The King's Speech

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bailey_, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Just home from the movie - absolutely fabulous!! Colin Firth is wonderful. Loved it for so many reasons. If you are looking for a good movie to see this holiday season - I highly recommend the King's Speech. Wonderful movie!!

2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I can't wait. Now if only the snow would melt at my parents' so I could get home and actually go see the movie :)

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Going to try to see it Friday. I can't wait!!

4. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Fantastic movie. Firth and Rush are PHENOMENAL.

5. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I really want to see it!

6. bek

bek Guest

Good movie! Tremendous acting.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I saw it yesterday. Definately worth seeing. Really enjoyed both Firth and Rush but also liked Bonham-Carter as Queen Elizabeth. Strange to watch someone from recent history being portrayed as the younger version of what we know.

The character I loved was Jennifer Ehle as Myrtle Logue. She was lovely and did a great Aussie accent. I didn't even realise it was her.

What I also love about these types of movies is it makes you get on the internet and learn about the people that are being portrayed. Gets you brushing up on history.

8. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I can't wait to see this. Firth was so tremendous in last year's A Single Man.

9. Auntie

Auntie New Member

Is this okay for young teens? From what I can tell, the only reason it was rated R is because of the F word. Swearing isn't an an issue for me as long as every other word isn't F'ing this and F'ing that.

The other problem will be finding a theater. I don't think there will be a lot of demand to for this movie in South Georgia. I will probably have to hitch up the wagon and head into the big city.

10. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

:swoon: I love that movie. I think I love it even more because Tom Ford directed it.

11. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

There are only a couple sections of swearing. In fact, those scenes were quite humorous in my opinion. That is the only possible reason this got an "R" rating. There is no violence or sex. It is a fantastic movie and yes, I would take young teens.

12. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I really hope it will be showing here by the weekend.

13. KatieC

KatieC On hold

Was supposed to go last Wednesday, but the outing got called off. So now I'm supposed to see The King's Speech tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I am a Speech Pathologist and a great fan of The Kings Speech. The fact that this movie got an R rating is fairly controversial. The production company appealed the R rating fearing that teens that are being bullied by their speech would be denied the opportunity to see this very inspirational film. Sadly the appeal was denied.

15. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Absolutely LOVED this movie. Firth is beyond amazing but everybody is good in this. Guy Pearce, for instance, makes a wonderful despicable Edward. I'm sorry to hear about the R rating just because of the "therapeutic" swearing. I'm pretty sure that if the King had been shot in the head instead, it would only rate a PG-13 so it's quite hypocritical.

16. toepick

toepick Member

I went to this movie thinking that I would hate it since I stutter and usually hate the "look at x overcome his disability crap" but my love for politics made me want to see it. I do have to say they did a very commendable job. I liked it a lot and have been recommending it to people. Not overly schmaltzy and certainly realistic. Firth's stutter was actually quite good. I usually HATE when people try to attempt it because it is rarely done in a realistic way.

Certainly the King's stutter was far more mild than my own, but I thought the subject matter was handled very well. Speech therapy was not presented as a cure-all and for that I was very, very grateful.

17. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I too loved seeing Bonham-Carter portray a young Queen Elizabeth. I have only ever known her as "the Queen Mum" and it was fascinating to see that she had such a love for her husband - she supported him with a strength that I found very intriguing. Fascinating to see the Monarchy portrayed too - the distance from the commoners and the role of the children in the family and the fact that unlike Berthie's parents, they seemed to show more affection for the children than previous generations. Interesting to put it against the backdrop of William's upbringing with Diana and the impending nuptuals (I found Westminster Abbey is imposing to say the least). Also loved the time period - there is a scene where the King walks freely in public and nobody notices him at all. It was fascinating to realize that with no television and likely the only images known to the public printed in the newspaper, the average person may not even have known what the King looked like. Such a different time - made me see so clearly the changes that have occurred and why the monarchy has struggled to adapt.

I too went with Speech and Language Pathologists who raved about the movie. The acting was superb! They thought it was a very real portrayal and very accurate in the techniques that continue to be used today.

