The least appealing ladies worlds medalist?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jan 22, 2013.

?

Which of these ladies do you find least deserving of their Worlds hardware accolades?

1. Claudia Leistner FRG/GER - '83 & '89 Worlds Silver

10 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Kira Ivanova URS/RUS - '85 Worlds Silver

8 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Surya Bonaly FRA - '93, '94, & '95 Worlds Silver

21 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Carolina Kostner ITA - '05 Worlds Bronze

14 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Fumie Suguri JPN - '02 & '03 Worlds Bronze, '06 Silver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kimmie Meissner USA - '06 Worlds Gold

24 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. Elena Sokolova RUS - '03 Worlds Silver

10 vote(s)
    6.2%
  8. Laura Lepistö FIN - '10 Worlds Bronze

34 vote(s)
    21.1%
  9. Some other awful or mediocre lady competitor

25 vote(s)
    15.5%
  10. No ladies medalists in all of history deserve to be critiqued. I love them all!

15 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Which of these is the least appealing ladies Worlds medalist?

Claudia Leistner - West Germany (German Federal Republic)
    1983 & '89 Worlds Silver

Known for her unprofessional looking choreography and lethargy, this 5'7" German beauty did not translate her physical beauty to attractive skating. Thanks to the era of figures and her determination to try triples, she pulled off a pair of World silver medals six years apart. Skating to Germanic sounding booming soundtracks, disco, or corny American folk music, she did not do much on the ice, but sometimes pulled off a triple flip and triple loop.

Kira Ivanova - Soviet Union (Russia)
    1985 Worlds Silver

According to Peggy Flemming, Ivanova's figures weren't that great. Notwithstanding Peggy's opinion, the judges liked her tracings, and in that era this could guarantee you skated in the final group of six.

Dick Button said of her in 1984, "You know, I hate to say this, but personally for me this girl has absolutely no sparkle, very little choreographic interest, and I have very little enthusiasm for her technique. And one of the other things, I guess to put the finishing touches on it, like many Soviet skaters, her boots aren't very white."

Surya Bonnaly - France
    1993, '94 & '95 Worlds Silver

What more can be said about Surya Bonnaly's technique? In 1992 Nancy Kerrigan's coach, Evy Scotvold, said: "Surya cannot skate. All she can do is move from triple jump to triple jump." In the shadow of Ito and Harding, and with Europe having no other horse, moving from triple jump to triple jump was enough to win Surya three world silver medals.

Carolina Kostner - Italy
    2005 Worlds Bronze

Now the 2012 world champion is not today thought of as an over scored fluke. But in 2005, some people had a different take on the long legged Italian. Some Kwan (and other) fans complained that her bronze at the worlds in Moscow was an injustice. Unflattering things were said and written about how she dressed, her choreography, and how incompetent the judges were for overlooking her ice splat.

Fumie Suguri
    2002 & '03 Worlds Bronze
    2006 Worlds Silver

With her personal decisions to continue skating under scrutiny, this is not the nicest time to nominate Fumie for such a distinction. I believe she deserved all her world medals. However, there was buzz at 2003 Worlds that she was over scored and undeserving of status as a multiple-time podium finisher. In all likelihood, this talk was from biased Americans (favoring Sasha Cohen), but it is arguably true that Fumie did not skate particularly well in Washington, D.C.

Kimmie Meissner
    2006 Worlds Gold

With propeller arms, Meissner flapped her way to a world title in 2006. Most of us agree that Kimmie was a great competitor who belonged in the top six, but more than enough people I know still scratch their heads when they remember she is also the 2006 world champion.

Elena Sokolova
    2003 Worlds Silver

She attempted triple-triple combinations at 2003 worlds, but some spectators and former competitors commented that she was too lackluster artistically to be a medalist. The judging system used at the 2003 Worlds was the most secretive, broken, and cryptic ever. This probably gave rise to conspiracy theories that may or may not have been valid.

