The Joshua and Jason Uber Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by misskarne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Haha, all excellent points.

And btw, Nathan Chen is competition for these two guys. He just scored 75.15 for his SP at JGP Austria...that's 3 points higher than Josh scored for his SP two weeks ago. Holy cow. But yeah the judges obviously like him and having seen the video the kid is amazing and deserves those kinds of marks. A JW with Jason, Josh, and Nathan could do some serious damage I think!

2. misskarne

misskarne #408

Well, we just had the college discussion about Jason, now it's Josh's turn. Apparently he plans to graduate by "spring or early summer" and then take one or two classes at a community college.

Thanks to Sylvia for the article just posted in the US Men's Thread:

Farris seeks passion, finds gold

This is quite fascinating. It's like with every article/interview we get to peek just a little tiny bit more behind the door.

I like the nod towards Damon and Christy and "training smart". I love the comment about finding passion, also - and running through in front of the closet mirrors.

He seems very clever and very switched on in terms of skating and how it all works together. Josh is a guy who could probably become a pretty good coach/choreographer when he's done competing. He seems very keen to continually improve himself.

Anyone else notice that both Josh and Jason's LPs this year are on the theme of love? :)

3. misskarne

misskarne #408

4. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

I think it was probably UR too, but yeah, I'm happy he just put it out there and he can use the judge feedback for the FS, and I hope, the JGP Final.

5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Checked the protocols and it was severely ur'd - <<. But, his position in the air was really nice and I'm happy he's going for it. Just keep at it until you get it!

6. misskarne

misskarne #408

I thought it may have been UR too, but I was really shocked to see the downgrade. I didn't think it was that bad! But then this seems to be a repeat of the crazy strict tech panel from Courchevel/Lake Placid. At least there was no little (e) against his 3Lz this time!

I'm sure he'll nail it in the long!

I'm so excited to see him bring it at last! :rollin:

7. pinky166

I'm relieved he tried it. Yes, it was downgraded and not clean but I don't care about that, all I care about is that he's going for it. Further, despite the downgrade and negative GOE, he still managed a decent score and is leading the competition, which is promising. Hopefully he gets full credit for the jump in the FS.

8. babyskate

babyskate New Member

I am so happy Jason tried the triple axel. I posted the link to his 2011 Senior National debut. This program made me a fan. I urge you to watch it all the way through as the last minute is incredible. I know great things are to come from this hugely talented young man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5d4knHCWuY

9. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I'm just worried that Jason is going to end up like Adam Rippon. Like Adam his other jumps are not really big either and ;ets face it big jumps are more impressive and catch the judges eyes.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  10. misskarne

misskarne #408

Actually I feel Jason's other jumps are all pretty good, especially his toe and flip. I see no reason why he couldn't attempt a quad on either of those jumps.

The 3A he attempted in the SP was pretty close, really. The air position was decent, he just didn't get his free leg out in time, and that will come. (Especially if he goes back to the bit of advice Josh gave him over the summer. :p) I still think he was stiffed on the downgrade call.

I'll be interested to see if a) he attempts it again in the LP - he has a 5 point lead which is okay but not great if he falls; and b) how it looks there.

I think he gets nervous trying the jump and that can't be helped by everyone staring at him waiting for him to land it. It's just a hunch based on the body language going into it. He telegraphs the backward edge for a LOT longer on the 3A than the 2A.

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Jammers, do you ever make a positive comment?

12. pinky166

So I'm starting to worry about Jason. Yes he won this JGP event and will qualify for the JGPF, but his score is worrisome, not even breaking the 200 mark. And he again didn't fully rotate or cleanly land the one 3a he tried. He hasn't grown since last season, I haven't heard that he's injured, so I have to wonder if the 3a is ever going to be a consistent jump for him at this point, it's just getting very late in terms of his age to acquire that jump and truly "have it" in his arsenal. His artistry is lovely, as are his spins, but it seems like the judges are holding back his PCS a bit because of his technical limitations, which is frustrating. And he got edge calls on his lutz AND flip in the FS...without a quad and a 3a that's still in development, he really cannot afford to give up any additional points like that. The 3f edge call seemed to be a fluke but he does have a flutz, it's not terrible but I think, especially now that it's started getting called, he's going to get dinged for it more often than not. I'm not giving up hope yet, he's such an exquisite skater with a distinct, unique style which is awesome, but I think some big changes regarding coaching and/or training methods, regimens, location, schedules, etc are going to have to be in the cards for him, and soon, if he wants to have a shot at making it on the senior international stage.

13. misskarne

misskarne #408

I'm not!

Although admittedly his lack of 200+ is :confused: and :eek:.

Actually, if we ignore the two-foot landing, I thought the landings were very solid. It was quite funny - he was majorly crossed up especially on the LP one but he didn't even look like he was going to fall. Rather impressive.

He was much closer on the LP one, and I think he'll get it. Hopefully, sooner rather than later. He was rather close. If he can get his free leg unstuck, I think we'll see him landing it.

I'm glad he's trying it.

The flip call has to be a freak call because his flip is gorgeous. The lutz has been a flutz for several seasons now, as I said after Courchevel I'm surprised it's taken this long to be called. (Interestingly, the flutz wasn't called in the SP here.)

Disagree. And after this year when he graduates school he may switch to skating full-time anyway and who knows, maybe that'll be the tip over the edge he needs. Anyway, I disagree that he needs such a dramatic shakeup as you describe. Maybe bringing in someone else to work with him on jumps wouldn't be a bad idea...paying a visit to Ilia Kulik in California, for example, might be beneficial. But I disagree with the attitude that just because he's struggling with the 3A means he should ditch Kori.

