The Joshua and Jason Uber Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by misskarne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Actually, 2nd assignments for Josh and Jason are still provisional. Last year they moved them around as necessary depending on the fields. We didn't know last year where Josh's second JPG would be until a couple weeks before. I wouldn't assume that they are "set in stone" until they appear on the USFSA site. http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216
    (And even then, they have been known to change those listings before too.) So Josh may not face Yan after all, they may shift him later.

2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:wall: Right, I was thinking of Courchevel while reading this, thus the :confused:

3. misskarne

misskarne #408

Ah, okay, that's good to know! I wouldn't think the USFSA would put either of them up against Han if they could avoid it. I mean, we know it'll happen at the JGPF, but why make the confrontation any earlier than it needs to be?

:lol: ;) Don't worry, we've all done it.

Just rewatched Josh's new SP from Vail and now I'm really, really excited to see it again, with a bit of extra polish, some extra stamina (aka not skating at altitude with asthma :p), and of course, costumed up. Unless he's really going for the simple black as his costume which could be interesting.

Very much looking forward to this! Draw tonight!

On another note, haven't they reduced the number of spots at JGPF? What does Jason need to do at his second assignment to get a place?

4. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

Last season, they reduced it from 8 to 6 spots, just like the seniors.
    Here's the current status (obviously doesn't say much since there's only been one event): http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2012/jgpsmen.htm

I think as long as Jason medals at his next event he will most certainly make the final. In the event he finishes fourth (which is pretty unlikely, given the current lineup for JGP Turkey if that is the event he ends up doing), he might still make it but may need help from other skaters.

5. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

This must mean Jason has been assigned officially to the JGP in Turkey because it takes place the week before EWC. :)

Last year, Japan's Keiji Tanaka grabbed the 6th and final men's spot for the JGP Final with a silver and a bronze: http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2011/jgpsmen.htm
    This year, it likely will depend on how many different men win gold and/or silver medals.

ETA: USFS tweeted this photo of Joshua Farris at the Lake Placid JGP SP draw this morning.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

These two young men are very impressive but they will have to contend with another youngster, Hanyu who currently seems to be in his own league. Hope Jason gets his 3A soon. If he can get a quad, he will stand a very good chance of meeting Hanyu head on. Good luck to these two budding young men.

8. misskarne

misskarne #408

Thankyou! :cool:

Cool! Thankyou. Since there were no videos from the Courchevel gala I guess this will show us Jason's new ex :D

Great pic of Josh, did he cut his hair again do you think? Looks shorter from the back. Can't wait for the SP!

They also have to contend with Gachinski, and of course Han Yan. It's not going to be easy for them but since when is this sport ever easy? I'm sure they'll rise to the challenge spectacularly.

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-KtdZ6zxIg

Josh's SP. What do we think of this? On the plus side, his 3a looks better than ever, and his spins are really strong (though he didn't get level 4 on one), very intricate and well executed footwork, as well. The downside, I don't know, to me the program seemed a little...bland maybe? Or the music is a bit repetitive and doesn't rise and fall very much? Can't put my finger on it but perhaps it just needs mileage... when I saw it early in the summer at Vail I thought it had loads of potential. Maybe I was just expecting it to be as great as Clare de Lune though which was obviously going to be a tall order considering how fabulous that program was for Josh...

I digress...to be honest, I think I'm just not a huge fan of the costume, as petty as that sounds, and that is effecting my impression. Josh is so elegant he can pull off pretty much anything and I don't think the program is a total bust, obviously the score is pretty strong so it was well received by judges, I guess I was just maybe expecting more. Also I see he got that pesky edge call on his flip...does he really lip? I hadn't really noticed before.

In any event he's set himself up well for the FS, where he mentioned he's going to try a quad toe - YAY! :cheer2: - and Tanaka who was his main competition finds himself trailing Josh by almost 14 points, so I imagine Josh is feeling confident. If Keiji skates up to form, the FS results should be exciting and both men have the potential to put up really big numbers, but we shall see what happens. Hoping Josh goes for the 4t!

Anyone else's thoughts on Josh/his new SP/his skating in general? I will say it looks like he's filled out noticeably since last season and I think it's a good thing, judging from that wonderful, powerful 3a I'd say the weight has helped his jumps, but mostly he just looks more manly. I miss the long hair, though :p

10. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

I'm not a huge fan of the music... It seems like he was having trouble connecting to it? He's a very graceful skater, and I enjoyed watching him, but that music is pretty boring.

That said, this looked like he would have been fine with it at the starting end of the senior GP. Just IMO.

11. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Thanks for the link, pinky!
    Yeah, I think he was a bit distant to music, too. Landings were slightly worrisome but this is the first competition of the season, so I expect them to be better as time goes on. Heck, the scores he earned was three points shy of his personal best. And I'm really happy for that gorgeous 3 axel he threw. Spins were there, steady, and footwork was just :swoon: Way to Sochi and PC will be very interesting and amazing to watch.

12. misskarne

misskarne #408

I LOVE it. I think it's wonderful! So mature and showing off all his good qualities. His lines, his fabulous jumps, his wonderful spins - and I love the new broken leg variation. The footwork is just divine.

I'm :( about the lack of blue but I actually really like it. It makes him look so much older. :swoon:

Like Jason but inverted, Josh comes scarily close to flat a lot of the time on the flip entry. Between seven flip "e" calls here and the bazillion Lutz "e" in Courchevel I think the tech panels have decided to be extra hard on it this year.

I would LOVE to see him nail the 4T. If he can do that he can win the whole season even with some of the jumps Han Yan is reportedly now landing. He's got such a huge advantage over Yan in the PCS department (unless Yan has improved this in the summer break) that any improvement to Josh's TES pushes him ahead. Remember, Josh nearly won Junior Worlds without even attempting a 4T.

I agree he seems to have put on some weight (so maybe he got his wish! :lol:), although it's not much. He certainly does look older. The short hair helps with that but it's in his face, too. He really does look like a young man now instead of an older boy. And he sure skates like it, too! :p

I think he's connecting to it but at a much more subtle and less obvious level than he did with Clair de Lune and even the Rach program. I think it's going to evolve through the season. Josh has said he loves this music so I can't imagine that he won't connect with it.

Doug Mattis agrees with you (from his Twitter):

Agreed with all of this - although I'm not worried about the jump landings at this point. I think Josh is going to surprise a few people this season and if he can hold it together at Nationals he could cause a big upset.

The fact that his score was only three points less than his PB - at the opening JGP of the season - is mighty impressive especially when there's room for improvement! Imagine if he skated it totally clean and with all level 4s (ala Jr Worlds last year) - this is an 80 point program at least.

Anyway, Josh had this to say too after his skate on Twitter:

There's also an Icenetwork article about it here. As much as I hate comparisons and already have shown how much I hate Josh being compared with people...I could go for this one! :lol:

:rofl:

13. pinky166

You guys make great points. And I do agree on the whole. He really is ready for the senior GP, but there are a lot of guys on the JGP this season who could really fit in fine with the seniors (Brown, Tanaka, Yan, Kovtun, etc.) so I'm not too worried about Josh or any of these guys not being pushed on the junior circuit. And the program does have good scoring potential, because the edge call cost him a couple points, the landing of the combo wasn't ideal so he could gain a point or two there, same goes with the spin that was level 3, and just the fact that it's a new program (we've seen Josh get mostly 7s for PCS before like he did at JW, and here they were pretty much all mid-6s), so add it all up, and yeah, around 80 points, more if he's brave enough to try the 4t there in senior comps, which would also enable him to do the 3lz as a solo jump and avoid the possible edge call. So yeah.

I giggled at the Plushy comparison too, but, I am admiring Josh's SP consistency. It's such a relief that his 3a is so solid and wonderful just whereas Jason's lack of trying the jump is turning me into a nervous wreck and being fans of Jeremy and Tomas always made me worry about that jump and successfully landing it.

I'm really excited for the FS. I loved his FS from last season and it seems like he's kept the same one or just altered it slightly. I'd love to see both Josh and Tanaka skate lights out in the FS b/c the scores could really be huge!

14. pinky166

Josh Farris just might be my new favorite American male skater. He just skated FANTASTICALLY at the JGP! He could have easily played it safe and won but he went all out and threw it down. He landed, I believe a 3a-3t and a 4t, his only mistake were a few wobbly landings and he doubled out of the 2nd 3a planned late in the program. But a score of 146+ in a junior event this early in the season bodes REALLY well for him. With more polish and that 2nd 3a added in, this program could score over 160 potentially, at least at nationals. Wow. Just overall really, really impressed. Worlds this season isn't entirely out of the question if he continues to build like this, it really isn't, Ricky Dornbush did it in 2011 after all, and he didn't come on really strong until the JGPF, finishing 4th in one of his events either. Gah i'm so :rollin: :respec: for Josh right now! Winning that JW silver medal seems to have given him loads of confidence and so glad to see such a beautiful 3a and 4t from him! I bet the likes of Lysacek, Weir, Rippon, and Miner would love to have a 3a and 4t like that. Of course Dornbush and Abbott do have them, but idk, things are looking EXCITING!