Laura Lepistö
    2010 Worlds Bronze

This lovely Finn did relatively little jump content at the Vancouver Olympics but still beat the USA national champ Rachael Flatt. This naturally started talk in USA quarters about how over scored Ms. Lepistö was. When she got the bronze at the following worlds, this time beating the former world champion Miki Ando, Lepistö's lighter jump difficulty got further negative attention.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Lol like moving from triple jump to triple jump should have been some kind of disqualifier for medals! Go surya!!! So deserved those medals and more like winning in 1994. So unique and such a presence! Few more unique and special!
  3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I probably should have added Holly Cook, but I think I blocked her out from my memory!
  4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

As the terms you used were least deserving I dont think any of those ladies besides Lepisto at the 2010 Worlds are good poll options. All others deserved the medals they won those years. Kwan was completely lackluster at the 2005 Worlds with COP unfriendly programs to boot, so I dont get the few who try and argue she was robbed of anything there, even if Kostner wasnt a great skater at that point. Besides Lepisto at the 2010 Worlds my other choices would be:

Holly Cook 1990 Worlds- totally gifted even in lackluster event. Nothing about her free skating was better than Lebedeva, Neske, Grossmann, Yamaguchi, and Lebedeva and Neske were ahead of her in figures too.

Witt 1982 Worlds- her LP scores for a poor skate were a joke and she should not have pulled up to win any medal, let alone silver.

Soldatova 1999 Worlds- propped up with the help of the Russian fed. Thank goodness she fell in her free skate, I am certain she would have won silver otherwise. Malinina who really should have won the silver was pushed off the podium altogether. To her credit this was one of her best competitions ever, but even at close to her best simply a mediocre skater in everyway- smallish jumps, terrible choreography, herky jerky movements all over the place, wobbly spins, childish music and look on the ice.

Kwan 1999 Worlds- her silver at this event was as big a gift as Soldatova's bronze was. Her short program sucked and should have been about 8th. Her long program was also generously scored to be 2nd in that phase given the quality of the skates that day, even though it wasnt totally bad (although still very subpar for Kwan standards). The podium after Butyrskaya should have been some combination of Malinina, Gusermoli, and Rechnio this year without question.

Kerrigan 1992 Worlds- silver was a farce for her performances at this event. Chen and Hubert should have been the other medalists. Clearly a reputation medal, nothing else. One judge even had her 1st for her meltdown long program over Yamaguchi who had one of the best performances of her career.

Kostner 2008 Worlds- This was the farce medal of her career, not the 2005 Worlds. Made mistakes on 5 jump elements and still nearly won the World title, and edged pre event favorite Kim whose only mistakes was a triple lutz singling in both programs for silver, and pushing an inspiring Nakano off the podium. Even the European crowd was jeering this result.

As the only great option that is even on the poll is Lepisto of course I voted for her.
  5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The judging at 1992 Worlds along with the skating was so fun and wild it is almost hilarious. Are the scores and ordinals posted somewhere? My favorite is how the judges suddenly decided to give Surya, the European Champion, a bunch of last place ordinals!
  6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Soldatova really belongs up there as a nominee. She was even worse when she came back skating for Belarus.

The spirit of what I'm going for is just a world medalist who lots of people thought bland and wished they had never even seen, let alone seen walk away with a medal.
  7. judgejudy27

The judges were telling Surya to fix herself or to retire. She took the hint and came back a much improved skater in 1993.

They should have done the same to Kerrigan, and then maybe the meltdown at the 93 Worlds wouldnt have happened. After being given medals for crappy performances at Worlds and Olympics in 91 and 92, and winning the 93 Nationals with incredible ease for another lame performance, it probably gave her the impression all she had to do was wait for Kristi to quit and she would be coronated all the big titles with just a few landed triples. Boy was she in for the shock of her life come Prague Worlds when the final flight were all laying down 6 or 7 triples and she had to take the ice as the leader.

In that case Soldatova would still be the runaway winner, along with Cook in 1990. Atleast Lepisto had beautiful stroking, edges, lines, and okish spins and footwork.
  8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Gusmeroli's jewel thief program was so cheesetastic and unclean, and I think it should have been a prop rule violation. That you could compare Kwan's 99 FS unfavorably with that casts a little doubt on your skating taste.
  9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

You may be right, and props for coming up with possibly the two most forgettable medalists. Cook and Soldatova are so forgettable that I did not remember to nominate them.

Cook had a really high double axel. :)
  10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Every skater looks so bad on the description, I can't vote ! :eek:
  12. darya_russian

darya_russian Active Member

I don't remember Leistner so I can't comment, but all the rest deserved their medals and did enough to win them in the given circumstances.

I agree that Kostner's 2008 World medal should have been in the poll. Now that was a disgrace. But with poll options as they are now - I can't vote.
  13. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

She may not have been the best overall skater that night, but Kimmie's long program blew everyone else's way by like 56 miles. She was clearly, without a doubt, the deserving winner that night, and her program was absolutely wonderful, which is more than I can say for some of the people judgejudy in particular wrote about.
  14. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

:confused: Kostner most definitely deserved her bronze medal in 2005! Kwan just had too many mistakes at her last Worlds from her uninspiring QR to her flawed LP; her SP was great though. It really appeared Michelle was just over-thinking the whole COP concept and she seemed to completely lose her love and joy for skating. Sadly, the only time I liked her Bolero program was its first outing at the opening season cheesefest when she skated it the best.
  15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Leonova
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  16. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Yeah.
  17. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Ludowika Eilers. Whom did she beat, when you get right down to it?
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  18. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

1911 was a good year for her. She won a bronze in ladies' singles and a pairs title with her new husband without having to finish ahead of anyone else.
  19. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

Yu-Na actually fell in the SP at those Worlds on the 3Lutz in the SP relegating her to 5th place in that segment. In the LP, she singled a Lutz and had a wobbly landing on a 3Salchow, but she did manage to win the LP segment, and finished 3rd overall. Kostner rotated 7 triples in the LP, albeit 4 jumping passes did receive -GOE, while Kim rotated 5 triples and did receive -GOE for the 3Salchow she struggled to land. Yu-Na won the LP and Carolina finished 3rd in that segment. Kostner unquestionably had the more difficult technical content between the two I think. Caro attempted all the triples minus the Axel and rotated all of her triples, which is extremely important to do under COP, while Yu-Na per usual omitted the 3loop and singled a jump, which is a huge mistake under COP. Nakano had many times in her career been faulted for UR'ing jumps, so it wasn't the biggest surprise to me that she was faulted for it again at those Worlds, no matter how clean her program may have appeared to be on the surface. You sort of have to wait and see what the judges are going to do with her jumps as she had a tendency to finish the rotation on the ice.
  20. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Well here are some vids to give you an idea of what well scored figures and trying a few triples could get you if you were lucky in the 80s:

http://www.cshop.de/images/product/peters-kleiner-flohmarkt/Leistner_Claudia.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1awmbS2glY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x-YGym7yTA
  21. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Two other examples...

Susanna Driano (1978) - won the bronze medal despite not finishing top 3 in any of the 3 phases

Claudia Kristofics-Binder (1981 and 1982) - two bronzes based mostly on winning figures
  22. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Oh my goodness. These tall Germanic ladies never trained much in free skating. She is better than Claudia Leistner in the grace department, but check out those jumps. Worst air position ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1atF99Om0o

Claudia Kristofics-Binder - 1981 World Championships FS
  23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Meissner by far. Mediocrity personified.
  24. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I'm glad Fumie hasn't gotten any votes thus far, say what you want about her skating and decisions, but she EARNED every single one of her world medals :cheer:

On a side note.. I can see this thread turning ugly quite soon :shuffle:
  25. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

26. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Claudia Kristofics-Binder was actually not a German, but an Austrian Skater. ;) – I think the last one to medal at a major event. :eek:

When voting I was torn between Claudia Leistner, Surya Bonaly and Kimmie Meissner, but finally my vote went to Claudia Leister as I didn’t remember her performances at all. After watching the linked clips I know why - her programmes :scream:

One remark on this poll in general: personally I have nothing against expressing which skaters you like and on the opposite also which you like less and which not, as long as critics don't get rude. But I’d really wish the next to last poll option (“Some other awful or mediocre lady competitor”) could be changed, as it implies that any skater mentioned on this poll is awful / mediocre, which I feel is pretty harsh. :shuffle:
  27. judgejudy27

Medals are not just decided by the free skate. I would have had Gusmeroli 2nd or 3rd in the SP (along with Rechnio) and Kwan only 8th. Had that happened Kwan could have beaten Gusmeroli by 2 or 3 spots in the LP and still not beaten her overall. Even the U.S media were outraged Kwan was 4th in the SP, and rightfully so. The 5.5s she got for required elements for her short program performance from some judges were as big a crock as the few 5.8s Soldatova got for presentation.
  28. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

Oh please. She had a great SP when everyone else bombed. She got the job done in the LP and landed 6 good triples. Yeah, the program sucked but it was technically competent.