14. pinky166

Has Kori ever coached a top international competitor on the senior level though? She's a wonderful coach, I just can't help but wonder if Jason's "outgrown" her in a sense and she just can't offer much more to him, in which case he'd be better off somewhere else. He's just so talented that I'd hate to see it all go to waste b/c he has 3a issues which could potentially, I'm not saying definitely, be corrected with a fresh outlook and different training regime or something. Everything else is there already, but the difference btwn being someone who won't even get a GP assignment to one who has the potential of being a world medal contender, is his lack of a 3a and quad, and he said he won't even start working on a quad until he gets his 3a solid, and it isn't yet, so I just worry about him constantly trying to play catch up. And his PCS could easily and deservedly be higher than they are but I think judges are holding him back because of his limited tech, which is annoying but it seems to happen a lot.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

16. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I don't think leaving Kori is the answer, nor is it likely to happen. Kori and Jason are very close. Also, when you say "has she ever had a top competitor', one has to start somewhere don't they? One can only work with the talent they have, and Jason was her first very talented skater, and thus her first to have moderate success. It's not like all great coaches just start with championship skaters; they must have their first great skater at some point. Kori also coaches junior medal contender Jordan Moeller, whom from what I hear, has been landing both triple triple combos and 3As.

Jason also has worked with Rafael and other jump coaches on his jumps, so I think given the right amount of time he will get that axel consistent. As for the quad, I don't think one has to have a consistent axel to do a quad, though it helps. AFAIK he works on quads, and sometimes I know skaters can get a sal or a toe before a double axel, perhaps it can work the same with quads.

misskarne and (deleted member) like this.
  17. misskarne

misskarne #408

Lovely! I do love his "Drop in the Ocean". I think this is a much more mature presentation of it. I don't know if it's just that dark blue shirt but he does look bigger in the chest now.

And thankyou to whoever recorded it for zooming in on his happy little face at the end! :rollin:

18. misskarne

misskarne #408

:cheer2:

I remember reading somewhere that very occasionally he'll try one in the harness, but it's not a focus for him yet. Fair enough. But he has a nice triple toe so I think the quad will be fine. I would even suspect the quad flip could be a prospect for him.

He's so close. Ridiculously close. I can't wait to see him land it properly!

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  20. misskarne

misskarne #408

Nice pics! I see Jason was keen to lay all the blame for shopping in Courchevel at Kori's feet, but he seems to have indulged himself :lol: :p

And Nina is right, of course, everyone needs some Jason! ;)

Love the blog! He always seems so excited - I always get that vibe from his interviews/articles. The massage place they went to sounds heavenly and the rink sounds amazing!

And nice to see that more of his family made the trip to Turkey! It's nice to see his Aunt Gayle's name popping up again - she was the one Jason skated for at Skate for Hope in 2008.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

"Five favorite things with Joshua Farris": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120924&content_id=38941966&vkey=ice_news
    Good luck to him this week in Bled, Slovenia!

Jason Brown will perform in the "Evening with Champions" Jimmy Fund benefit show at Harvard this weekend - link to the event thread in GSD (where reports, photos, etc. will be posted): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84657

ETA link to an article I posted in GSD in which Kori Ade and other U.S. coaches are quoted re. how they help their skaters deal with competition nerves: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85084

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  22. misskarne

misskarne #408

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sylvia again."

You are laden with goodies today Sylvia! Thankyou! :)

23. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

I have received that message many times! :)

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

25. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

He's fast becoming one of my favorite skaters ever! I'm seeing so much influence from Jeremy Abbott and Stephane Lambiel in terms of his style of movement. Thanks for posting! :swoon::cheer2:

26. misskarne

misskarne #408

Here's his FS from Slovenia!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec0vwjBlQnE

Not quite clean and not quite as good as that amazing performance in Lake Placid, but still a good skate. He fought back well from that fall - very surprising that fall, maybe even for him! Shame he popped the quad to a triple, but he didn't need it in the end.

Ouch for his poor hand though.

So now Josh and Jason are both qualified (as the top two seeds, too, at the moment!) for the Junior Grand Prix Final (along with Boyang Jin). Josh is in tremendous form and Jason is getting better and better with each outing. But it's a long way til December.

27. pinky166

You could tell Josh fought through that long program, whereas in Lake Placid everything seemed to come very easily. It's okay though, he still won - by 25 points! - and this performance actually appeases my fears in some ways about him peaking too early in the season. This is a good building block, he had stiff competition at this event, he delivered, won, but still has room to improve. Landing the second 3a in combination late in the program was gutsy and impressive, and further, I think this skate should leave him hungry and anxious to improve, he was great, but his fans know and he obviously know he is capable of even better.

Excited to see Josh and Jason in December and see how things are looking then! That being said, still very impressed by Farris, he's improved a lot since last season, not only technically and in terms of consistency, but he seems to be more level-headed, less emotional, and a very good competitor now which is great to see and will serve him well as he moves on in his skating career.

28. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

29. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

When I first glanced at the protocols and saw the -1 deduction, I assumed he fell on the 4t. Glad to see he didn't try it and potentially fall again. He doesn't need to have his confidence rattled with that jump

30. misskarne

misskarne #408

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OH MY GOD. I think that was the only thing I could say or think the first time I watched this! :lol:

He is truly amazing! He gets so into it and draws you into it so well. Also, DANCE JASON DANCE!