character of the piece. i vote for some sort of practice dress such as Balanchine often used in great classical ballets like Apollo and Concerto Barocco (to Bach's double violin concerto). It is a little more costumey than a leotard but allows the beauty of the classical movement to shine unobscured.
Kind of like this one? I sometimes feel Mao can skate every program in this costume with color variations. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqHSdHEQZ0

This is another ballet training dress which was a present from TAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58HTu9iwgrI

Between the two dresses for Cello Suit which she wore I prefer the first one for the same reason mentioned earlier.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

This picture reminded me of this statue which is well known among Japanese Mao fans that it sometimes looks like Mao. So much mixture of emotions with blue flare comes from inside of herself.
Komokuten
http://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-temples-shrines/kaidanin-nara

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Is this the one where Teddy Kumakawa was a guest judge or commentator and Mao was nervous to skate this that time because he was around or so I read somewhere?

If so, I'd like to see his reaction if he sees Mao's new Ex. :)
haha Yes! Kumakawa said in the video the lines of Mao's legs are beautiful as well as her movements inbetween steps are truly beautiful, and her purity matches Chopin's number very much. Me too am interested in what he'll say now since Mao is more matured and powerful than that time.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I think you are too early to decide. Usually Mao's sponsor companies launch commercials from autumn. You'll see their new products and campaign goods like clear folders from now.

Anyways Mao's official site has lists of maomao products here.
http://mao-asada.jp/maomao/
Maomao's apparel section hasn't launched autumn-winter collections yet. It also has glasses, teddy bears and small accessories. (click on the links, and you'll see products which are available now.)

Around nationals or the time when you visit Nagoya I'll post info about goods that you can get during your trip.

Apart from goods, I recommend you to visit or even skate at "Osu Rink." They have public time.
Nagoya Sports Center http://nsc-osuskate.jp/
Mao, Midori and Kanako (photos, skate boots, medals) at the rink http://www.drk7.jp/MT/archives/002044.html
Map https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/1-60+Monzenchō,+Naka-ku,+Nagoya-shi,+Aichi-ken+460-0018/@35.1574577,136.881598,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x60037733f2d7c585:0x85a5ac6229a0f587!8m2!3d35.1574577!4d136.8991075

Mao as well as Yamada's students trained at Osu Rink. And they often walked around and bought snacks at the town of Osu. I forgot in detail but they had their favorite stores. You might be able to have a chat with the people of the stores about Mao/Midori/kanako/Shoma etc. Anyways you have enough time to prepare for the trip. We can provide you more info from time to time.

Have fun. :cheer:

ETA:
Or, how about Japanese figure skating magazines which have Mao on the cover or have interviews with her like this one?
https://twitter.com/WFS_JP/status/758977083892649984?lang=ja

Last edited:

tamms

@rosewood Thanks for your guidance as always! I do hope I will have enough time in Nagoya to make a visit to Osu.

I'm bypassing magazines right now as I do have a few already, but I'm sure I won't be able to resist if I see them in person, haha.

Looking forward to your posts. :)

Spun Silver

Kind of like this one? I sometimes feel Mao can skate every program in this costume with color variations. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqHSdHEQZ0
Yes, something like that - but shorter. This is a romantic length but Cello Suite is baroque/classical. That's what I would like, anyway. And white, beige, black, light mauve or gray would be perfect - a neutral "practice" color.

ETA: The second pic below, from Balanchine's Concerto Barocco, shows the kind of look I am thinking of. I love the idea of using practice clothes because Mao's ex is like a master class in footwork and other skaters should be rushing to her school.
https://dancingperfectlyfree.com/2010/05/04/nycb-balanchine-opening/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information