The Mao cheer thread #3 - "For the love of skating"

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
OK, I read the magazine (named Number Plus) I mentioned on my post #317.

According to the article she's been struggling with a pain in her left knee where the most load is applied in a take-off on 3A. It's due to fatigue which is snowballed during a long career. Taking a rest is the best way for recovering and it seems there's no choice other than that. The way how they dealt with the pain was she took a rest for some days when she felt pain. After the pain disappeared, she re-started training. Mr Sato said, if she continues training without taking a break, it will cause her to need treatments on next step. They needed to do run-throughs repeatedly. But it caused the pain to come back. Usually she builds up her stamina by this repetitive run-throughs. But, with the knee pain, she was unable to do so. When she's tired, her muscles around the knee got unable to work well. And it caused to apply more load to her joint on jumps. Under such condition she had to be patient with 60-70% of her normal level training. The article had a comment from Midori too. She said she too struggled with dealing with the balance between her physical condition i.e. injuries and the amount of training. She wishes Mao will find out well-balanced training for her body of a 26 yo woman. The article had a little mention about Lori too. Mao had a good discussion with Lori and Mr Sato during summer. But it doesn't seem the discussions were enough to wiping out her frustrations completely, it said.
______

Before I read this magazine myself, I thought she's been back and forth between stage 2 and stage 3 (see explanations of the stages here) of jumper's knee. But, if she's on stage 3, the explanation says she needed from 3 to 6 weeks of rest. While, the magazine's article said she needed a rest of "days" range. So I think she's been back and forth between stage 1 and stage 2 where her tendons are not torn. See an explanation of Stage II below.
Stage II

In stage II, the patient has pain both during and after activity but is still able to participate in the sport satisfactorily. The pain may interfere with sleep. At this point, activities that cause increased loading of the patellar tendon (for example, running or jumping) should be avoided.

A comprehensive physical therapy program, as discussed above, should be implemented. For pain relief, the knee should be protected by avoiding high loads to the patellar tendon, and cryotherapy should continue. The athlete should be instructed in alternative conditioning to avoid injury to the affected area.

Once the pain improves, therapy should focus on knee, ankle, and hip joint range of motion, flexibility, and strengthening.

If the pain becomes increasingly intense and if the athlete becomes more concerned about his or her performance, a local corticosteroid injection may be considered. The doctor will explain the pros and cons of these injections.

Honestly speaking, I'm not sure from what stage people call it an "injury" - from when her tendon is torn? or from when she has pains due to the inflammation? Anyways I wish a quick recovery for her and it'll allow her to train satisfactory. Fingers crossed.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Another magazine named Aera was published this week. On the magazine there was an interview with Mr Sato. He said it's not a condition to be called an injury but they limit her training within the range of 60-70 percent of her normal level and it's due to avoiding a fatal injury. (Here is a twitter report of the summary.)

Midori's comment on the same magazine: Mao is a fabulous skater who has stunning artistry. If she can shift her way of thinking without sticking on amount of training, it'll lead her to happier life as a competitive skater. Don't give up! (twitter report)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Here are links to fan-cams of Mao's warm-ups at TdF.
SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25rVyfr-i4c
FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u1s0ND0q8Y

BTW, it seems Rika Kihira has the same type of pain as Mao's in her left knee. This article says she got the pain from a week before Jr Nationals.
She fell on a 3A in FS and unfortunately she bombed on other jumps too and placed as low as below 6th overall. Due to the result she was not invited to Sr Nationals. I guess she'll not be sent to Jr Worlds either.
(((3A jumpers)))

Spun Silver

I once read a long, fascinating interview with the ballerina Suzanne Farrell. One thing that stuck with me was her mental game, so to speak. As a young ballerina, she never had what she considered enough rehearsal time. So she would practice in her mind. She would prepare mentally for every eventuality -- what if she accidentally entered from the wrong side, what if, what if (I can't remember the examples she gave). She did it until she felt completely secure about the role. After all, her body was completely trained and her training was renewed every day.

I wonder if something like that is what Midori was talking about. Maybe Mao can work more in her head and less on the ice, at least where jumps are concerned. ?? I also remember Arutunian talking about Mao when she trained with him years ago -- he talked about how much she loved skating and never wanted to leave the rink. It must be hard for her not to be able to practice as much as she is used to or wants to. I hope she and Mr Sato can find a way for her her to train smarter instead of longer.