All the Wagner lovers conveniently forget how lackluster she was in the SP, Leonova blew her away technically and PCS.
  29. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

By the way: I looks like this poll might be interpreted in two ways - the title is about the least appealing skater (= not such a great skater who might have won a medal well deserved that event, but e.g. in a weak field and with a skate which might not have earned a placement anywhere close to a medal in any other year) or from the headline of the poll the least deserving medalist, which I understand as a skater who didn't deserve a medal at the actual event due to bad judging, etc.

My take was that this poll is about the least appealing skater. But when I now see a lot of discussion on judging and deserved placements in the actual events, I guess I'm in the minority? :confused:
  30. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Holly Cook- 1990 World Bronze
    Jill Trenary- 1990 World Gold
    Carolina Kostner- 2008 World Silver
  31. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Alena Leonova for sure, and I say that as someone who's been a big fan of her in the past.
  32. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't understand the criticism of Surya that she "cannot skate. All she can do is move from triple jump to triple jump". Surya did turns and MITF in between the jumps. She couldn't have done that and the SLF if she "couldn't skate".

Meisnner's toe-axels were so blatant that it annoyed me. It was very obvious she was doing 3lz-2a/ 3f-2a and not 3lz-3/3f-3t that she should not have received credits for those combos. I also find her overall skating style to be one big snooze.
  33. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Least appealing for me is Leistner easily. Horrific choreography. Figures saved her for her sure.:scream:
  34. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

With flat edges, toe pushing, two foot skating, no edge quality, tripping up on herself, etc. Being able to do turns or MITF does not make you a quality skater because even the most basic skater can do them.
  35. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

My first thought when I saw the thread title was Klaudia Leistner. But I'd forgotten about quite a few other ladies that vie for least deserving title like Kira Ivanova.
  36. judgejudy27

As another poster said the interpretation of this thread is up for debate, but atleast as far as how the competition was judged Ivanova and Leistner definitely deserved their World medals. Leistner was just lucky that both 83 and 89 werent that great a field, that was strong in figures and placed right at the top, and that she did a strong short program both times. Ivanova had the competition of her life at the 85 Worlds, winning figures as usual, and skating very well in both the short and long programs, and fully deserved to beat Chin's meltdown.
  37. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Actually, there are a few cool things about Ludowika Eilers (Jakobsson).

Leaving aside regime and boundary changes, she is the only skater ever to win ISU World medals for two different countries: Germany and Finland. Also, she and her future husband, Walter Jakobsson, are the only pair or dance team who won ISU World medals (silver, in a three-entry field) representing different countries from each other. She was the only German-born athlete at the 1920 Summer Olympics in Antwerp, where she and her husband won gold in the Pairs competition in a field of eight entries. And she also starred in a couple of silent movies made in Finland in the 1920's.

:respec:
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  38. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Can't argue with the elements, but the PCS was outrageous. If she didn't skate for Russia, her PCS would be 6.5 at best for all components.

Soldatova, Bonaly and Sokolova are also on my list.

Meissner at least had decent skating skills even though Ziggy rightly pointed out that everything else she did was mediocre and her toe-axels hurt my soul.
  39. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I actually really like Leonova....She's not the prettiest skater but she had a reckless abandon at one time that made me more than okay with her PCS marks. She had raw artistry that you can't teach!

My issue with Leonova this past year is that she had even less in her program (not talking about elements) and she lost all her spunk, charisma, and abandon in that freeskate (among others) imho. That's why I think she was undeserving, I think that had her PCS been fairly marked in that lp she would have fallen off the podium by a position or two. Just my two cents.
  40. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I don't get the Kimmie Meissner hate.

Toe-axels aside, her skate was clean and she worked to get all those levels. Remember she was only 16 when she won, so her presentation wasn't there yet (though I loved her SP from that season and the FS from the next). Edging, speed and sureness where all there.

I have to say Julia Soldatova was my least favorite medalist in recent history. Poor posture, sloppy positions and iffy technique (she lipped and flutzed).

What position was Laetitia Hubert after the SP in 1992? Looking at her FS ordinals I'm surprised she didn't medal.