And, the swearing should not keep anyone from watching the movie. It is quite humorous actually, and I would definitely recommend this movie for teens.

18. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I stutter too and I'm looking forward to this movie. :) I recognized some of the exercises they did, although there was no swearing on my part. :lol:

If you listen to the famous speech IRL, it's clear George was not cured of his stutter, but it had become more manageable.

19. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

And your post sent me off to google who was the Queen Mum. Little did I know that she also was named Elizabeth. Sheesh, do I ever feel stupid cause I couldn't reconcile your first sentence in my brain thinking that you were mixing the current queen with her mum. Yeah, I be brain dead.

20. toepick

toepick Member

Right; I appreciated the fact that they did not depict him as being "cured" at the end given his real life experience.

There was no swearing for me in my years of speech therapy, but I am one of the many who don't stutter when I am screaming obscenities (or singing).

21. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I want to see it but I think I'll have a very hard time getting my husband to see it with me. So I guess I'll have to see it on my own.

22. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I think it would depend entirely on the teens in question. Aside from the swearing there's no objectionable content ... but I can't imagine that most young teens would be remotely intereseted in this movie. Particularly American teens. But if you know the kids and their interests, and think they'd be into it, and don't mind the occasional swearing, go for it!

BTW, I was lucky enough to see this at a preview and as I posted a couple of weeks ago, I loved it. For the reasons others have stated -- as well as the beautiful relationships depicted. Best movie I've seen this year.

23. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Saw this yesterday. Fantastic acting from all sides. Just shows that you do not need action/violence/sex, for a movie to be entertaining. The swearing scenes were hilarious and I didn't find them at all offensive. It was a fascinating look into the royal family at a different time when they were difinitely set futher apart from the real world...and it was very interesting to see the scenes with Wallis simpson and how that abdication changed everything. Excellent.

Thought where Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth were introduced to be very funny, not only for the scene, but for the fact that they were Elizabeth and Darcy in the wonderful Price and Prejudice mini series that pretty much made Colin famous. It was also interesting to note that the annoying male cousin from that mini series was the actor who played the guy who rejected Logue when he was on stage trying for a part.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Aussie Willy

In Australia this movie is rated M. I cannot believe that it is rated R (is it in the US?). R for Ridiculous. So a whole group of people can miss out on this movie about a very important part of history which they might learn something from just because of one word!!!!

25. Aussie Willy

And that never even crossed my mind. :lol: I loved P&P.

If you want to see Firth in one of his early movies check out Apartment Zero. Very different flavour of movie.

26. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, they get introduced? Cool! I was wondering if they had any scenes together.

27. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I saw the movie and enjoyed it. I don't think it deserves Best Picture, but it had great performances by everyone around. Love Colin Firth and found Helena Bonham Carter wonderfully warm.

28. BrokenAnkle

BrokenAnkle Active Member

Loved it. A gentle but very engrossing story.

29. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Oh my...Colin is THE Darcy. I even liked David Rinthoul in an earlier BBC P&P very much. But yes....Colin is THE quintessential Darcy-to me anyway. And again in Bridget Jones movies, figuratively speaking.

However, he is also quite the VALMONT! There are two versions of Dangerous Liasons. Colin was Valmont, with Annette Benning. My goodness, he is gorgeous!

http://the-clever-pup.blogspot.com/2009/08/valmont-vs-dangerous-liaisons.html

Sigh! Just give him the damned Oscar for lighting up my fantasies and be done with it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  30. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I loved that movie so much! I recommend it to everybody I can.
    I would not hesitate to take teenagers. Yes, there is a lot of swearing, but it's an emotional release, not "evil intent" swearing.
    Of course I googled Logue afterwards and was happy to see they got the facts straight.
    The techniques he uses have a lot in common with singers' and actors' preparation, and the ever- faithful google told me he graduated from Music Conservatory in Australia and then acted. The movie got it right. It is nice to read that real speech therapists, and people who know about the stuttering, have no objection to the movie- it's an important test of how real it is.
    The movie is sooooo touching, and inspiring ( and yet not tear- jerker schmalzy, but quite real), and the acting is so good! I might see it for the second time.