Sorry to hear about Rika Kihira too!

gotoschool

Here are links to fan-cams of Mao's warm-ups at TdF.
SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25rVyfr-i4c
FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u1s0ND0q8Y

BTW, it seems Rika Kihira has the same type of pain as Mao's in her left knee. This article says she got the pain from a week before Jr Nationals.
She fell on a 3A in FS and unfortunately she bombed on other jumps too and placed as low as below 6th overall. Due to the result she was not invited to Sr Nationals. I guess she'll not be sent to Jr Worlds either.
(((3A jumpers)))

Thanks for all the information.
It is heartbreaking that both Mao and Rika Kihira are suffering from injuries due to their brave commitment to do the triple axel. Rika gave my favorite junior performances this season. Like Mao, I hope she is able to recover quickly. I admire the great risk they take to display such incredible athleticism and beauty.

As far as Coach Sato's comments about Mao's condition is concerned, I am a bit confused. First of all, in an earlier post of your translation of his comments he said,

Mao Asada's pain in her left knee: Her coach stated "she's been unable to do intensive training since we are afraid."
Mao in this season has been forced to do careful adjustments due to chronic pain she's been struggling with since last season.

And then in the latest comments you translated, Coach Sato says it's not a condition to be called an injury but they limit her training within the range of 60-70 percent of her normal level and it's due to avoiding a fatal injury.

definition chronic- Relating to an illness or medical condition that is characterized by long duration or frequent recurrence.

A medical condition is defined as any illness, injury, or disease

So if what Mao has is not an injury, is it a condition that is basically as severe as an injury or the result of an injury since it causes frequent and long-term pain like tendinitis?

Perhaps the reason Mr. Sato said Mao's impaired condition isn't an injury is do to this definition of patellar tendinitis or jumper's knee:

Jumper's knee (patellar tendinopathy, patellar tendinosis, patellar tendinitis) commonly occurs in athletes who are involved in jumping sports such as basketball and volleyball. Patients report anterior knee pain, often with an aching quality. The symptom onset is insidious. Rarely is a discrete injury described. Maybe it is more like inflammation, as you suggested it may be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patellar_tendinitis

For me to understand better, I thought of arthritis which seems like it would be another type of insidious pain or inflammation that isn't an injury but it afflicts the joints instead of the tendons.

As far as Mao being in stage II of jumper's knee, I found this information in the excellent very detailed description you found very important.

The pain may interfere with sleep. At this point, activities that cause increased loading of the patellar tendon (for example, running or jumping) should be avoided.

To me this sounds quite serious because it sounds like jumping (or running) should not be attempted in this stage and if sleep is affected that would also have a negative effect on the mental state of the afflicted athlete. This seems to contradict the statement that in stage 2 an athlete can still perform satisfactorily. However, perhaps the statement is referring to sports that don't involve a lot of jumping unlike figure skating. I can only imagine that not being able to run would greatly decrease the endurance as well in this stage. Does this mean that Mao must avoid any jumping when the inflammation reaches this stage? Besides endurance, perhaps the reason Mao jumps deteriorate in her LP is that she has to jump several days back to back including practice and the LP is on the last day when her inflammation is the worst.

Of course, all of this is just an educated guess based on limited information.

As I believe I mentioned before, this is all new to me- the type of injury- jumper's knee- and the fact that it is not discussed openly by announcers as it is in the sports I used to follow closely like baseball and football even when it is reported by the coach. I can understand Russian alright- not great and not every word- and one of the comments by Tarasova that stuck with me is that she said she was offended by Mao's LP jump performance at Trophy de France, which I thought was highly inappropriate. This is different than the comment I cited earlier by Tarasova about her criticism of Mao's "take it easy" jumping selection in her SP performance. Tarasova was almost demanding that Mao do the triple axel while being completely oblivious to her injury.

I have presented my views on this before and I don't mean to single out Tarasova because eurosport has made similar comments, but I hope citing such comments will help people see why I am so critical of the coverage Mao has received and why I think the media "black out" in covering her injury during her performances ties in with her underscoring.