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

16. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Josh was fabulous :swoon:. I love his sparkly costume, and his jumps and spread eagle were awesome. And he pointed his toes, too. He's so hot :swoon:

17. pinky166

Josh really does have it all. The big jumps, the spins, the elegance, the looks (his blue eyes are dreamy...i feel bad saying this because he's only 17 but yeah, um), and now he seems to have a new confidence too which I love. He could have easily played it safe, not gone for the 4t, or even the 3a-3t, and still won handily (he only needed a score of 110), but he went all out and rocked it. I like to see that in skaters. Plus I was impressed at that beaut of a 4t because in the warmup, he had a very awkward pop/stumble on a 4t attempt that looked a little scary. Now I'm excited for Chen next week!

18. flipforsynchro

He has a nice butt, too. And his landing position is wonderful :)

19. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Joshua:cheer: Brilliant!
    If you have that option, please watch his programs on icenetwork. ISU videos are not in sync. Again. And it makes tremendous difference in perception. I started watching LP on ISU video and stopped, thinking- no, that just cannot be. Went to icenetwork- a totally different story, everything makes musical sense. Just to explain- the hands in the opening go on beats 2 and 3, NOT on 1 and 2. On icenetwork video he shows the accents beautifully throughout, wonderful expression.
    I wonder what is the ISU deal. Do they combine music and video later and just sync the beginnings, regardless whether a skater moves right away?...
    I need to write to them...

20. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Well done. I enjoy watching this skate. Joshua Farris has improved a lot since last year. Can't wait to watch the skate off between the very promising current group of youngsters .. all under age 19! Men figure skating is pushing its boundaries thanks to this group of very talented skaters. :swoon:

21. jlai

jlai Title-less

I love Josh's skate. His costumes at Lake Placid, not so much.

22. flipforsynchro

They're so sparkly, but simple. And they make his butt look very nice :swoon:

23. misskarne

misskarne #408

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

Fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. I wonder how many USFSA officials are second-guessing themselves now. If he can bring that to Nationals he can really shake it up.

The grin on his face when he lands the 4T is just awesome! He didn't just nail it either - he NAILED it. Never any doubt he would land it, it looked as natural as anything! And that 3A-3T was lovely.

A couple of the other jumps were wonky, but that's okay. And he got edge-called on the flip again. Hmm. But looking at that and the levels and so on...again, this is easily a 150+ program. Which is just...wow.

24. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Josh totally killed the competition! WOW! So thrilled to see him attempt and wonderfully succeed 4t! He's really got the superior jumping ability.

That edge call was really dubious. I don't get this call from either his FS or SP.

25. misskarne

misskarne #408

Really? I actually like them! The SP one takes a bit of getting used to, but it makes him look so much older. And the LP one with the blue really suits him.

36 points isn't killing the competition, it's slaughtering them! :lol:

The 4T was just so lovely. He looked like it was never in doubt.

As to the edge call, well...he's been borderline before. But IA the LP one was a bit harsh. Still, it seems the tech panels have set the standard and they're going to be crazy about everything.

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Wow. I am going to start uber-ing this kid even more. I forget he's just 17

27. pinky166

Josh's lip is borderline, in the past, he sometimes gets edge calls on it, and sometimes not. Lipping is a pretty common problem with male skaters, and it's not the end of the world, especially because Josh's is not that bad and not always called or even executed. This technical panel was tough, as was the one in Courchevel last week. He's probably working on making sure the edge stays more inside, and this could be why he was saying his lutzes had been giving him a bit of trouble recently, sometimes working on the jump with the opposite edge take off can result in the one you do with the right edge takeoff to suffer a bit.

In any event, I am so happy for this kid and hope he can continue to build this season and keep his confidence levels so high. Winning that silver medal at JW seems to have given him a lot of confidence which is showing through here. In the past, Josh has been a pretty consistent SP skater, but the FS has not always been his friend, not saying he's a headcase prone to bombing or anything like that, but in the past, he'd usually make a couple/few costly mistakes in most of his longs, so the fact that this one was so strong, and that he went all out when he knew he could have played it safe, this early in the season no less, is really promising. I hope he keeps it up because that was just wonderful and there's potential for him to get even better.

Also, misskarne, really, when you look at the protocols, this program can be over 150 points easily. In junior competitions, if clean 155+ and in it's senior version 160+ potentially, especially at Nationals where we see PCS inflation for skaters a lot. If Josh keeps skating well and going for ambitious content, his PCS will only get higher, and he left around 5 points on the table with doubling out on the 2nd axel, then a handful of points btwn the level 3 spin, UR 3lo with -GOE, and the edge call for the borderline flip that to me really is a flip. Further, that 4t was so beautiful too and looked effortless, that I'm sure the possibility of trying it in the SP or possibly 2 in the FS has been discussed. For now, in junior competitions, he certainly doesn't need to do that and probably shouldn't just so he doesn't wear himself out or risk injuries so early on, but looking towards the future when he makes the jump to seniors, and maybe even for Nationals this season or next, who knows.

