The Kings of Quad

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by umronnie, Jun 19, 2012.

1. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

You could also ask why the article totally failed to mention that a) Brian won with only a 0.12 margin on a guy who was 7th in US Nats and hadn't been in an international competition in, like, FOREVER and b) that his performance, while not bad, wasn't nearly enough if the other favorites at Worlds skated half as well as they can :rolleyes:

2. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Why would anyone bother to write all of that crap in article about Brian landing the 100th quad :rolleyes:

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

What Ant said - the article, and this thread, are about the skaters who've landed a lot of quads, not about the merit of people's skating at the Challenge Cup. Joubert's goal at the Challenge Cup was to work on doing two different quads in his programs, and it's nice that along the way he got #100.

There is a mistake in the article, however - Joubert is currently ranked 11th in the world, not eighth. Unless they mean he moved up eight spots? I don't recall what his previous ranking was.

4. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

I mentioned that because they continue in the article by noting that the Challenge Cup result and the fact that this victory helped him move up to 8th in the world (I can confirm that's what the article says btw ;)) should give him a confidence boost for Worlds. Given his actual performance at CC, was point was to say that probably not so much.....

That being said, and to go back on track with the content of this thread, it's nice to see that his accomplishment of landing 100 quads in career is being recognized ;)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

So the throw away comment at the end of the article about the upcoming world championships should have been re-written to eclipse the actual subject of the article...okay....maybe you should email them and let them know :rofl:

6. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

I think that's what they meant - prior to Challenge Cup he had 2233 points which I think would have put him 19th in the rankings.

ETA: he's 8th in the season world rankings

7. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Or maybe they could not have made that thrown-away comment at the end?

Anyway, I don't really understand why my comment is such a problem (apart from going off topic, for which I apologize) :confused:

8. Zemgirl

But since he accomplished his stated goal (trying two quads, and he was close with the LP 4S) why wouldn't it make him feel good? If Kevin Reynolds can get the marks he did when landing three quads, I imagine that a similar skate (if h's up to it, and that's a big if) by Joubert should score very well. Final comment on the CC: Joubert's score was a shade higher than at last year's Challenge Cup.

Anyway, as Ant noted, it's a throwaway comment in a brief report about the 100th quad :)cheer: to that). And I still think they should have credited umronnie in some way; considering the mentions of Plushenko and more importantly, Menshov, it's very clear that the information could only have originated from this thread.

9. umronnie

umronnie Well-Known Member

Wow, that's. The Menshov-mention (say that 3 times in a row) is a dead giveaway. As I said, I wrote to the ISU and sent them my findings. I did mention Plushy, but not Meshov.

I don’t mind not getting credit, I started this project for fun and I'm glad Brian is getting some kind of recognition, but – is this a reputable web site? It doesn’t seem very responsible to use data from an unaccredited, unsubstantiated fan website without some independent verification. OTOH, now Wikipedia can sight this article as verification for that claim on Brian's page(which I now see that they did).

10. Zemgirl

It's the website of a regional newspaper for Poitou-Charentes and other parts of central France, so naturally they write about Joubert quite often. I believe it's a reputable publication, but they really should cite their sources.

11. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

yes, they are very well know in the area, it's a big local newspapers (bit more than local as it about several regions). but as professional journalists they should know about quoting their sources....... :wall:

the biggest kuddos goes to :cheer2: umronnie :cheer2: and the one and ones who went through all the compilation and recounting of the programs ! I don't think that many people realise how big a work it is :respec:

and anyway, as you counted only international competitions, Brian had topped his 100th quad in competition a while ago, even only with counting the ones he landed at French Nationals.

12. Zemgirl

This is a pre-Worlds article, but I'm posting the link here because it confirms Joubert now knows about the 100th quad; apparently he finds the achievment rewarding ;)

13. umronnie

Updates quad count after WC13:
    1 Joubert – 102
    2 Plushenko – 94
    3 Menshov – 46
    4 Reynolds – 42
    5 Fernandez – 40
    6 Voronov – 34
    7 Chan – 30
    8 Verner – 28
    9 Takahashi – 27
    10 Hanyu - 18

14. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Amazed by Joubert. I didn't know he landed so many quads, and still does.

15. Zemgirl

I meant to post this and forgot - finally, someone (specifically, the print edition of L'Equipe) has cited FSU as the source for this story :)

Several skaters on the list can presumably add to their totals next month at the WTT.

16. umronnie

Yay! Finally I make it into print media. Letters to the editor that I wrote were never published but obscure figure skating stats do. The world is a funny place.

Whuch countries have qualified for WTT? I assume Canada and Russia are in. Probably USA. Japan? They don't even have a pair now, do they? And since P/B missed a few comps for injury does France qualify? Who else? Italy? China?

17. Zemgirl

I imagine France will qualify - ISU Championship points are counted based on whatever event yielded the most points for that country's top skater(s), so it'll be Worlds that counts for P/B rather than Euros, and they didn't miss the GP. No idea re China vs. Italy, each country has strengths and weaknesses. It doesn't matter much for the quad list, though.

18. umronnie

Forgot to post update after WTT.

1 Joubert – 104
    2 Plushenko – 94
    3 Menshov – 49 (the two quads in the free do not appear on the protocols because he withdrew shortly after)
    4 Reynolds – 45
    5 Fernandez – 40
    6 Voronov – 34
    7 Chan – 31
    8 Verner – 28
    8 Takahashi – 28
    10 Hanyu - 18

19. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

is this an all time list? or just these past years? I supposed Yagudin and Goebel would be right up there too:)

20. Zemgirl

Thanks for the update :)

Active skaters. See umronnie's older post for information on Yagudin and Goebel; they're well behind Joubert and Plushenko.

21. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

If his body holds out, I would dearly love to see Plushenko reach 100. He deserves it.

The scary part comes when you imagine how many quads Joubert and Plushenko have done in practice. You'd have to be thinking at least five times that number. And then it starts getting scary.

22. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Yagudin couldn't be right up there, please remember that he was forced to retire from competitive skating at the age of 22 basically, due to a severe hip condition. And if memory serves, Yagudin didn't attempt quadruple jumps during his first season in the senior ranks. Who knows how many quads he would have landed under different circumstances.

23. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate that Yag was forced to retire due to his hip condition. He was one of the standouts IMO. Amazing that Joubert beat Plushenko in the number of quads. Hanyu is still young. He'll get there

24. unicorn

unicorn Member

I just notice there's no Chinese skaters on the list. IIRC, their amount of quads should be quite decent too.

25. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Chengjiang Li used to quad, & didn't Min Zhang as well?.

And then there's Han Yan...

26. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yes Chengjiang Li used to have huge quads. Takeshi Honda also did 3 quad in a program once.

27. umronnie

The Kings of Quad – The Last Hurrah

In honor of the kings of quad who will be retiring after the games, and to pass the time until the competition starts, here are the stats as of February 5th:

1 Joubert 105
    2 Plushenko 95
    (3 Menshov 56) won't be in Sochi
    4 Fernandez 48
    (5 Voronov 45) won't be in Sochi
    5 Reynolds 45
    6 Chan 39
    7 Verner 34
    8 Takahashi 31
    9 Hanyu 26
    (10 Kovtun 21) will he be in Sochi?

Will Plushy break 100? Let the games begin.