I have immense admiration for Mao's commitment to giving performances in such an impaired condition in the midst of what I think is a lot of harsh and uninformed criticism, though I still wish she wouldn't compete in such an impaired condition and focus on treatment and recuperation which would allow her to return to more intensive training. She reminds me of a brave solider going into a battle injured to fight with honor and silent acceptance no matter the final outcome. If surgery is not being considered for Mao and she and Mr. Sato are still intent on her competing, I hope there is some kind of treatment like the cortisone shot mentioned under stage 2 to help relieve Mao's pain during the most important competitions, since this can't be administered that often. I remember having a slip disk in my back which rendered me almost an invalid for several weeks and the cortisone shot was the only thing that took the pain away and "unlocked" my back so I cold start moving again, I thought it was almost miraculous at the time, though in the long run it still required back surgery. I hope a cortisone shot is allowed and that it can have the same effect in freeing up movement and alleviating pain in Mao's left knee, or if not I hope there is some other great treatment that Mao can receive so that the beautiful angel can get her wings back and fly high again.

Last edited:

gotoschool

I am embarrassed and amazed to say how emotional I got watching Mao's 2008 4CC's Fantasie Impromptu performance last night after not seeing it for a while. Weepingly beautiful. That may be an oxymoron to admit how embarrassed I am, but hasn't it been said how much Mao helps people release emotions they find it hard to reveal unlocking the door to that which has long been concealed? Her performance of this at the Grand Prix Final 2007 is just as great but I can't find a video with this high a quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp5aoeVYcHg

Last edited:

chapis

I am embarrassed and amazed to say how emotional I got watching Mao's 2008 4CC's Fantasie Impromptu performance last night after not seeing it for a while. Weepingly beautiful. That may be an oxymoron to admit how embarrassed I am, but hasn't it been said how much Mao helps people release emotions they find it hard to reveal unlocking the door to that which has long been concealed? Her performance of this at the Grand Prix Final is just as great but I can't find a video with this high a quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp5aoeVYcHg

of course, a classic!!! I remember watching on repeat that 3a over and over.

gotoschool

Here is video a little short of 2 minutes of Mao and Mai's amazing new CM for Stona medicine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkcH...ature=youtu.be

Good to see that Mao was happy and laughing while making the video. http://www.stona.jp/mov/stona_making_0928_LIGHT.mp4

I found the article first and liked it so I am including a brief synopsis from google translate: Mao has made a new CM for Stona medicine in which a giant Mao bigger than a skyscraper portraying good medicine chases a giant Mai portraying the flu or cold through throughout Japan. The article says many different places in Japan are shown in the video to show how the virus spreads across the country as Mao portraying Stona medicine chases her sister as the cold and flu across Japan form Okinawa, to Beach Boulevard Park in Hokkaido, running at highway speeds with landmarks in all 47 prefectures of Japan, and going through the side of Mt. Aso, Shikoku, Honshu-Shikoku bridge, and ZAO Lake Biwa water and climaxing with a battle in Tokyo. It appears that it lasts for 120 seconds.

http://zasshi.news.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20161130-00000002-tvfan-ent

Though I would still like Mao to seek a long term and lasting treatment for her chronic left knee pain, If she does decide to compete at Nationals, I hope Mai could help by being close to Mao to help her psychologically though that can't take the physical pain away. I just remember how much power Mao drew from Mai and the transformation in confidence from her SP to the stunning magnificence of her Madame Butterfly performance in the Worlds LP 2016 which transcended scores. Mao also drew a lot of inspiration from Mai at Nationals in making a really nice comeback in her emotional LP.

Last edited:

gotoschool

I don't know how accurate it is, but I have heard from a couple of posters this week that said they have heard Mao's left knee injury is serious, though I don't know exactly how serious or where they heard this. I respect Mao's right to privacy, but I admit this is the most difficult time I have gone through in following an athlete or performer. Between wanting Mao to skate great, accepting and finding great beauty no matter how well she jumps due to her injury, knowing she has already done far more than enough already and wanting her to take the burden of her shoulders, and not wanting her to skate if she is seriously injured but still being devoted to supporting her if she does, and then not really knowing her condition. It is quite a roller coaster of emotions. The one thing it has done is make me realize how big a fan I am of her skating and how much I like, admire and sympathize with her as a person, though I can't know what she is going through. All the best, dear Mao. I will be on your side no matter what you choose to do and I am confident you can give the great skates you dream of because you have done it so many times before.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Last week I saw very short glimpses of her training. She did a 3Lo and a 3F-2Lo-2Lo(tano) in them. She didn't look fit yet. The 3Lo looked OK but the jumps in the combo looked underrotated. Seems the clips were shot without her permission and thus it was taken down by the uploader.

