The Joshua and Jason Uber Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by misskarne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

He was just stunning in the SP, and his reaction after the marks wa fab. I love his skating and personality, and he is still very young. I hope ha will see him skating long and winning a lot of different titles.

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

JBrown is winning me over. I still don't think his jumps are that great (except the tano 3lz), but everything else he does is sublime. His spins are the Czisny equivalent of the men's field and I love how he just immerses himself into the character of the program on the step sequence. Also nice to see him getting PCS he deserves out on the senior ranks, I think it's awesome he's in 2nd ahead of all those big names at SA! I also think his skating has gotten faster since last season, which is great and adds a new dimension to everything. Costume is weird but better than last year, I finally understand the baggy pants I think, he is soo thin through the lower body!

3. scheffie

scheffie New Member

Glad to read that some of you fans are finally catching on to the fact that Jason's skating skills are superior to most of the men's skating. His brilliance speaks for itself. I wish him the best of luck at Nationals and beyond. He also speaks kindly and his humility will keep him shining. I've watched him for many years and he just continues to prove himself as a contender. What a role model for the United States in men's figure skating.

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Jason is one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to Nationals so much!

5. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Jason was very tight tonight. He was landing 3A left and right in the practice session and at least 1 during warmup.

6. valyrian

valyrian New Member

Jason was visibly nervous tonight but he got the loudest cheers from the audience. I'm sure his nerves will be worked out come TEB.

7. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Not bad at all, if skated clean he would've medalled imho. And since he's not doing a quad, he *must* skate clean, no question about it in order to medal on the big international stage, and mayhap even at Nationals, especially if the others skate clean with quads. However, if they fail, then he has a chance to win it all at Nationals. jmho. :)

8. NadineWhite

Ooops, forgot to add Joshua Farris, it'll be interesting to see how he skates on the Sr. GP...

9. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Seeing Jason live was AMAZING. He filled the ice and was the most phenomenal skate outside of Machida. Riverdance is such a great program for him and I am just so incredibly glad that I had the chance to see it live. No matter what Jason should be proud! :)

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Getting PCS in the 8s in your first GP is something. They could still be higher though. Love that he and Rippon were killing Aaron in PCS.

Anyways, perhaps the 3axel3toe is a bad idea. Better just do 3axel2toe and 3axel, and tag the 3toe onto the 3flip.

11. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Fifth in his maiden GP is something to really be excited about, especially since he only found out about this one quite late.

Now it's Josh's turn to make a splash! Skate Canada up next!

EDIT:

Yay, I got to watch a video.

Jason has a special magic that isn't common amongst skaters - and particularly not of his age. He smiles that infectious smile and you feel like clapping anyway. The crowd was definitely sold anyway, they were cheering loudly for that first spiral (which, admittedly, is very cheer-worthy!).

I haven't seen him breathing that hard before the program and looking that nervous since JGP Courchevel last year. He looked just like that before the SP at that event and the SP was, by his standards, a disaster. So getting a bit too wound up is something that he's just going to have to work through. It was only his first Senior GP so it'll come, he'll learn to handle it with time.

He was definitely off the music though, and a lot of his elements looked almost panicked, like, oh my gosh, I have to chase this music down! He was definitely rushing through both step sequences, and he didn't take his usual lines into either 3A.

But that moment right before the first step sequence, where he's just finished the spin, the crowd is up and clapping and with him, and the music is building - and he pivots in front of the crowd with that huge grin - that's just a winning moment. He suckers them all in and he knows it and he loves it. He's never had to play to a crowd this size before and he's fantastic at it.

Okay, Josh. Next weekend is Skate Canada. Jason has set the tone. What can you give us? (Looking forward to the delish tango again!)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  13. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Thank you for posting this. Those of us lucky enough to be in the arena to see the last practice before the men's free skate saw what Jason was capable of. FTR, I never liked Riverdance - until now! Jason skated with such assurance, such absolute joy, that he received the largest and longest ovation of any of the skaters.

My thought as I watched him, "OMG, he loves what he is doing!" I hope he never loses that love.

14. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I told him when I spoke to him on Sunday. He said that yes, he absolutely LOVES to be out there and LOVES to perform and I said, yep, it's obvious, and don't ever change!!

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Many thanks for telling Jason that; and sharing what he said with us!

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

New Icenetwork article by Sarah Brannen: Eager Farris battles nerves before Skate Canada
    Excerpt:

17. misskarne

Quad....flip...?

Okay, fine, here's my heart, look after it, it may not survive the season if you and Jason keep this up.

18. NadineWhite

Nice article about Joshua. He comes across as introspective, cerebral, shy, and nice. :) And I like how involved he gets into music, not just his own. Btw, I was surprised he didn't toe the party line and pick an American man as the one(s) he most looks up to (and I agree with him about Mr. Daisuke Takahashi; it doesn't get better than that). :cool:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO JOSH!!!:kickass:

19. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Frankly I was not a big fan of Jason Brown's Riverdance free skate. At Skate America he was too nervous to skate to its full potential, including the nonjumping aspects. But still, it was abundantly clear that he, like his role model Ryan Bradley, loves to perform to the audience. That's what he does for me. Because he loves it so much, he moves me to love it more. I look forward to seeing him killing it in Boston.

20. misskarne

I suppose it was always on the cards. Max did it too - got too nervous and too wound up and ended up messing up, but he did it in the SP and pulled his head together for the FS. Jason did the reverse - he had it all together for the SP, but maybe that contributed to the tension for the FS because suddenly it was a potential medal he was looking at.

21. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Bless your heart for telling Jason that, and for him sharing his love of skating/performing with you. I had no idea before this weekend that this was his first GP assignment.

22. misskarne

Joshua's SP from Skate Canada! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNsdjw19maY

He scored 69.14 (TES 33.11, PCS 36.03) and is 8th.

The popped quad sucks, but his refocusing was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab. I love this program.

Now for a haunting Schindler's List tomorrow!

23. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Yes, last season there seemed to be all sorts of rumblings about whether he had wanted to compete on the senior level. It made sense ultimately for him to seal his Junior career with the championships that he won.

24. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Well, the men's event was a bit of a splatfest, but Josh managed to pull up to 5th and was 4th in the FS so good for him! And he was the top American man at this event! Looking at the scores, his FS number was not that far off from Hanyu and Oda in 2nd and 3rd. A good step in the right direction for him. I also like this costume better, but still not sure if I'm sold on it. He totally could have landed that 4t too!

25. misskarne

Josh's LP to Schindler's List is absolutely STUNNING. Even with the mistakes, it makes a feeling in my heart...it's like going into a trance, watching him skate that program.

I love the new costume. My only issue is that maybe it needs a belt, or a few stitches in at the back, because right now, he doesn't always have a waist in it...

26. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I agree, looking forward to when he skates it to his potential.

27. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Joshua's skating is like a dream. He leaves me captivated and spellbound. I can say the same about Jason too. I am officially on the Joshua Farris/Jason Brown bandwagon for the long haul. Both of these young men have made me a fan for life. I am so impressed with them and they most certainly are the future, and perhaps the present, of US men's figure skating.

28. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Especially after watching some of the older US Men bomb this weekend. Both Jason and Joshua need to start landing the quad though to break through to the next level. Josh has already landed them before but is struggling and Jason has yet to try. Right now the US Men seem to either be able to land quads but lack skating skills like Max or not land quads like Josh and Jason but have the other skills to be champions one day but no one skater who has both at the moment.

29. misskarne

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why is there one thread for two skaters who are completely different? :confused: