The Kerrs retire

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kwanette, Apr 1, 2011.

1. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

2. Please tell me this is an April's Fool joke??

3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

4. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I was thinking of it all the time since there are to much injuries. I'm happy they got the medal at this Euros and I'm happy I was there. Sorry that they are retiring, we hopefully see them at shows soon
    and wish them god luck for all they are going to do now

5. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Not going to Euros in Sheffield?!

6. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:drama::wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

I shall miss them a lot - and I know I am one of the very many. The Finnish audience always loved them, and I guess the audience everywhere did that.

All the best for them, great and voidy skaters and lovely people!

7. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

:drama: :wuzrobbed:

I so hoped to see them in Sheffield! :(

8. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

me too!!! It would have been fantastic to see them ending their career at home!
    :(

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I will really miss them :(

10. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Such devastating news, it's an end of an era. :wuzrobbed I will really miss them and their dances - always so original and interesting.

And I'm sorry that they couldn't skate in Sheffield next year - they were really the biggest chance for home success. :(

I wish them all the very best in whatever they will move on to doing! :kickass: :respec:

11. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

What is it w/today and the retirement announcements!?!

All the best to them. I just wish I'd gotten a chance to see them live once is all. :(

12. REO

REO New Member

It's a shame they need to retire. I met them once at a Xmas show at Johnny's home rink and they did their "The Landing" program which I loved. They were very innovative. Nice people. Good luck to them in the future.

13. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

:fragile:

Not a huge surprise but sad nonetheless. Thanks for some great voids, S&J.

14. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

I will miss them so much!!!
    But Sinead made it quite clear in Bern at the last press conference that she did not want to continue another season (John seemed more willing). And she was almost rolling her eyes when someone mentioned the "home competition" 2012 - maybe as they are Scottish, not English...

15. yossalu

yossalu Member

If only this was an April fool's joke. I was so hoping we would see them next year. I hope they will at least continue to tour. Any word on their future plans beyond the broadcasting idea?

I guess it is good that they're quitting if Sinead no longer had her heart in it, but many fans will surely miss them. With Faiella & Scali gone as well it is truly the end of an era.

16. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Skaters like the Kerrs are the reason why so many people love ice dance. :)

It's not just rocker, counter, twizzle, is it? People want to see a performance, and did the Kerrs always give it! :cheer2:

Good luck to them for whatever comes next!

17. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Best of luck John and Sinead and thank you for your great skating which I have enjoyed so much over the years. Thank goodness for youtube!

18. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

They are Scottish, I think, since they did that Scottish OD awhile back. I will miss them but I'm not surprised to hear of the retirement, because of the injury. I guess John wouldn't consider continuing with a new partner, lol.

20. ros01

ros01 New Member

Best of luck to them. I wonder if this means they will leave Princeton and go home to Scotland? I'm sure they'll be very popular at shows.

21. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

:wuzrobbed

So sad that they are retiring, but so thrilled I got to see their last competitive performance at Euros and the medal win.

Would have been lovely to see them at Euros next year which is being hosted by GB who John and Sinead have represented so well for so many years (I kinda think that such a deal is made of the Scottish, English thing - the home competition to me refers to GB hosting, not England - It's GB that our atheletes compete for in most sports (not all)...).

All the best to them both on their future endeavours!

22. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed First Shawn, and now the Kerrs! :wuzrobbed They will be missed! Best of luck to Sinead and John! <3

23. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I am not proficient in Ice Dance, and I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of the sport. I respect it tremendously-I am just not as informed as most of you.

But I will say that the Kerrs have always held my interest and admiration. Yes, he is a pretty thing, and they are an attractive couple. But it's not that-it's their combination of athleticism and artistry-very unique artistry-that always capture my attention.

I wish them all the best. Thank you, John and Sinead, for all the beautiful and breathtaking moments. You might not have won World's, but you certainly fulfilled my expectations for excellence and beauty. I hope you'll continue skating in shows so we can still see you or videos of you!

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  24. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I think that they left Princeton last yr and have been training in Mt . Laurel, NJ.

25. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed I'm sad. I've enjoyed their skating so much. They got me into ice dance and I was lucky enough to meet them at Worlds in LA. Two more wonderful people in the skating world can't be found!

26. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

They will certainly be missed. They have done some of the best and most interesting programmes in ice dance for many years now.

27. suki

suki New Member

You are correct, Kwanette. The Kerrs trained with Platov at my rink in Mount Laurel, NJ. Everyone loves them at the rink for their friendliness and good humor (and for us hetero women, John for his dashing good looks) :lol:

I know both John and Sinead are dating skaters who train at the rink and live nearby. I don't know how this will affect their future decisions. I would love to see them both become coaches at the rink in between touring, etc. I have first dibs on a dance lesson with John ;)

28. eleonorad

eleonorad New Member

I'm so sad, I really wish they could stay for Sheffield..

29. Imperfect Edge

Imperfect Edge New Member

Yes and they are also BRITISH representing BRITAIN (sorry personal dislike of devolution but won't get started on that).

Gutted to hear they won't be skating in Sheffield - they always said they would love the chance to skate at home. But considering they were only ever planning to continue to 2010 I guess its another year before they can move on with their lives - whatever that involves.

mella and (deleted member) like this.
  30. eleonorad

eleonorad New Member

I really don't think they don't care because they're scottish, it's no sense anyway. Probably they don't stay for the same reasons Stephane didn't stay for Bern 2011.