The Joshua and Jason Uber Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by misskarne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yeah Jason looks way older now than before, he's gotten a lot stronger through the shoulders. Josh should stop tucking in the shirts though, as someone who has a similar long legged/short torso build, I find that tucked in anything just contributes to the proportion disparity and gives one a young/coltish appearance.
  2. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Jason has got quite muscular all over now. I think maybe he grew a little more, he and Josh didn't seem to be too far apart in height at the JGPF. Either way, he has definitely joined the ranks of the "got-more-handsome-over-the-off-season" club. ;)

Josh in some fitted costumes would be nice, particularly the Bach ones. But I guess it's all about what he feels comfortable skating in.

Meanwhile, speaking of questionable costumes, Jason, honey, blue velvet pants? Just no.
  3. pinky166

I wish he'd dump the entire SP, and mostly the costume, entirely, though it's probably a bit late in the season for that. And actually in the backstage picture of Josh and Jason together, Josh still looks a good 2 inches taller, so I am utterly confused with heights because Jason looked a lot taller than before in those group pictures, but if Josh is really only 5'8" that means Jason is likely around 5'6", quite small for a man, but if that was the case, he wouldn't look taller than all those girls in heels in the pictures so idk. Next to Kovtun who is reportedly only a strong 5'9", Josh does look 5'8", but I sort of doubt Kovtun is only that tall as looking at him he gives the appearance of being about 6 feet tall or close to it. Then in the icenetwork article it said something about how Josh had grown since last season so no idea. Jason is definitely more muscular though which maybe that is why he looks taller, he's just bigger. I would have guessed Jason was 5'7"-5'8" and Josh 5'9"-5'10", but like gymnasts figure skaters are usually small in stature so maybe they are as short as listed and the skates and similar smallness of their peers just makes it seem otherwise...
  4. misskarne

Figured I'd prop up this thread again since US Nats are underway and Josh and Jason skate on the 25th!

A few tidbits of info:

The SP start order is up here, Joshua skates second and Jason skates fourth out of twenty skaters so we will have to wait a long, long time to see how their SPs hold up.

Josh was among a bunch of skaters who missed first practice (apparently this is not unusual) but according to eyewitnesses, Jason was there and doing :swoon: triple Axels!
  5. pinky166

Rough draws for them, but it shouldn't be a big issue if they skate well. This should be a really exciting event! And wow, what a stacked first group!
  6. misskarne

Update from today's practices:

Josh did a clean runthrough of his SP and two quads, and looked very good apparently. :cheer:

Jason did a clean runthrough of his LP, featuring a 3A-3T and a second 3A. :wideeyes: :cheer:

Can't wait! :watch:
  7. babyskate

babyskate New Member

Congratulations to Joshua for a near perfect SP. He really showed he could skate with the big boys. Loved his press conference afterwards also. So cute and in awe of it all.

I was also so impressed with Jason. Despite the fall early on the triple axel he skated an exquisite, captivating program. Not many young competitiors could have done that. I agreed with Michael Weiss in that he just brings you in and you smile the whole time. His skating skills and rest of jumps were suberb and he just has that "it" factor. His day will come soon. The triple axels in practice were beautiful and they will be in competition too.
  8. misskarne

I only wish there were videos!
  9. babyskate

babyskate New Member

If you can get US television they will definately show Joshua and possibly Jason on Sunday at 3PM EST. Hope it can work out for you!! I am looking forward to watching.
  10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

All Jason needs it to start hitting the 3axel consistently then move onto the quad. He has everything else already. he draws you in when he skates.
  11. pinky166

I'm pretty sure both boys will make the NBC broadcast. There are likely nbc streams online.
  12. misskarne

Ladies and Gentlemen - we have a video of Josh at last!

Japanese commentary, I couldn't make out much of it, but they seemed quite happy.

It's wonderfully divine, even the :yikes: moment on the 3Lz-3T. The crowd certainly appreciated it - lots of clapping at different points during the program.

