The least appealing ladies worlds medalist?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jan 22, 2013.

Which of these ladies do you find least deserving of their Worlds hardware accolades?

1. Claudia Leistner FRG/GER - '83 & '89 Worlds Silver

10 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Kira Ivanova URS/RUS - '85 Worlds Silver

8 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Surya Bonaly FRA - '93, '94, & '95 Worlds Silver

21 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Carolina Kostner ITA - '05 Worlds Bronze

14 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Fumie Suguri JPN - '02 & '03 Worlds Bronze, '06 Silver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kimmie Meissner USA - '06 Worlds Gold

24 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. Elena Sokolova RUS - '03 Worlds Silver

10 vote(s)
    6.2%
  8. Laura Lepistö FIN - '10 Worlds Bronze

34 vote(s)
    21.1%
  9. Some other awful or mediocre lady competitor

25 vote(s)
    15.5%
  10. No ladies medalists in all of history deserve to be critiqued. I love them all!

15 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Alena Leonova for sure, and I say that as someone who's been a big fan of her in the past.

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't understand the criticism of Surya that she "cannot skate. All she can do is move from triple jump to triple jump". Surya did turns and MITF in between the jumps. She couldn't have done that and the SLF if she "couldn't skate".

Meisnner's toe-axels were so blatant that it annoyed me. It was very obvious she was doing 3lz-2a/ 3f-2a and not 3lz-3/3f-3t that she should not have received credits for those combos. I also find her overall skating style to be one big snooze.

3. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Least appealing for me is Leistner easily. Horrific choreography. Figures saved her for her sure.:scream:

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

With flat edges, toe pushing, two foot skating, no edge quality, tripping up on herself, etc. Being able to do turns or MITF does not make you a quality skater because even the most basic skater can do them.

5. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

My first thought when I saw the thread title was Klaudia Leistner. But I'd forgotten about quite a few other ladies that vie for least deserving title like Kira Ivanova.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

As another poster said the interpretation of this thread is up for debate, but atleast as far as how the competition was judged Ivanova and Leistner definitely deserved their World medals. Leistner was just lucky that both 83 and 89 werent that great a field, that was strong in figures and placed right at the top, and that she did a strong short program both times. Ivanova had the competition of her life at the 85 Worlds, winning figures as usual, and skating very well in both the short and long programs, and fully deserved to beat Chin's meltdown.

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Actually, there are a few cool things about Ludowika Eilers (Jakobsson).

Leaving aside regime and boundary changes, she is the only skater ever to win ISU World medals for two different countries: Germany and Finland. Also, she and her future husband, Walter Jakobsson, are the only pair or dance team who won ISU World medals (silver, in a three-entry field) representing different countries from each other. She was the only German-born athlete at the 1920 Summer Olympics in Antwerp, where she and her husband won gold in the Pairs competition in a field of eight entries. And she also starred in a couple of silent movies made in Finland in the 1920's.

:respec:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Can't argue with the elements, but the PCS was outrageous. If she didn't skate for Russia, her PCS would be 6.5 at best for all components.

Soldatova, Bonaly and Sokolova are also on my list.

Meissner at least had decent skating skills even though Ziggy rightly pointed out that everything else she did was mediocre and her toe-axels hurt my soul.

9. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

I actually really like Leonova....She's not the prettiest skater but she had a reckless abandon at one time that made me more than okay with her PCS marks. She had raw artistry that you can't teach!

My issue with Leonova this past year is that she had even less in her program (not talking about elements) and she lost all her spunk, charisma, and abandon in that freeskate (among others) imho. That's why I think she was undeserving, I think that had her PCS been fairly marked in that lp she would have fallen off the podium by a position or two. Just my two cents.

10. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I don't get the Kimmie Meissner hate.

Toe-axels aside, her skate was clean and she worked to get all those levels. Remember she was only 16 when she won, so her presentation wasn't there yet (though I loved her SP from that season and the FS from the next). Edging, speed and sureness where all there.

I have to say Julia Soldatova was my least favorite medalist in recent history. Poor posture, sloppy positions and iffy technique (she lipped and flutzed).

What position was Laetitia Hubert after the SP in 1992? Looking at her FS ordinals I'm surprised she didn't medal.

11. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

She was fifth after the short.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Ironically I started to enjoy Meissner's skating after her jumps left her. Her Turandot was subtle but nice. I wish the Japan open version was on youtube because it was probably her most solid performance of that program (and overall after 2007 Worlds).

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

And her 3sal was as ugly as Amber Corwin's 3toe with the pre-rotation. Sokolova at least had decent jump form.

14. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I was waiiting for this :rofl:

15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I cant believe Fumie Suguri is even on this poll. I could see some thinking she overachieved a bit to win 3 world medals, which she probably did, she was solid and consistent while others made mistakes, but in no way is she one of the weakest World medalists, and her performances each you were fully deserving of her medals. I am not a big Fumie fan but I will say one thing about her, the judges never gave her any gifts in her career like they might have her more celebrated and popular competitors (Kwan, Slutskaya, at times even Arakawa, Cohen, numerous others). Glad to see she has 0 votes, just as it should be.

16. MCC

MCC New Member

Where is Asada at 2008?

17. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I'm the only one ever on this forum who likes Soldatova! (and Eltsova/Bushkov too that is lol) I cannot help it, I can see the flaws you're pointing out, but I still enjoyed her a lot, both at worlds, and at euros the year before. She was fast, lots of stuff going on in the program, 3,3 combo, pre-rotated or not, who else did one? She was fun. Maybe I'm just mad?;) She did regress later in her career though. Btw, I was in Helsinki in 99 and no way Malinina should have been on the podium. Her jumps were so clean, she was such a sweet girl and I wanted all the best for her, but that program... Oh dear, stopping and posing and doing Arabian arm movements for four minutes! Like a little child,I just couldn't take it, sorry:D:D But Gusmeroli and Rechnio -fab fab fab!

18. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

It didn't help that Malinina kept that program for several years.

19. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I voted for Other before I saw Laura Lepisto's bronze up there--oops! (Not that Laura isn't appealing, but didn't she win with something like two or three triples?) Some others who come to mind are: Alena Leonova's silver in 2012 and Carolina Kostner's silver in, I think, 2008 (the year Yukari Nakano was robbed of a medal).

20. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Agreed. Suguri and Bonaly are the strongest skaters on this poll.
    Kostner to me was very forgettable at 05 and 08 worlds even if she deserved her medal. 2008 worlds was even worse, but Nakano never got her triples around, and Kim was off her game in the SP.

21. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Soldatova was pretty. I enjoy watching her for 15 seconds, but then her telegraphed entrances put me to sleep. I can never feel at ease with a Russian lady's layback positions or half hearted spirals. Judged as a Russian ladies competitor, she is not bad. As a world medalist, she is a little snooze inducing. Her going to Belarus was also tacky. I think she was ill advised and it harmed her. It would be like if Rachael Flatt went to skate for Bermuda.

Julia Soldativa 2000 GP Final FS

Julia Soldatova 2002 Olympics FS

22. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

Beatrix Schuba!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the early 70's. She was a master at compulsory figures and was the reason the short program was instituted. She won the worlds in 70 & 71 I think and the 72 Olympic gold medal with mostly single jumps because she was so far ahead after the figures.

23. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I thought of her, too, but decided that it would be wrong to call her undeserving. Figures were a part of the competition at the time and she is probably the best-ever among the ladies at compulsory figures. If we limit it to free skating, then I agree, she is probably the least-appealing.

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Oh, c'mon, Schuba wasn't that weak of a jumper :lol:. Yes, she did single Axel instead of a double, but she had a 2lutz, 2toe, and I'm sure 2sal and 2loop somewhere in her LP.

25. Vagabond

Schuba's 1972 European Championship Free Skate, which was pretty much the same thing as her Olympics Free Skate. Doubles galore. :yawn:

And, when it comes to single jumps, Schuba's successor as Ladies' Olympic Gold Medalist had one in her Free Skate too.

On the other hand, Schuba's school figures in the Olympics are commonly considered some of the best ever executed by a skater of either sex, and they counted for half of her overall score.

26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Those Schuba figures look scary good! Schuba's free skate has no major artistic embarrassments. Good for Trixie rotating those doubles. After watching her free program, it occurrs to me I like Schuba's skating more than I think I like Anett Pötzsch's.

Anett Pötzsch 1980 Olympics FS

27. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

Schuba did have some clean programs with doubles but also a few pretty bad programs without too. Her edges are wonderful and she is rightfully recognized as the best 'figure skater' ever. I guess if you like to watch figures she would be the least boring of all! For one of the world gala shows she actually came out and skated a loop figure for the show. Cheers Beatrix :)

28. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

But were Trixie's edges and flow all that great? I mean, freestyle with strong edges is much different than figures. I would say Janet Lynn skated with better edges than Trixie.

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You can't really compare Dorothy's beautiful single delayed axel with Trixie's novice-like axel though. Dorothy's was done on purpose to show off her ability. Trixie did the simple single axel, because she couldn't do a 2A at that point of her skating career.

30. Vagabond

I know that, orbitz, but saying, as googooeyes originally did, that Schuba was undeserving of her gold medal because she did single jumps is silly. (I think this whole thread is silly, but that's a different matter.)