ETA:
I miss Mao's skating so much. Here is a clip of her ChSeq at SKAM. I can watch it for an hour. :swoon: :swoon:
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/15266961_737247223094980_7505621921476640768_n.mp4

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I once read a long, fascinating interview with the ballerina Suzanne Farrell. One thing that stuck with me was her mental game, so to speak. As a young ballerina, she never had what she considered enough rehearsal time. So she would practice in her mind. She would prepare mentally for every eventuality -- what if she accidentally entered from the wrong side, what if, what if (I can't remember the examples she gave). She did it until she felt completely secure about the role. After all, her body was completely trained and her training was renewed every day.

I wonder if something like that is what Midori was talking about. Maybe Mao can work more in her head and less on the ice, at least where jumps are concerned. ?? I also remember Arutunian talking about Mao when she trained with him years ago -- he talked about how much she loved skating and never wanted to leave the rink. It must be hard for her not to be able to practice as much as she is used to or wants to. I hope she and Mr Sato can find a way for her her to train smarter instead of longer.

Sorry to hear about Rika Kihira too!
Yes, you made a very good point about Midori's comment. Thank you for sharing the story of Suzanne Farrell. Mao used to be a type who gets self-confidence by piling up the repetitive training and she sticked on the way strongly. In the very first stage of her comeback we were concerning about her back pain but it turned out that her left knee is more serious problem for her to deal with as a veteran skater. I think this type of trouble was somewhat predictable. Wish she'll get used to training smarter. We together with Midori & Daisuke etc are all on her side!

gotoschool

Last week I saw very short glimpses of her training. She did a 3Lo and a 3F-2Lo-2Lo(tano) in them. She didn't look fit yet. The 3Lo looked OK but the jumps in the combo looked underrotated. Seems the clips were shot without her permission and thus it was taken down by the uploader.

ETA:
I miss Mao's skating so much. Here is a clip of her ChSeq at SKAM. I can watch it for an hour. :swoon: :swoon:
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/15266961_737247223094980_7505621921476640768_n.mp4

I thought about posting another version of Mao's choreography sequence at Skate America, but I thought people could just watch it in higher video resolution during her actual performance. I found an outstanding version that is 1080 60 fps and the sequence is from about 2 to 3 minutes. 3/4 of this performance through the choreography sequence and then the step sequence are simply spectacular. Full of sumptuous beauty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HwQVd_kSFE

But, this version on instagram repeats automatically and I admit being hypnotized by the beauty on repeated viewings.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNceDUxgvqm/

Last edited:

gotoschool

Here are the highest quality videos I could find of some of Mao's more recent performances from this season and a lot from last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HwQVd_kSFE Skate America LP the choreographic sequence is astounding from 2 to just short of 3 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P30Ujkg6zM0 Skate America SP

Cello Suite Fan Cam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0V2OSiYCw

Cello Suite regular broadcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhxrlLBNCQ

Some of the best quality videos have been removed from Skate America SP as I posted earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H1fTQw08Zo Trophy of France FS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2asVE5esWo Trophy of France SP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnXKuTAiZ1k

Finlandia Trophy

SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1afB-0R0Vk Quality isn't as good as the others but nice closeup of Mao during her interview

LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYJIRsN4eo

Worlds LP 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLHt8fsEwG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuyDNPT8iFI same video broadcast but with Tarasova's commentary translated in subtitles.

Worlds exhibition 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEFvrzZaFq0

Nationals LP and practice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlMjzl3pD1k

2015 China Cup SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpfgCzS2k-Q

2015 Japan Open https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8odc0iymo

Last edited:

gotoschool

Thanks to yhmafan for giving us this website so that we can send best wishes, appreciation and adoration for Mao during the Holiday season.

http://www.arsoa.co.jp/mao_message2017/

(Step 1 :you have to decide the theme and Step 2 : Within letter 60 characters or less and put your name. I think that Mao would understand so writing in English is ok
yes.gif
) You can use google translate, if you get confused.

I don't know if I should post what I wrote or not.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Thanks to yhmafan for giving us this website so that we can send best wishes, appreciation and adoration for Mao during the Holiday season.

http://www.arsoa.co.jp/mao_message2017/

(Step 1 :you have to decide the theme and Step 2 : Within letter 60 characters or less and put your name. I think that Mao would understand so writing in English is ok
yes.gif
) You can use google translate, if you get confused.
For some reason I cant copy the text on my ipad to put it into GT. I assume one box is for my name and location and the other is for my message to Mao? Which is first? Thanks.