I also caved and bought an IceNetwork subscription, and I'm so glad I did. Jason was lovely. Sure, he fell, but the rest of it was just wonderful. Plus, it means that I have finally seen the press conference that half my Twitter feed was cooing over. Josh is rather shy and adorable!

Oh, and here is the video of Jason's LP runthrough from a couple of days ago. I think he has actually gotten more flexible. Also intrigued by this 3Lz-.5Lo-2S combo (I assume it's meant to be 3S).
  13. pinky166

Josh in the press conference was so cute, I think Jeremy and Ross were enjoying it too judging from the looks on their faces. It's always nice to see a young skater who's so excited and star struck to be in medal position at a big competition like this. I hope he and Jason both :kickass: in the FS and are happy with themselves, whatever the outcome may be. Gonna be an exciting 2 final flights :watch: ! And Josh skating in pimpspot!
  14. misskarne

Congratulations Joshua on your pewter medal! :cheer: :kickass:

His free skate was simply enchanting. Even with the fall, it was so great! And he was so happy!

Jason wound up 8th, which is an improvement on previous years, and he got credit for a 3A-3T in the long though the 3T<.

Josh has been named third alternate for Senior Worlds and both he and Jason are named to the Junior Worlds team with Shotaro Omori. :cheer:

Speaking of Junior Worlds, that could be a bloodbath! Josh, Jason, Han Yan, Boyang Jin, Maxim Kovtun possibly...wow! :watch:
  15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

They both did great. Congratulations:))))
  16. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I am more impressed than ever with both of these young men. So much fun to watch.
    On to Junior Worlds!!!
  17. misskarne

If you have IceNetwork, there is a very cute interview with Michael Buckley and Jason that features two important things:

1. A sort-of-promise elicted that Jason needs to be on Twitter

2. Jason can sing, although he appears to have forgotten most of the words to "A Whole New World".

:lol:
  18. pinky166

So proud of these guys! It's so funny seeing the interviews, they both have such great personalities. Jason is so funny and outspoken and just nice, genuine, silly. Josh is shy and kind of awkward! It's actually really adorable. It's nice to know his skating success and good looks haven't gone to his head!! Both guys made me smile very big :D at various points of the National Championships.

And yes, junior worlds should be exciting! Tanaka (who did very well at Japanese Nats) and Hino are also strong entries, as will be the Russian team members, regardless of if Kovtun is on that team or not. Also when Omori hits his 3a he's quite a lovely skater capable of putting up big marks. Should be a great event!
  19. pinky166

20. misskarne

Sarah and Drew cracked me up at work today.

Here's the pic that went with.

Maybe I could get a t-shirt with "Brownie" on it? But what on earth would a collective of Josh fans be called?
  21. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

You could get a shirt that reads

GO FARRIS!
    :slinkaway: Just Joshing :slinkaway:
  22. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The Farris Wheel.
  23. pinky166

Green Joshi? Like Green Yoshi from Mario Kart, Josh does like video games and he's young and his skating is organic so the green fits too :p :lol:
  24. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Green is bad luck in skating. Did you see this bit from IN:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130129&content_id=41240318&vkey=ice_news

Don't jinx Josh with Green
  25. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia!
  27. misskarne

I always love Jason's blogs. They're so happy and excited. Plus, he obviously loves his food...some of his descriptions were mouthwatering. (And made me think: poor Josh! Suitcase full of food again!)

Also, I don't know how many people picked it up, but congratulations to Kori who is pregnant again!
  28. pinky166

My sister has an anaphylactic allergy to dairy (and eggs, and nuts, and some other things too) and Italian food is hard because she really can't eat most of it, all that cheese on most everything, sure it's the same deal for Josh but maybe he can find some pasta dishes with tomato or oil based sauces that are still yummy cheese free. No gelato for him though :( :lol:. On the upside, as hard as nutrition must be for him, it probably makes it easier to stay healthy and trim, being allergic to so much fattening and junky foods! I know my little sister finds that, well except she loves bacon.

Good luck to the boys this week. Maybe the Americans can go 1-2-3, doesn't seem out of the realms of possibility at this point, really. They are all so good!
  29. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I hope Ice Network is paying Jason Brown for his blogs. They are intelligent, charming, and full of joy, and always presents the US team in a warm and enthusiastic light. He shows genuine interest in people and places; every blog is a mini-news report on how everyone else is doing with occasional journalistic "interviews" with teammates.

A few years ago when I first heard of Brown, he was quoted saying he is "almost always happy." His personality totally comes through in his writing. What a lovely young man.

I think USFS should put him in front of every media outlet and make him into the next Michelle Kwan, ie, ambassador to the nonskating world. Pronto.
  30. Sylvia

Damon Allen speaks well of his pupil in this Junior Worlds men/pairs preview article (cross-posting link in the Jr. Worlds forum in K&C and the U.S. Pairs thread in GSD): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130226&content_id=42015920&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
  31. Sylvia

Jason's Wednesday blog is up and there's also an accompanying gallery of his photos on IN.

Jason is scheduled to skate his SP on Thursday morning at 9:55 am Eastern time, followed by an ice make, then Joshua at 10:23 am Eastern. If you don't have access to the 2013 Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry, there's an Internet viewing options thread in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...cluding-un-geoblocked)-for-2013-Junior-Worlds
  32. misskarne

Cheers, Sylvia!

Jason has also updated his blog - and is still excited for his food. ;)
  33. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying Jason's blog so much!
    All the best to both Jason and Joshua tomorrow.
  34. pinky166

Good luck guys! And too Shotaro Omori too! Glad Jason is enjoying the food, he looks so skinny in those icenetwork pictures, he could benefit from some more big Italian dinners :lol: (though perhaps he may have just grown taller). Really hoping the US guys can bring it!
  35. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Good luck to these two young men. I think they will both podium.:cheer:
  36. misskarne

Can't wait for the short programs!

Josh and Jason in a Wednesday backstage photo: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gallery.jsp?content_id=42047226 (picture 12). Once again, confusion about their relative heights...I can't see if Josh is wearing his skates, but suddenly they seem much closer together in height than they were at the JGPF. Which might explain Jason's apparent thin-ness if he has grown again.
  37. misskarne

After the short programs!

1st - Joshua! Stunning 3A, lovely 3Lz-3T, :eek: 3F but stayed upright no hands, great spins, great footwork, 75.85!

3rd - Jason! Fantastic 3A, :eek: 3Lz-three turn-2T (ran out of room), pretty 3F, two great spins and one a bit hairy, great footwork, 70.06!

And the guy between?

Shotoro Omori! Nice 3A, 3Lz-3T and a bit of an :eek: 3F, good spins, good footwork, 70.82!

A Team USA sweep of the small medals! :cheer:
  38. pinky166

Icenetwork has a picture of all 3 US guys standing side by side with their small medals. Omori is actually the tallest! Josh is about 2 inches taller than Jason, I think it's been that way for a while now. Josh looks tall because of his build but that really is not the case, and his big growthspurt was when he was about 15, earlier than Jason, since then he's maybe grown 2 or 3 inches gradually. My guess is Josh is about 5'9" and Jason about 5'7", the difference can seem a bit more or less depending on the state of Josh's hair and whether Jason cocks his head or not. Jason is definitely not tall, I think one just forgets how incredibly tiny he used to be. Josh is one of those skaters like Alissa or Christina who looks very tall in skates then in regular shoes you realize they are really not very tall at all...the only one who's info is obviously outdated is Omori who clearly is not 5'6" or 5'7" anymore.
  39. Sylvia

40. pinky166

Wow what a great pic! Can't help but notice what nice skin and smiles our three guys have :D