I personally love his FS costume. The blue sparkles accentuate his eyes and the cut of the top and pants make him look very tall and broad shouldered, which is great, but I know from seeing pictures of him off the ice and considering he's only 5'8" to 5'9" (according to listings), he's actually a pretty small and slender guy. The SP costume I agree made him look older, stronger and sturdier too I would say, but I'm not sure what I think of the amount of sparkles, the orangey color of them, and the neckline of the top. But he's a good looking kid so he can pull it off well and obviously once he starts skating I'm paying attention to that.

Han Yan vs. Farris should be exciting this season now that we've seen Farris go for a land the 4t. I wonder if Yan will try 4s in competition? From practice videos I've seen, he is certainly capable of the jump. All this just makes me wonder about Jason Brown, obviously, his PCS, fabulous spins, and usual jump consistency on the jumps he does do, and back-loaded programs, will help him stay afloat, but with Yan, Farris, and Jin all capable of quads (Yan potentially 2) on top of the 3a, and skaters like Tanaka, Hino, Chen, Kovtun, etc with the 3a in their competitive arsenal, I wonder where Brown will stack up. Hopefully, he tries 3a at his next event, and with some success with that jump, I'm sure he'll be among the top or at least near it, but it sure is interesting.

Also, as for 2nd assignments, I wonder what the USFS will do. Obviously, or it at least appears so at this point, Josh has the best shot of any of the American men to beat Han Yan, or at least give him a run for his money, and after winning his 1st event in such a dominant fashion, to qualify for the JGPF he'd probably only need a 4th place finish at his 2nd event to make it, so in that sense, sending him makes sense. However, I wonder if it would be smarter for USFS to assign 2 men who don't really have chances to make it to the JGPF to that event so that Han Yan can win without it hurting the chances or reputation of any of the US men with good chances to make the JGPF. Brown has a good chance, and we'll see how Chen does next week, so we can assume neither of them will be sent to compete against Yan, but considering the pool of men this season is pretty small, you wonder if they might not send someone like Choate out again, along with maybe Kaugers or someone else that hasn't been assigned yet, potentially 2 men that haven't been assigned yet that aren't favored to make the final, just so none of our top guys have to go head-to-head with Yan before the JGPF. Thoughts? Idk if it's a good idea to send Josh to compete against Han Yan. In some ways, I think it would be very exciting, but in others, why not wait until the final and send Josh to a 2nd event where he might not feel so much pressure to deliver exceptionally again. Hmm

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  28. misskarne

misskarne #408

Easy to forget! Exciting, isn't it?

It seems to be a common theme among men. Plushy lips too. I wonder why that is?

I agree with that! We all know there was a massive difference between 2010-2011 Josh and 2011-2012 Josh, but I reckon there's just as big a difference between 2011-2012 Josh and 2012-2013 Josh. Not only does he have extra confidence, he has belief that he CAN do it. He knows he nearly won JW against a skater with a quad when he didn't have one. Now he has one, his confidence must be sky high.

I thought Jason was just being fanboy when he described Josh as "popping off quad toes all over the place". Now it's obvious that Jason was just describing what he was seeing at the rink. Exciting!

Well, I don't think quads are allowed in the SP at Junior level? So we wouldn't see it until Nationals if they did decide to put it in the short. If they do and he nails both programs...well.

I agree that this could really be a high-scoring program. He could easily put up a 230+ score this year if he keeps skating like this. That's a Senior-winning score.

I love both his costumes. The Rach one is still gorgeous. But I really love the Bach one. It makes him look older, more powerful, and really shows off his lines and grace.

2014 Worlds. Josh and Jason promised!

I have faith in Jason. He'll get there, I'm sure of that!

I'm no longer afraid of Josh vs Han. It was so close between them last year when Josh didn't have the quad. Josh can beat him now. No disrespect to Han who is a very fine skater but Josh has him nailed on PCS.

29. pinky166

Yan and Farris had the same PCS in the FS at JW last year though, and Yan had the highest PCS in the SP, so while Josh seems a whole lot more artistic, it isn't reflected in the marks from the judges. At least not at this point. Anyways I was more just wondering if USFS wants to put their strongest guy against Yan at the next JGP Han Yan will be at, or send two newbies who are not expected to place against him instead. I don't think it would be wise to send someone like Brown or probably Chen to compete against Yan but beyond that I don't know which approach is better.

As for Jason, I really hope you are right. I just feel for him, and seeing poor Adam Rippon struggle with the 3a for years and years now makes me apprehensive.

30. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but Josh has an excellent shot at being Jr. World Champ this season. If he goes into the Sochi season as Jr. World Champ, is that a better position to be in rather than just a top Sr. US guy who may have a couple of GP medals? Just curious as to how TPTB perceive Jr. World Champs heading into the Seniors.