I don't know if I should post what I wrote or not.

gotoschool

Here is a really high quality fancam of Mao skating to Waltz Masquerade in her beautiful pink dress early in the Olympic season at an exhibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apferrC2pFE

And here is a high quality video of Caprice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrNSnI3_tYU

And here is the best copy I could find of Scent of a Woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8QVsi6_rgM

I love the choreography, spirals, spins, step sequences and costumes in all these programs. What a timeless treasure!

I admit I Mao's pink dress is one of my very favorites but I am still glad she switched to the red dress for her SP in 2009-2010 because her best performances were in this costume.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Guys, Mai's just appeared on a TV program and stated that last week she saw Mao did clean FS runthroughs as well as Mao landed good 3As. I didn't post it here but I know last week Daisuke said on a TV program that when he met Mao, she looked having left things behind and being in a good mental condition. I was not sure whether it was kinda lip service or not so I didn't post it here, but now I assume there's something which makes his comment sound realistic.

chapis

Guys, Mai's just appeared on a TV program and stated that last week she saw Mao did clean FS runthroughs as well as Mao landed good 3As. I didn't post it here but I know last week Daisuke said on a TV program that when he met Mao, she looked having left things behind and being in a good mental condition. I was not sure whether it was kinda lip service or not so I didn't post it here, but now I assume there's something which makes his comment sound realistic.

Great!!! :40beers::cheer:

gotoschool

Glad to hear that practices are going so well for Mao. Hopefully, she will skate great at Nationals. I wish I could be there to see her practices. I must say I love your new avatar of Mao in the winter coat and hat.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Glad to hear that practices are going so well for Mao. Hopefully, she will skate great at Nationals. I wish I could be there to see her practices. I must say I love your new avatar of Mao in the winter coat and hat.
Yeah, it's encouraging for us to hear something positive about her current training. After all it was the balance between training and physical care that we were concerning about. I don't think her physical condition magically got well but at least comments from Mai & Daisuke indicate she's found some way which makes her able to push her run-through level up to clean(ish). It must be encouraging for her mentally too. Good for her. Hopefully she'll do so so at Nationals and win a spot for Worlds. She has about a few months before Worlds and it'll make her be prepared better than at Nationals. One can only hope!

Here are links to photos for next year's calendar from Nepia. Her angelic purity is stunning.
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0CPztSUUAAdMHq.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0CPztQUQAA548w.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0CPztOUAAABih_.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0CPztPVIAAF-YY.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0CQFPPUsAEW_mj.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0CQFPQUoAAqDMw.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0CQFPRUQAImwW6.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0CQFPSUQAA57Fc.jpg

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Here is a video of Mai's comment:
https://youtu.be/Zt1dW20QABk?t=594

Q: What about the rumored injury [in her left knee]?
Mai: It's not a big injury. She's been working as an athlete for over 20 years. When she got more and more tired, pains came up. She needs to get along with the injury at this point. But the injury itself is not the thing to be concerned about too much.

Q: What about her mental condition?
Mai: She doesn't care [about her results in GP events] any more. I practiced with her as well as spent a time together with her off ice. It was like "What the feck made me concern about her so much at the time?" lol Mao's take is negative thinking doesn't do anything good. She's left things behind and is focusing on preparation for Nationls now. As for training, as long as I saw, last week she landed good triple axels and also she did LP run-through(s) without making any mistake. So I'm filled with feelings that I hope Nationals to come very soon so that she can keep current condition at Nationals.

Q: What's in her head now?
Mai: It's "I came back to competitions of my own will." She came back to the feeling once again. I wish she'll cherish the feeling "I want to skate!" at Nationals.

Spun Silver

I didnt know she did an annual calendar. Those photos are stunning.

Wonderful news about her mental and physical condition. Ganbatte, Mao-sama (if I may put it like that)!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I didnt know she did an annual calendar. Those photos are stunning.

Wonderful news about her mental and physical condition. Ganbatte, Mao-sama (if I may put it like that)!
LOL Loved your message for Mao!

Nepia's published annual calendars for years, but those are the ones to give their VIPs like stockholders as a present. So we fans can't even buy them. :slinkaway Mercifully they post the photos on net and I keep them in my PCs (and print by myself.) :D

Sumitomo Life Insurance and someone else among her sponsor companies publish their calendars too. Among all I love Nepia's the best every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information